Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should Zappa's Läther be listed as 1977 release?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Zappa's Läther be listed as 1977 release?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 14:01
A little Googling comes up with some info.  It appears a test pressing on WB Discreet was run with a small number of albums.  These were never released, although some may have gotten around via WB personnel.  The Edison records were bootlegs, either cut from a copy of the test pressing, or from Zappa's radio broadcast.

Other, less reliable sources say the Edison LPs were a "personal pressing" (whatever that means).

Because of his contract with WB, Zappa could not have legally released the album at that time, lending credence to the bootleg label.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 01:45
^ If it's true that there were some copies made from the Discreet label, then would that not be enough for it to have been considered "released" by our standards today of something being released on bandcamp, even though only 5 people may have heard it?

I agree, having further inquired at zappa.com, I did not realize the Edison records copies were bootlegs. My bad.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 02:10
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ If it's true that there were some copies made from the Discreet label, then would that not be enough for it to have been considered "released" by our standards today of something being released on bandcamp, even though only 5 people may have heard it?

We shouldn't hold a 1977 album by 2012 standards. If you release something on Bandcamp today, it's available for everybody around the world, even though only a few people have heard of it. If you press five copies of an LP and don't even release them publicly, it's only available for the five people who managed to secure a copy.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 09:04
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Test pressings are not made for official release.  They are made for the label, band and affiliates to listen, and decide if the record is ready for release.  Hence the term "test pressing".   Zappa's intentions notwithstanding, the album wasn't officially released until 1996.

I think it would do the site a disservice if we list the earlier date.  Since a few Discreet copies are said to exist, a note can be added to the album listing saying so. Mentioning Zappa's radio broadcast, with a plea to bootleg the album also could lend some clarity to the issue.

Edited by Evolver - December 15 2012 at 09:09
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12