Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100002
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 20:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rank these bands according to influence
Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Subject: Rank these bands according to influence
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:33
Although popularity is by no means the be all end all of my enjoyment of the music but I do find it interesting especially considering how things can change over time. So I decided to make up a list of about 30 prog bands(give or take)and let you guys rank them in order of over all popularity, importance and influence. You can make two lists if you want(one for over all popularity and one for importance as a prog band and in the prog community). To keep everyone happy you can add or subtract up to five bands if you wish and make your own list(but you don't have to). Here is the list(in no order).

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
Spock's Beard
Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Gentle Giant
Van der Graaf Generator
Camel
Caravan
Nektar
UK
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Renaissance
Transatlantic
Anglagard
PFM
Banco
Focus

Replies:
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:40
Update: I added Transatlantic at the last minute making it 26. I figured if I had UK on there I should put Transatlantic on there too(but no Asia Tongue).

Update #2: I added a few more to make it an even 30. I decided not to include any solo acts for this list. Even 30 doesn't seem like enough. The list could just go on and on but I had to stop it somewhere and 30 seemed like plenty.

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:07
LOL! I suppose you could add bands like Supertramp, Focus, PFM & The Soft Machine to make it a round thirty..but ranking them in any order is pretty much an impossible task imho, since they were/are all hugely popular, important and influential in one way or another. Embarrassed

Edit: God - you must have been reading my mind while I was writing my post ^. LOL You got two of them in there now at least!!

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:14
Pink Floyd
Genesis
King Crimson
Rush

After those four, in no particular order, Yes, The Moody Blues and Magma.

-------------

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:23
Genesis (most influential prog group ever, no doubt in my mind)
King Crimson (influenced a wide range of artists outside of conventional prog and was constantly reinventing themselves)
Marillion (influenced tons of third rate neo prog bands)
Renaissance (influenced me!)

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:00

I am going to group them into four divisions and I've added a couple of bands (ELoy and The Mars Volta) to make the leagues an even number. All bands are ranked equal in their leagues so Yes is not meant to be top and GG not bottom. The leagues represent importance in my mind as well as the bands that I consider to be influential and popular.

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
VDGG
Porcupine Tree
PFM

UK
Spocks Beard
Renaissance
Focus
Anglagard
Camel
Eloy
The Mars Volta

Flower Kings
Caravan
Nektar
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Transatlantic
Banco

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:20
Oh, yeah, I have the time.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:04
Richard H, I like what  you did with my list. I like how you cleaned it up and organized it. Just out of curiosity who did you omit from my original list?

Yam yam, that must be a coincidence since I did not see your post until a little while ago. PFM are probably the most well known Italian band. Eloy are probably the most well known German band and Ange is probably the most well known French band next to Magma. I didn't include the last two but they certainly deserve a mention and would be included if the list was bigger. That said I don't have a problem with any list that has Eloy on it. ;)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:08
King Crimson and then everyone else.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:12
Is it just me or does YES take a back seat to Genesis and KC according to some of you? YES weren't even mentioned in one small batch of bands listed by one poster. Is it possible that YES's influence and even popularity has diminished somewhat over the years?

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:19
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Is it just me or does YES take a back seat to Genesis and KC according to some of you? YES weren't even mentioned in one small batch of bands listed by one poster. Is it possible that YES's influence and even popularity has diminished somewhat over the years?
It's you.

Just kidding, if you go chronologically, KC and Genesis were first as to indentifying their sound as prog while Yes were still making folk rock albums and dreaming of being the British Crosby, Stills and Nash.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:20
Also I kind of think that if you put The Mars Volta on the list then you also have to add Radiohead, Muse and Tool. Does anyone else agree with me there? Wink In other words I kind of feel like they are a fringe band in some ways. Like the others I just mentioned much of their fanbase wasn't even made up of prog fans. Still I can understand their inclusion and their importance.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:26

Also I kind of think that if you put The Mars Volta on the list then you also have to add Radiohead, Muse and Tool. Does anyone else agree with me there? Wink In other words I kind of feel like they are a fringe band in some ways. Like the others I just mentioned much of their fanbase wasn't even made up of prog fans. Still I can understand their inclusion and their importance.
A tough one as MV, RH and Muse sound like bands that went before. Tool to me is totally a reactive post grundge sound with cool videos, but that's as far as I'll go with them.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:27

When you spend 25 years smearing your name, yea, that tends to happen. 

Plus it is just because those two bands are better anyways. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:30
^Ooh, snap!

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I am going to group them into four divisions and I've added a couple of bands (ELoy and The Mars Volta) to make the leagues an even number. All bands are ranked equal in their leagues so Yes is not meant to be top and GG not bottom. The leagues represent importance in my mind as well as the bands that I consider to be influential and popular.

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

snipping anything past the 1st division.  I like the grouping, but would definitely re-order it and shorten it to 5 that really were influential.

ELP - in the dictionation under Prog , for better and especially for worst, is ELP.  The most influential (not most popular) prog group ever.  No doubter.  Prog showcased that the keys were not simply a supporting insturment but could lead. Who really did that better than ELP.

Yes-  longevity, pretty much like ELP covers what Prog is all about. Stellar musicianship that overcomes silly hippy-drippy lyrics, often stupid and painful hahah, muso's thinking they are philosophers.

Rush - the influence on the 2nd generation is obviously immense.

Genesis - really for the influence they had in Italy which was a leading catalyst in the formation of the single most vibrant prog scene of any single nation.  Thank Genesis for that,   as much as it pains me to admit it.  I will never understand the appeal of this group pre-pop. 

Floyd - pretty much created space-rock and a massive influence on the German scene.

the rest..  respected, influential to degrees. but those 5 are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

When you spend 25 years smearing your name, yea, that tends to happen. 

Plus it is just because those two bands are better anyways. 

Hello? "That's all,""In too deep,"" I can't dance"," Land of confusion","Jesus he knows me", "throwing it all away." Do these titles mean anything to you? Wink Yeah, no name smearing there.Wink

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:52
And yet as a massively successful pop group, Genesis still beat Yes. 

Owner of a Lonely Heart can only carry them so far. Listening to the songs you listed eventually had me look into their past. Songs like Mama, Turn It On Again, Land of Confusion, Follow You Follow Me, No Son of Mine... etc etc were fantastic songs. 

Plus throwing out Anderson in his time of illness is just cringe-worthy. Cycling threw vocalists to try to stay afloat and yet still making a mockery of themselves is pretty damn silly. At least Genesis figured out they needed Phil after CAS, not trying to grab more clones and touring. 

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

snipping anything past the 1st division.  I like the grouping, but would definitely re-order it and shorten it to 5 that really were influential.

ELP - in the dictionation under Prog , for better and especially for worst, is ELP.  The most influential (not most popular) prog group ever.  No doubter.  Prog showcased that the keys were not simply a supporting insturment but could lead. Who really did that better than ELP.

Yes-  longevity, pretty much like ELP covers what Prog is all about. Stellar musicianship that overcomes silly hippy-drippy lyrics, often stupid and painful hahah, muso's thinking they are philosophers.

Rush - the influence on the 2nd generation is obviously immense.

Genesis - really for the influence they had in Italy which was a leading catalyst in the formation of the single most vibrant prog scene of any single nation.  Thank Genesis for that,   as much as it pains me to admit it.  I will never understand the appeal of this group pre-pop. 

Floyd - pretty much created space-rock and a massive influence on the German scene.

the rest..  respected, influential to degrees. but those 5 are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

I like what micky details here....I guess with my so-so like of ELP, hard to agree, but they were very influential.  

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:39
Since I have nothin' else to do on this fine evening .. I wish .. here is my attempt

The original influencers, in the original order:

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Magma

The rest of the listed bands I either do not categorize as "prog", or do not consider primary/unique influencers, or don't like at all, or have too little knowledge about (or simply overlooked)

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 18:29
[And yet as a massively successful pop group, Genesis still beat Yes. ]

Yes but only as a pop group. As a prog band Yes were more popular. Retrospectively Genesis may be more influential even as a prog band but even that is debatable. Both bands put out great music. If you aren't a YES fan that's fine and I feel bad for anyone who doesn't get YES since they did put out some amazing music.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 18:32
[Plus throwing out Anderson in his time of illness is just cringe-worthy. Cycling threw vocalists to try to stay afloat and yet still making a mockery of themselves is pretty damn silly. At least Genesis figured out they needed Phil after CAS, not trying to grab more clones and touring. ]

You are right but that still doesn't take away the fact that they are one of the greatest prog rock/classic rock bands of all time. You can't take away what they already accomplished. I do agree that what they did was bad(in regards to them sacking Jon) and these days they seem to only be in it for the money(as Frank Zappa might say). Even I have lost respect for them lately and kind of lost interest them after Magnification. I do like FFH but I have no interest in buying the latest release any time soon.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 18:46
Yes Genesis KC Pink Floyd

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 20:30
i thought i'd reckon that PF would take the top spot here, at least in a general consensus (if that makes sense). but yeah, i think everyone else has a similar kind of list as i would, so i won't get in the way of making one.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 22:33
Just going by influence:

King Crimson
Genesis
Yes
Pink Floyd
ELP

The Moody Blues
Jethro Tull
VDGG
Rush
Magma
Gong

Dream Theater
Marillion
Caravan
Gentle Giant
Camel
Nektar

Strawbs
IQ
Porcupine Tree
Kansas
Focus
Renaissance

PFM
Banco

UK
Anglagard
Spock's Beard
The Flower Kings
Transatlantic

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 22:58
^ I'm sure DT and Rush should be higher up.

This is an honest question - but did ELP actually influence anyone to a high degree? 

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:24

Richard H, I like what  you did with my list. I like how you cleaned it up and organized it. Just out of curiosity who did you omit from my original list?

I actually didn't omit anyone but added Eloy and The Mars Volta to make it 4 groups of 8 bands (32)

To answer your other question about TMV (if they are included then why not Muse and Radiohead as well) in my mind TMV were much closer to the original idea of prog. I am a massive Muse fan (you may have guessedWink) but I am very comfortable with them not being on any prog list. Matt Bellamy has never hidden his infuences but to call Muse a 'prog band' would be a massive stretch. With TMV not so. Hope that explains it.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 04:22
I focus more on lasting influence how popular (some of them once were). Removed ten and replaced them with ten others:

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
KRAFTWERK
FRANK ZAPPA
Magma
CAN
RADIOHEAD
Moody Blues
Genesis
Rush
GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR
Jethro Tull
Yes
Dream Theater (unfortunately)
SOFT MACHINE
TANGERINE DREAM
HENRY COW
TORTOISE
MR BUNGLE
Gong
Van der Graaf Generator
ELP
Anglagard
Caravan
Porcupine Tree
PFM
Camel
Marillion
Gentle Giant
IQ

No real influence of importance on other bands: 
KansasSpock's Beard, Flower KingsNektar, UK, Strawbs, Renaissance, Transatlantic, Banco, Focus

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:53
In no particular order:

Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd
ELP
Camel
Gentle Giant
PFM
Rush

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 23:42
Kraftwerk, Tortoise and GYBE more influential on other prog bands than the Flower Kings, Kansas, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Nektar or Banco. That's a good one. LOL

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 23:51

Kraftwerk, Tortoise and GYBE more influential on other prog bands than the Flower Kings, Kansas, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Nektar or Banco. That's a good one. LOL

Yea groundbreaking electronic artist has influenced not only the entire electronic genre but many other genres - more than Transatlantic, a recent band that sounds like a 70's one. I don't think anyone is thinking "Hey, let's sound like Transatlantic!"

I think you need to learn about electronic and post-rock before you call it a joke that they're more influential than NEO-prog bands. 

-------------

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 00:28

A definite "F**k yeah" would be your answer.  KC has definitely been the most 'progressive' of the prog groups over the years, and Genesis has had more following than Yes over those same years...

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 01:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yes Genesis KC Pink Floyd
+1

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 16:35
Overall popularity and importance:

Pink Floyd - a band almost anyone knows and respects
Rush - slappin da bass!
Dream Theater - prog metal icon

Importance in prog:

King Crimson - the most influental - ITCOKK
ELP - tons of keys, virtuoso playing, classical influence
Genesis - influenced a lot of bands/singers
Yes - CTTE - just look at the number of ratings and rating value
Pink Floyd - architects of sound, influenced krautrock
Rush - along with KC influenced prog metal
Gentle Giant - can be very complex and dissonant, not a popular band but influenced a lot of musicians

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 17:16

Yea groundbreaking electronic artist has influenced not only the entire electronic genre but many other genres - more than Transatlantic, a recent band that sounds like a 70's one. I don't think anyone is thinking "Hey, let's sound like Transatlantic!"

I think you need to learn about electronic and post-rock before you call it a joke that they're more influential than NEO-prog bands. 

I know plenty about electronica and ambient and post rock. I was referring to influence as far as the prog scene goes. I mean this is a prog site and not an electronic site right?

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:06

I know plenty about electronica and ambient and post rock. I was referring to influence as far as the prog scene goes. I mean this is a prog site and not an electronic site right?

Yes, and both PR and PE are listed here.LOL 

If you're defining Prog as symphonic/neo only, i think if modern bands are looking for influences they will go to Transatlantics' influences and roots rather than the actual band because of the genre they play. 

I'm sure there are many, many more bands listed on this website influenced by Kraftwerk, Tortoise and GYBE more than Transatlantic, Kansas and Flower Kings. 

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:27
YES
Genesis
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull

Henry Cow
Frank Zappa

Magma
Tangerine Dream
Mahavishnu Orchestra

Rush
CAN
Radiohead

ELP
Caravan

Gentle Giant
Van der Graaf Generator
Hatfield & The North
Camel
Gong

Porcupine Tree
Marillion
PFM
Kansas
Moody Blues

That'll do for me

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:30
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I focus more on lasting influence how popular (some of them once were). Removed ten and replaced them with ten others:

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
KRAFTWERK
FRANK ZAPPA
Magma
CAN
RADIOHEAD
Moody Blues
Genesis
Rush
Jethro Tull
Yes
SOFT MACHINE
TANGERINE DREAM
HENRY COW
TORTOISE
MR BUNGLE
Gong
Van der Graaf Generator
ELP
Anglagard
Caravan
Porcupine Tree
PFM
Camel
Marillion
Gentle Giant
IQ

KansasSpock's Beard, Flower KingsNektar, UK, Strawbs, Renaissance, Transatlantic, Banco, Focus

KC on top! Much respect from Me! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Overall popularity and importance:

Pink Floyd - a band almost anyone knows and respects
Rush - slappin da bass!
Dream Theater - prog metal icon

Importance in prog:

King Crimson - the most influental - ITCOKK
ELP - tons of keys, virtuoso playing, classical influence
Genesis - influenced a lot of bands/singers
Yes - CTTE - just look at the number of ratings and rating value
Pink Floyd - architects of sound, influenced krautrock
Rush - along with KC influenced prog metal
Gentle Giant - can be very complex and dissonant, not a popular band but influenced a lot of musicians
Another one who gets heavy respect! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:17

[I'm sure there are many, many more bands listed on this website influenced by Kraftwerk, Tortoise and GYBE more than Transatlantic, Kansas and Flower Kings. ]

Agree to disagree. All you have to do is look up the number of ratings and reviews for each band. There you go. I can guarantee you that TFK and Transatlantic and Kansas have more ratings and reviews than Tortoise or Kraftwerk. Tortoise??? Seriously? If you were going to pick a post rock band I would say Sigur Ros. They are more known and influential than Tortoise. Probably others as well. I don't necessarily consider electronic or post rock to be part of prog(even though this site does so maybe are disagreement rests partly on that).

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:24
I was grouping the bands together - and even though Tortoise have a unique sound they are still influential.

I'm not seeing the correspondence between rating numbers on PA and the group's actual influence. Obviously damn Kansas is going have more attention and fans than a niche (lack of a better word) genre like PR/MR. Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. 

I'm sorry but if you think Transatlantic's influence on todays bands is even measurable to Kraftwerk than i can no longer go on. You just don't understand. 

Also: Do you know how to actually quote? Or do you just dislike how the formatting is for it? It seems your just copying and pasting which is fine i suppose. Just making sure. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:37
[Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. ]

No it makes a lot of sense but then again it depends on what your parameters of prog are. Like it or not the classic seventies bands and symph prog in general are always going to be the ones that people get into prog through and the ones that get the most exposure and thus influence the most bands. End of discussion.

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:41
[I'm sorry but if you think Transatlantic's influence on todays bands is even measurable to Kraftwerk than i can no longer go on. You just don't understand. 

Also: Do you know how to actually quote? Or do you just dislike how the formatting is for it? It seems your just copying and pasting which is fine i suppose. Just making sure. ]

Yes I do but I find it annoying if I only want to respond to one thing or one at a time.

As for Transatlantic it's more about the members of the actual band and where they come from. Actually Spock's Beard is a better example but you seemed to have conveniently forgotten about them. Transatlantic is really more of a project so in that sense I admit they maybe aren't the best example. But yeah lets end this discussion. In fact you can go on and on if you want but I'm done.

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:49

[Symphonic Prog is more popular - congrats, but that makes 0 sense in an argument about the extent of the bands' influence today. ]

No it makes a lot of sense but then again it depends on what your parameters of prog are. Like it or not the classic seventies bands and symph prog in general are always going to be the ones that people get into prog through and the ones that get the most exposure and thus influence the most bands. End of discussion.

Ok but the modern bands that have the retro sounds aren't the symphonic prog bands that todays bands are going to take influences from - it's the ones from the actual 70's. I can come to an understanding that symphonic is a big magnet to the prog scene, though there are certainly others. If i want to sound like symphonic band with epics and crazy over-the-top musicianship - i feel most bands will look at the giant prog names of the 70's, not the modern ones that emulate them so heavily. That's all i'm saying in this case. Bands in this case will look towards the original not the copies. 

Edit: Deal - nice chat. (No sarcasm)
Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 20:57
Btw, Kansas are a 70's band. Oh and how do you know the newer symph bands aren't influenced by second and third wave symph bands? Why assume all of them only are inspired only by the older stuff. I know for a fact that many newer neo and symph bands are influenced by the Flower Kings. Heck there's even a double disc Flower Kings tribute cd out with newer prog bands paying tribute. Do any of your bands have a disc like that with prog bands paying tribute? Also, maybe I could say that the newer avant or left field bands are more influenced by the Residents, Captain Beefheart, Can, Neu, Faust, Henry Cow or whoever more than the newer "out there" bands. Unless you have gone around interviewing tons of bands you can't assume these things. Oh and yes I know Kraftwerk are an older band but I personally don't think they are all that influential in the prog scene(techno and synth rock yes but prog not so much). Let me know when we can just end this already. Wink

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 22:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^this......

and even a broken watch is right twice a day.....
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:10
King Crimson more influential than PF, Yes and Genesis? Uh, no.

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:20
Hey hey hey you can't edit your last response without letting me know! I let it end and you wanna bring it back to light?! How dare thee. 

In all seriousness i've said everything i've wanted to make a point of, so oh well. 

Here it is: I think that the bands you listed are less influential than the ones i've listed, in progressive music and its many incarnations. Oh well. 

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:46
Kraftwerk is one of the most influential bands in the entire history of recorded non classical/jazz music and not even bands like Nektar and Kansas can hope to approach their influence.  So to suggest that Translatlantic or Spock's Beard should be ranked higher in influence than Kraftwerk defies logic.  I would not claim, as Saperlipopette! did, that bands like Focus or Kansas had no influence of importance on other bands.  But it's a no brainer that Kraftwerk's influence exceeds those bands...easily.  Er, influencing people to rate bands on a prog website does not amount to influencing musicians to derive ideas from a particular band.  What's so groundbreaking about Kansas or Spock's Beard anyway vis-a-vis Kraftwerk?  And with orchestras getting too expensive even by the time they recorded their later albums, Renaissance was never going to be a major influence on other bands because that style demanded a climate in which labels were prepared to burn money on prog with scant returns.

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:49

King Crimson more influential than PF, Yes and Genesis? Uh, no.

More than PF is doubtful indeed, but they are comfortably more influential than Yes or Genesis.  Even Genesis could not have made Trespass without faithfully emulating the ideas of ITCOTCK.  Unless, that is, you want to count the pop albums in which case Genesis was more influential than KC or Yes.  

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:43

Hey hey hey you can't edit your last response without letting me know! I let it end and you wanna bring it back to light?! How dare thee. 

In all seriousness i've said everything i've wanted to make a point of, so oh well. 

Here it is: I think that the bands you listed are less influential than the ones i've listed, in progressive music and its many incarnations. Oh well. 

Well not really. Not my fault if you left you so soon. Wink

Yeah ok and I think the bands I listed are more influential so there. Like I said before agree to disagree on this. Can we put it to rest now? I might throw you a bone though if you agree to replace Tortoise with Sigur Ros. Tortoise doesn't even have any albums with over 70 ratings on here for crying out loud.

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:46

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Kraftwerk is one of the most influential bands in the entire history of recorded non classical/jazz music and not even bands like Nektar and Kansas can hope to approach their influence.  So to suggest that Translatlantic or Spock's Beard should be ranked higher in influence than Kraftwerk defies logic.  I would not claim, as Saperlipopette! did, that bands like Focus or Kansas had no influence of importance on other bands.  But it's a no brainer that Kraftwerk's influence exceeds those bands...easily.  Er, influencing people to rate bands on a prog website does not amount to influencing musicians to derive ideas from a particular band.  What's so groundbreaking about Kansas or Spock's Beard anyway vis-a-vis Kraftwerk?  And with orchestras getting too expensive even by the time they recorded their later albums, Renaissance was never going to be a major influence on other bands because that style demanded a climate in which labels were prepared to burn money on prog with scant returns.

Well for one thing I was talking about prog circles but yeah ok Kraftwerk I get it but I still think there's a ton of bands more influential than them in prog circles including Kansas. To be honest I'd even put Tangerine Dream on the list before Kraftwerk. But no f-ing way is Tortoise more influential than SB, TFK or Kansas in PROG circles. That's just crazy talk.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 00:59

After seeing Fripp's revised KC this year, I must agree.

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 01:16

Regarding the influence only, and if we have to pick just one band, on the top of that misty and floating Prog mountain, may be the Pink Floyd only. I love all of KC studio albums, and just a couple of PF, but the fact is that the Pink Floyd is the most influential prog band ever. This is a band that everyone knows and that has made the genre great with Dark Side of the Moon, an album that I'm not a fan, but again - the facts...

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:03

Well for one thing I was talking about prog circles but yeah ok Kraftwerk I get it but I still think there's a ton of bands more influential than them in prog circles including Kansas. To be honest I'd even put Tangerine Dream on the list before Kraftwerk. But no f-ing way is Tortoise more influential than SB, TFK or Kansas in PROG circles. That's just crazy talk.

Never said Tortoise was more influential than TFK.  I haven't heard Tortoise so I would not like to comment.

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:18
^Sorry, I admit I was sort of mixing the two posters together(you and the other guy). You don't have to hear a band though to be aware of their influence. Hearing a band only tells you if you like them or not. ;)

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:20
I disagree.  Especially in prog, where there is no consensus and people let favouritism cloud their opinions on something fairly objective like influence, I prefer to listen for myself and judge whether the band brought something to the table that was later imitated or used for other new ideas from later bands.

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 02:22
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Regarding the influence only, and if we have to pick just one band, on the top of that misty and floating be the Pink Floyd only. I love all of KC studio albums, and just a couple of PF, but the fact is that the Pink Floyd is the most influential prog band ever. This is a band that everyone knows and that has made the genre great with Dark Side of the Moon, an album that I'm not a fan, but again - the facts...

Yep. I admit that there isn't always a direct correlation between influence and popularity but most of the time there is a pretty strong one. It's pretty difficult for a lesser known band to be more influential than a really well known band. It can happen but it depends on the band. For example, King Crimson is probably much more influential in prog than Styx, Supertramp or the Moody Blues but part of that is because the last three are only marginally prog. If I threw Rush, Yes or Genesis into the mix that changes things quite a bit and even KC is no match for those bands.

Posted By: DreamInSong
Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 12:39
Can only speak toward personal influence...
  1. Pink Floyd
  2. IQ
  3. Porcupine Tree
  4. Van der Graaf Generator
  5. Marillion
  6. Dream Theater
  7. Moody Blues
  8. Anglagard
  9. King Crimson

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 17:22
I guess I don't feel too bad if someone leaves out YES as long as they leave out either ELP or Genesis. :p

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:33
YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Kansas
Gentle Giant
Renaissance
Focus

All of these were a HUGE part of the FM radio growth in the West Coast. They were not the only ones, but the longer cuts and the quality of the work, showed off that AM radio was just a teeny boppers' top ten bubble gum music! At the time, FM radio, was the alternative to the commercial top ten.

Gong
Magma
PFM
Banco
Amon Duul 2
Can
Tangerine Dream
Mike Oldfield
Van der Graaf Generator/Peter Hammill

These were folks that took music a lot further than was imagined, and for the most part they did not get the audience in radio as the respect that they get today, 40+ years after they first appeared in the scene. Their music was highly developed and well played and was not quite designed for radio play at all, although they did find their way into it on one piece or two. 

On the 21st century, things are so different, and the advent of the Internet, has now brought all of these alive, and extended their life an incredible amount of time, and all of them have shown the value of the quality of music they put together regardeless of its definition as progressive or not.

As a sidebar, from 1974 on for over 25 years, a lot of this music was featured, and then some, on Space Pirate Radio by Guy Guden, who remains the one radio jockey that was less afraid of playing things than anyone else out there in the last 45 years!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 01:11
^ interesting that GG were one of the bands that were played a lot on radio. I would have expected them to be in the second list. Vice versa on Mike Oldfield who I would have thought would have been played more ( there was a TB edit especially for radio)

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 02:31

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
VDGG
Porcupine Tree
PFM

UK
Spocks Beard
Renaissance
Focus
Anglagard
Camel
Eloy
The Mars Volta

Flower Kings
Caravan
Nektar
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Transatlantic
Banco

Wow RichardH! I have heard all the bands above Shocked and own most of their music too! yay! Big smile
Mars Volta is one of the most impressive recent bands at the time that appeared, I am happy to see them on your list too besides Transatlantic and the flower kings too :) hugs Hug

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 11:46

You don't seem to grasp the concept of influence. If a band never pioneered or innovated anything in the first place there's very little chance their music will have significant influence on other performers. Tortoise is more influential to other bands than SB, TFK and Kansas combined. But of course if you don't include PA subgenres such as Progressive Electronic or Post Rock in your PROG circle there's not much point in discussing with you. 

Tons of experimental modern rock bands are in direct depth to Tortoise's works made from the mid-90's -early 00's. (and plenty of them are included on PA). Who are the actual bands and artists inspired by this 1974 debuting prog-related group, or those two backwards looking retroproggers anyway? Can you name ten bands on PA influenced by Kansas? Can you name even a handful inspired by SB and TFK? As Horizon more or less says - its more likely that jus like SB and TFK themselves, most other retroproggers look to the pioneering 70's bands an not their cheap imitations. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:02
First off if you want to continue the argument please mention the prog tribute album to Tortoise. I am still waiting for you to tell me about it. You can't because there is none. The Flower Kings do have one therefore the Flower Kings are more influential in prog circles and among prog fans(not to mention they have way more ratings on here than your Tortoise). You don't need to be experimental or super unique to be influential or popular. The Beatles and the Rolling Stones weren't very original sounding when they first started out. In fact they copied and borrowed stuff from blues and r and b guys. Same thing with Led Zeppelin. Look how influential they are!

Also, a band can't really influence anyone if they don't have a big audience. People have to hear it first. I thought I made that clear. You can be innovative and experimental until the cows come home but it doesn't mean squat if you very few people hear your music. Again, I'm calling bullsh*t on Tortoise at least as far as progressive rock goes and I'm not going to say it again. Let's not keep spoiling this thread though. If you want to continue to argue about it send me a pm otherwise I'm done with this particular discussion(for good this time). Obviously we won't agree on this so let's just agree to disagree. ;)

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:10

Ok. A band can't influence anyone if they don't have a big audience. I thought I made that clear. You can be innovative and experimental until the cows come home but it doesn't mean squat if you very few people hear your music. Again, I'm calling bullsh*t on Tortoise at least as far as progressive rock goes and I'm not going to say it again. Let's not keep spoiling this thread though. If you want to continue to argue about it send me a pm otherwise I'm done with this particular discussion(for good this time). Obviously we won't agree on this so let's just agree to disagree. ;)
Continue to argue? This is my first post after I posted my list. But you don't need a big audience to be influential (most artists that has a really big audience aren't influential at all) you just need to have influenced many to create their own stuff. And btw. Tortoise has sold a lot more albums than TFK and SB. I agree that you are wrong and I am right.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:11
Bla, blah blah blah blah. Send me a pm dude. I'm only going to continue this discussion in a pm not on here. Something tells me  you won't.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:12

Bla, blah blah blah blah. Send me a pm dude. I'm only going to continue this discussion in a pm not on here.
You're all out of arguments and a PM's not gonna happen.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:13
Well you totally missed the point as well as being out of arguments because I am right and you are wrong. 

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:18
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
VDGG
Porcupine Tree
PFM

UK
Spocks Beard
Renaissance
Focus
Anglagard
Camel
Eloy
The Mars Volta

Flower Kings
Caravan
Nektar
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Transatlantic
Banco

Wow RichardH! I have heard all the bands above Shocked and own most of their music too! yay! Big smile
Mars Volta is one of the most impressive recent bands at the time that appeared, I am happy to see them on your list too besides Transatlantic and the flower kings too :) hugs Hug

I can't claim credit for the list unfortunately (see the OP) , I just brought some order to it hopefully.Smile

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:18
Finally. Ok folks back to the discussion after I made it clear that TFK, SB and Kansas are bigger and more influential in PROG CIRCLES and as prog bands. Tortoise can climb back in to their little post rock shell now. Yay. I win. :)

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:19

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Regarding the influence only, and if we have to pick just one band, on the top of that misty and floating be the Pink Floyd only. I love all of KC studio albums, and just a couple of PF, but the fact is that the Pink Floyd is the most influential prog band ever. This is a band that everyone knows and that has made the genre great with Dark Side of the Moon, an album that I'm not a fan, but again - the facts...

Yep. I admit that there isn't always a direct correlation between influence and popularity but most of the time there is a pretty strong one. It's pretty difficult for a lesser known band to be more influential than a really well known band. It can happen but it depends on the band. For example, King Crimson is probably much more influential in prog than Styx, Supertramp or the Moody Blues but part of that is because the last three are only marginally prog. If I threw Rush, Yes or Genesis into the mix that changes things quite a bit and even KC is no match for those bands.
It really seems to me that when the bands mentioned their influences, among others of the prog legends, the most mentioned band is Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:23
[It really seems to me that when the bands mentioned their influences, among others of the prog legends, the most mentioned band is Pink Floyd.]

As a blanket statement that is hard to prove. Over all they are indeed the most popular and possibly the most influential. However, the problem lies with the fact that they are not the band most closely associated with prog therefore my vote would be either YES or Genesis. I can even understand when people nominate KC. That said I agree with PF being the most popular but like I said they aren't universally associated with prog the way YES is or even PG era Genesis.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:34

Finally. Ok folks back to the discussion after I made it clear that TFK, SB and Kansas are bigger and more influential in PROG CIRCLES and as prog bands. Tortoise can climb back in to their little post rock shell now. Yay. I win. :)
Its easy to win if you make up your own rules. Enjoy your victory in your selfcomposed little PROG CIRCLE

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:41

Funny because that's exactly what I think you were doing.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 14:47

[It really seems to me that when the bands mentioned their influences, among others of the prog legends, the most mentioned band is Pink Floyd.]

As a blanket statement that is hard to prove. Over all they are indeed the most popular and possibly the most influential. However, the problem lies with the fact that they are not the band most closely associated with prog therefore my vote would be either YES or Genesis. I can even understand when people nominate KC. That said I agree with PF being the most popular but like I said they aren't universally associated with prog the way YES is or even PG era Genesis.
I must admit that sometimes these who has the greater influence discussions get old but early Floyd was avant/psychedelic where as KC was full blown straight up Prog that rocked a lot of Rock groups at the time of ITCotCk's release, world wide. Early Floyd and Genesis (Trespass) simply did not have that effect and Yes, as I stated elsewhere, were too busy trying to be the British version of CS&N with an organ.

KC it was, and will always be.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 15:00

First off if you want to continue the argument please mention the prog tribute album to Tortoise. 

Your measure for influence is a Billy Sherwood knock-off album?

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:16

I must admit that sometimes these who has the greater influence discussions get old but early Floyd was avant/psychedelic where as KC was full blown straight up Prog that rocked a lot of Rock groups at the time of ITCotCk's release, world wide. Early Floyd and Genesis (Trespass) simply did not have that effect and Yes, as I stated elsewhere, were too busy trying to be the British version of CS&N with an organ.

KC it was, and will always be.

Not only the great prog albums (e.g. In The Court of The Crimson King) were influential. Pink Floyd's music in so beautiful  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVKJwRUjlE" rel="nofollow - love scene and especially in that stunning  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ResQFDDsDAI" rel="nofollow - final scene of Zabriskie Point (1970) the film by Michelangelo Antonioni was equally astonishing at that time as e.g. the final scene of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey with the starchild and Also sprach Zarathustra the symphonic poem by Richard Strauss.
Those motion pictures and soundtrack are engraved in the minds of generations.
I don't remember that my fav prog band King Crimson has something like that in their catalogue.

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:28

Vice versa on Mike Oldfield who I would have thought would have been played more ( there was a TB edit especially for radio)
Ah, I forgot to list MO in the overall popularity list! I would place him right after Pink Floyd. 

Date Posted: October 20 2014 at 16:34
It seems i'm not the only one that fails to see Prog_Travellers logic. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:33

As Horizon more or less says - its more likely that jus like SB and TFK themselves, most other retroproggers look to the pioneering 70's bands an not their cheap imitations. 

I wouldn't call SB and TFK cheap imitations. Rather updated 70's sound.

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:36

Can you name ten bands on PA influenced by Kansas?

Proto Kaw, Neal Morse, Salem Hill, Enchant, Cryptic Vision, Magellan, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Vanden Plas, Styx ...

Posted By: JeanFrame
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:36
interesting list, but what about 1-2-3/Clouds, the band who influenced these bands in the first place?

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:36

Proto Kaw, Neal Morse, Salem Hill, Enchant, Cryptic Vision, Magellan, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Vanden Plas, Styx ...

I'm just poking fun - but you do realize Proto Kaw led to Kansas? They reformed decades later but i don't see that as a true example. 

So only 9!

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 17:35

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
KRAFTWERK
FRANK ZAPPA
Magma
CAN
RADIOHEAD
Moody Blues
Genesis
Rush
Jethro Tull
Yes
SOFT MACHINE
TANGERINE DREAM
HENRY COW
TORTOISE
MR BUNGLE
Gong
Van der Graaf Generator
ELP
Anglagard
Caravan
Porcupine Tree
PFM
Camel
Marillion
Gentle Giant
IQ

can't agree about Renaissance especially - many minor group were influenced by them musically and in the Haslam vocals.  I can think of at least a couple heavily influenced by Strawbs, UK and Focus.  Now Nektar, not so sure

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 20:19
^^^  Are there really bands with a Renaissance-like sound?   Maybe some of those Japanese outfits?  Can you mention the ones you're thinking of? Smile Because I have never felt it in Karnataka, Magenta or Mostly Autumn who all had more elements of the sound of PF/Yes/Genesis IMO.  In fact not even in October Project.  Annie Haslam may have influenced other female singers to perform in prog rock bands, yes.  

Date Posted: October 21 2014 at 22:16

^^^  Are there really bands with a Renaissance-like sound?   Maybe some of those Japanese outfits?  Can you mention the ones you're thinking of? Smile Because I have never felt it in Karnataka, Magenta or Mostly Autumn who all had more elements of the sound of PF/Yes/Genesis IMO.  In fact not even in October Project.  Annie Haslam may have influenced other female singers to perform in prog rock bands, yes.  

yeah I was actually thinking of Vermilion Sands and the related group whose name escapes me.
Recently was listening to fine album by Quebecois group ELIPHASZ which liberally quoted two Renaissance songs in its melodies  - "Kiev" and "Kindness at the End".  AMENOPHIS pilfers a passage from "A Song for All Seasons" on their self titled album.  I know the latter might have itself been stolen by REnaissance from some penniless deceased composer but it probably still came to AMENOPHIS via RENAISSANCE.  Brazilian one-off ARION seems influenced by both versions of RENAISSANCE, as does 1970s German band REBEKKA, particularly their album "Phoenix".  Then there's CAROLE OF HARVEST, more folky than Renaissance but  the voclaist must have listened to Annie.  Spanish group SNOWDONIA are another.  I even think the GORDON GILTRAP - OLIVER WAKEMAN recent collaboration has some Renaissance sounding material.  I'm sure there are more.  The thing is, RENAISSANCE were well known enough to have cast some influence, since most of these bands had probably heard them.  With some obscure bands, similarities to other bands might be due to common ancestry rather than direct influence

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 01:10

and also Sonja Kristina

Kansas are also mentioned as a band with 'no influence' but Glass Hammer have clearly incorporated elements of the Kansas sound with the Vioia and Violin on one or two albums so that statement is not true. I'm sure their must also be other symph prog bands from the USA that would cite Kansas as an influence.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 02:21
Hawkwind - one of the most influential bands on PA

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:34

I'm just poking fun - but you do realize Proto Kaw led to Kansas? They reformed decades later but i don't see that as a true example. 

So only 9!

OK. If PK doesn't count - someone mentioned Glass Hammer.

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:02
I've noticed it seems a put down of artists to say they haven't really influenced anyone, but honestly, how could any well known band with hundreds of thousands if not millions of fans NOT have influenced anyone?  Also, it might be to a band's credit that it's hard to find followers, since it suggests their sound was a bit hard to duplicate, or could not be pigeon holed.  

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:58

Kansas are also mentioned as a band with 'no influence' but Glass Hammer have clearly incorporated elements of the Kansas sound with the Vioia and Violin on one or two albums so that statement is not true. I'm sure their must also be other symph prog bands from the USA that would cite Kansas as an influence.

Yes, and as somebody else mentioned, DT themselves are influenced by Kansas.  It's much more noticeable in Symphony X, especially in tracks like Accolade.  I would not however place their influence above that of Kraftwerk or, for that matter, on par with the big prog rock bands of the first wave viz.  PF, KC, Yes, Genesis, JT, ELP.  Needless to say, it's unfair to say they have no influence.  I think any band of reasonable repute and with a reasonably distinct sound would exert some measure of influence.  

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 23:58
I'm only going to rank the influence of bands I have listened to :P 
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
YES
Genesis
ELP
Jethro Tull
Dream Theater
Camel
Caravan
Porcupine Tree
Van der Graaf Generator
Gentle Giant
Kansas
Focus
Moody Blues
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Marillion

Most of the neo prog bands are at the bottom, because they did not so much influence anyone themselves, as they were influenced by 70s progressive rock 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 00:21
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I've noticed it seems a put down of artists to say they haven't really influenced anyone, but honestly, how could any well known band with hundreds of thousands if not millions of fans NOT have influenced anyone?  Also, it might be to a band's credit that it's hard to find followers, since it suggests their sound was a bit hard to duplicate, or could not be pigeon holed.  

Exactly. This is why my original intention was for it to be as much about over all popularity (in the prog world)than about influence. Some people ran away with what I had in mind and started to mention bands that I(and many others)would not consider prog and imo do not have a big influence among the fans of traditional prog and what has typically been considered prog. Gentle Giant were a band that were not easily duplicated and had their own sound but were still very popular in the prog world. But to assume something has to be super original or have their own sound in order to be considered influential or important or popular is just silly. Marillion for example are one of the biggest post seventies prog bands and yet they could easily be accused of not having much of their own sound especially in the early days when they were considered by many critics to be copying the PG era Genesis sound.

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 03:09

I think I wrote "no influence of real importance" which is exactly what I meant. Some bands pave way for myriads of bands (and continue to do so) and create whole genres, such as King Crimson and Pink Floyd while others have a sound on their viola and violin that other bands incorporate.

I love Banco but to me its obvious that their three fantastic first albums hasn't been influential in any important way. They were too late in the game and didn't bring anything new to the table when they arrived. But it still great music and many people like them. While Goblin probably weren't the biggest selling italian band (but like Tortoise they sold lots more albums than all the retroproggers do) there's little doubt that its their inventive approach from their 70's Argento OST's that are the most influential.

The bands we discover after we''ve heard all the pioneering bands in all the different kinds of progressive music when we look for more of the stuff in a similar vein, are logically less influential than the bands that were the true originators.   

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 18:07
just happened to see Renaissance in Philadelphia last night - great show!  And who should appear on the stage for one of the encores but Mary Fahl of OCTOBER PROJECT, claiming to have been swept away by Annie and Renaissance as a sullen 16 year old.

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

yeah I was actually thinking of Vermilion Sands and the related group whose name escapes me.
Recently was listening to fine album by Quebecois group ELIPHASZ which liberally quoted two Renaissance songs in its melodies  - "Kiev" and "Kindness at the End".  AMENOPHIS pilfers a passage from "A Song for All Seasons" on their self titled album.  I know the latter might have itself been stolen by REnaissance from some penniless deceased composer but it probably still came to AMENOPHIS via RENAISSANCE.  Brazilian one-off ARION seems influenced by both versions of RENAISSANCE, as does 1970s German band REBEKKA, particularly their album "Phoenix".  Then there's CAROLE OF HARVEST, more folky than Renaissance but  the voclaist must have listened to Annie.  Spanish group SNOWDONIA are another.  I even think the GORDON GILTRAP - OLIVER WAKEMAN recent collaboration has some Renaissance sounding material.  I'm sure there are more.  The thing is, RENAISSANCE were well known enough to have cast some influence, since most of these bands had probably heard them.  With some obscure bands, similarities to other bands might be due to common ancestry rather than direct influence

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 19:41
Yeah, apparently they are friends. They had met up a month or couple of months back or so and Annie wondered aloud on her FB page whether this could be the start of something.  Turns out it was.  Heard Mary sang a duet with Annie on I Think of You?

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 22:54
I'm not overly familiar with October Project but not surprised Mary is a fan. I can see some similarities. I saw this announcement over on PE but even though I'm in the general area I didn't make it over there last night. I did however see Renaissance at the final Nearfest and thought they were great.  I actually met Annie once at one of her art exhibits a few years ago(she lives in the area). I didn't know she was friends with Mary Fahl though.

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 09:03
It is only guesswork on my part.  But as per the FB post of Annie's that I referred to, she had dinner with Mary and her husband, probably at their place.  That sounds rather intimate for people who are not friends, so I made the inference.  And as I googled up that FB post to verify, I found that Mary had also shared some earlier post of Annie's so it seems to be a pretty reasonable conclusion to make that they would be friends.  What I can say with more certainty is Mary is a huge fan of Annie's as kennethlevine's above comment also confirms and Annie too has praised Mary Fahl as an incredible singer in a couple of interviews.   I am glad they performed together and maybe Mary can relieve Annie of her duties as the Renaissance woman eventually (or would it be heresie to suggest that?).

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:26
yes they did "I think of you", not one of my favorite Renaissance songs.  I would have preferred they tackle the more duet ready "Closer than Yesterday".  The band did an amazing version of Mother Russia, and the Ashes are Burning encore rivalled the bar-setting version on "Live at Carnegie Hall", with plenty of differences.  The newer material generally just doesn't measure up, especially from an energy perspective, with the live versions sounding as tired as they do on the CD, but "Grandine Il Vento" is pretty good, especially its very emotive ending showing Annie at her best, and "The Mystic and The Muse" is definitely in the old style.  They opened with a great rendition of "Prologue".  I was ecstatic to hear "Opening Out" and "Day of the Dreamer" back to back but felt Annie wasn't high enough  in the mix.  Maybe I should cut and paste this to the concert reviews page.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk