Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoy Wood or Jeff Lynne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these artists do people prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [70.97%]
9 [29.03%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 07:50
Roy Wood is more creative musician. Both The Move and ELO was his ideas. I prefer him. Although Lynne is a big talent too.
om mani padme hum
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 14:02
Jeff imo was able to put out some proggy songs as well as catchy ones (REALLY GOOD ones at that), so i am with him.
Progrockdude
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 05:53
I enjoyed a remark I think I read on the Amazon site. The writer compared the strings played by Wood and Lynne on the first efforts as sawing, compared to the soaring strings of the professional orchestra on Eldorado. The comparison has merit I thought anyway.

I think The Beatles influenced Lynne created many terrific songs; he's quite a good vocalist as well. It's interesting as how ELO don't really boast virtuoso musicanship (in soloing terms) although everyone fits in fine on the material which is well arranged and often the seamless anture of the songs' fluency disguise the complex arrangements that make them st

So yes, voted for the Jeffe here of course, without whom most of ELO would not have been possible.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 12:33
I feel that while Roy was a true trailblazer who knew no limitations Jeff was the one who was able to refine Wood's wild creativity and help him to present it in better fidelity.  In some ways Roy hit his peak with the first ELO album while Jeff really locked into what that band's potential was and ran with it.  In the long run Lynne's accomplishments as an artist, songwriter and producer makes it obvious to me who's talent ran the deepest.  Jeff is a genius.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12