Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Top 10 Style Changes that Resulted in Bad Albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 10 Style Changes that Resulted in Bad Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 21:24
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Unfortunate lineup changes and shift to a more pop-structured song format for Jefferson Airplane on 'Bark'.

Abandoning strings for synthesizers (The Moody Blues on 'Octave' and ELO with 'Discovery').

Wishbone Ash trying to do country (poorly) on 'Locked In'.

you know, i happen to really dig the Locked In album, though i realise that i am in the minority on that (i understand even the band themselves have bad memories of that album)
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 21:32
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Unfortunate lineup changes and shift to a more pop-structured song format for Jefferson Airplane on 'Bark'.

Abandoning strings for synthesizers (The Moody Blues on 'Octave' and ELO with 'Discovery').

you know, i happen to really dig the Locked In album, though i realise that i am in the minority on that (i understand even the band themselves have bad memories of that album)

Don't know a heck of a lot about that album's history, although I assume since Laurie Wisefield joined the band around then that he brought some of that sound with him from Home, although Home sounded more authentic in a country-rock role than Wishbone Ash did IMHO.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 21:43
Best changes:

King Crimson: Heavy fusion (Larks)  to new wave (Discipline)
Donovan: Bob Dylan-styled folk to psychedelia
The Beatles: Everything. Big smile

Worst changes:

The Byrds: Psychedelia to country. Not necessarily the change itself - the Byrds were capable of doing good country - but their first full attempt at a country album, Sweetheart Of The Rodeo, was kind of mediocre, the last time I heard it. 

Frank Zappa: A good chunk of the Flo and Eddie era. Filmore was boring and the 200 Motels soundtrack was useless without the film. His later works like Apostrophe and Sheik Yerbouti were much more focused.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 21:58

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Don't know a heck of a lot about that album's history, although I assume since Laurie Wisefield joined the band around then that he brought some of that sound with him from Home, although Home sounded more authentic in a country-rock role than Wishbone Ash did IMHO.

I remember reading that according to some band members, there were a lot of things that went wrong during the recording of Locked In (even a funeral!), though i don't have all the details. Interesting that the first Laurie Wisefield WA was the previous There's The Rub-man, talk about two different albums! Yeah, i can see a Home influence in Locked In, but definitely not in There's The Rub-i sampled some of Home, but it did not do much for me-much prefer Locked In's sound
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 00:58
ELP had already changed before the Love Beach album by doing solo music on Works and largely abandoning the synthesiser in favour of orchestration. Works Vol One was a decent album though.
The most jarring change for me was Genesis and Abacab. I hated that album and still feel much the same all these years later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12