Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny Procol Harum lovers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 11:46

I had been a PH fan for many years, had bought all their records and waited years to see them perform live.  Finally got the opportunity in 1977. 

Although their recordings really captured their true talent as a band, their live show was below average.  They played a lot of their more well-known tunes but for some reason their performance teetered on boring and I really can't figure out as to why.

To this day, however, I still enjoy listening to my three favorites by them "A Salty Dog", "Broken Barricades" and "Exotic Birds and Fruit".

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 20:03
I'm a casual fan I guess. They are a pretty great band. Unfortunately they are somewhat forgotten by the mainstream.
roaryg View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 21:35
I have been authorized by my wife to add to this thread. She doesn't like
prog but she LOVES Procol Harum. She was a teenager during the 1960s and
got to see them live four times from 1968 to 1972. The last time they
opened for Ten Years After, which she thought was sad as it indicated they
weren't a top band any more (they were the headliners the other tims. She
has some black and white photos from one of their concerts.

She says Robin Trower was AWESOME live. But I suspect that means she had
the hots for him, so I try not to think about it too much.

Edited by roaryg
Tim
FM, Nash the Slash, Camel
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 01:05
Anybody seen this videoclip yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyMNtSa5g_U?
It's for their song 'Dead Man's Dream', from their album "Home", one of their most haunting and creepy songs ever. This videoclip's tune is not the album version, a bit less polished, but it's still quintaessential PH. Not to be missed!   
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 01:35
The Procolers are pretty much basically my heroes. I'm CONVINCED they invented true progressive music (although the genre kicked off in '66 with the Who).

In fact, on this night of nights, I shall up my ratings system to allow their debut album the five star status it deserves.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 12:05
I think Procol is great!  Those first three albums, though a bit inconsistent at times, all have seriously perfect songs (Repent Walpurgis, In Held Twas In I, and Pilgrim's Progress immediately come to mind).  After Fisher left the I think the quality fell off a bit, though both Home and Broken Barricades have excellent work by Trower. 
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 13:01
I like them a lot actually.  I was introduced through the obvious "Whiter Shade..." which I thought was magnificent (heard it in Scorsese's short in New York Stories).  Got the album, then went on to explore Broken Barricades and Grand Hotel both of which were excellent.  Then I finally got A Salty Dog which has quickly become my favorite album of theirs.  I guess my favorite elements of their sound are Gary Brooker's vocals and Matthew Fischer's organ work which has so much depth.  Keith Reid's lyrics are also very interesting and appealing to me.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 17:25
Hey, nice to see that an old thread of mine been has been dug up again.

Cesar Inca: That YouTube video is really heavy! Some of the images remind me of Pink Floyd's Set Your Controls For The Heart Of The Sun on Live At Pompeii. I think musically The Dead Man's Dream is some of the best things Procol Harum ever did. It's such a strong composition. I realised that it was the first time that I saw a full video of a Procol Harum song. I checked their page on PA and saw that they had no archive footage dvd. Maybe some day.

The Whistler: Procol is one of the most important proto-prog pioneers, I'm sure. Too bad that they don't always get the credit for that.

Jammun: Why is it your opinion that the first three albums are a bit inconsistent? Just wondering, because my feeling is that they were quite well balanced, as far as I can see. I agree with you about Fisher and Trower.

Bro Spence: I think Keith Reid is one of the most original writers of lyrics (or "words" in his own words Smile ) from prog rock.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by Paulieg Paulieg wrote:

Yes I like Prool Harum.  I am even more of a Robin Trower fan.  I love his first five albums, ecspecially "Bridge of Sighs.  What a guitar player.

No Kidding, Bridge of Sighs is so good , it deserves inclusion on our site . As for Procol Harum, Robin's wicked, I mean WICKED playing on Whiskey Train is enough for at least a dozen Hug
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 20:22
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Jammun: Why is it your opinion that the first three albums are a bit inconsistent? Just wondering, because my feeling is that they were quite well balanced, as far as I can see. I agree with you about Fisher and Trower.

I mean inconsistent in the sense that there seem to be some filler tracks here and there:  Mabel on the first LP, Skip Softly on the second, Juicy John Pink on the third.  I don't mean it as a knock on those first three LP's.  They are among my all-time favorites.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 03:25
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I mean inconsistent in the sense that there seem to be some filler tracks here and there:  Mabel on the first LP, Skip Softly on the second, Juicy John Pink on the third.  I don't mean it as a knock on those first three LP's.  They are among my all-time favorites.

Yes, I see what you mean, I agree.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 13:05
I think i own almost all their albums, only PROCOL 9TH is missing.
Yes, they should get as many mentions on PA like bands like ...Genesis or others.

I even never got tired of Whiter Shade of Pale....this organ sound is still doing it to meApprove
I even like the maligned THE WORM AND THE TREE from SOMETHING MAGIC, imagine that!!

GRAND HOTEL Heartis my fave from this great band
weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 08:27
I have posted this before and I love this L.P. all that fantastic music.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by weetabix weetabix wrote:

I have posted this before and I love this L.P. all that fantastic music.

Yes, Cerdes remains great music, as well as most of the music on the first album Clap
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 15:04
Procol Harum was probably the first prog band I got into because my dad is a huge fan. My fav PH album is probably A Salty Dog.
Prof. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 14:59
I bought their compilation album The First Four(their first four albums) just so I could listen to Conquistador, and  it was $25. But ill be damned if it wasnt one of the best choices I made, I love their stuff now.
Not sure if I like Procol Harum or Shine On Brightly more, they are both so good.
stowbury View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 17:00
Yes, Procol Harum is my favourite band - I think I've still got all 10 LPs from their first lifetime. As you can see Exotic Birds and Fruit is my most cherished of all, but very closely contested for top spot by Grand Hotel, with a number of others following close behind. I can't believe it was a struggle to get them included here as a prog rock band. Their extraordinary musical invention combining classical instrumentation and melody with electric rock exuberance is what prog rock is all about. Is it because the Brooker/Reid partnership and associated talents also produced genuine songs in the traditional sense, to rival Lennon/McCartney, and sung with a soulful resonance beyond the compass of most rock front-men? I'm also surprised at reports of disappointing concerts. Their gig at the New Theatre in Oxford in '77 was the best I ever had the pleasure of attending, including a drum solo from Power Failure developed and extended into 10 minutes of unbelievable percussive virtuosity by the incomparable Barrie Wilson, who never played an uninteresting rhythm, yet always exactly the right one to complement the other instruments and enhance the overall sound. Refer to Strong as Samson, my favourite from EB&F for a supreme example.

Edited by stowbury - August 20 2008 at 14:39
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 16:18
Yes Great prog band the first song that i heard was A Whiter Shade of Pale and are AWESOME!!! killing Hammond organ by Mattew Fisher and the voice of Brooker, is a damn Great song!!!

After that i bought the album and have very good songs, for example  Cerdes, Repent Walpurgis.

Then i bought A Salty Dog! wow a great disc with the title track becoming one of the most haunting tracks of all prog rock.

will continue with next albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123