Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFound it at a garage sale...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found it at a garage sale...
    Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:19
Have you ever found a record or tape or CD at a garage sale, church bazaar, flea market, library, antique shop, or even a used record store, that surprised you? Maybe it's something you've been searching for, or something you know is rare, or something just incredibly odd. I always get a thrill from it. It's a throwback to the old days of youth, the age of discovery, when popping down to the record store was an adventure, when I didn't have a clue what I was looking for but I knew I'd know it when I saw it.

I'd like to share some of those here and see what others have found. It doesn't have to be rare or valuable or the least bit Prog or even good, just something that was surprising to you:
  • What it is (image if possible)
  • Where you found it
  • Something about it
  • What you think of it (brief, not intending to make this a review thread)
Two days ago I came across this at a hole-in-the-wall used record shop called Go Johnny Go Records that had just opened in my home town (something I hope is a trend):

Fish & Roses, self-titled
I had never heard of them or seen this album cover before. It certainly caught my eye.
I deliberately listened to it before looking anything up so as to not color my opinion.

Love it. They have a bit of the RIO in them, reminding me of a poppier Henry Cow. The female vocalist has a much more pleasant voice than Dagmar, but in the context of the music I get the same sort of vibe. Very angular and disjointed rhythmically but they keep everything connected and they manage to hold it all together with melody.
Found out the drummer (Rick Brown) also worked with Guigou Chenevier of Etron Fou Leloublan and Chris Cutler in Les Batteries, which explains a lot.

Edited by stegor - June 10 2013 at 20:45
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:35
The rarest lp I ever found was  AT A RECORD SHOW SOME TWO HOURS INTO THE SHOW.
A pristine copy of the absolutely fuzz-laiden Canadian psych lp by Plastic Cloud - still in shrink.

The reason others had not found it before me was that it was the sole non-metal record at a metal-shoite vendor's table.

It was priced at $6 and back then I could have gotten $800 to a thousand for it.

Later in the show the young lad selling the metal records went all red-faced and fainted dead away.

I never found out if it had anything to do with the Plastic Cloud lp.

(I had certainly not told anyone at that particular show what it was that I chanced to come upon.)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 17:46
So many rarities, single copies of records that would turn up elsewhere locally maybe once in ten years or fifteen years-a few examples found at used record stores

Dzyan-Time Machine (quad lp) had not idea who they were, but they became one of my favorite prog bands

Leigh Stephens And A Cast Of Thousands-Charisma lp-second solo album by ex Blue Cheer guitarist, rare as sin, sad thing is i don't have it now

Latte e Miele-Papillon Polydor lp-did not know this band, but was floored by the tasty keyboard trio sound, and there was a gatefold cover which had some cool photos

Sun Treader-Zin Zin-Island lp-never knew who they were, but sported Quatermass keys player Peter Robinson so i had to have it! A needle in a haystack.

Edited by presdoug - June 10 2013 at 18:00
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 07:51

Knobby - was it this?

Doug - I can only imagine how many Rod Stewarts and Pat Benatars you had to shuffle through to find all those.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 08:56
^you're right stegor, they were gems in a pile of dung.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:07
I found a Reign Ghost LP at a flea market . I still have it. It's not quite mint though. I dunno. I always like to play my records.

They were a short-lived psych band  ( from Oshawa Ontario, Canada. It's surely a collector's piece.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 11 2013 at 10:15
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 11:38
I haven't been to a garage sale in years.  I should have one though so people can find some prog that I have to sell.  I found Artcane and a Ponty album at a salvage store many many years ago now. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:05
Yes, thats Plastic Cloud.

I found that exact Reign Ghost lp (the other one is rarer) for $6.
The dealer was aware it was worth money but had discounted it because it skipped on side 2. Even so, it was extremely generous of him to let it go for 6 bucks.

I needle-pointed the groove and it plays perfect.

I got Artcane from Peter Dunn's (Vinyl Museum,toronto) private collection for a tenner. Certainly a BARGAIN.

Edited by Knobby - June 11 2013 at 12:08
 Post Reply Post Reply