Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Hodgson-The Pavillion, Glasgow- 27 May 2011
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Hodgson-The Pavillion, Glasgow- 27 May 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Hodgson-The Pavillion, Glasgow- 27 May 2011
    Posted: May 29 2011 at 13:21

Former Supertramp frontman Roger Hodgson returned to Glasgow in Scotland for the first time in four years as part of his short tour of the UK. He played in a theatre called “The Pavillion” a venue usually reserved for stage shows and pantomimes (“an extensive range of refreshments were available at the interval”). When I went to buy the tickets, the youngster at the ticket desk thought Mr. Hodgson must be an up and coming comedian.

The venue proved to a good choice though, offering an intimate atmosphere for the performance. It seems the concert must have sold out some months ago, the highly enthusiastic audience giving Roger a fitting welcome back. I should say that the audience were pretty much all of a certain age, I think I actually brought the average down! Unlike his previous visit which was essentially a one man show with additions by the multi-talented Aaron MacDonald, this was a full band gig. MacDonald remained in the line up, being joined by two further Canadians on keyboards and bass, and an American on drums.

This was therefore like a Supertramp gig in all but name. Roger performed a good selection of the songs he had written during his time with Supertramp, including three from “Crime of the century” (“School”, “If everyone was listening” and the sublime “Hide in your shell”). He also included a selection from his solo albums, the highlights of these being “Lovers in the wind” and “Along came Mary”. While most of the songs were singles or potential singles, the set did include full renditions of “Child of vision”, “A soapbox opera” and “Fools overture” from the Supertramp days. It was of course songs such as “Dreamer”, “Take the long way home”,”Breakfast in America” and and “It's raining again” though which received the most enthusiastic reception.

As roger himself said, his biggest challenge was not deciding what to perform, but deciding what to leave out. Being churlish and selfish, I would ave dearly like to have seen the two epic tracks “Sleeping with the enemy” and “Only because of you” from “In the eye of the storm” included in the set. We should though be grateful that Roger is touring, that he included Glasgow in the tour, and that his superb compositions are being heard performed in the way they were intended.

Congratulations to Roger on becoming a grandfather!

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 13:44
Sounds like a great show! I've seen a few videos of both Hodgson and Supertramp performing live and it seems like a great time.

(btw, check out the just for fun section.)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 13:51
Nice review. I wish he had come closer to my neck of the woods.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 15:01

Did someone use electric guitar? Last summer when I saw his gig everything was perfect except for that little thing that he did not use electric guitar or a guy to play el guitar,

I love that he plays twelve string and such, but there is some parts of he's songs that becomes a little empty without the thick el-guitar sound the edgy, biting sound of a Fender Stratocaster, both in songs like Give a Little bit and the Logical Song (studio versions) if you listen closely to the verses it is an el-guitar which gives these two songs a healthy dose of teeth’s an bite, and without the El-guitar they become (to my preference) a little tame.

That is my only complaint to a concert which I rate 4'7/5, if he have had a Stratocaster or Les Paul or even a Squire it would be a straight 5er

Edited by aginor - May 29 2011 at 15:04
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 08:35
Saw him last year in France, alone with only the guy on flute and sax and it was amazing, he played Supertramp songs so well without any band, great musician Thumbs Up
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 08:15
I was there 4 years earlier, when he played in the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on the 5th of October 2007. He played alone only with Aaron McDonald and it was a terrific concert. Where you there, too? We might have met...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 10:30
No lead guitar as such Aginor, just the semi-acoustic as you mention. I guess most of his songs do not feature lead guitar on the studio versions.

Yes, I was there for that gig Formentera lady, about 3 rows back from the stage. I thought I recognised you.LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 10:45
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

No lead guitar as such Aginor, just the semi-acoustic as you mention. I guess most of his songs do not feature lead guitar on the studio versions.

yes they doo, 4 solid guitar solos on Sister Moonchine, the twangy intro of School with feedbacks and short solos, the thick el guitar riff in Give a Litle bit, and the rythem guitar with El-guitar in Logical song, Fools Overture, Babaji, the Meaning, he plays

it is solid el-guitar in the verse and bridge in GIve a Litle Bit from the litle breke...in 1.33 and out there is a riff on a Fender that are in the background and supliments the piano,   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYpPaZEnM-M
also logical song have solid el-guitar in the verses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikXyFRGbke4 and many other Roger songs he subtly plays electric guitar, but I think on a rock concert there is something lacking when it is no electric guitar, espessially in the rich sounding music of Supertramp and Roger.

Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 12:57
aginor, I think he stopped playing substantial electrical guiter solos after he broke both his ankles in 1986 Cry. He tried to return on electrical guitar with Ringo's All Starr Band in 2002, but you can see and hear there, that he is not the 'old' guitar player anymore. So on Open the Door mostly others played guitar like Trevor Rabin or Dan Ar Braz.

(On a side note, the concert with Ringo is worth watching/listening anyway, because it also featured Greg Lake, Sheila E., Ian Hunter and Howard Jones, and they played Karn Evil 9 and In the Court of the Crimson King. (not on the DVD though.))

rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 06:16
I've seen him on the same tour in Bad Krozingen/Germany and I think it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
The only song in which I missed the electric guitar was "School", but, then again, it was very interesting to hear it that way. As I had seen Supertramp without Hodgson in the previous year as well ( and like Davies' songs just as much as his ) I came to the conclusion that Hodgson gave me somewhat "more" - he had a great band and when I closed my eyes I felt like being a teenager again with the "perfect illusion" of attending a classic Supertramp-show !
Too many magic moments to mention a highlight, but I think that with "Fool's Overture" Roger blew our minds completely. Marvellous. I'd go there any time again. I also thought it was a good decision to play "It's raining again" as the final encore, anyone who doesn't like it had the chance to leave earlier. I decided to stay, though.
I never liked that song but the show itself was so great I took it as a giveaway and thought it was not so bad at the end !
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
 Post Reply Post Reply