Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield-like artists or albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 17:20
Mat Dickson is definitely in a more acoustic realm ......The Lighthouse Keeper is fabulous
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2014 at 23:27
This is a great insight to Mike Oldfield :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L27WW62yWrg Mike Oldfield Documentary Pt.1
The Narrator makes me yawn tho' his voice has a snooze boomy boring natural sound ugh! Anyway hugs to all
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 03:01
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

A Rainbow In Curved Air by Terry Riley. 
It most certainly has that Oldfield flow to it.

i checked it out on YT, this one by Terry Riley completely slipped by me. But what an odd/bizarre piece of music. Almost like popl VuhShocked It has that dated feel and yet some electronic sounds not dissimilar to pac man or asteroids and ahead of it's time
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

The Narrator makes me yawn tho' his voice has a snooze boomy boring natural sound ugh!

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 10:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Colin Masson is very good.

Indeed. His album "Mad Monk and the Mountain" is excellent and quite influenced by Oldfield.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 01:44
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 05:16
Not prog, but to me similiar in soundtracklike compositions and quality:

Lord Wind

Check albums : Atlantean Monument and Ales Stenar.
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 17:39
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Colin Masson.

^^^ This is a GREAT work. I haven't listened to that CD for quite some time, so I'll have to put it on.
guimabvue View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 07:00
Try this list of Mike Oldfield-like albums Wink
http://orabidoo.blogspot.fr/2014/04/oldfield-like.html
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 07:55
Good heavens... no one has mentioned this masterpiece by the late and very great Pekka Pohjola 

Virgin even released in in the UK with this cash-in cover:

Even though "The Mathematician's Air Display" is one of the cool album titles of the 70s, I prefer the original cover myself even if I can't pronounce the Finnish title:

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 10:31
I'd like to recommend Andrew Taylor's Mohribold    http://andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com/album/mohribold

It's a really great homage to early Mike Oldfield.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Good heavens... no one has mentioned this masterpiece by the late and very great Pekka Pohjola 

Even though "The Mathematician's Air Display" is one of the cool album titles of the 70s, I prefer the original cover myself even if I can't pronounce the Finnish title:

Nice one Dean. Didn't know anything about a different cover, but I must admit that I am quite chuffed with the one I have (bottom one)Big smile

Another one from Pekka that echoes Oldfield a great deal, even if it is his 80s sound, is Jokamies. Always had a thing for that one - with plastic synths and all. Great panoramic feel to it that I really dig.
Probably one of the safest bets, if one is searching for something similar to the ECM sound yet doesn't quite agree with it. Don't know if that makes sense, but it did in my headEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 13:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nice one Dean. Didn't know anything about a different cover, but I must admit that I am quite chuffed with the one I have (bottom one)Big smile
I have both covers Approve

...on vinyl. Big smile

The reason why I have both is because the internet didn't exist in the 70s. I bought Mathematician's Air Display when it was released because of the Mike Oldfield connection and loved it, so later when I saw Keesojen Lehto for sale in a record shop I snapped it up thinking it was a new album. 'twas only when I got home I discovered it was the same album. 

I almost did the same thing with Bo Hansson's Attic Thoughts/Mellanväsen, so when I saw PFM's Storia Di Un Minuto  and Per Un Amico I was doubly cautious and only bought one of them.

Another one from Pekka that echoes Oldfield a great deal, even if it is his 80s sound, is Jokamies. Always had a thing for that one - with plastic synths and all. Great panoramic feel to it that I really dig.
Probably one of the safest bets, if one is searching for something similar to the ECM sound yet doesn't quite agree with it. Don't know if that makes sense, but it did in my headEmbarrassed
After buying Keesojen Lehto in the late 70s I kinda forgot about Pekka and haven't bought anything else. I rectified this earlier by placing an Amazon order for B The Magpie after hearing a clip on youtube.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 14:32

Not saying the albums or artists are like Mike Oldfield, but these themes are reminiscent of Tubular Bells:

{Late edit to fix embeds as it was causing shockwave flash objects to load which some have thought were viruses, but are harmless}

Edited by Logan - March 16 2020 at 16:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2014 at 14:57

I have both covers Approve
...on vinyl. Big smile
The reason why I have both is because the internet didn't exist in the 70s. I bought Mathematician's Air Display when it was released <span style="line-height: 1.2;">because of the Mike Oldfield connection </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">and loved it, so later when I saw Keesojen Lehto for sale in a record shop I snapped it up thinking it was a new album. 'twas only when I got home I discovered it was the same album. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">I almost did the same thing with Bo Hansson's Attic Thoughts/</span>Mellanväsen,<span style="line-height: 1.2;"> so when I saw PFM's </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">Storia Di Un Minuto</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">  and </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">Per Un Amico I was doubly cautious and only bought one of them.</span>

After buying <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Keesojen Lehto in the late 70s I kinda forgot about Pekka and haven't bought anything else. I rectified this earlier by placing an Amazon order for B The Magpie after hearing a clip on youtube.</span>

Magpie is essential if you are into Pekka. You'll love it I'm sure.

Funny you should mention Bo Hansson in regards to albums with different names but with the same material. Like you experienced with Pekka I too did with Hansson's El Ahrairah or Music for Watership Down. What a buffoon, and I even read the book beforehand! I should've known better, but I remember thinking it was a sequel...

Oh and I am pretty jealous of you.... Pekka on vinyl *insert drool*
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 06:24

Yeah, definitely the most Oldfield-like... well, Mike and his sister play on that album as well!!!

And how terrific record it is!!Clap
Philodendron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 00:07
Devin Townsend - Ki and Ghost (2 albums)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12