FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNonesuch Explorer Series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nonesuch Explorer Series
    Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:21
Certainly well worth Exploring. Several albums worth of superb non-Western traditional musics from the Caribbean to Japan. I've been hooked on this stuff for weeks (mostly hovering around Eastern Asia at the moment, but I plan to hear them all). Some favorites of mine so far (that are on Youtube, that is):

Edited by Polymorphia - April 01 2014 at 13:24
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 02:21
i own a fair few recordings from the explore series; either vinyl or stuff i've borrowed from the library. need to do some revisiting. Hamza el- Din's Escalay: The Water Wheel is a disc i've revisited many times. and the
Javanese Court Gamelan is highly recommended.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:05
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

i own a fair few recordings from the explore series; either vinyl or stuff i've borrowed from the library. need to do some revisiting. Hamza el- Din's Escalay: The Water Wheel is a disc i've revisited many times. and the
Agreed on the Javanese Court Gamelan. Particularly vol. 2. It's cool that your library has this stuff. I don't think I could find it at mine.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:38
have you heard the P'ansori Korean disc? intense, and maybe an acquired taste, but worthwhile i think.

these two recordings are great, and fall outside the usual focus on West African labels seem to have.
Burundi: Music From the Heart of Africa
Africa: Ceremonial & Folk Music Recorded in Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania  

interesting, are you in the US? if you're near a university it might be worthwhile checking out the music departments library, they often have this type of stuff on vinyl.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 13:15

have you heard the P'ansori Korean disc? intense, and maybe an acquired taste, but worthwhile i think.

these two recordings are great, and fall outside the usual focus on West African labels seem to have.
Burundi: Music From the Heart of Africa
Africa: Ceremonial & Folk Music Recorded in Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania  

interesting, are you in the US? if you're near a university it might be worthwhile checking out the music departments library, they often have this type of stuff on vinyl.
I am in the US and near a university. I will see if I can find this stuff in their library. I'll be ecstatic if I can actually find it. I have not heard the P'ansori Korean disc, but it sounds right up my alley. The African stuff too.

Update: They're not in the online catalogue. I'll be there on Tuesday so I'll check in person then.

Edited by Polymorphia - April 06 2014 at 13:54
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 21:15
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Agreed on the Javanese Court Gamelan. Particularly vol. 2. It's cool that your library has this stuff. I don't think I could find it at mine.

Yes, Javanese Court  Gamelan, Volumes 2 and Volume 3 are the masterpieces - way far and beyond volume 1.

I discovered volumes 2 & 3 when I was about 18 years old (over 25 years a go), and it was like listening to music from another planet. Nothing sounds remotely as "alien" and otherworldly to me as those 2 albums. Just absolutely gorgeous music.

It became a dream of mine to one day visit Indonesia, because of those albums. I was finally able to visit about 4 years a go, spending a summer traveling through Sumatra, Java and Bali, taking in the amazing sights and music. Wonderful country.

Edited by jude111 - April 07 2014 at 21:27
 Post Reply Post Reply