Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMust Read for PA'rs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:03
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Indeed, Wilson has been pumping essentially the same music ever since Stupid Dreams (whether solo, blackfield or PT and hundreds of other collabs). He's got an instantly recognizable sonic paw, but he's been selling essentialkly the same thing over the years....

Please ...

That's like saying that Picasso never did ... or Mozart, where half of his stuff was so repetitive it was boring! ... or anyone else.

Ohhh c'mon ... like Harry Potter isn't? Or Chainsaw Massacre 69?

Give it a break ... that is not even a review of their work! That's just a comment that YOU are not hearing what you want ... and my suggestion would be ... go listen to something else! Why would you want to waste your time with crap? ... where is the logic in writing that, when there is so much good stuff that you can be writing about?

In between on a forum or something, just say ... nah, grew out of it 10 years ago ... end of story ...

It makes it all look like the very typical discussion and arguments that we have that the public "owns" the artist ... and they don't, and never will ... and if you don't like it, specially in the advertising age, go buy Lady Gaga! Don't waste your money on PT, or bothering saying anything!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:11
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

how can someone write insightful without having an unformatted opinon?

When you go to graduate school and write a paper off your opinion alone, and unfformatted ... I'm going to tell you ... good luck being in graduate school next quarter, because you WON'T.

And the same fate is going to befit us here if we don't improve our literary standard so we stop discussing these things like we don't care how it's done. If you want to be quoted like Wiki ... you have to get better, and all you're saying is that you don't care, because you think that your opinion is more important than anyone else's ... that is called in some circles "petty tyranny".

You can have an opinion, of course, and it is a part of the review ... but people are confusing the discussion and not reading the subtext ... transform your opinion into an intelligent discussion and comment ... not into a single paragraph saying that it is full of crap!

There is a massive difference ... massive!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 20:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I suspect that Moshkito made this thread due to me. From a comment I made elswhere. Glad I'm not going mad.

Don't you think that would be a bit personal and not worth my time or yours?

I just happened onto that article and it was a very good article and I sympathise with Steven from a literary point of view ... I was born in a house with 40k books of Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish Literature and while I have not gotten to the big banana in the literary circles, I can tell you that my dad, in my family, did, and he is in the Brittanica, if you care to be curious enough ... and all I'm asking and suggesting, is ... that we raise the standard a bit ... Snow Dog might not enjoy it, because his one word euphemisms might take a hit ... but that's ok ... he can do 2 word euphemisms and anything else too! Big smile

Basically, if you or I were teaching a class and had to grade folks on these things, a good 25% would not get very good ratings ... and you and I would ask for a rewrite, or it would be removed. But what you are saying is that you want to write whatever you want and no one is gonna do anything about it ... and that's ok ... and after a while all you have is good stuff buried along side all the crap ... how nice ... well, to be fiar, flowers do grow on dung!Cool
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 03:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You can have an opinion, of course, and it is a part of the review ... but people are confusing the discussion and not reading the subtext ... transform your opinion into an intelligent discussion and comment ... not into a single paragraph saying that it is full of crap!

There is a massive difference ... massive!

Not one person has disagreed with you about that. That's not WE mean by a review must be opinion. I sometimes wonder if you read OUR posts.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 04:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

you want to write whatever you want and no one is gonna do anything about it ... and that's ok ... and after a while all you have is good stuff buried along side all the crap ... how nice ... well, to be fiar, flowers do grow on dung!Cool

I sympathize with this complaint, and it will only get worse over time, but it is part of what makes this place dynamic and open, and as someone said awhile back; we wouldn't want things to become like masonry LOL  .. and at least collab reviews are separated

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 04:30
I will admit I rarely read non collab reviews cos I don't trust them. However some of them can be rather informed at times.

A CD review to me is 3 things:
1. an expose of the type of music you will hear
2. an opinion on whether or not the music appeals
3. a detailed informed analysis of the overall purpose, concept and thematic content.

And you can write academically or in an analytical sense, or you can choose to be more personal. Either way the review must at least review the music, some of the tracks should be mentioned and the artists styles should get a mention.

Theres no worng or right way i guess but a review with at least some of these things gains my respect. Reviewers that churn out one review after another that just goes for the jugular - stating the music is crap without any justification soon wears thin, and nobody can trust that type of review.   

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 10 2011 at 04:32
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 04:55
Quote Enjoy it ... but some of you won't read it because it is a bit long ... ohhh damn ... someone has something to say!LOL

I thought you were older that. I didn't read it because based on your post I presumed the link would take me to some silly teenager's forum.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 05:02
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Quote Enjoy it ... but some of you won't read it because it is a bit long ... ohhh damn ... someone has something to say!LOL

I thought you were older that. I didn't read it because based on your post I presumed the link would take me to some silly teenager's forum.

We all read it ages ago when you first posted it.Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123