Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 02:27
You make me laugh

You're not a real audiophile:

You don't have good cables (interconnect+power)
You don't have separate electric lines
I suppose you don't use power isolation filters
I suspect you to lie about what you have "Yes, i must have a relaxa plate somewhere...", when you say you have a 10b, sequerra day, etc...

I'm afraid about knowing what is your real system.

Here's mine (real):

Nad c520 CD player
Tuner Denon (wants to upgrade to a Mac MR67)
K7 deck Studer A701 (wants to upgrade to a Naka 1000zxl)

Preamp Kora triode (tube preamp)
Amplifier Jolida 302 with special tubes

Speaker Mision M71i srew on Atacama Nexus 7 filled with sand, with 7 kgs of weight on each.

Subwoofer Magnat Omega 380 with 100 kg of weight on it.

Power cables: Eupen
Interconnect: Esoteric Audio Tech3i for modulation
(540€ per meter with wbt topline rca)+Esoteric audio Accupath hp (150 € per meter).
For HP cables, i have bicable+double the low freq cable, which makes 3 cables per speaker!

3 electric separated lines for my system+power filters for preamp and source; double filtering on analog source and triple on CD.

Metz FM antenna

All is soldered with WBT silver solder.

Vibration cancellers:Fadel amethyst, golden sound cones, sicomin plates.
I'm gonna make a big upgrade on my Jolida soon by passing the source selector (transform it into a pure power amp), and replacing all the connect by WBT topline connect. I'll do it for my speakrs too.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 07:50

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

You make me laugh

You're not a real audiophile:

You don't have good cables (interconnect+power)
You don't have separate electric lines
I suppose you don't use power isolation filters
I suspect you to lie about what you have "Yes, i must have a relaxa plate somewhere...", when you say you have a 10b, sequerra day, etc...

I'm afraid about knowing what is your real system.

Here's mine (real):

Nad c520 CD player
Tuner Denon (wants to upgrade to a Mac MR67)
K7 deck Studer A701 (wants to upgrade to a Naka 1000zxl)

Preamp Kora triode (tube preamp)
Amplifier Jolida 302 with special tubes

Speaker Mision M71i srew on Atacama Nexus 7 filled with sand, with 7 kgs of weight on each.

Subwoofer Magnat Omega 380 with 100 kg of weight on it.

Power cables: Eupen
Interconnect: Esoteric Audio Tech3i for modulation
(540€ per meter with wbt topline rca)+Esoteric audio Accupath hp (150 € per meter).
For HP cables, i have bicable+double the low freq cable, which makes 3 cables per speaker!

3 electric separated lines for my system+power filters for preamp and source; double filtering on analog source and triple on CD.

Metz FM antenna

All is soldered with WBT silver solder.

Vibration cancellers:Fadel amethyst, golden sound cones, sicomin plates.
I'm gonna make a big upgrade on my Jolida soon by passing the source selector (transform it into a pure power amp), and replacing all the connect by WBT topline connect. I'll do it for my speakrs too.

Oliver what the hell are you talking about

I've explained i buy & sell hi-fi & have huge socks at a time which gives me a lucky opportunity to swap & change alot.

I do have a relaxa table actually & if you'd like to know i pulled it out yesterday for a customer.

If you don't believe me thats you problem i'll sleep.

Don't ever call me  lying because as i read your posts you contradict yourself a lot your the liying little bastard.

Some of that gear you have is utter wank.

& by the way dont use WBT silver solder cos as reaserch & practice tells me it's not good & will break down in time regardless of it being silver.IAR Wonder solder from US is the best sounding solder.

Your system with the NAD DENON MISSION is load grade tosh.No signs of you sh*t deck there?

MAIN SYSTEM AT THE MOMENT:

PINK TRIANGLE 'ANNIVERSARY/HELIUS 'ORION/DYNAVECTOR'XX2'MC

AUDIO REASERCH 'SP9' TUBE PRE

KRELL 'KSA100' POWER AMPS'(I HAVE SOME OLD CLASS'E AMPS COMING IN SO WILL GO)

SONUS FABRE 'CREMONIS' SPEAKERS.

ALL CABLES ARE KIMBER 'SELECT KS1021'

RATA MAINS FURIFIERS & CLAMPS & MAINS CABLES.

Funny enough i have an old pair of ARC 101 louspeakers from the early '80's & sound miles better than the Sonus Fabers

Edited by Karnevil9
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 07:59
As you see, i'm not a hifi snob, anyway i have a low budget as i'm young.
Yes, i have a Nad on Cd, cause i don't want to invest more in digital.
Price means nothing, of course i know there are better speakers and Cd player than what i have.
But for the price...ther's not!

Your system seems to be quite good...
What's your turntable?
Idon't understand what you said about wbt solder...
WBT is the absolute reference!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 08:08

As you see, i'm not a hifi snob, anyway i have a low budget as i'm young.
Yes, i have a Nad on Cd, cause i don't want to invest more in digital.
Price means nothing, of course i know there are better speakers and Cd player than what i have.
But for the price...ther's not!

Your system seems to be quite good...
What's your turntable?
Idon't understand what you said about wbt solder...
WBT is the absolute reference!!!

Oliver stop being an arse for a while & don't try telling me about hi-fi i'm older & have been selling it probably longer than you've been into it.

My turntable is the Pink triangle/Helius.

I will try & get you a live picture

WBT is silver solder silver is ok but has been proven to break down over the years,if it not correctly applied this is a problem too.

US 'IAR WONDER SOLDER' Has absolutly no lead content,sounds better than silver solder & melts at a low temp.I suggest you get some.

that has the SME fitted though.

Edited by Karnevil9
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 08:10
"WBT is silver solder silver is ok but has been proven to break down over the years,if it not correctly applied this is a problem too."

I don't mind
only sound counts
and don't be vulgar with me please
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 09:10
The sound of vinyl may or may not be better than CD.
But I just ain't a vinyl person, I'm not careful or patient enough to keep them in good shape, so it's better just to keep with CDs.
I still like to listen to a vinyl every now and then. As long as it's not my own.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 10:55
Vinyl is better--if it is new and used on superior equipment. However, because it wears out, I have to go with CDs. I listen to my music a lot because that is how I figure out guitar parts. I need the integrity of digital.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 10:56
"Vinyl is better--if it is new and used on superior equipment"

True.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 11:46
"I need the integrity of digital."
False.
You can talk about the vynil integrity, but not the contrary.
First, CD is so bad in the high compare to vynil, that you can't talk about integrity.

Second, numeric sound is trafficked, bumped in order to compensate numeric natural thiness...whereas analog (vynil) is natural, neutral, really dynamic, but it requires "superior" equipement, as you said.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 15:43

There are different kinds of integrity. At least when you have a digital copy of something, you know that's the way it stays and you know you can copy it, play it as much as you like, lend it to someone else etc. and it will remain the same. Maybe that's not always a good thing, but in most situations it's an advantage.

While I have come to agree that vinyl is quite probably better sounding than CD (I don't have high quality equipment or records to convince myself, but one day..!) there must come a point when digital technologies will be indistinguishable from analogue ones - no one in the world could tell the difference between an analogue signal and a digital one sampling a million times a second at a bit depth of a million (all other things being equal) - while everyone's cut off point for transparency will differ dramatically, there will be a point for everyone. I think the best policy to adopt is to try and improve digital technologies to get them as close as possible to emulate true analogue sounds so we can also use the advantages that digital recording has.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 19:41
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

There are different kinds of integrity. At least when you have a digital copy of something, you know that's the way it stays and you know you can copy it, play it as much as you like, lend it to someone else etc. and it will remain the same. Maybe that's not always a good thing, but in most situations it's an advantage.

While I have come to agree that vinyl is quite probably better sounding than CD (I don't have high quality equipment or records to convince myself, but one day..!) there must come a point when digital technologies will be indistinguishable from analogue ones - no one in the world could tell the difference between an analogue signal and a digital one sampling a million times a second at a bit depth of a million (all other things being equal) - while everyone's cut off point for transparency will differ dramatically, there will be a point for everyone. I think the best policy to adopt is to try and improve digital technologies to get them as close as possible to emulate true analogue sounds so we can also use the advantages that digital recording has.

Only CD player i ever had that sounded like record was an accuphase.

But you miss the joy of vinyl,hands on & all that.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 02:23
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

While I have come to agree that vinyl is quite probably better sounding than CD (I don't have high quality equipment or records to convince myself, but one day..!) there must come a point when digital technologies will be indistinguishable from analogue ones - no one in the world could tell the difference between an analogue signal and a digital one sampling a million times a second at a bit depth of a million (all other things being equal) - while everyone's cut off point for transparency will differ dramatically, there will be a point for everyone. I think the best policy to adopt is to try and improve digital technologies to get them as close as possible to emulate true analogue sounds so we can also use the advantages that digital recording has.

The first point is the wear of the vynil or tape.

If you have good equipement and manipulate your vynil/tape with care, the wear is very low.
Anyway, it will always be better than CD, cause the gap
is too big.

Second, unfortunatly, numeric technology will never fill the gap with analog.
And today 24 bits technology proves it: it doesn't work!
The pb with numeric is that it's very complex: very hard to make a good converter, whereas turntable is just precision mechanic.
Anyway, there are always be informations missing with numeric technology.

Karnavil, yes Accuphase has a not too bad big CD/SACD player.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 10:56

"I need the integrity of digital."
False.

When I spoke of the integrity of digital, I meant the constant 'sameness' of the sound recording, not the actual quality of it. I just meant that I could listen to the music over and over and over again and not worry about it wearing out. I need that kind of durability if I am trying to learn the parts to a song.

BTW, I found Tarkus on 180 gram vinyl for $20 USD!! I nabbed that sucker right up. Other 180 gram stuff is usuall $35- $40.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 11:39
Yes, CD is a predictable product.
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 18:37
I know it's been a good while since anybody has posted here on this subject, but since I'm a newbie, what the hell. This is a topic I love to discuss.

During the 70s and early 80s, standard vinyls were getting really bad in quality. The vinyl itself was of cheap grade, easily scratched and warped easily too. And worst of all, the record companies were using 2nd or even 3rd generation tape copies to press them with. It wasn't 'til companies like Mobile Fidelity and Nautilus that produced the "audiophile LP" that finally wised-up and did something about this downgrade in quality by using only the original studio master tapes and high density Japanese vinyl to press these.

It is these and only these vinyls I would put over CDs. I still got my Mobile Fidelity vinyl collection which I don't play, just the analog cassette and reel-to-reel tapes I made of them on the 1st play. So there still in near mint-shape after 25 years.

By the way, I still got a sealed unopened copy of Mobile Fidelity's release of Dark Side of the Moon and I'll just might take bids on this one. Just let me know what you all think it's worth.

Thanks, Mark
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 01:52
Disagree

Even the low quality vynils are better than CD.

Cause Cd doesnt't works at all.
And this is not Karnevil who will tell the contrary.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234