Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortman (Post Rock?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portman (Post Rock?)
    Posted: January 31 2012 at 19:05
Experimental instrumental rock with some indie and stoner influences, bit metal too. They have a free demo from 2006, and their album is 5$ or free on bandcamp. I don't know if that's okay, I thought unsigned artists get included they just need to have a valid way of album distribution (some bands even have just EP's).  Detailed biography with links after the samples.

From Facebook: The beginnings of Portman are in 2004 as a melodic death metal band with the influences of core metal and progressive. The original line – up was made of Davor Kavicki – guitar, Ivan Gelenčir – guitar, Martin Odrljin – bass and Ivan Kukuljević – drums.The first year of practice resulted with 15 author songs and our first concert in Našice. Since the beginning, the band has been unsuccessfully seeking for a lead singer, so in the period of 2004 – 2006 our lead singers were Saša Pul (Godlike), Hrvoje Maretić (Penetracija), Vinko Kubica (Meander Valley). In that period we started our first concerts in Našice, Osijek, Donji Miholjac, Bilje, Požega and other places. In 2006 Ivan Gelenčir and Hrvoje Maretić left the band. Portman went on as a trio with occasional cooperation with DJ Raps. During the same year we made our first demo consisting of 9 songs. As the bang grew in a music sense during the time, and due to the lack of the vocals, Portman slowly, but surely, changed its’ style. Davor started experimenting with various foot switches, effects and sounds, delay became one of the features of the band. Until the year 2008 we had many concerts, but then our bass player Martin left the band. Josip Zupčić (Uthovar) took his place. Without a brake, Josip mastered our repertoire so we continued touring the whole Croatia in our distinguished style – instrumental/post rock/indie music. In the summer of 2009 we recorded our first album – Pereskesije in Našice, on which there are 10 author songs and one cover (Children – Robert Miles). In the period between 2009 and 2011 Portman tours with Uthovar, bend of Siniša Dukarić, and plays together on concerts and festivals.

http://portman.bandcamp.com/

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 05:02
Yes, the album being available to puchase on bandcamp is good enough to make them eligible for inclusion, and there's certainly enough material on it, & of sufficient quality too.

The band seem to have incorporated a lot of different styles and moods into their music - post rock being the one that will interest the guys on Progarchives, of course. In places the impression is more one of Indie/Alternative rock without the vocals, and their early Metal roots are also much in evidence too, but taken as a whole I can't see any reason why these guys don't deserve an evaluation. Perhaps the album tends to be just ever so slightly repetitive as you work your way through each of the tracks - not helped of course by the lack of vocals, but it was an enjoyable listen nevertheless. Gets my thumbs up for sure.  Thumbs Up
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 19:50
Very nice stuff, heavy, moody, proggy, posty... but I feel with the heavy aspect these are better next to the post-rock influenced acts of Heavy Prog rather than full out post rock. I'll alert the team.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2012 at 15:45
 Post Reply Post Reply