Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Copy our music’ urges rock band
    Posted: July 17 2005 at 21:29
'Copy our music' urges rock band

"The BBC is currently running a story about the band Carbon Silicon, including former members of The Clash and Generation X. The report claims that the band is encouraging fans to download tracks, demos, and works in progress from their website . Talking of re-capturing the culture of recording a tape to lend to your friends, they believe that the free availability of their music won't affect sales, and that the availability extra material like tracks in development will attract and engage even more fans."

Full article : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4683875.stm

Prog On !
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 21:35
logic.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Lyzarrd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 21:37
You know, I would have to agree to a point. I mean, there will always be people that exploit things in anything but I have known countless people, including myself, who have found music and albums on the internet and then just had to own the album after hearing it. I think it is in fact a great way to get heard and to start a buzz and its something that is as daring as this that leads to bigger things.

We'll have to wait and see how it develops, but it could be a rather nice start if it just doesn't collapse in on itself.
Can you tell me where my country lies...
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 00:04
P2P as a marketing tool- never!

An interesting point is that music conglomerates already track what is downloaded and if one of their releases which they are not giving a big push too is popular on P2P they will step up their own marketing teams.
Hammill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 03:35
I don't think that downloading will reduce the group's sales....it is a good way to listen to the album first before buying it..How many times all of us bought an album and got dissapointed after listening it? It is better to obtain a clear picture of it and then buy it. 
jman89 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 04:24
The only reason I've (legally) downloaded 11 or so Yes albums is becuase they are unavailable to me in the town I live in! If any store in my town had these albums on CD (heck, even vinyl!) I would sure buy them.... theres just that feeling you get of 'owning' an album as opposed to downloading them. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 05:52

Eventually all music will be accessed from the net and will be FREE.It can only be a matter of time.The day that happens will be a great day for music.The internet is slowly relaxing the large record companies stiffling grip.Once record companies are gone the better.Bands can then make money from performing live and charging tickets to see them.

DavidInsabella View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 10:18
Now if only Geddy Lee would stop his bitching.
Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 10:53

These guys are exactly right. The more exposure you get, the more people will buy your music. If people never hear your music, of course they'll never buy it. As they say, people really love buying records. If you love an album, you just have to buy it. Buying makes you feel part of it.

I remember when I was younger, I used to borrow records from the local library and people might say that if you could get it from the library you wouldn't buy it but it was exactly the opposite. I copied some of the music and if I liked it, I would buy it later and if I didn't I would tape over it. I don't have any of these copies any more. Many of these bands would become favourites and then I'd just have to buy their records.

Mind you, maybe it's just prog geeks like us that love buying music. Maybe pop fans would just prefer to get it free?!

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 14:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Eventually all music will be accessed from the net and will be FREE.It can only be a matter of time.The day that happens will be a great day for music.The internet is slowly relaxing the large record companies stiffling grip.Once record companies are gone the better.Bands can then make money from performing live and charging tickets to see them.

Wouldn't have done much for the Beatles' last few albums, and it won't encourage labels to put any money into the quality of recordings.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of netlabels around today but almost all deal with electronica or chilled out indie. Also there's not neccessarily much quality control. I see it as a sort of musical communism, and while I embrace it as it is, a small part of the musical world, I really don't think it would help matters if it were adopted as a mainstream approach.

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, head along to www.archive.org and peek Audio > Netlabels. As I say, it's almost all electronic, but if there are several people with a progressive bent wanting to get involved maybe it'd be nice to set up a progressive netlabel

Warren View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 15:31
Well, if it's mainly prog fans that prefer buying the cd, maybe pop will die on its feet as fans that don't care about the sound quality as long as it is clear enough to hear the words download for free instead of paying for the disc...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 15:41
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Wouldn't have done much for the Beatles' last few albums, and it won't encourage labels to put any money into the quality of recordings.

There are hundreds (thousands?) of netlabels around today but almost all deal with electronica or chilled out indie. Also there's not neccessarily much quality control. I see it as a sort of musical communism, and while I embrace it as it is, a small part of the musical world, I really don't think it would help matters if it were adopted as a mainstream approach.

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, head along to www.archive.org and peek Audio > Netlabels. As I say, it's almost all electronic, but if there are several people with a progressive bent wanting to get involved maybe it'd be nice to set up a progressive netlabel

I would envisage that recording studios would still be there but in theory you can record an album anywhere if you have the instruments.Albums could be recorded live! ELP showed this possibilty with Pictures At An Exhibition.

Post Reply Post Reply