Print Page | Close Window

WINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100327
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 06:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.
Posted By: micky
Subject: WINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 07:56
In the spirit of the upcoming football tournament and of course of the ever popular March Madness basketball tournament we are going to reprise the incedibly fun PA's battle of the Bands we had a number of years ago here on the site.

Unlike the NCAA the band selections will not be done in some smoky backroom, nor done by famous heads of state.  It will be done by US!.

The format will be a 32 band showdown. Seeded 1-32 (thought 64 was simply too many and tedious through the early stages). The winner shall be crowned the ultimate progressive rock band.  Voters are encouraged to vote on overall impact, influence and popularity.  Of course people will vote on simple personal preference and there is nothing that can be done about that LOL However if one tries to take  the larger view it can lead to some fun discussions.

In that spirit. Here are the 32 bands Raff and I came up with morning we thought truly were the most impactful, influential, and popular. 

Seeding will done and the brackets posted a week from now.  For the next week, we want to hear from you all. What bands are missing from this list?  I'll judge any bands and makes changes accordingly (bonus points to well thought out reasoning and explanations!) and adjust the list based on feedback.

Here is a morning coffee and heavily discussed (between Raff and I haha) list of the top 32 progressive rock bands of all time.

Yes
King Crimson
ELP
Genesis
Floyd
Rush
Jethro Tull
Dream Theater
Soft Machine
Magma
Zappa/M.O.I
Can
VDGG
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Gentle Giant
Caravan
Kraftwerk
Porcupine Tree
Kansas
Traffic
Tangerine Dream
PFM
Amon Duul  II
Gong
Henry Cow
Univers Zero
Anglagard
Camel
Radiohead
Mars Volta
Colosseum
Supertramp

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:08
Good to have you and Raff back here Micky!Clap

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity. The only ones I might argue for are Kayo Dot, Opeth and Isis. KD are a surprisingly popular modern avant-guard band but I'm biased and I'm never really that sure of whether they are that popular or if this site exists in a microcosm. Opeth are a massively successful Prog Metal band that have probably done more to push the idea that extreme metal and prog don't have to be mutually exclusive than any one else. Isis are similar but more specifically towards Post Metal, they weren't the genre's founders but I'd say have done more than Neurosis, who were, to push the genre onwards whilst being very popular.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:10
+1 on Opeth. Excellent suggestion! I'll be looking hard at them. The trick is, as Raff as I already ran into as I didn't include a band she thought could be on there, who to remove?

edit.  Thanks!  Great to be back, the forum really is different animal these days. Nowadays you can leave the sidearms and bodyarmor at the door when you log in. I miss the wild west days of the old forum to some extent, but with enough drama in real life, it is nice to have a chill atmosphere here.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:14
I think the two most likely to head for the chop would be Colosseum and Supertramp, I wouldn't want to be the one to explain that decision though!

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:15

What upcoming football competition?

Anyway, yes, I echo Sleeper's thoughts that it is nice to have you both back around the place. Big smile.  The only, person who appreciates the Throwing Muses as much as I do. 

Not sure anyone is missing I will have a think.  I am, quite partial to the FA cup and would suggest NO SEEDING and a draw from a large psychadelic Prog type cat in a HAT?

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:15
Colosseum was the 32nd in LOL, and likely the first to go for a more deserving omission.  Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:21
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

What upcoming football competition?

Anyway, yes, I echo Sleeper's thoughts that it is nice to have you both back around the place. Big smile.  The only, person who appreciates the Throwing Muses as much as I do. 

Not sure anyone is missing I will have a think.  I am, quite partial to the FA cup and would suggest NO SEEDING and a draw from a large psychadelic Prog type cat in a HAT?

Heart I had an old girlfriend that was bonkers for them, especially Kristen Hersh, and I immediately fell in love the group, and her.

Part of the fun will be seeding, and having some interesting matchups, and who I am kidding.  You all know I have a score to settle.  You can bet 2 bands will be meeting.... LOL

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:46
IQ?
Marillion?
Hatfield & The North?
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum?
Dead Can Dance?
Return To Forever?
Discipline?
Echolyn?
UK?
Hawkwind?

Don't see any Neo in your list so probably want one or both of Marillion or IQ. Can't think of compelling arguments why any of these would oust another band but they would all probably be worthy entries. The rest of my suggestions would probably be considered massive underdogs.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:01
Ahhh... neo. 

It is up for discussion, but let me explain the thoughts behind the (intended) omission from the first list.  I think it is clear it is, as it should be, a relatively 70's heavy list.  The modern bands I did include were not simply 'reactionary' bands but bands that either brought something completely new and/or were in themselves extremely influential in the continuation of the current prog scene.

This is why I started the thread Ian. Thumbs Up I do love a good discussion.  Anyone can (can anyone?) make a case for one of the neo bands really having something other than being a function of some bands VERY high degree of influence (ahem.. Genesis) and they can be included.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:16

In which case I can't see a good reason for omitting Hawkwind.  One of the most influential of 70s bands on PA. 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:20
yes. They were on the orignal list but got bumped. I thought I was playing personal fav.

sitting at 33 was Uriah Heep.  I wonder if anyone thinks they should be on, one of the seminal early heavy prog bands.

who to remove.

I think Colosseum is gone, and Opeth was most certainly a glaring omission.  For any others strong cases can be made.  I might fiddle with the intended brackets. Perhaps 1st round byes for #1 seeds and pick 4 more for a wildcard 8-9 matchup. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:26
I can't believe I didn't think of Marillion. Although Marillion have often been called a clone of Genesis I feel this is completely unfair, they've always had a darker tone to their music and their arrangements were very different to any other bands at the time or before, though obviously Genesis and Pink Floyd were both strong influences on the band. However, they've moved a long long way from there and comparing those early Fish albums with Brave, Marbles or Sounds That Can't be Made would be like listening to completely different bands, though Season's End, largely written whilst Fish was still in the band, suggests they may very well have moved off in this direction regardless of the change in vocalist.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:36
Thumbs Up

the fun will be now deciding who to remove,  so not only suggest omissions but balance that versus the omissions having more merit than bands already picked.

Colosseum is dead man walking from the list. Opeth was a no brainer that takes their spot. One we simply forgot. 

We did discuss Marillion briefly. I think both Raff and I take too hard a view of Neo. I see your points and judge them worthy LOLClap

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:44
When Marillion are suggested by an Avant head who only owns one neo CD you know they may be a missTongue

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

When Marillion are suggested by an Avant head who only owns one neo CD you know they may be a missTongue

LOLThumbs Up

Raff and I just shared a big full belly laugh over the end result of you all's great suggestions.

There is ONE band that sticks out like a sore thumb on that list that doesn't belong. Yet in their funny way, they are the real reason for the whole premise of doing this. REVENGE!!!

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:51
I did actually suggest Marillion, but my better half initially disagreed, and I did not push the issue because I had to start doing some houseworkLOL. On the other hand, I completely forgot about Opeth. Too many things on my mind, I supposeWink.

Anyway, my own rationale for suggesting bands was how influential they were. As someone who has reviewed hundreds of albums in the past five years or so, I based my choices on how often I had heard echoes of a given band or artist in someone else's music. This made bands like Dream Theater, The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree (and, to a certain extent, Radiohead) a shoe-in.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 09:52
hahha. Hiding behind housework. OK. You didn't suggest it, we saw them on DDD list and we both went... ehhh.

I see how it is... hanging me out to dry you are LOL

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:22

LOL

Nice one Ian.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:30
This is tough Micky......mostly because of the always interesting (NOT) definition of prog. What constitutes a prog band? ......and no please let us not go down that road - I still have soar elbows from the last time.
But if we're talking about the top prog artists, or indeed the top artists featured here on PA, then in terms of sheer popularity and albums sold, then you're missing Neurosis, Tool and Alcest. All hugely influential and have sold more records than most of the bands featured on your listWink

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:41
Tool certainly deserve to be in.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:46
Procol Harum definitely ought to be in there, as should Mike Oldfield. Harmonium, Pavlov's Dog and The Moodies are some personal favourites, but the first 2 could be switched with Colosseum and Univers Zero or something..

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 10:48
very tough!  Thus fun in my warped mind. What constitutes a prog band?

That road might have have given you sore elbows, it left me gut shot and left for dead in the middle of the street. LOL

Thus I left off bands that could be there that are on this site that are hugely unique, massively popular, very progressive etc but are not considered by the vast majority to be...ahem.. prog. Bands like ELO, Deep Purple, and hahaha. Steely Dan.

Two of those three bands I have to frickin google, and I am no dummy nor a 70's purist who only listens to the moldie oldies. Even Tool which even this idiot knows and has heard is still not generally considered to be a 'prog' band. However I do think the modern bands included on the list, are to a high degree of consensus considered by fans of prog.. to be prog.  Then again, I have my own notions (which I've posted several times.. casting the bait into the water hoping for a discussion related bite) of the very VERY definitions of prog rock and progressive rock. The site includes both, many are fans of both, but IMO they are not the same.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:01
Exactly, that is the rub.....and yes there are quite the number of bands featured on PA that I don't necessarily think of as prog but still understand why they're here - ie most of the artists featured in Krautrock, Electronic, Folk, Indo/raga, post rock, avant and fusionTongue 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:09
I believe SBB and Echolyn are deserving of being on the list.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:12
Uhhhh SBB.

KarlstadHeart

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:14
and a long productive career

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:15
exactly.  I tend to see a nice 3 layer organization to what is included here on the site.

Progressive music which generally includes the avant and electronic stuff
within that bubble..
you have progressive rock which includes a great deal of the folksie stuff never really associated with prog rock, along with the J-R, post-rock etc etc
and finally within that
you have prog rock which is, or has become synonymous with the old 70's warhorses and their clone offshoots up to the present day like the frickin Flower Kings. Not a progressive bone in that group, but prog rock because they filled dots as needed per the stylistic norms NOW associated with prog rock.

as the 70's warhorses were once the flagbearers and public face of the progressive movement I do think it natural as well as applicable, if one wants to have poll/contest where the vast majority of the forum can take an interest and know the bands, to mainly include really just a subset of the groups listed upon the site. The generally established prog rock groups along with the greatest of bands from those of the two larger sets, progressive rock and progressive music.

I'm sure one can dig up some extremely influential, progressive, and massively popularly prog death doom black viking shread technical metal band, that judged simply ON those criteria should merit inclusion on a top list. However to me David they simply wouldn't fit. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:16
Echolyn's career spanning the same time period as Anglagard and being more productive.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:18
By the end of the day, this will be a top 100 list LOL

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Echolyn's career spanning the same time period as Anglagard and being more productive.

as I said anything and everything is open to discussion but Anglagard got the nod not simply for being who they were, but their still lasting impact today on a countries prog scene today through the music and the groups members.  Much greater IMO than Echolyn ever had. 

However if I'm wrong, explain to me why I might be! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

exactly.  I tend to see a nice 3 layer organization to what is included here on the site.

Progressive music which generally includes the avant and electronic stuff
within that bubble..
you have progressive rock which includes a great deal of the folksie stuff never really associated with prog rock, along with the J-R, post-rock etc etc
and finally within that
you have prog rock which is, or has become synonymous with the old 70's warhorses and their clone offshoots up to the present day like the frickin Flower Kings. Not a progressive bone in that group, but prog rock because they filled dots as needed per the stylistic norms NOW associated with prog rock.

as the 70's warhorses were once the flagbearers and public face of the progressive movement I do think it natural as well as applicable, if one wants to have poll/contest where the vast majority of the forum can take an interest and know the bands, to mainly include really just a subset of the groups listed upon the site. The generally established prog rock groups along with the greatest of bands from those of the two larger sets, progressive rock and progressive music.

I'm sure one can dig up some extremely influential, progressive, and massively popularly prog death doom black viking shread technical metal band, that judged simply ON those criteria should merit inclusion on a top list. However to me David they simply wouldn't fit. 

I can relate don't worrySmile 

(especially regarding the Flower Kings - even if I have a lot of friends who swear by them)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

By the end of the day, this will be a top 100 list LOL

LOLClap

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:26
Could we have a preliminary round where only the top 2 or 3 go through to the Cup Proper?  ie put all suggestions in a hat

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:30
Yeah, Anglagard are a lot easier to imitate then Echolyn are, just my opinion.Here is a quote from a review......Chronicling the various conflicts of America, both domestic and foreign, Cowboy Poems Free is glorious and sometimes downtrodden take on both the big picture and the more common elements of life. Each vignette is treated with respect (although there is a touch sarcasm from time to time), and upon digging into the words, I came away with a sense of awe: Many of these tracks are magnificent tributes to the men and women who have railed against hardship, be it economic or martial. The often grim lyrics are usually juxtaposed with music that evokes an opposite feeling, which unbelievably contributes to the powerful nature of this work.

So I believe Echolyn is more representative of prog rock with thoughtful mature lyrics combined with awsome musicianship. Where are Anglagard's lyrics? With Echolyn I know immediately they are from America. 

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:32
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Could we have a preliminary round where only the top 2 or 3 go through to the Cup Proper?  ie put all suggestions in a hat

I really intended just to sit back and read, but who am I kidding, I let myself get sucked into the discussion. However I am going to back back out and just judge the replies/suggestion on their merit.

However I will say, I am leaning towards that. There are some bands that should be there and really only one, as much as I want it to be there for personal REVENGE reasons, that is  the classic textbook example of 2nd or 3rd division prog, and has no business being on that list

I am leaning towards byes for the top 2 seeds and expanding to perhaps 40 bands seeded one through ten.

too many good suggestions, too many good ones already on the list.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:43

So I believe Echolyn is more representative of prog rock with thoughtful mature lyrics combined with awsome musicianship. Where are Anglagard's lyrics? With Echolyn I know immediately they are from America. 

Why does prog need lyrics?

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:46
Good to have these poll, although there in the south its summer time!
I think RPI is too low represent on the list (only PFM). I suggest Banco del Mutuo Soccorso instead of Colosseum.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:49

it is often best without it  LOL

re: Echolyn.  There is a lot of great music, great bands not on the lists. I could toss in scores of groups that fit that. We all could.

What I am looking for in trying to do the list is... are  they important.. why are they important in the grand scheme of prog.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:51

It does not but if it will help Echolyn get in the contest I will use it.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:53
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Good to have these poll, although there in the south its summer time!
I think RPI is too low represent on the list (only PFM). I suggest Banco del Mutuo Soccorso instead of Colosseum.

Colosseum is gone in my revised list. 

However if I was to include another Italian group, it would be Osanna. For one they had a huge influence on one of the greatest of all prog bands, as well as doing one of what some (including myself) consider to be of the best prog rock albums ever done, as well as still being a semi active and influential group today.

I didn't include them for two reasons.  Lack of space, and not wanting to be seen as a homer. LOL I might put them in the next 8 however. I'll have to think that one over.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:55
^

A 'Lack of Space' another reason to include Hawkwind.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:59
I corrected myself on that.  I can't remember why I deleted them in the first place, perhaps being oversensitive to including strong personal favorites even as important as they were, but thanks to you all. I see it wasn't just me that thought so and so they are back in.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is tough Micky......mostly because of the always interesting (NOT) definition of prog. What constitutes a prog band? ......and no please let us not go down that road - I still have soar elbows from the last time.
But if we're talking about the top prog artists, or indeed the top artists featured here on PA, then in terms of sheer popularity and albums sold, then you're missing Neurosis, Tool and Alcest. All hugely influential and have sold more records than most of the bands featured on your listWink

I know Micky's shot this down already, but I'd disagree strongly with Alcest, I know they're quite successful but IMO are a long way from being the best the Atmospheric Black Metal genre has to offer and even further from being one of it's first bands. Groups like Weakling, Drudkh and Wolves in the Throne Room had been there and doing that for years before Alcest came along. There not even Niege's first band in the style, with Amoseurs pre dating them.

I'd argue for Isis over Neurosis, mainly because Neurosis have been producing rather middling albums since the seminal Through Silver in Blood and because I think Isis did more to further the genre and may have been more popular in the end anyway. Completely agree on Tool though.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:15
Just to clarify: this is not a list of our favourite bands - far from that. Anyone who knows us - either virtually or in real life - also knows that we aren't exactly fans of Genesis, Marillion, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, yet these bands have all been selected for our list. Furthermore, some of these bands appeal to one of us and not to the other (The Mars Volta come to mind). We tried to be as impartial as possible, judging each of the entries on the basis of their influentiality and popularity rather than our personal tastes.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:16
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets. I think whats been shown here is that there are a lot of bands that have had a strong impact on Prog and that whittling it down to just 32 may mean that several bands get cut simply due to a lack of space more than any actual reasoning regarding their music and influence.

It's also hard not to throw in a list of another 20 bands that I find amazing, but I'm well aware that I may be the only that would consider them worth voting for.

I'm also interested to see which band it is that you want revenge on Micky!

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I know Micky's shot this down already, but I'd disagree strongly with Alcest, I know they're quite successful but IMO are a long way from being the best the Atmospheric Black Metal genre has to offer and even further from being one of it's first bands. Groups like Weakling, Drudkh and Wolves in the Throne Room had been there and doing that for years before Alcest came along. There not even Niege's first band in the style, with Amoseurs pre dating them.

I'd argue for Isis over Neurosis, mainly because Neurosis have been producing rather middling albums since the seminal Through Silver in Blood and because I think Isis did more to further the genre and may have been more popular in the end anyway. Completely agree on Tool though.

You may have a point, but then again are we talking 'most successful', 'subjectively best' or 'most influential' here? Top bands can mean a lot of thingsTongue
I'd argue that while Alcest may not be the most original group out there, they sure as hell have garnered quite the crowd. Not necessarily a prog crowd thoughLOL but still a larger audience than any of those you mention.

Edit: Ninja'd by Raff

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:21

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets.

that is a nice idea. Really beyond seeding the first 8.. perhaps 16 it is a coinflip anyway.

I might just do that.

As far as revenge.  We go back many years to a Battle of the Bands polls we had. A result I never forgot nor forgave... this time I meant to have revenge. And still might if we go up to 64 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:23

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go with 64 bands, and set them up in a group stage to cut the first 32 before getting into the brackets.  It might need including bands that are solely there to be shot down, but hay that can be fun too as are upsets.

that is a nice idea. Really beyond seeding the first 8.. perhaps 16 it is a coinflip anyway.

I might just do that.

As far as revenge.  We go back many years to a Battle of the Bands polls we had. A result I never forgot nor forgave... this time I meant to have revenge. And still might if we go up to 64 LOL

Lol, that made me laugh!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:31
its been a running joke for years.  f**king Camel.  LOL 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:41
Don't hate me micky but I'd vote Camel ahead of ELP all day long.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:41
I don't think I would vote for f**king Camel above any of the bands you listed.

and surely f**kiing Camel is illegal? Even in Texas.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:42

-------------

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:45
It might be a personal bias but looking at the list I would take Opeth over DT. I feel that DT had a huge influence over the early days of prog metal but they have really failed in the recent years and these days are trying to copy THEIR OWN INFLUENCE to try to stay afloat instead of trying to push the boundaries. They are a technically inclined band who often times forgets that it is a SONG that people are interested in listening to and not just the instruments.

Opeth on the other hand are highly dynamic band that is willing to sacrifice what their fans know about them (Damnation, Heritage) in order to actually further their sound. They took up the tipping progressive metal flag and have led the charge since Blackwater Park (which was likely helped by Steve Wilson's production and Porcupine Tree's foray into metal in the early naughties.) Others have come along since then that have also made an impact but I would say that Mikael and his Swedish clan would have been able to make their mark with or without the groundwork laid by DT in the 90s.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:46

Embarrassed

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:46

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:51
With the expanded playing field we can have both, perhaps even more. Perhaps Tool, perhaps Symphony X whom I find more prog and interesting than any of them (perhaps with exception of Opeth) but then again I am not a fan nor all knowledgeable on the field. Dream Theater though is a must, no matter how much they suck or how tasteless the group is.  Their impact and influence much like ELP's LOLLOL is undeniable regardless of what one thinks of them or their music.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 12:58

'Dream Theater though is a must, no matter how much they suck or how tasteless the group is'

LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:21

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity.

same here, man!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:24
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Can't really argue with that list, I may not like many of those listed but they really are the top 32 based on impact, influence and popularity.

same here, man!!

What's up with you guys? We're meant to argue endlessly about this sort of stuff.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:27
I'd suggest Hawkwind as they initiated the sub-genre of Space Rock which makes them influential. They also had an impact on future bands such as Ozric Tentalces who took those influences in a brand new dircetion. They would lose first round anyway so no big deal Tongue

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:34

same here, man!!

What's up with you guys? We're meant to argue endlessly about this sort of stuff.

exactly!! LOL

I do think it was a nice first attempt.  But agree, there were 3 glaring omissions.

Hawkwind, Marillion, and Opeth.  3 bands to add, 2 bands that could easily come off. Camel and Colosseum.

It is meant to be fun, not an intellectual exercise, so we will expand it past 32 and add some more that IMO fell just outside the top 32 and likely only seed the very top and give some byes to them to keep the voting interesting early on.

Keep the suggestions coming. Remember.  There is lots of great music, great bands. Who in your opinoions were the historically important ones

that is the way I am leaning now. 

-------------

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:00

I believe SBB are deserving of being on the list.

Ditto! The most important band from Poland!

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:07
Also:

Focus
Omega (the Hungarian legend)

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:07
And how 'bout Miles Davis?

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:11
^ Thumbs Up  Was just about to suggest him myself.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:11

same here, man!!

exactly!! LOL

I do think it was a nice first attempt.  But agree, there were 3 glaring omissions.

Hawkwind, Marillion, and Opeth.  3 bands to add, 2 bands that could easily come off. Camel and Colosseum.

It is meant to be fun, not an intellectual exercise, so we will expand it past 32 and add some more that IMO fell just outside the top 32 and likely only seed the very top and give some byes to them to keep the voting interesting early on.

Keep the suggestions coming. Remember.  There is lots of great music, great bands. Who in your opinoions were the historically important ones

that is the way I am leaning now. 

So that's it settled (f**king) Camel gone already.  Someone will have you over the coals but not me as I'm a Camel Free Zone.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:15
^ Well that's a shame. Camel is a great band. Disapprove

Don't hate me micky but I'd vote Camel ahead of ELP all day long.

This. Sorry, Michael... Embarrassed

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:18
Camel is not gone. Are you kidding!!!?  I mean to beat them fair and square, with arm twisting, threats, sex, lies, and videotape if necessary hahah

My point was if I kept it to 32, I would have had to take them off to make the more obvious omissions fit.

I am expanding it, and of course Camel will find a place, and likely in ELP's quarter of the draw LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:21
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Also:

Focus

previous (unacknowledged) comment forgiven LOL

make that 4 glaring omissions, and you were the only one to catch it. Well done sir!!!

as far as Miles Davis.  See my conversation with David. He is on the site. I don't think he fits the poll, he dwarfs mere prog rock. He is a jazz artist, whose brilliance extended to progressive rock.

-------------

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:29
This is gearing up to be a fun contest.

I'd add Death, Atheist, and maybe Voivod to a group of 64. Certainly Death was very popular and influential. In the end, we wouldn't want too much prog metal to miss out on a chance at the bracket.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:32
  • OUT:
  • Dream theater
  • Soft Machine
  • Kraftwork
  • Traffic
  • Universal Zero
  • Radiohead
  • Mars Volta
  • Colosseum
  • Kansas
  • Supertramp
and Styx (who are not on the list but suk anyway) LOL

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:33
I think the list is crap

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:35
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

I think the list is crap

Thank you for playing.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:44
Great! The trolls are out in forceWink! It is really true that you can lead a horse to water... Well, you know the rest!

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:45

I think the list is crap
I think it's just done in fun, but I have been wrong on occasions. LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:47
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

I'd add Death, Atheist, and maybe Voivod to a group of 64. Certainly Death was very popular and influential. In the end, we wouldn't want too much prog metal to miss out on a chance at the bracket.

the one we had years ago was a real hoot!

I might keep some slots open for prog metal groups over and above the few I have in.  It is an area I know very little about,  I'll shoot you over the list, if interested, and have you fill out some bands since you get the gist of the list. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:50

I think the list is crap

LOL Clap  good thing I don't take anything seriously. Not the lists, nor opinions of them.

It is supposed to be fun.  Something you still have never learned the meaning of apparantly

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Great! The trolls are out in forceWink! It is really true that you can lead a horse to water... Well, you know the rest!

Raff, the actual Native American saying is "You can lead a horse to water but you can't throw it in the river". From the inside of a Mountain Dew bottle cap. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Raff, the actual Native American saying is "You can lead a horse to water but you can't throw it in the river". From the inside of a Mountain Dew bottle cap. LOL

hahaha.  I've never heard that one.  I like that better

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:53

I might keep some slots open for prog metal groups over and above the few I have in.  It is an area I know very little about,  I'll shoot you over the list, if interested, and have you fill out some bands since you get the gist of the list. 

If you need any help, I'd be happy to. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:57

LOL

Just curious, Steve: which bands/artists would you suggest instead of the ones you'd like to be replaced? Any suggestions are more than welcome!

//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:58

Also:

Focus

make that 4 glaring omissions, and you were the only one to catch it. Well done sir!!!

as far as Miles Davis.  See my conversation with David. He is on the site. I don't think he fits the poll, he dwarfs mere prog rock. He is a jazz artist, whose brilliance extended to progressive rock.

Thanks. Tongue

And. yes, I agree with your point about Miles. But I suggested him mainly because I can see only one Fusion band on your list, Micky (Mahavishnu Orchestra). So, how 'bout some other greats like Return To Forever or Weather Report?

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:59
You could throw Diablo Swing Orchestra in there as a possible Cinderella.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:59
cool!  I'll take you up on that.  I've spent more time making good natured fun of it, and its listeners than actually listening to it and exploring it LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:02

Also:

Focus

Thanks. Tongue

And. yes, I agree with your point about Miles. But I suggested him mainly because I can see only one Fusion band on your list, Micky (Mahavishnu Orchestra). So, how 'bout some other greats like Return To Forever or Weather Report?

Obviously with only 32, quite a few got left off. A few no brainers that should have been on a serious list, many more than could have easily been on it. There should be enough room now to expand it and catch most if not all that fell outside of the first 32 we thought up.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

You could throw Diablo Swing Orchestra in there as a possible Cinderella.

Heart

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:03

Just curious, Steve: which bands/artists would you suggest instead of the ones you'd like to be replaced? Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Strawbs, Renaissance, and Oldfield from the old guard come to mind for quality, but not popularity, unfortunately. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:07
This is a hell of a project. If you and Raff have the stomach for moderating a discussion/tourney like this, this should prove to be entertaining. I don't have any suggestions for the seedings that no one hasn't already thought of (ugh. Bad sentence structure), but I'll be tuning in and offering dumb comments here and there.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:08

cool!  I'll take you up on that.  I've spent more time making good natured fun of it, and its listeners than actually listening to it and exploring it LOL

I'll flame you harder than the Camel fans if you dis Diablo!!   Angry

Wink

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

This is a hell of a project. If you and Raff have the stomach for moderating a discussion/tourney like this, this should prove to be entertaining. I don't have any suggestions for the seedings that no one hasn't already thought of (ugh. Bad sentence structure), but I'll be tuning in and offering dumb comments here and there.

funny.  I got drafted for the site here by Ivan who found me toiling away on a website that tried to objectively rank prog artists by those very nebulous qualities. Impact, influence, popularity and have them apply in relative equal parts. It was entertaining and fun.

It is of course how I plan to do the seedings. Likely top 8 only (perhaps 16) Anything past that is just flipping coins as it really drops off once you get past the really big ones.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:14

Wink

hahah. Oh you tempt me.  You are such a sweetheart, I don't think you have a bad side even a bad boy like me could get onto to. LOL

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:16

Wink
You gotta respect El Diablo.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:23

I'd take Death over Atheist, both pioneers in the same genre but Death were more influential I feel. Good call on Voivod and might as well add Cynic and the original prog metal band, Watchtower.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Wink
You gotta respect El Diablo.

we love El Diablo.  We both (I think both of us, I know me)  discovered them during a midset break at Nearfest. They were blaring something from Sing Along Songs at Nearfest and we both were floored by it.. it was like.. 'WFT is THAT. I have to have that group' LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:31

we love El Diablo.  We both (I think both of us, I know me)  discovered them during a midset break at Nearfest. They were blaring something from Sing Along Songs at Nearfest and we both were floored by it.. it was like.. 'WFT is THAT. I have to have that group' LOL

I discovered them exactly the same way, I think it was the '10 edition.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:40
Sigur Rós!

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:59
Didn't know the most popular RPI band was PFM, I know very little from them, I thought the most influential was Banco (I know very litlle from them too.) I know that Le Orme (my favourite RPI band so far) obviously don't deserve to be in this list.

I don't see Moody Blues nor Procol Harum in there too, I think it's because they were not so influential and popular isn't it? The same applies to Vangelis unfortunately.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Didn't know the most popular RPI band was PFM, I know very little from them, I thought the most influential was Banco (I know very litlle from them too.) I know that Le Orme (my favourite RPI band so far) obviously don't deserve to be in this list.

I don't see Moody Blues nor Procol Harum in there too, I think it's because they were not so influential and popular isn't it? The same applies to Vangelis unfortunately.

It's all highly debatable of course, this isn't a completely serious attempt to rank them, just using some inclinations I have regarding overall impact, influence and popularity (past and/or current) to get some attempt at a list of greatest prog rock artists.

I think Raff would agree (she does) that PFM were the most popular of the groups at that time in Italy and obviously (to me at least) have the greatest lasting impact.  The show at Nearfest 2009 of the NEW material might have been the singularly most enchanting musical performance I've ever seen. I think it was for many. Wow.

Anyhow. As far as the Moodies and Procal Harum, again casualties of the original tight cut line and the need to cover as wide a base as possible. In my mind one couldn't be there without the other. There were a lot of omissions due to lack of space and competition with other bands for that space. The new list has all the important ones as far as I can tell.  All the suggestions were combed through. Some taken, some not.  I'll be sitting on the list and making any changes as any other suggestions come in.  

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 16:21

I kept 6 slots open for you.  If you really feel that is too many let me know. Opeth and DT are already counted in.  PM them to me and I'll put them in.  No hurry. I'm not finalizing this until next Sunday when I unveil the selections, seeding and brackets during the P.A.'s Tournament Selection Show proudly sponsored by Rogaine.

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 16:29

I kept 6 slots open for you.  If you really feel that is too many let me know. Opeth and DT are already counted in.  PM them to me and I'll put them in.  No hurry. I'm not finalizing this until next Sunday when I unveil the selections, seeding and brackets during the P.A.'s Tournament Selection Show proudly sponsored by Rogaine.

It shouldn't take me too long to finalize some choices, but I'll be sure to give plenty of time and thought to them.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk