Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere's my music mojo gone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where's my music mojo gone?
    Posted: January 31 2013 at 14:42
I listen to a lot of music. Prog, Classic Rock, Funk, Ambient, the whole shebang.
Here's the problem. I'm 53 and having my mid-music crisis.
I remember as if it was yesterday, the thrill of hearing Dark Side of the Moon for the very first time, whilst at school. Life changing moment, I'd have to say.
I recall sprinting from school to Bruces Record shop in Glasgow, to buy Selling England, on the day of its' release and playing it to death at home...still know it word for word to this day, no matter how long between plays.
I remember hearing Thick as a Brick for the very first time and believing music just wouldn't get any better.
I've gone through punk, into the 80's and pretty much stepped off the music bus in the 90's, preferring to luxuriate in unfound 70's territory, although I haven't by any means, ignored contemporary sounds, or neo-prog.
It's just that I don't hear new stuff any more and get the same (or even close to) thrill that I felt, when I heard those 3 albums mentioned...and now it's really getting to me.
I just bought the new Herd of Instinct release and whilst I'm enjoying it, it just feels like a decent piece of music, without any great vibrancy.
Help!!
Is it my age?
Does anyone else out there in Prog world, have the same issue?
Am I not listening to something I should be?
Maybe I'll never get my mojo back, but all suggestions would be gratefully welcomed...

SchizoidMan
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 15:18
What's the last album you bought that floored you?
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:16
Great question! If i'm being completely honest, I can't think of an album that I've bought in a VERY long time, that floored me. That's probably original vinyl era.
I have come to a lot of 70's stuff quite late and the most recent track that did make me slackjawed, was Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower. Great YouTube video of that from The Old Grey Whistle Test.
Last CD bought, that at least got some continuous plays, was Believers by AA Bondy...
SchizoidMan
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:23
if it's any consolation I'm 18 and I feel rather like you, in the sense that all the music that truly resonates with me on a deeper level is way older than myself and contemporary stuff all feels rather disposable

so what I mean is I don't think it has as much to do with your age as it does with the quality of today's music.

or maybe it does, and I'm just born too late

Edited by Sumdeus - January 31 2013 at 16:26
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:28
Try not to listen to Prog Shocked and listen to other kinds of music. I think you might be suffering from Prog overload and listening to the same ole same 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:40
Thanks for posting.
I definitely didn't feel that way when I was18. So much great (non-disposable) music at that time and I think you're absolutely right to revel in it. Hey there was some crap too, but perhaps just not as much as proliferates today (that'll be my age again!)
There is a lot of great music out there today, but I just think you have to look harder for it and in saying that, we seem indeed to share a common problem.
Keep searching. Don't feel you can't go back through those 70's vaults, just 'cos you're a teenager. I wish I was finding some of that fantastic stuff for the first time...
SchizoidMan
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 16:44
You may well be right. It's kinda' easy to go back to the old safe areas of my teenage Prog youth, whilst trying to find some solace in neo-prog.
I'm not ready for John Denver just yet (perish the bloody thought) so I'll just need to drag myself out the comfort zone and check out some other areas...
Cheers my friend.
SchizoidMan
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 23:25

Estradasphere may be just the ticket. Top notch musicianship, sublime

Edited by timothy leary - February 01 2013 at 23:28
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 06:16
I'm a year older and therefore grew up with those same albums but preferred Listen record shop in Glasgow. A couple of things that have I have really enjoyed recently: Storm Corrosion, Opeth - Heritage & Witchcraft - Legend. If you like 70's style classic rock I would recommend both Chris Robinson Brotherhood albums 'Big Moon Ritual' & 'The Magic Door'.
Beer
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 13:59
Originally posted by mcnic59 mcnic59 wrote:

I just bought the new Herd of Instinct release and whilst I'm enjoying it, it just feels like a decent piece of music, without any great vibrancy.
Help!!
Is it my age?

Hello mcnic59, I am 32 but I agree with you, most of today's prog is very bland.

I like to dig into the seventies when looking for prog, or in the eighties for some obscure neo-prog, and when in the mood for some prog-metal, early nineties or late eighties for technical thrash metal. But in the 2000's, I don't really think it is worth losing energy to find anything worth listening - the same formula is being recycled on an on.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 14:44
Many thanks for the suggestions Mr Leary! I'll give them a proper listen and pass on my humble opinion...
SchizoidMan
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 14:50
Many thanks for those suggestions. Looks like I've got some listening to do! None of these are familiar to me, so makes it that bit more interesting...
I spent a lot of time in Listen records. Cambridge Street mostly, but down in Gordon Street too. Now THAT was a record shop and how it'smissed by those of us in a certain age bracket (ours!)
Used to drop into Hades as well. Remember it? Orange LP bag with a black devil on the front.
Great days...
SchizoidMan
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 14:56
Hey Lucas.
Many thanks for posting. You make some sound points, actually.
As I've said, I habitually dip back into the mainstream/obscure prog 70's and the more obscure 60s/70s pysch. I take some comfort from the fact that I don't appear to be alone in my 'condition' and some alternative suggestions are popping up, which I'll have a go at.
I do agree with you though. So much bland repetition. Perhaps the 70s template simply can't be reinvented...
SchizoidMan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 15:36
Just noticed your sig ... so another recommendation would be 'Anglagard - Viljans Oga' which has just been voted album of 2012 by the collaborators on site.

Edited by Daysbetween - February 03 2013 at 03:57
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 16:08
Thanks again. Another for my list!
SchizoidMan
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 16:23
I'm 43, and I think there's as much great music out there in the past decade as there has been since the 1970s.  And on top of that, it's more easily accessible (samples on internet, youtube videos, online CD/LP ordering).  And there's a much wider spectrum of styles to choose from.  Maybe dip your feet in some progressive sub-genres you haven't tried yet.  It takes some time, but I can guarantee there's something new out there that would wow you.

I grew up in the vinyl age too, with CDs coming out after I'd been collecting records for a few years already.  I understand how the "sense of occasion" in getting a new platter you love like DSOTM has kind of gone away.  It's hard to explain what I mean or why it's like that, but I think I know what you're getting at.  It has a little to do with age, but there's something else missing too.  There are still thrills to be had, but they're not going to be quite the same kind of thrills.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 02 2013 at 16:25
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 16:41
Thanks HolyMoly.
Your very perceptive 'sense of occasion' phrase, hits the nail firmly on the head, I think.
It really did feel that way, when a new Lp arrived on the scene and I think the sheer proliferation of music now available, in so many formats, has probably lessened the experience. Maybe I'm just expecting too much.
Support for the old fella coming thru the Archives site, is therapy on its' own. When music people get together, it can be quite a force for good!! Some of the abuse that occurs on Amazon reviews, is on the other hand, profoundly depressing, so I find the Archives a considerably more erudite discussion forum, even though everyone may not be in total agreement about the music!
I will take yours and others advice and veer off at a tangent or two and hope that the McNic Mojo make a welcome return.
Cheers fella.
SchizoidMan
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2013 at 19:46

I listen to a lot of music. Prog, Classic Rock, Funk, Ambient, the whole shebang.
Here's the problem. I'm 53 and having my mid-music crisis.
I remember as if it was yesterday, the thrill of hearing Dark Side of the Moon for the very first time, whilst at school. Life changing moment, I'd have to say.
I recall sprinting from school to Bruces Record shop in Glasgow, to buy Selling England, on the day of its' release and playing it to death at home...still know it word for word to this day, no matter how long between plays.
I remember hearing Thick as a Brick for the very first time and believing music just wouldn't get any better.
I've gone through punk, into the 80's and pretty much stepped off the music bus in the 90's, preferring to luxuriate in unfound 70's territory, although I haven't by any means, ignored contemporary sounds, or neo-prog.
It's just that I don't hear new stuff any more and get the same (or even close to) thrill that I felt, when I heard those 3 albums mentioned...and now it's really getting to me.
Help!!
Is it my age?
Am I not listening to something I should be?
Maybe I'll never get my mojo back, but all suggestions would be gratefully welcomed...

Mcnic, nice to meet you Handshake and welcome Hug to P.A. plus more hugs Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 04:06

Thanks HolyMoly.
Your very perceptive 'sense of occasion' phrase, hits the nail firmly on the head, I think.
It really did feel that way, when a new Lp arrived on the scene and I think the sheer proliferation of music now available, in so many formats, has probably lessened the experience.

I still get that anticipation for a 'special' new release and eagerly await the postman's visit Smile The difference now is that we own so much music and there are so many new releases that we would like to hear that the latest discs end up down the pile! When the classics were released we used to play them to death and literally listen to a new LP for days on end when first bought now I find it difficult to find enough time to listen to faves never mind my new purchases Confused
mcnic59 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 13:17
Spot on. Yes, I still love to order music and wait for the postie with no little anticipation. My expectations sadly, are seldom met, or I just don't have the patience to listen endlessly to something, in the hope that the penny will suddenly drop. I think your point about fewer releases is also correct. When I took Selling England home, I don't think it was off the turntable for weeks, hence the 'forever imprint' in my befuddled brain!
I'm drawn to the inexorable conclusion, that it's a modern idiom/age issue and whilst the 'thrillathon' days may be in in my youthful past, the old dog will just have to pick&mix his way down the future musical path...
SchizoidMan
 Post Reply Post Reply