Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThick As A Brick tour, no reviews yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thick As A Brick tour, no reviews yet?
    Posted: July 21 2012 at 03:31
They are not coming to Belgium until November so I'l have to wait but I've read a spanish review from their concert in Madrid a few days ago (July 12th) and it seems like a great show, so to whet the appetite I will summarize some of the main comments. I refrain from posting a direct translation from that review as i do not have the author's permission (even if it's not a press review, just a review posted in a personal blog).

Good scenification with many theatrical and humourous elements. The show starts with the band in disguise sweeping the stage, then a video shows Gerald Bostock entering a psychiatrist consultation. The psychiatrist (Anderson in disguise) asks Gerald to tell his story and the music begins.

Anderson's voice is too deteriorated for TAAB1 so he delegates most of the singing to supporting musicals singer Ryan O'Donnell who also puts in some acting along the story. His voice is a bit different from Ian's but he sings very well.
Anderson is absolutely fantastic at the flute and acoustic guitar.

Florian Opahl does a good job at the guitar but Martin Barre is missed. No complains about the other musicians and the sound is very good.

TAAB1 is faithfully reproduced, at some point a video shows a supposed Skype call through which violinist Anna Phoebe plays along with the band.

TAAB2 is introduced via a YouTube video by "St Cleve TV presenter Archibald Parrit" (again Anderson in disguise).
The sequel is more adapted to Ian's current voice capabilities so he sings much more on it. His voice is clearly not in good form but he is more than forgiven by his excellent flute performances. O'Donnell still supports the vocals though.

TAAB2 is also faithfully reproduced in its entirety. At the end Parrit appears again on video to introduce the band members and they leave the stage.

Many people were expecting Aqualung as the encore but they played Locomotive Breath which obviously caused no complains!

With forgiveness for Ian's vocal condition, for the rest it sounds like a great show.

Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 21:11
I am hoping there will be a DVD of this as I can't make it to any shows.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:36
Hard to review a band that doesn't exist.
M. B. Zapelini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 05:49
In my opinion, Ian did a terribly mistake recording and touring TAAB2 as solo artist. Anyway, I'd like to see the show.
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 16:59
I could appreciate when Ian Anderson had Martin Barre as his lead guitarist when touring as Jethro Tull which I got the chance to see many times! As Ian is a trooper and continues to perform that,s an effort itself , I hope that I can do half what He is doing at that age. You may be too old to rock and roll but you are never too young to die!
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 18:08
If TAAB2 had a Line-up consisting of Martin Barre and Doane Perry with special guests as Jon Evan and Jeffrey Hammond (they dont play anymore, but they could have produced something in the art and even speak some funny interlude), the album would probably be one of the best of 2012.

About the live concert, I have made no review, but maybe I would try eventually.

I did review the Jethro Tull' Rock Opera, but no one here gave any response to it. LOL
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
 Post Reply Post Reply