Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [57.89%]
8 [42.11%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 18:57
I love the Pumpkins so much, they're probably my favourite band outside of Prog. I used to listen to them a lot more a few years back; the musicianship and Billy's lyrics really spoke to me back then and I still think Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the world's greatest drummers - he's very unique and impeccable for a 90's Alternative band. He's really Jazz influenced and the Rhythms he created were amazing and dynamic. Billy will always be one of my favourite guitarists. His approach was very melodic and dramatic - much like a certain Steve Hackett. I really owe an awful lot to these guys. They are definitely one of the main factors that forged my love for Music. Big smile I also think they should at least be considered Prog Related:

I could see them being an influence on Post Rock, maybe not? Ermm

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 20:01
^ Don't forget the stuff from Machina and Adore

Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

I've never heard anything about Smashing Pumpkins. I don't know what kind of music they do. I believe, if they were worth knowing, they'd be listed on PA.

lolno
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 20:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

There is no new Pumpkins album.  There's a Billy album with the SP logo for enhanced sales.  SP without James/Darcy/Chamberlin is fine if you want it, but it's like calling a Townshend album a Who album.  For the true personality of the band you need more than the one guy.  IMO. 

In this poll, SP.  Radiohead are a snooze. 

There is just about as much input from the new crowd as the old crowd, at least in the Siamese Dream-Machina days. It's always been 90% Billy and 10% the others at best. You can knock the new stuff for not being good, but you have to give credit where credit is due for past albums as well, and that is overwhelmingly on Billy.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 20:13
The last few songs on Teargarden were fantastic.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 21:01
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

There is no new Pumpkins album.  There's a Billy album with the SP logo for enhanced sales.  SP without James/Darcy/Chamberlin is fine if you want it, but it's like calling a Townshend album a Who album.  For the true personality of the band you need more than the one guy.  IMO. 

There is just about as much input from the new crowd as the old crowd, at least in the Siamese Dream-Machina days. It's always been 90% Billy and 10% the others at best. You can knock the new stuff for not being good, but you have to give credit where credit is due for past albums as well, and that is overwhelmingly on Billy.

In the songwriting vision sure, in the performance and personality, no way.  The original other three all added significantly to what made the band work for me, the way they played, the sounds they came up with, the way they meshed with each other was amazing.  Like Townshend, Billy was just part of the performance sound and fury.

The new people may be fine and I've no problem with him carrying on, good for him.  I just have a pet peeve about one guy in any classic group taking off with the name to make some bucks.  Start a new band, take a new name. 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 21:06

The new people may be fine and I've no problem with him carrying on, good for him.  I just have a pet peeve about one guy in any classic group taking off with the name to make some bucks.  Start a new band, take a new name. 

Epignosis has 11 other people.  I just keep them locked away inside.  Big smile Wacko
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 01:15
I love Adore, which is one of my favourite '90s album. They come close to the sophistication of Radiohead there. I also like the grungier stuff that came before. But they never really went experimental on those records, and I haven't explored anything post Adore - recs?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 01:28
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I love Adore, which is one of my favourite '90s album. They come close to the sophistication of Radiohead there. I also like the grungier stuff that came before. But they never really went experimental on those records, and I haven't explored anything post Adore - recs?

Machina is one of the best records they ever released and at times is much more experimental. Retains some of that electronica stuff they did in Adore but sort of goes back to a more grungier attitude, mixed reaction by fans and critics, I love it.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 01:57
^ wait, isn't that the basis on which I remember you suggesting them for addition some time ago? Tongue

Thanks, will check. Thumbs Up

Edited by harmonium.ro - May 19 2012 at 01:59
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

^ Don't forget the stuff from Machina and Adore

Ah, yes of course. Adore was a very fine record with some really good crafted songs. A lot of emotion in that record as well, due to the death of Billy's mother Martha. I'm still not really a fan of the electronica influences on that record, though I do respect that they were experimenting and trying to progress into a different area. Jimmy's also not that record which is kid of a bummer for me because I absolutely adore his drumming.
Teargarden and was Machina One are great; Machina Two not so much. I think it's only available as a download as you can't find it in stores as a physical copy.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 13:02
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

The last few songs on Teargarden were fantastic.

A Song For A Son is my favourite on the album. I'm pretty excited for Oceania, Billy and Nicole say it's their best effort since the old days.
By the way, I love your Ellen Page avatar - she's beautiful. Heart Cool
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 13:17
I've never listened to Smashing Pumpkins, but I did pick up Billy Corgan's TheFutureEmbrace on a whim some years ago (perhaps soon after its release; I don't recall).  Not a fan of that one at all.  Hate the singing for the most part.  From looking at the wikipedia page I'm guessing it's not all that similar to Smashing Pumpkins, but because of my dislike of his vocals I'm hesitant to even bother.  Should I?

Also find BG to be one ugly dude!  At least from that album cover...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 13:17
The main thing I like about Mellon Collie is just the whole package.  It's got a great cover with a tranquil veneer, and a buttload of songs that run the entire gamut of moods.  Some of the most beautiful ballads of the 90s and some of the most slammin' rock riffs, all in a nifty package of wonder and intrigue.  Putting it on is really like opening up a box of chocolates.  No, no.  Forget that simile.  Corgan's voice is something I'm able to tolerate under the circumstances, but I really don't like it.  The album package and it's intrigue etc etc win out in the end though.  Taken individually, each song isn't all that incredible (apart from 4-5 of them), but in the album's context they seem better than they are!

Radio Head sounds really cool, but I don't get the urge to listen to them often.  I heard the Bends once and for the most part each song had something going for it.  OK Computer was the big surprise, with "Paranoid Android" really impressing me on the radio (prompting me to buy it), but I think I like "Air Bag" even more.  Kid A is really cool too, but doesn't really speak to me.  After that, I haven't really followed them.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 19 2012 at 13:22
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 16:44
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

The Smashing Pumpkins have some great songs, but I can't get myself to really appreciate a full album of theirs.

Have to correct myself there. After giving a serious listen to Adore and Mellon Collie for the first time in years, I rediscovered just how great they are. Adore is probably their most consistent, no really bad tracks, just a few less interesting ones. Mellon Collie has a few missteps (the two Iha ballads, "Beautiful"), but the first disc is almost universally awesome and the second is pretty good if inconsistent. Gish and Siamese Dream both have their fair share of good songs, but they're too samey. Stuff like "Hummer" sounds like trademark SP but lacks the hooks. Machina I need to listen to again. I remember the production being awful, the first few songs being good and "Glass and the Ghost Children" being maybe their best epic, but I never really got into the second half, which might just be the fault of my impatient younger self. Machina II I only know a couple of songs of. Zeitgeist still blows (with a couple of exceptions). I've listened to a few tracks they made after that, but I didn't like any of them. Here's hoping that Oceania is half as good as Billy Corgan proclaims it to be and that he finally gives up that stupid Teargarden concept.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 20:33
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ wait, isn't that the basis on which I remember you suggesting them for addition some time ago? Tongue

Thanks, will check. Thumbs Up

Why yes, and I thought it was a pretty good case. Tongue

Ah well, hope you enjoy. Smile
InsightOut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 15:55
you've never heard of the smashing pumpkins? realy??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12