Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlearning guitar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: learning guitar
    Posted: January 02 2014 at 00:05
So I saw an ad on the front page for Rocksmith 2014 and it really got me thinking I should try and learn to play the guitar.  I am almost 45 with no known music aptitude, but I think I ought to at least give it a shot.  Give me something to do besides use the computer!

So I'm thinking of getting the PC version of Rocksmith 2014 along with, maybe, the Epiphone Les Paul Player Pack, or the Epiphone Les Paul Performance Pack.  The only differences between the two packs appear to be the amplifier (and price):
- Player Pack with Electar 10: $199 at Guitar Center
- Performance Pack with Electar 15: $269 at Guitar Center

Thoughts?
Frank

Edited by infocat - January 02 2014 at 23:03
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 09:50
I don't know that equipment, but if you're just starting out you won't want to pay that much. You may have in fact already bought it by now considering you posted a month ago, but in case you're still shopping, I would recommend you get something with very low action. You want the strings as close to the frets as possible without buzzing (without the string vibration making contact with frets higher up). That's the action. It will help your progress if you don't have to lift your fingers very high in order to press down on an adjacent string. Lower end guitars, in my experience, tend to have higher action, but you can also lower it yourself, or better yet pay someone at a music store to do it for you. On one of my prior guitars that I used when I was coming into some proficiency I actually used to sacrifice some buzzing up close to the nut so that I could play higher up the fretboard. You may not want to go that far, but in any event, I hope this helps.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:18
I ended up buying an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and Acoustic G20 amplifier. Just the guitar was $249, but I'm pretty satisfied.

Funny you mention the buzzing.  I buzz mostly on the low E string.  I actually took it back to have them look at it yesterday and he said its fine, and when I "demonstrated" it he said it was how I was plucking the string upwards.  Which I was.  But I still can't quite get it to stop buzzing even when I think I'm playing it correctly.

I know I should get an actual teacher, but I'm simply not a people person, so I'll probably just continue on as I am.

A bit (just a little) miffed in that I saw a beautiful "Epiphone Les Paul Special II Plus Top Limited Edition - Translucent Blue" guitar there yesterday, which I probably would have gotten instead of the the 100 had it been there then.  Cheaper, for one thing ($179, I think).  But its so good looking!  Not that that's what's important, but...!  The one I got is just "plain black" with an off-white pick guard.  Still looks good, but not "special".

I guess if I'm still making progress a year from now I can treat myself to something a bit more "appealing" to my eye.

Epiphone Les Paul 100Epiphone Les Paul Special-II Plus Top Limited Edition

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:23
I know the secret to playing the flute - you blow in one end and you move your fingers up and down the outside. Big smile

This approach however does not work with the guitar.

Fun fact.  I got my start on a beat up old guitar that a friend of my brother gave to my mom in thanks because she treated us and some of our friends to a Kansas concert back in 1978.  I had no formal lessons until 2001 and that kind of got cocked up when the WTC got hit.  I did manage to learn a couple of chords but I'm really good at arpeggiating. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 09 2014 at 12:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 23:15
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I ended up buying an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and Acoustic G20 amplifier. Just the guitar was $249, but I'm pretty satisfied.Funny you mention the buzzing.  I buzz mostly on the low E string.  I actually took it back to have them look at it yesterday and he said its fine, and when I "demonstrated" it he said it was how I was plucking the string upwards.  Which I was.  But I still can't quite get it to stop buzzing even when I think I'm playing it correctly.I know I should get an actual teacher, but I'm simply not a people person, so I'll probably just continue on as I am.A bit (just a little) miffed in that I saw a beautiful "Epiphone Les Paul Special II Plus Top Limited Edition - Translucent Blue" guitar there yesterday, which I probably would have gotten instead of the the 100 had it been there then.  Cheaper, for one thing ($179, I think).  But its so good looking!  Not that that's what's important, but...!  The one I got is just "plain black" with an off-white pick guard.  Still looks good, but not "special".I guess if I'm still making progress a year from now I can treat myself to something a bit more "appealing" to my eye.Epiphone Les Paul 100Epiphone Les Paul Special-II Plus Top Limited Edition

I like the look of both styles. The blue is a little more textured, but I'm partial to black. The buzzing could be from not holding the string tightly enough against the fret or with a similar result position one's finger too far from the fret one's trying to play, closer to the one below it. Plausible for a beginner, but if those two things don't account for it, then the action is too low. Apparently there is also some history of Epiphone users being concerned about buzzing. I did a Google search with 'Epiphone' and 'buzz' as keywords. I would recommend sticking with it presuming the buzzing is confined to a few frets and limit your time on those frets. As your playing progresses, you can think about upgrades.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 23:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I know the secret to playing the flute - you blow in one end and you move your fingers up and down the outside. Big smileThis approach however does not work with the guitar.Fun fact.  I got my start on a beat up old guitar that a friend of my brother gave to my mom in thanks because she treated us and some of our friends to a Kansas concert back in 1978.  I had no formal lessons until 2001 and that kind of got cocked up when the WTC got hit.  I did manage to learn a couple of chords but I'm really good at arpeggiating. Big smile

I tried to play flute once. I bought a flute and took a couple lessons. I'd blow and blow into it trying in vain to get notes to come out and then I'd periodically lose consciousness.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 23:34
Buzzing is common in the beginning and could be from any number of things.   HackettFan may be right about holding the strings down, for example fretting a barre chord properly is quite a challenge for most beginners; holding all six strings down with one finger and playing a clean chord takes time.   Or as the store said, it could be the way you're picking--  if you pluck a string without a clean attack, the pick can vibrate back against the string and cause buzzing or fall-out.

The point is, these things should improve as your feel for the neck and body become finer.   Good luck, have fun and experiment.   And think about a teacher eventually, someone you like and respect, it's usually worth it.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

So I saw an ad on the front page for Rocksmith 2014 and it really got me thinking I should try and learn to play the guitar.  I am almost 45 with no known music aptitude, but I think I ought to at least give it a shot.  Give me something to do besides use the computer!

So I'm thinking of getting the PC version of Rocksmith 2014 along with, maybe, the Epiphone Les Paul Player Pack, or the Epiphone Les Paul Performance Pack.  The only differences between the two packs appear to be the amplifier (and price):
- Player Pack with Electar 10: $199 at Guitar Center
- Performance Pack with Electar 15: $269 at Guitar Center

Thoughts?
Frank

I bought Rocksmith in December and I can't say how far it will take you, but it definitely gets you out of that initial learning curve.  It feels a little more rewarding and patient that just trying to look up a tab or an instructional video.  I was able to learn quite a few easy songs on guitar pretty quickly like "More Than a Feeling", "Roxanne", "Reptilia", "Paint it Black", etc. It helps your learn the basic chord shapes fast and gets you used to finding the right strings, and from there you can go off and learn on your own pretty easily.  The riff repeating mode is awesome to work out the hard parts slowly and bring the up to speed bit by bit. I was super impressed at how complete of a learning tool it is.  But I will say it seems very overwhelming at first trying to figure out how to read the screen.  If you got the extra money a teacher would be great too... I'm going to get one soon.  How's the progress coming?

Edited by bloodnarfer - February 11 2014 at 12:18
 Post Reply Post Reply