Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Neal Morse/3 Friends/District 97, Chicago,USA-Oct
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeal Morse/3 Friends/District 97, Chicago,USA-Oct

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse/3 Friends/District 97, Chicago,USA-Oct
    Posted: May 18 2012 at 18:19

Announcing, ProgNight: A Night of Progressive Rock at The Arcada Theatre in St. Charles, IL https://tix.cnptix.com/Online/?siteID=928&cartID=0d03f1b7-acb2-4c29-b876-0346f34eb6ac featuring: 

7pm: DISTRICT 97 www.district97.net 

8pm: THREE FRIENDS (Feat. Gary Green & Malcolm Mortimer from Gentle Giant) www.threefriends.info 

9:40pm: NEAL MORSE www.nealmorse.com 

ProgNight: A Night of Progressive Rock is going to be an incredible night, celebrating the most adventurous music rock has to offer.TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW!! TICKETS RANGE FROM $29-$89 INCLUDING MEET-AND-GREETS WITH THE BANDS AND VIP PACKAGES! GET TICKETS NOW AT https://tix.cnptix.com/Online/?siteID=928&cartID=0d03f1b7-acb2-4c29-b876-0346f34eb6ac OR CALL             (630) 962-7000       

Neal Morse is one of today's most important and popular progressive rock artists and was the co-founder and frontman of Spock's Beard until 2003. Being given singing, piano and guitar lessons in his early youth, Neal Morse has always lived a very musical life. Since he was not successful as a singer/songwriter on his own, he founded Spock's Beard with his brother Alan and drummer Nick D'Virgilio in 1992. After adding bass player Dave Meros and keyboard player Ryo Okumoto, the band's popularity and success grew with each album and Spock's Beard became one of the most important progressive rock bands. Neal Morse also became active in other projects; besides his rather inconspicuous solo album Neal Morse (1999), he sang and played guitar/keyboards for Transatlantic, a highly anticipated progressive rock band also featuring Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings), Pete Trewavas (Marillion) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater). In 2002, Neal Morse decided to leave all bands and become a solo artist again for religious reasons. He released Testimony (2003) which dealt with his experiences in life and in becoming a Christian, which was followed by One (2004), ? (2005) and Sola Scriptura (2007). After those albums, Neal completed Testimony 2, the much praised sequel to Testimony. Neal is now completing his brand new album Momentum and touring the album around the world with a few special guests. 

Three Friends is not a Gentle Giant reunion, but a new band featuring 2 original members of Gentle Giant, that will deliver faithful interpretations of the wonderful music of Gentle Giant and create new music as well. Malcolm Mortimore and Gary Green along with three other friends in Lee Pomeroy, Mick Wilson, and Gary Sanctury, complete the live lineup. The Gentle Giant story is known to many of us, revered by us, and considering the relatively short active life span of the band, many progressive fans hold them closer to the heart than any other classic band. From the early days of Simon Dupree and the Big Sound right on up to "The Missing Piece"/"Civilian" era, Gentle Giant never stopped pushing the boundaries of what was considered progress in their music. 

District 97 is undoubtedly the most musically adventurous rock band in the world to feature an American Idol Top 10 Female Finalist. Since their debut release Hybrid Child in September 2010, the band has garnered fans worldwide for their unique marriage between accessible, catchy vocal melodies and an explosive instrumental prowess. Fronted by the charismatic Leslie Hunt, their live shows at festivals such as CalProg and RoSfest, and numerous appearances across the USA have cemented the band as a force to be reckoned with onstage. Rock legends such as Bill Bruford, Kansas, and John Wetton have taken notice. Wetton appears as a guest vocalist on District 97's Summer 2012 release, Trouble With Machines. Building on the strengths of Hybrid Child, their latest release pushes the envelope even further, and is sure to please any fan of uncompromising Rock music. 

GET TICKETS ON SALE NOW AT https://tix.cnptix.com/Online/?siteID=928&cartID=0d03f1b7-acb2-4c29-b876-0346f34eb6acOR CALL             (630) 962-7000      
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 18:49
Wow, impressive. Too bad I can't go, but I'm sure everything will be terrific.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 13:51
Cool lineup.....too far for me.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 13:53
I remember hearing a song or 2 from Distric 97 and remember liking it. I'll have to go back and check them out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 16:14
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I remember hearing a song or 2 from Distric 97 and remember liking it. I'll have to go back and check them out.

I play their album regularly.......its pretty damn good. The cellist adds a nice flavor, although she is not part of the live shows seems like, it would be cool to see her part of a live show.
Flucktrot View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:22
I've got my tix LOL

Out of curiosity though, who is the headliner, Morse or Three Friends?

The main draw for me is Morse, and I hope we get a full show from him, but of course I'm delighted to learn more about the other two groups!
Thank you, God of Rock, for this chance to kick ass
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 21:52
Morse + Portnoy+ George.  The rest of the band was created by auditions held first by video and then in Neal's studio for the finalists. Pretty cool way to do it.  Jonathon Shrang from District 97 did one but was not picked.  I am telling you Neal's band is going to be great.  District 97 has a new CD coming in July.  So they will be playing parts of that for the show. Wish I could get there but not in the cards for me.  Will be seeing Neal in LA though. 

Edit: The cellist isn't with the band anymore unfortunately.  Her gig with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra kind of got in the way. Smile

Edited by Garion81 - May 28 2012 at 22:35

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 23:07
Clap This venue is 5 minutes from where I live and it's on my school's break so I'll be back in town. Excellent!
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Flucktrot View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 11:16
Thanks for the info! That was indeed a very creative way to put together a band, particularly the part about having to post the audition videos to YouTube, so that folks like us can see them too.

This will be fulfilling a bucket list-type goal (if that's possible for a 30-year old).
Thank you, God of Rock, for this chance to kick ass
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 21:28
I saw District 97 at Calprog in 2010 and they were great. Such a unique sound not really derivative or heavily influenced of anyone.  Calprog required bands to do a classic era song and D-97 chose  Presto Vivace by UK and Back in New York City by Genesis. I find them all very accomplished musicians and Rob Clearfield might have the most unique keyboard solos I have ever heard but  where they have an edge is the singing and stage presence of Leslie Hunt.  Leslie was a top 20 finalist on American Idol and the experience gives her an edge on stage. . She has some pretty cool music of her own (not prog but more jazzy styled rock). I think of any young band out there these guys have a chance to move beyond the confines of the walls of prog. 

Edited by Garion81 - May 29 2012 at 21:29

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
 Post Reply Post Reply