Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Books for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Books for Prog Folk
    Posted: April 07 2013 at 22:27
The Books was a project of guitarist/vocalist Nick Zammuto and cellist Paul de Jong. Their music is at ground-level folk, but features a number of sound clips from a variety of sources, with other electronic effects. Their albums are Thought for Food, The Lemon of Pink, Lost and Safe, and The Way Out. They broke up in 2012.

Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 06:18
There are eight music samples on the myspace music page given above.
One half of the project, namely Nick Zammuto, was suggested twice fairly recently as a solo artist. Firstly by Svetonio, from January 2012: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84457, where both Keishiro and Andy Webb made comments to the effect that he was not PA material, and then by frippism in May last year: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87018, where the discussion was far more promising, but no real decision was made and the thread eventually went quiet (though is still live).

Of course this proposal is for The Books, rather than Nick Zammuto, but his solo work is obviously of some interest too, having been proposed twice by different people within the space of six months.

Anyhow, I usually post a whole load of YouTube videos when I respond to a suggestion, but not this time...Why, you may ask? Ermm Well, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBooksFan4Life/videos has posted everything the band ever did...66 videos in all Shocked, and I'm blowed if I'm embedding all those here!! LOL So here's just one...An hour or so's live performance in Auckland New Zealand on the 25th of February 2011 at Kings Pub, filmed in decent quality, & where you will hear the following:

0:35- Group Autogenics
5:30- IDKT
10:00- Tokyo
14:08- Be Good To Them Always
20:02- A Cold Freezin' Night
23:56- A Chain Of Missing Links
29:05- The Goose
32:16- Free Translator
36:30- Meditation Outtakes
37:40- 8 Frame
43:43- An Owl With Knees
49:17- Smells Like Content
54:38- Take Time
1:01:37- Classy Penguin
1:06:51- Cello Song

For all the studio albums in their entirety, go to the YouTube user link I posted above. Tongue

I'm not personally hearing this as Prog Folk at all - experimental stuff indeed, but to be totally honest I ain't got a clue where you might file it on here...Thoughts anyone? 

Edit: Here's an interview with Nick Zammuto, where he talks about why he ended The Books, and started his solo project: http://pitchfork.com/news/45239-nick-zammuto-talks-about-ending-the-books-starting-his-new-project/. Smile

Edited by yam yam - April 08 2013 at 06:23
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 12:20
I honestly just discovered Zammuto and The Books after he performed with his new project at my school. It is experimental, and it has the trappings of folk, so that's why I thought Prog Folk. If it doesn't fit w/ that team's view, that's fine. I do think it's good music though from my few listens.

And thanks for posting a video, it's a big help!

Edited by MoodyRush - April 08 2013 at 12:21
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 06:21
Experimental indie / electronic. Don't really see a place for it on PA.
 Post Reply Post Reply