Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRank these bands according to influence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rank these bands according to influence
    Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:33
Although popularity is by no means the be all end all of my enjoyment of the music but I do find it interesting especially considering how things can change over time. So I decided to make up a list of about 30 prog bands(give or take)and let you guys rank them in order of over all popularity, importance and influence. You can make two lists if you want(one for over all popularity and one for importance as a prog band and in the prog community). To keep everyone happy you can add or subtract up to five bands if you wish and make your own list(but you don't have to). Here is the list(in no order).

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
Spock's Beard
Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Gentle Giant
Van der Graaf Generator
Camel
Caravan
Nektar
UK
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Renaissance
Transatlantic
Anglagard
PFM
Banco
Focus

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 16 2014 at 13:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:40
Update: I added Transatlantic at the last minute making it 26. I figured if I had UK on there I should put Transatlantic on there too(but no Asia Tongue).

Update #2: I added a few more to make it an even 30. I decided not to include any solo acts for this list. Even 30 doesn't seem like enough. The list could just go on and on but I had to stop it somewhere and 30 seemed like plenty.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 16 2014 at 13:02
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:07
LOL! I suppose you could add bands like Supertramp, Focus, PFM & The Soft Machine to make it a round thirty..but ranking them in any order is pretty much an impossible task imho, since they were/are all hugely popular, important and influential in one way or another. Embarrassed

Edit: God - you must have been reading my mind while I was writing my post ^. LOL You got two of them in there now at least!!

Edited by yam yam - October 16 2014 at 13:11
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:14
Pink Floyd
Genesis
King Crimson
Rush

After those four, in no particular order, Yes, The Moody Blues and Magma.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:23
Genesis (most influential prog group ever, no doubt in my mind)
King Crimson (influenced a wide range of artists outside of conventional prog and was constantly reinventing themselves)
Marillion (influenced tons of third rate neo prog bands)
Renaissance (influenced me!)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:00

I am going to group them into four divisions and I've added a couple of bands (ELoy and The Mars Volta) to make the leagues an even number. All bands are ranked equal in their leagues so Yes is not meant to be top and GG not bottom. The leagues represent importance in my mind as well as the bands that I consider to be influential and popular.

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

Kansas
Marillion
IQ
Dream Theater
Moody Blues
VDGG
Porcupine Tree
PFM

UK
Spocks Beard
Renaissance
Focus
Anglagard
Camel
Eloy
The Mars Volta

Flower Kings
Caravan
Nektar
Gong
Magma
Strawbs
Transatlantic
Banco

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:20
Oh, yeah, I have the time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:04
Richard H, I like what  you did with my list. I like how you cleaned it up and organized it. Just out of curiosity who did you omit from my original list?

Yam yam, that must be a coincidence since I did not see your post until a little while ago. PFM are probably the most well known Italian band. Eloy are probably the most well known German band and Ange is probably the most well known French band next to Magma. I didn't include the last two but they certainly deserve a mention and would be included if the list was bigger. That said I don't have a problem with any list that has Eloy on it. ;)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:08
King Crimson and then everyone else.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:12
Is it just me or does YES take a back seat to Genesis and KC according to some of you? YES weren't even mentioned in one small batch of bands listed by one poster. Is it possible that YES's influence and even popularity has diminished somewhat over the years?

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 16 2014 at 16:13
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:19
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Is it just me or does YES take a back seat to Genesis and KC according to some of you? YES weren't even mentioned in one small batch of bands listed by one poster. Is it possible that YES's influence and even popularity has diminished somewhat over the years?
It's you.

Just kidding, if you go chronologically, KC and Genesis were first as to indentifying their sound as prog while Yes were still making folk rock albums and dreaming of being the British Crosby, Stills and Nash.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:20
Also I kind of think that if you put The Mars Volta on the list then you also have to add Radiohead, Muse and Tool. Does anyone else agree with me there? Wink In other words I kind of feel like they are a fringe band in some ways. Like the others I just mentioned much of their fanbase wasn't even made up of prog fans. Still I can understand their inclusion and their importance.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 16 2014 at 16:22
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:26

Also I kind of think that if you put The Mars Volta on the list then you also have to add Radiohead, Muse and Tool. Does anyone else agree with me there? Wink In other words I kind of feel like they are a fringe band in some ways. Like the others I just mentioned much of their fanbase wasn't even made up of prog fans. Still I can understand their inclusion and their importance.
A tough one as MV, RH and Muse sound like bands that went before. Tool to me is totally a reactive post grundge sound with cool videos, but that's as far as I'll go with them.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:27

When you spend 25 years smearing your name, yea, that tends to happen. 

Plus it is just because those two bands are better anyways. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:30
^Ooh, snap!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I am going to group them into four divisions and I've added a couple of bands (ELoy and The Mars Volta) to make the leagues an even number. All bands are ranked equal in their leagues so Yes is not meant to be top and GG not bottom. The leagues represent importance in my mind as well as the bands that I consider to be influential and popular.

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

snipping anything past the 1st division.  I like the grouping, but would definitely re-order it and shorten it to 5 that really were influential.

ELP - in the dictionation under Prog , for better and especially for worst, is ELP.  The most influential (not most popular) prog group ever.  No doubter.  Prog showcased that the keys were not simply a supporting insturment but could lead. Who really did that better than ELP.

Yes-  longevity, pretty much like ELP covers what Prog is all about. Stellar musicianship that overcomes silly hippy-drippy lyrics, often stupid and painful hahah, muso's thinking they are philosophers.

Rush - the influence on the 2nd generation is obviously immense.

Genesis - really for the influence they had in Italy which was a leading catalyst in the formation of the single most vibrant prog scene of any single nation.  Thank Genesis for that,   as much as it pains me to admit it.  I will never understand the appeal of this group pre-pop. 

Floyd - pretty much created space-rock and a massive influence on the German scene.

the rest..  respected, influential to degrees. but those 5 are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

Edited by micky - October 16 2014 at 16:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

When you spend 25 years smearing your name, yea, that tends to happen. 

Plus it is just because those two bands are better anyways. 

Hello? "That's all,""In too deep,"" I can't dance"," Land of confusion","Jesus he knows me", "throwing it all away." Do these titles mean anything to you? Wink Yeah, no name smearing there.Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:52
And yet as a massively successful pop group, Genesis still beat Yes. 

Owner of a Lonely Heart can only carry them so far. Listening to the songs you listed eventually had me look into their past. Songs like Mama, Turn It On Again, Land of Confusion, Follow You Follow Me, No Son of Mine... etc etc were fantastic songs. 

Plus throwing out Anderson in his time of illness is just cringe-worthy. Cycling threw vocalists to try to stay afloat and yet still making a mockery of themselves is pretty damn silly. At least Genesis figured out they needed Phil after CAS, not trying to grab more clones and touring. 

Edited by Horizons - October 16 2014 at 16:55
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
Rush
King Crimson
Gentle Giant

snipping anything past the 1st division.  I like the grouping, but would definitely re-order it and shorten it to 5 that really were influential.

ELP - in the dictionation under Prog , for better and especially for worst, is ELP.  The most influential (not most popular) prog group ever.  No doubter.  Prog showcased that the keys were not simply a supporting insturment but could lead. Who really did that better than ELP.

Yes-  longevity, pretty much like ELP covers what Prog is all about. Stellar musicianship that overcomes silly hippy-drippy lyrics, often stupid and painful hahah, muso's thinking they are philosophers.

Rush - the influence on the 2nd generation is obviously immense.

Genesis - really for the influence they had in Italy which was a leading catalyst in the formation of the single most vibrant prog scene of any single nation.  Thank Genesis for that,   as much as it pains me to admit it.  I will never understand the appeal of this group pre-pop. 

Floyd - pretty much created space-rock and a massive influence on the German scene.

the rest..  respected, influential to degrees. but those 5 are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

I like what micky details here....I guess with my so-so like of ELP, hard to agree, but they were very influential.  
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:39
Since I have nothin' else to do on this fine evening .. I wish .. here is my attempt

The original influencers, in the original order:

YES
Genesis
Jethro Tull
ELP
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Magma

The rest of the listed bands I either do not categorize as "prog", or do not consider primary/unique influencers, or don't like at all, or have too little knowledge about (or simply overlooked)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>