Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlackfeather for Psych Prog or PR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackfeather for Psych Prog or PR?
    Posted: October 01 2012 at 06:44
Yes, an Australian 70s iconic band with one of the first Aussie prog albums from 1971. 
It may be Prog related but has Psych prog tinges as well.

I was reminded of this not being here on PA by a band member from A Lonely Place.

Originally posted by tyranny tyranny wrote:

Blackfeathers first album "At The Mountains Of Madness"  was probably one of the few Aussie Prog albums around in 1971. ....could have been the first!!

Ah yes this one has really made an impact online over the years and I wish it was included on PA but alas rejected by the teams I guess.

To hear for one's self it is worth considering. Here's the whole thing!

The actual album is definitely prog and they are recognised as prog on Aussie Long Way to the Top album liner notes along with Tamam Shud, Masters Apprentices and Tully.

Heavy prog or Psych Prog seems to suit them.
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by tyranny tyranny wrote:

Blackfeathers first album "At The Mountains Of Madness"  was probably one of the few Aussie Prog albums around in 1971. ....could have been the first!!

It's more psych rock to me, not devoid of prog though. Spectrum - Milesago, released in the same year, is excellent!  

If this has been rejected due to only one album at least it is a prog album. Seasons of Change from the album is incredible song that put them on the map in the 70s and they are known for this song overall.

Let me know if you feel likewise about this band. Listen to the album for yourself.

Albums

• At The Mountains of Madness (Infinity SINL 934159), Apr. 1971
  • Boppin' the Blues (Infinity INL 34731), Dec. 1972
  • Blackfeather Live at Sunbury (Infinity L25095), 1974

Original lineup:

• John Robinson (guitar) Apr 1970 - Aug 71
  • Neale Johns (vcls) 1970-73, 1976, 1978, 1983
  • Leith Corbett (bass) 1970
  • Mike McCormack (drums) 1970

Mountains lineup:

• John Robinson (guitar)
  • Neale Johns (vocals)
  • Robert (Bob) Fortesque (bass) 1970-71
  • Alexander (Al) Kash (drums) 1970-71

Wikipedia Bio :

The original version of Blackfeather was formed in early 1970 by guitarist John Robinson, bassist Leith Corbett and drummer Mike McCormack (all from the final lineup of recently disbanded Sydney group The Dave Miller Set), plus lead vocalist Neale Johns. Corbett and McCormack left soon after, replaced by Robert Fortesque (bass) and Alexander Kash (drums). Corbett subsequently reunited with singer Dave Miller to record the duo album Reflections of a Pioneer.

The second lineup of Blackfeather soon became a major draw-card around NSW and the group was signed by Festival Records' newly-founded progressive subsidiary Infinity Records, for whom they recorded their acclaimed debut album At the Mountains of Madness (1970). The LP was co-produced by Robinson and Festival staff producer Richard Batchens (who went on to work with Sherbet and Richard Clapton), and it featured the hit song "Seasons of Change".

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 01 2012 at 15:41
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:38
They were indeed rejected (comprehensively too) by the Heavy Prog team some years ago: http://progfreak.com/Blackfeather-105818.html?path=pa/heavy_prog. Doesn't seem likely that they can be re-considered now since there is no new material to base a re-evaluation on. Cry 
Let's see what other collabs say about the music - maybe a move to another sub might have been worth a try back then? Ermm
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 08:04
Hmmm... perhaps they were barking up the wrong tree with heavy prog. I just heard the album and it fits snugly into Psych prog or Prog related at the very least. 

Thanks for considering but can this be passed onto another team? Its a prog album and deserves its place here somewhere.

Thanks.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 08:25
We'll have to wait until either Andy, David or Steve on the New Suggestions team has had a listen...and if there is a way that the rules can be 'bent' slightly in order to get them looked at by another team. I personally agree with you that it might be worth a shot in Psyche, so maybe David is the one who really needs to listen to this album.

As you say, it's got to be Prog-Related at the very least, even though that sometimes ain't so easy as it sounds...Actually I don't see why you yourself couldn't propose them to the admins for PR if all else fails. Tongue
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 10:19
I'll take a look tonight. It doesn't matter if there isn't any new material, they can be looked at by any other team than heavy. Now that there's an entirely new team, too, (Cesar placed his vote far after the original vote occurred) a re-eval with the new team is also an option. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 14:16
^ That's good to know...and something I've learned! Embarrassed  I was always under the impression that once a band or artist had suffered an outright rejection rather than a 'move' decision following an evaluation, then that was 'thank you good night' as far as the PA site as a whole was concerned...unless they came up with something new!

I didn't know that an entirely new team for the sub in which the original rejection occurred could have another look at a band based on purely the same material either - I always thought that the views of the original crew had to be respected whatever the new guys' opinions were...interesting!! Cool
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 14:52
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

^ That's good to know...and something I've learned! Embarrassed  I was always under the impression that once a band or artist had suffered an outright rejection rather than a 'move' decision following an evaluation, then that was 'thank you good night' as far as the PA site as a whole was concerned...unless they came up with something new!

I didn't know that an entirely new team for the sub in which the original rejection occurred could have another look at a band based on purely the same material either - I always thought that the views of the original crew had to be respected whatever the new guys' opinions were...interesting!! Cool

Yea, the opinion of the old team still does need to be respected, but a unanimous yes vote from an entire new team negates the previous rejection IIRC.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 15:35
Hm, listened to the whole album. Not terribly proggy, although there is some very good heavy psych blues jam stuff. Not surprising they were rejected from heavy; I would vote no as well. Scott, you could try related, but it'd probably be stretch there as well I'm afraid.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Yea, the opinion of the old team still does need to be respected, but a unanimous yes vote from an entire new team negates the previous rejection IIRC.

It is appropriate in some cases to at least give a band a chance with an entirely new team. I don't know why the Heavy Prog team did not pass it onto another team. The Symphonic Team often passes rejections to our genre to another genre as that is really the appropriate action rather than see a band miss out completely. Listening to this one and looking at the album cover art and the overall lyric content, this is prog to me. Sure they are relatively unknown but they are a prog band on this album, that eventually moved into a more mainstream sound before disbanding.

More info found here:

History

Blackfeather were one of the most popular and successful groups of the early '70s, and produced one of the landmark Aussie progressive rock albums, but a major split early in the group's history disabled what should have been a promising career for founder John Robinson. As indicated by the huge personnel listing above, there was a bewildering series of lineup changes, with Blackfeather going through at least six major incarnations between 1970 and 1983, with a huge personnel list for each version. The list is a veritable 'Who's Who' of the 70s rock scene. However it's the first two lineups - 'Mark I', who made At The Mountains Of Madness and 'Mark II' who recorded "Boppin' The Blues" - that are the best known. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 15:39
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:59
I would have thought Heavy or Psych too.
Or at least PR (given their subsequent history admittedly weakens their case)
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 16:34
Any update on this? just found out about them yesterday and really think they belong on PA.
 Post Reply Post Reply