Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 03:59
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I think those that pine for a new Porcupine Tree album should be happy with Hand Cannot Erase.  I find much more PT in this than any of his other solo albums.  Some of the melodies are familiar, I'm sure one (can't think which precisely) is lifted from In Absentia.  I must check next time I listen Wink.

I agree, there is a PT vibe on the new album, so HCE should please Porcupine Tree fans/listeners.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 04:41
I'm still digging Grace and Raven - I will get HCE in my next vinyl buying spree with Syn-Phonic. I can wait for this, surprisingly enough. No shortage of great listening my way.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 08:55
Regarding PT......In a latest interview Steven is not shutting the door on the Tree, what he did state though is he has no desire in being the sole writer of the music, he alluded to the rest of the members contributing music for an album. I think he does not want to put all that kind of energy into PT and also said at this point PT is a side project band.

So unless the other members come forth with most of the material, we will not see any new PT album soon.

As far as HCE, I do miss Theo Travis throughout the album..Cry
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 13:52
Yeah, I mentioned in my first comment that he seems to have come full circle, back to the PTree sound (though still keeping some of the retro prog vibe).  I also mentioned that recent interview.

Yeah, Theo is missed, but I guess Wilson wanted to try something else, more Ptree like Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 14:34
Well the gig at Bridgewater Hall on Saturday last was AWESOME - My highlight - Sleep Together - also the Raven for encore......Great night and superb acoustics and stage show !!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 14:55
I saw that setlist.......very exciting. The Watchmaker is one of my fav songs.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 16:16
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Well the gig at Bridgewater Hall on Saturday last was AWESOME - My highlight - Sleep Together - also the Raven for encore......Great night and superb acoustics and stage show !!!

Sounds great. Now I'm looking forward to seeing him in Stockholm in april even more than I did. Great expectations indeed.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 04:32
Unfortunately I couldn't get to the Manchester gig as I was on holiday.  I've seen the setlist and it's a little strange to be honest, hardly anything off either of the first two albums.  Sleep Together I am sure was great live but I have to say it's one of my least favourite PT tracks from one of my least favoured PT albums.  No surprise they played almost all the new album but I would have expected a little more from the first three albums rather than PT tracks.....

I've been revisitng the first three albums this week as it's been some time since I heard them.  Trying to compare and contrast and assess their strengths and weaknesses in order of preference I think I'd go:-

1.  The Raven
2.  Grace
3.  HCE
4.  Insurgentes

I'd stress that none would get lower than 4.5 stars from me.  Each album has enough stellar material to propel it into the "essential" category, imho
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 04:37
Some folks 'have it', others don't. SW obviously has. He will be reknowned as one of the greats within the history of music, mark my words...........
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 09:25

Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

- One of the most sought after and respected producers in prog circles today..

Mostly because he is also a musician and he started both band and producing by himself. Unlike most musicians, who do not know the ins and outs of the outside of the music, Steven, does, and this makes it easier for him to communicate with other musicians, than most producers or engineers!

Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

- Most prolific musician since the last 25 years. A vast discography across his many creative outlets. Never trendsetting, but always very consistently gud.

Could cut half of it into much better albums ... but his stream of consciousness thinks that all is art ... because of who he is! Nothing he does can be "bad".

Sorry ... the attitude itself is bad. He's simply taking advantage of the market and the fact that the demand is there for "songs" and not music that he, otherwise, thinks is over and done, and no one appreciates anymore, which is what PT was doing. If folks can't get into ideas and concepts, maybe they like my songs ... boom!!! Band over!

I don't dislike his work, but I find I like PT's way better ... let's just say that the band softens his stand up a lot, but I think that right now, he feels the need to be outspoken and outgoing ... and I am not sure that is making him a better "musician" or "artist". I kinda think his best days are behind him with PT ... not on his own!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Unfortunately I couldn't get to the Manchester gig as I was on holiday.  I've seen the setlist and it's a little strange to be honest, hardly anything off either of the first two albums.  Sleep Together I am sure was great live but I have to say it's one of my least favourite PT tracks from one of my least favoured PT albums.  No surprise they played almost all the new album but I would have expected a little more from the first three albums rather than PT tracks.....

I've been revisitng the first three albums this week as it's been some time since I heard them.  Trying to compare and contrast and assess their strengths and weaknesses in order of preference I think I'd go:-

1.  The Raven
2.  Grace
3.  HCE
4.  Insurgentes

I'd stress that none would get lower than 4.5 stars from me.  Each album has enough stellar material to propel it into the "essential" category, imho

I agree with your list, though I would switch Grace and Raven.  However, I simply have not been able to enjoy Insurgentes, aside from a couple tracks (both of which have been played live........there is at least one other from that album that he's played live that I don't like at all, can't recall the titles right now).

I agree also about Sleep Together.  Least favorite song on my least favorite PTree album.  I also would prefer different solo material over the PTree tracks.  I think the reason this isn't happening is because Theo Travis is not on the tour or the new album (aside from one track).  To fill the holes of the material that heavily featured him, they are doing PTree songs.  Not ideal, but it will certainly make a lot of fans happy.  I'm still looking forward to the show I'll be going to, in late May.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 16:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Some folks 'have it', others don't. SW obviously has. He will be reknowned as one of the greats within the history of music, mark my words...........

LOL good one man! 

So who starts the first 'Steve Wilson didn't exist' thread here? 

Bonus Micky points to the first poster!Clap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 16:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LOL good one man! 

So who starts the first 'Steve Wilson didn't exist' thread here? 

Bonus Micky points to the first poster!Clap

When the time is right, Micky, that I shall...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 16:44
just don't wait until Wilson actually becomes a transcendental musical figure...not some flavor of the month ot a niche musical genre...  you might be waiting awhile.LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 16:54
ahhhh....

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 17:24
^ LOL
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 17:25
Do they speak Prog in Steven Wilson? Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 17:28
well.... allow me to retort!!!

What does Steven Wilson sound like??

Edited by micky - March 18 2015 at 17:31
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 19:31

Steve Wilson doesn't have to sound like anything. Because he is ubiquitous. Like water. I found him in a can of green beans yesterday.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 05:40

it sounds like Weven Stilson, only mixed up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456