Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre keyboards in Prog music 'played out'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 21:11
What could modern keyboardists do to invigorate their music and make it more fresh? Is it just a need for more skill? Different timbres? Expression pedals? Altogether different hardware (umm...glockenspiel anyone?)?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 22:27
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm a fan of IQ, Wobbler, and Astra....and there are plenty of keys in those bands.

Saga has a brand-new album, too. They're one of those bands where two guys plays keys, not just one.
Thanks...I'll ck it out.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Theoretically View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 23:03
I'm not sure how this will go over with this being my first post outside of my introduction post...

Keyboards are as integral a part of a band as a guitar or drums.  Now how much a part of the band's core relies on any one instrument is up to the members of the band itself.  Frost's uses of keys is what I would consider the core of their music.  If you take the keyboard away from them, you don't have anything close to Frost.  On the other hand, take everything but guitars and drums from Animals as Leaders (keyboard done on a computer), and you still have AAL.  In the collection of music that I have, a keyboard is nothing more than that extra kick needed to thicken up a song.  I hear a lot of songs and think to myself, "that song could use a synth."

I see what you're getting at, but from where I stand, the replies that you get are going to largely be based on each user's knowledge of the music that's out there to date.  An example from one of my favorite bands would be Symphony X's use of piano.  In some of their works like Communion and The Oracle, the piano is an important part.  The piano in A Winter's Dream Pt. 1 is more important in my opinion, but importance doesn't derive from complexity in this example.  In either case, you can lean either way in your question. 

Coming from my composition background, a knowledgeable and capable pianist is almost necessary to create some things (epics), but a hindrance in other songs (djent), so it again goes back to what the members deem necessary.  I know that in my region, skilled pianists are incredibly difficult to come by.  If I could find one, I would do whatever I could to get them on with my band. 

On the level of theory alone, I've seen some argue that there is nothing left to accomplish on piano or any instrument.  I personally feel that that idea is completely erroneous and that those individuals need to take a step back from the mechanics of music for a while.  Eddie Van Halen was quoted as saying that "there is nothing left to compose on the guitar" while at a party of his, yet I still find some guitar passages from other bands that blow my mind from time to time.  Piano fits the same bill if you ask me. 

I personally don't believe that more skill on the piano is what is needed.  If you play long enough, you eventually get to where you just practice what you've written and what you're trying to write.  I stayed on a huge practice kick for the first 6-7 years that I played guitar, practicing for as many as 10-12 hours a day from time to time.  I could nearly play MAB's Speed Kills, but I couldn't compose anything outside of heavy metal to save my life.  As a result, I started spending my time listening to more complex music and learning the finer elements of composition and related topics.  Short version: more technical skill isn't needed; more fearlessness in composition is.

Is Piano played out?  I believe that when the mean product of the genre has the vast majority of fans of this genre thinking to themselves, "here we go, another piano", the use of piano may then be due for a new direction, but that's as far as I'd go.
I'm new to this forum, not to the subject that draws me here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 08:43
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

With the trend of fans embracing new less keyboard centric groups like TOOL, Koonival, Cult Of Luna, Mastodon and new up and comers like Agent and Sisare as well as a post interested in guitar centric groups, do you feel that the use of keyboards in prog music is 'played out' or just failing to offer anything new? If so, why? If not, again, why?

Have you ever listened to Cult of Luna? I suggest you go onto youtube and listen to the song Dim and then try and tell me they don't make use of keyboards. It doesnt take much to find bands that started out in the last  10-15 years that still make extensive use of keyboards.
My post said less keyboard centric groups, but I do admit that COL has ramped up the keys lately. (sigh)

OK, looking through my collection these are all bands that have started in 2000 or later that have prominent use of keyboards.

Ebonylake
Transatlantic
Ambeon
Isis
Muse
Cult of Luna
Paatos
Ram-Zet
Saens
Virgin Black
Without Face
Dark Suns
Epica
Kayo Dot
The Mars Volta
Nemo
Strangefish
Taal
The Tangent
Abydos
Canvas Solaris
Disillusion
Hiromi Uehara
Magenta
Peccatum
Red Masque
Riverside
Thy Catafalque
Day Six
hAND (Well they've just added a full time keyboardist but Kat Ward played piano quite a bit before)
Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses
Red Sparrows
Wobbler
Also Eden
Beyond Twilight
Callisto
Deluge Grander
Ellipsis
Giant Squid
Noekk
Pure Reason Revolution
Sensitive to Light
To-Mera
Wastefall
Battles
The Dear Hunter
Dungen
The Gourishankar
Headspace
In Lingua Mortua
In Vain
Minsk
The Morningside
Nahemah
The Pax Cecilia
The Reasoning
Akphaezya
Birds and Buildings
Ihsahn
Mutyumu
Rolo Tomassi
Saena
Sculptured
The Sound of Animals Fighting
5Bridgesfee
Altar of Plagues
Fen
Leprous
The Opium Cartel
All Over Everywhere
Ciccada
Haken
Hookah the Fuzz
The Shadow Theory
Grails
Lazuli
Methexis
Knifeworld
Thumpermonkey
Dreadnought
Maschine

There. Well and truly proven wrong.
That's all  very interresting S, but back to the question: Do you feel that keyboards in Prog music is played out? If yes, why? If no, again, why?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 09:04
No because there are loads of bands with keyboard players.

In the seventies there was only one major band that didn't use a lead guitarist to my knowledge plus a number of 'copycat' bands like Triumvirat and the second line up of UK.

I'm not convinced the OP made any case for the keyboards being played out so just like I can still see the Moon in the sky there are still keyboards being used in music as Sleeper basically is pointing out. These can be used to create texture or they can be a focal point. It's not important which is it? How do you want to prove that keyboards are 'played out'? You cannot prove this anymore than you can prove that guitars are played out or drums are played out in prog.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 09:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

No because there are loads of bands with keyboard players.

In the seventies there was only one major band that didn't use a lead guitarist to my knowledge plus a number of 'copycat' bands like Triumvirat and the second line up of UK.

I'm not convinced the OP made any case for the keyboards being played out so just like I can still see the Moon in the sky there are still keyboards being used in music as Sleeper basically is pointing out. These can be used to create texture or they can be a focal point. It's not important which is it? How do you want to prove that keyboards are 'played out'? You cannot prove this anymore than you can prove that guitars are played out or drums are played out in prog.

Correct Richard, the post is here for members to give their opinions in regard to how they feel about keys in prog music as we've moved into the 21st century. No case was presented that they actually are 'played out' or will be 'played out'.

Edited by SteveG - July 21 2014 at 09:23
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:20
I probably don't listen to enough modern prog to make a judgement on this. My hunch is that keyboards will always have a place in progressive music in some shape or form, and there is more to keyboards in prog than just mellotrons and Moogs of course.

We've seen keyboards disapear from mainstream pop music in the past, after the 80's synth mania had 'played out' There was a rush to go back to basics with guitars.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:34

Correct Richard, the post is here for members to give their opinions in regard to how they feel about keys in prog music as we've moved into the 21st century. No case was presented that they actually are 'played out' or will be 'played out'.

I don't think that anything is more, or less, played out than before ... or after!

Music is music!

We might say, that violins were important in Beethoven's time, but ... then ... wait a minute ... they were too in Mozart's time ... and then ... 20th century ... no violins, but lots of noises and weirdness ... and the discussion turns silly.

There is no "more" or "less" any instrument ... ir the electric guitar is the new "violin"! Or the synthesizer is the new "orchestra"!

Edited by moshkito - July 21 2014 at 10:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:42
I think in an absolute sense, that is simply not the case.  I will not spend time enumerating bands because others have done that.  In a relative sense, it depends on what bands, what kind of prog you want to focus on.  In the first half of the noughties, it may have appeared as if guitar-based prog metal would dominate the scene. But Porcupine Tree steadily built up a following and thereafter Wilson as a solo artist has emerged in his own right as one of the most popular faces of prog.  And certainly both Grace for Drowning as well as Raven incorporate a lot of keyboard.  Often times very understated, elegant keyboard in a ITCOTCK/Nursery Cryme way rather than in your face synth tones.  Please check out especially the track Deform to form a star from Grace for Drowning and tell me it is not reminiscent of classic Genesis.  A much more mainstream, crossover face of prog is the band Muse.  I need say no more.
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 12:06
Why should it matter what instrument is used? Surely it's about the music, not the instrument.

And the keyboard is just a control interface, not an instrument in itself. There are many instrument types that use a keyboard to control them, just as there others that use plucked strings, air pressure, vibrating reeds and air columns etc.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think in an absolute sense, that is simply not the case.  I will not spend time enumerating bands because others have done that.  In a relative sense, it depends on what bands, what kind of prog you want to focus on.  In the first half of the noughties, it may have appeared as if guitar-based prog metal would dominate the scene. But Porcupine Tree steadily built up a following and thereafter Wilson as a solo artist has emerged in his own right as one of the most popular faces of prog.  And certainly both Grace for Drowning as well as Raven incorporate a lot of keyboard.  Often times very understated, elegant keyboard in a ITCOTCK/Nursery Cryme way rather than in your face synth tones.  Please check out especially the track Deform to form a star from Grace for Drowning and tell me it is not reminiscent of classic Genesis.  A much more mainstream, crossover face of prog is the band Muse.  I need say no more.
But aren't keys added almost as an afterthought without much presence on most songs on albums like Fear Of a BlanK Planet? A very guitar heavy album.

Edited by SteveG - July 30 2014 at 12:23
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:01
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

Why should it matter what instrument is used? Surely it's about the music, not the instrument.

And the keyboard is just a control interface, not an instrument in itself. There are many instrument types that use a keyboard to control them, just as there others that use plucked strings, air pressure, vibrating reeds and air columns etc.

Thank you, sir!

My thoughts exactly.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:30
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

What could modern keyboardists do to invigorate their music and make it more fresh? Is it just a need for more skill? Different timbres? Expression pedals? Altogether different hardware (umm...glockenspiel anyone?)?

Stop worrying about us, the press and just be yourself and work on your own/group's music?

Just because it sounds like a violin, we're not sitting here and saying that Jean Luc Ponty sounds like Mozart of Beethoven or whomever! Similarly I look at it, as having keyboards or not has nothing to do with it all. It's ALL about how the instruments illustrated the pictures and the work the composer/composers put together.

I am not sure that the "sound" should be what music definition and history should be about. After all a flute always sounds like a flute!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:54
I'm nothing of a musician or a composer, but I don't need any knowledge to realize that it's different for instance composing with a piano than composing with an acoustic guitar. OK that doesn't matter for making good music, but come on... it's obvious that a piano offers a much bigger "palette" for a composer.

By the way I don't understand why they are using nowadays so much the electric violins and pianos - for that matter I'd much rather hear the electric guitar melodies. A good example of what I mean is that Curved Air's famous and stunning piece UHF: I really enjoy the guitars right there, but can't enjoy that violin melodies at the same level, but OK if it might be a matter of different tastes.

Edited by Rick Robson - August 03 2014 at 12:55

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123