Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Camel a "Canterbury" band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 22:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Then I fail to see the point of mentioning the map at all. So, enlighten me, what is the relevance of the map? Why mention it at all in this thread? Why do you keep 'harp'ing on about it even?

What's the point? You already know it all. It was just a fun thought with a fun idea and you took the fun out of it!

Yup, that I did, but that still does not explain why you mentioned it at all. 
Before you back-edited the post (despiseable habit btw, which is why I normally quote people in full) you boldly claimed that the map would reveal "<span style="line-height: 1.2;">WHERE Gentle Giant came from really well!</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">" ... which it clearly doesn't. I don't see how that wholly incorrect statement is in anyway a fun thought with a fun idea, even in an "ironic" way.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Since your memory has failed on this damn map, allow me to refresh it for you.</span>
Now, wasn't that heaps of fun. Stern Smile

Wow. I wonder what the Woman's map of Wales looks like. ;)
Also. Hope you come back on a permanent basis to both Herc and Dean.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 02:23
Having been there for a while I think that it's more likely that North is split from South than both split from England, isn't it?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 15:17
Apart from at time employing a couple members of Caravan, I don't connect Camel with Canterbury at all.  They had some jazzy elements from time to time and a bit of a whimsical vibe (sparingly) here and there, but apart from that, no.  That's just my opinion though.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by steve2603 steve2603 wrote:

Only just discovered these guys and I'm loving it. Listened to Mirage and Moonmadness, both brilliant. Where do I go next?

The Snow Goose is recognised as their signature album, so that, I suppose. I would, though, heartily recommend Rajaz as a fine album in the later period.

As ambitious as 'Snow Goose was, it was still much the lesser effort when stacked up against the defining stylistic onslaught presented in Mirage (with the pinnicle of the group's output attained by Moonmadness). One can't argue with what many have professed as the "signature" piece, Lady Fantasy.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 00:26
If you avoid "The Single Factor", "Pressure Points" and half of "I Can See Your House From Here", you can pick eveything of Camel, IMO.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 05:17

Only just discovered these guys and I'm loving it. Listened to Mirage and Moonmadness, both brilliant. Where do I go next?

A Live Record. Classic. I know The Snow Goose is the obvious album to get (do) but the fluency and brilliant recording of this performance is sublime.

They play lots of Canterbury music on the second volume (heh) so you can hear where the confusion arises.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 09:06
How about calling them a second tier Canterbury band....?
And I don't mean second tier as in quality of music...btw.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

How about calling them a second tier Canterbury band....?
And I don't mean second tier as in quality of music...btw.
However, it would still give rise to that connotation.

Anyway... There are enough associations to and from the core Canterbury bands for Camel to be guilty by association.

...and Guildford is only 80 miles from Canterbury and is (at least) on the Pilgrims' Way from Winchester to Canterbury.

What?
Chimaera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 15:22
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The Snow Goose is recognised as their signature album, so that, I suppose. I would, though, heartily recommend Rajaz as a fine album in the later period.

As ambitious as 'Snow Goose was, it was still much the lesser effort when stacked up against the defining stylistic onslaught presented in Mirage (with the pinnicle of the group's output attained by Moonmadness). One can't argue with what many have professed as the "signature" piece, Lady Fantasy.

Just gone through my dads' CD collection, found the Snow Goose and given it a few spins. I think its fr***ing amazing. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 17:42
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

some of Camel's song are pretty Canterbury-ish, especially "Wing and a Prayer" and "Down on the Farm" from "Breathless", and some of the stuff from "Rain Dances".   But they are primarily symphonic, and, apart from a poppier/new wave period in the early 80s, have been pretty symphonic through most of their career

The only Camel tracks that sound vaguely Canterbury scene are Down on the Farm and possibly Fox Hill.

Please remember that there is no such thing as a Canterbury sound. The Canterbury scene is entirely geographical. The bands in it all have connections to that city (either through members being born there, living there or going to school there) and usually some ancestry in The Wilde Flowers, who were the progenitors of all things Canterbury.

Camel were not associated with Canterbury at all, being originally based in Surrey, and it was not until Richard Sinclair joined that they acquired any association with the Canterbury scene. They still remained predominantly the archetypal symphonic band they always were.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 18:03
Perhaps it may be best to regard these labels as schools rather than areas. Pete Bardens' Mirage (Carmel) is a merging of the symphonic school and the Canterbury school. The Canterbury school of prog is informed by jazz harmony and arrangements while the symphonic is a structured series of pieces to create a composite piece.

This way no one has to worry about in what postal district the drummer lives...Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:10
..but then that would not be "Canterbury Scene".

The term "Sound" in Canterbury Sound is not a style-descriptive, it simply means "scene" (Similarly: "sound" in Nashville Sound means a method of production rather than an actual sound).

Herc is correct  - it is entirely geographical and by association to the five core bands of the scene. This misconception that it has a distinctive style kinda falls to pieces when you consider Gong (and there have been ridiculous threads here that seriously suggested moving Gong to Psyche/Space Rock because they didn't fit this misconception).

This is fundamental and immutable. You cannot re-write history, you cannot classify a band that sounds like one of the Canterbury bands as being a Canterbury band. It simply does not work like that. 

Edited by Dean - April 06 2014 at 19:11
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 06:30

..but then that would not be "Canterbury Scene".

The term "Sound" in Canterbury Sound is not a style-descriptive, it simply means "scene" (Similarly: "sound" in Nashville Sound means a method of production rather than an actual sound).

Herc is correct  - it is entirely geographical and by association to the five core bands of the scene. This misconception that it has a distinctive style kinda falls to pieces when you consider Gong (and there have been ridiculous threads here that seriously suggested moving Gong to Psyche/Space Rock because they didn't fit this misconception).

This is fundamental and immutable. You cannot re-write history, you cannot classify a band that sounds like one of the Canterbury bands as being a Canterbury band. It simply does not work like that. 

Quite. And what is the betting you don't get the sort of abuse I got when I pointed this out earlier in the thread.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 12:50

Interviewer:Many fans falsely believe that Camel belongs to the Canterbury scene. Can you make this clear one more time?

Latimer:I think what happened is: When Peter (ed: Bardens, keyboards) left the band, we got Dave Sinclair and Jan Schelhaas (both keyboardists) from Caravan. From that point, this thing started to confuse people. “Camel? Has something to do with the Canterbury scene?” Don’t forget that we also used Richard Sinclair (bass), he was also with Caravan. I think that happened, people started to think that we are all from Canterbury. We are from Guildford basically, which is different area from Canterbury. And of course, we were doing the same sort of progressive material if you want to call it that, as Caravan is and not too much as Soft Machine. We supported Soft Machine quite a few times, so we were quite influenced by them, and Caravan really too. So, I can see why people get confused and think that we are a Canterbury band. We are not. I think they get confused because we used a lot of players from Caravan.

http://www.hit-channel.com/interviewandy-latimer-camel/55489

Edited by aliano - April 14 2014 at 12:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345