Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100954
Printed Date: May 03 2024 at 09:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Best of the 21st Century So Far
Posted By: Raff
Subject: The Best of the 21st Century So Far
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:50
First of all, I apologize if there is already a thread about the same topic. I tried to run a search - to no avail.

As the past 15 years have seen a resurgence of progressive rock (and progressive music in general), I am curious to know which albums PA members consider as milestones of this particular period, in any of the subgenres listed here. Personally, I have a few ideas, but I will have to think it over a bit, as there has been so much great music released since the beginning of the century that is often hard to choose.

Replies:
Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:22
The more I think of it the more I consider this to be a very difficult question. Prog has become so fractured and diverse in the last 20-25 years, and with the retro side of it so damn strong, that it's almost impossible to pick albums out that have been massively influentel and helped to drive the genre forward. The impression I have is that on the whole it tends to creep forward by taking bits and pieces from all over and adding to whats all ready there, slowly changing piece by piece without really having one album, or selection of albums, that can be identified as a game changer. Metal would be one of the few areas I could point to some such albums though:

Isis- Oceanic: Probably where the Post Metal genre fully formed alongisde Cult of Luna's Salvation and Pelican's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beccon the Thaw
Between the Buried and Me- Alaska: One of the first attempts to mix Metalcore and Prog and by far the most successful of the early attempts.
Weakling- Dead as Dreams: The first album in the Atmospheric Black Metal genre, fairly obscure but directly resonsible for bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Negura Bunget, Drudkh, Alcest, Fen, Thy Catafalque, Altar of Plagues etc
Enslaved- Isa: The other side of the Black Metal coin for prog.

Of course if your looking for what I would consider to be the absolute best albums of the last 15 years then thats a different list.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

First of all, I apologize if there is already a thread about the same topic. I tried to run a search - to no avail.

As the past 15 years have seen a resurgence of progressive rock (and progressive music in general), I am curious to know which albums PA members consider as milestones of this particular period, in any of the subgenres listed here. Personally, I have a few ideas, but I will have to think it over a bit, as there has been so much great music released since the beginning of the century that is often hard to choose.

All the sub-genres listed on PA are currently litmus tests for the Prog credentials of artist submissions received from the site members. This may or may not be consistent with the future aims of the site. For me, credible Prog ceased circa 1979-80 so I'm intrigued that like many other PA members, you appear to believe without demur that progressive rock and progressive music in general continues to be reflected in the roster of artists admitted to our archive from 2000 onwards. If this is so, would it not suggest that PA is no longer a Prog Rock archive but is really a progressive music appreciation site?

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 08:26
^It seems that PA's been a progressive music appreciation site for many a moon, Ian.

However, I don't feel that that position dilutes PA. In fact, that makes the site accessible to a broader range of people that don't have an appreciation site for a bands like Gojira and the like. 

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

All the sub-genres listed on PA are currently litmus tests for the Prog credentials of artist submissions received from the site members. This may or may not be consistent with the future aims of the site. For me, credible Prog ceased circa 1979-80 so I'm intrigued that like many other PA members, you appear to believe without demur that progressive rock and progressive music in general continues to be reflected in the roster of artists admitted to our archive from 2000 onwards. If this is so, would it not suggest that PA is no longer a Prog Rock archive but is really a progressive music appreciation site?

More like a splitting hairs site.Ermm

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:56
Interpreting "milestones" as simply "really awesome albums", I think this should be a fairly uncontroversial topic.  Maybe best to set aside the questions of which albums pushed music forward the most, and whether or not those albums should be on PA.

I'll get back to ya on this.  Food for thought.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:42
Yeah, going with "really awesome albums from 2000 onwards", I'll say these with 5 star masterpieces in bold and the rest a good 4.5 from me:

Symphony X- V: The New Mythology Suite, Iconoclast
Transatlantic- SMPTe
IQ- The Seventh House, The Road of Bones
Madder Mortem- All Flesh is Grass, Deadlands
maudlin of the Well- Bath, Leaving Your Body Map, Part the Second
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element, 12:5, Remedy Lane, BE
Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape, In Somniphobia
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
In the Woods....- Liveatthecaledonianhall
Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downward, Coyote, Hubardo, Coffins on Io
The Mars Volta- De Loused in the Commatorium, Amputechture, The Bedlam in Goliath
Muse- Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations
Nemo- Presages, Si Partie I, Si Partie II
Virgin Black- Elegant... and Dying, Requiem Mezzo Forte
Cult of Luna- Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
Disillusion- Back to Times of Splendor, Gloria
Enslaved- Isa, Ruun
Far Corner- s/t
The Gathering- Sleepy Buildings
Guapo- Five Suns, Black Oni
Isis- Wavering Radient
Marillion- Marbles
Paatos- Timeloss
Peccatum- Lost in Reverie
Virus- Carheart
White Willow- Storm Season, Terminal Twilight
Indukti- SUSAR
Ram-Zet- Intra
Sieges Even- The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells, Microcosmos
Ellipsis- Imperial Tzadik
Hiromi- Spiral
Gijira- From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh
NeBeLNeST- Zepto
OOIOO- Taiga
Protst the Hero- Kezia
Sikth- Death of a Dead Day
Unexpect- In a Flesh Aquarium, Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Between the Buried and Me- Colors, The Great Misdirect, The Parrallaz II: Future Sequence
Canvas Solaris- Cortical Tectonics, The Atomized Dream
Deathspell Omega- Fas--Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum; Paracletus
Epica- The Divine Conspiracy
The Pax Cecilia- Blessed are the Bonds
Riverside- Rapid Eye Movement, Anno Domine High Definition
Yakuza- Transmutations, Of Seismic Consequence
Birds and Buildings- Bantom to Bohemoth
Burst- Lazarus Bird
Cynic- Traced in Air
Dark Suns- Grave Human Genuine
Intronaut- Prehistoricisms, Valley of Smoke
Saena- s/t
Sculptured- Embodiment
To-Mera- Delusions, Exile
Delue Grander- The Form of the Good
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delerious
Fen- The Malediction Field, Epoch, Dustwalker
Giant Squid- The Icthyologist
Karnivool- Sound Awake
Mastodon- Crack the Skye
Thy Catafalque- Roka Hasa Radio
Wobbler- Afterglow
Ihsahn- After
In Lingua Mortua- Sona des Refuses
Rolo Tomassi- Cosmology
Universe Zero- Clivages
hAND- Breathing
Leprous- Bilateral
Sub Rosa- No Help for the Mighty Ones
Tartar Lamb II- Polyimage of Known Exits
Frequency Drift- ...Laid to Rest, Over
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Vaura- Selenelion

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:44
Milestones eh? 

I'd say you could make an argument for most of these:

Ulver - Perdition City
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
NIL - Nil Novo Sub Sole
Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye (Not too fond of it myself, but I hear it's innovative powers quite clearly)
Vespero - By The Waters Of Tomorrow
The Gourishankar - 2nd Hands
ZU - Carboniferous
Cabezas de Cera - Metalmusica - Aleaciones Aleatorias
Grails - Burning Off Impurities
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden - Structure et Force
Thinking Plague - A History Of Madness
Polytoxicomane Philharmonie - Psycho Erectus
Godspeed - Pimp Your Jimmy Mits
Guapo - 5 Suns
Swans - The Seer
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium
Don Caballero - American Don
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book M
Dungen - 4
Bark Psychosis - Dustsucker
Russian Circles - Enter

Some I chose because they were part of establishing an entirely new scene/sound such as Godspeed and Bark Psychosis - the latter credited for having one of the first post rock albums under it's belt in 'Hex', but it is with Codename: Dustsucker they perfected the sound. Others because they revitalised a scene by bringing in entirely new and fresh approaches to the mix. Here I'm thinking of Kayo Dot and The Gourishankar in particularly. 
Dungen? Hmmmm yeah.....erm.... They're just so damn awesomeEmbarrassed Nobody sounds like them, not really. Tame Impala overtly copied the style but they lack the ferociousness of the Swedes...and then obviously that unique summer morning feel there is to everything they touch.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:01
Oh my Frish, milestones .. 

I wanted to say Viljans Öga, which certainly was a milestone for me. I list it under contemporary classical, not really prog, so it's a "contemporary classical/symphonic milestone of the 21st century". 

I was very much impressed by Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra, but I don't even know if they are listed on PA. Probably not. To me, they are a milestone development of the 'progressive big band' style. 

I was also very pleased with the way Jaga Jazzist have evolved in the past several years. In their personal evolution, their latest with Britten Sinfonia is a milestone. 

My greatest personal discovery was Impossible Ark, which is not a band, but rather a collective of London-based musicians of different backgrounds, with Riaan Vosloo and Benedict Lamden at their center of gravity

Nil Recurring is everything I need from Ms. Wilson; in this sense it's a milestone, of sorts? 

Hiromi Uehara and Jeremy Pelt have come up with what I consider milestone "fusion" of the 21st century. 

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^It seems that PA's been a progressive music appreciation site for many a moon, Ian.

However, I don't feel that that position dilutes PA. In fact, that makes the site accessible to a broader range of people that don't have an appreciation site for a bands like Gojira and the like. 

OK, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either but I just wish that the site would 'come clean' and admit as much i.e. change the name to avoid confusion and end the hypocrisy of continuing to expect the genre teams to implement an admissions policy designed solely to establish an artist's Prog quotient. It's hardly 'splitting hairs' to expect the contents to be consistent with what's written on the tin is it? We both know that this is never gonna happen because once PA acknowledges itself as a progressive music appreciation site (c/f Prog Rock archive), the infrastructure will simply collapse under the deluge of strays clamoring at our flimsy catflap...

(Think I over cooked the feline metaphors there a tad...Wink)

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:10
^ClapClap Clappies to you, Sir!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:11
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

OK, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either but I just wish that the site would 'come clean' and admit as much i.e. change the name to avoid confusion and end the hypocrisy of continuing to expect the genre teams to implement an admissions policy designed solely to establish an artist's Prog quotient. It's hardly 'splitting hairs' to expect the contents to be consistent with what's written on the tin is it? We both know that this is never gonna happen because once PA acknowledges itself as a progressive music appreciation site (c/f Prog Rock archive), the infrastructure will simply collapse under the deluge of strays clamoring at our flimsy catflap...

(Think I over cooked the feline metaphors there a tad...Wink)

Or that there's plenty of people that just disagree with you and see no point in such a pointless change.

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:12
^That's vintage Ian, Sleeper! LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 18:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Interpreting "milestones" as simply "really awesome albums", I think this should be a fairly uncontroversial topic.  Maybe best to set aside the questions of which albums pushed music forward the most, and whether or not those albums should be on PA.

Thank you, Steve, for expressing in clearer words what I probably botched. This will teach me to post threads just before I have to leave for work, without thinking over every single word to avoid being misunderstood.

Indeed, what I meant was "really awesome albums", and my main purpose in asking this was to encourage people (myself included) to explore the great music produced in the first 14 years of this century. My reference to PA subgenres was merely instrumental, though I see I should have specified that being included in the database was not necessary.

In any case, I never intended this thread to turn into a discussion on the direction PA should take. When I decided to come back to the forums a few months ago, after a four-year absence, it was not in order to try to change the way this site works. My one and only purpose is to spread the word about new music worth listening to, not to question whether prog still exists, or whatever other quasi-philosophical issue some people want to talk about.

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah, going with "really awesome albums from 2000 onwards", I'll say these with 5 star masterpieces in bold and the rest a good 4.5 from me:

Symphony X- V: The New Mythology Suite, Iconoclast
Transatlantic- SMPTe
IQ- The Seventh House, The Road of Bones
Madder Mortem- All Flesh is Grass, Deadlands
maudlin of the Well- Bath, Leaving Your Body Map, Part the Second
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element, 12:5, Remedy Lane, BE
Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape, In Somniphobia
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
In the Woods....- Liveatthecaledonianhall
Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downward, Coyote, Hubardo, Coffins on Io
The Mars Volta- De Loused in the Commatorium, Amputechture, The Bedlam in Goliath
Muse- Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations
Nemo- Presages, Si Partie I, Si Partie II
Virgin Black- Elegant... and Dying, Requiem Mezzo Forte
Cult of Luna- Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
Disillusion- Back to Times of Splendor, Gloria
Enslaved- Isa, Ruun
Far Corner- s/t
The Gathering- Sleepy Buildings
Guapo- Five Suns, Black Oni
Isis- Wavering Radient
Marillion- Marbles
Paatos- Timeloss
Peccatum- Lost in Reverie
Virus- Carheart
White Willow- Storm Season, Terminal Twilight
Indukti- SUSAR
Ram-Zet- Intra
Sieges Even- The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells, Microcosmos
Ellipsis- Imperial Tzadik
Hiromi- Spiral
Gijira- From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh
NeBeLNeST- Zepto
OOIOO- Taiga
Protst the Hero- Kezia
Sikth- Death of a Dead Day
Unexpect- In a Flesh Aquarium, Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Between the Buried and Me- Colors, The Great Misdirect, The Parrallaz II: Future Sequence
Canvas Solaris- Cortical Tectonics, The Atomized Dream
Deathspell Omega- Fas--Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum; Paracletus
Epica- The Divine Conspiracy
The Pax Cecilia- Blessed are the Bonds
Riverside- Rapid Eye Movement, Anno Domine High Definition
Yakuza- Transmutations, Of Seismic Consequence
Birds and Buildings- Bantom to Bohemoth
Burst- Lazarus Bird
Cynic- Traced in Air
Dark Suns- Grave Human Genuine
Intronaut- Prehistoricisms, Valley of Smoke
Saena- s/t
Sculptured- Embodiment
To-Mera- Delusions, Exile
Delue Grander- The Form of the Good
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delerious
Fen- The Malediction Field, Epoch, Dustwalker
Giant Squid- The Icthyologist
Karnivool- Sound Awake
Mastodon- Crack the Skye
Thy Catafalque- Roka Hasa Radio
Wobbler- Afterglow
Ihsahn- After
In Lingua Mortua- Sona des Refuses
Rolo Tomassi- Cosmology
Universe Zero- Clivages
hAND- Breathing
Leprous- Bilateral
Sub Rosa- No Help for the Mighty Ones
Tartar Lamb II- Polyimage of Known Exits
Frequency Drift- ...Laid to Rest, Over
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Vaura- Selenelion

Sleeper, you need to stop holding back, man. LOL

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:26
^You should see how many albums I skipped over!

Thank you, Steve, for expressing in clearer words what I probably botched. This will teach me to post threads just before I have to leave for work, without thinking over every single word to avoid being misunderstood.

Indeed, what I meant was "really awesome albums", and my main purpose in asking this was to encourage people (myself included) to explore the great music produced in the first 14 years of this century. My reference to PA subgenres was merely instrumental, though I see I should have specified that being included in the database was not necessary.

In any case, I never intended this thread to turn into a discussion on the direction PA should take. When I decided to come back to the forums a few months ago, after a four-year absence, it was not in order to try to change the way this site works. My one and only purpose is to spread the word about new music worth listening to, not to question whether prog still exists, or whatever other quasi-philosophical issue some people want to talk about.

Probably my fault for taking the word milestones too literally, and for some reason Ian seems to have been pushing the same point in every thread recently, as if the "prog vs progressive" debate hadn't been flogged to death already.

Anyway, I hope you can find something of interest from my list.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:46
Electric Masada - Mountains Of Madness - radically different, noisy, jazz-metal, shocking
Magma - K.A. - Reemergence of one of the greats
Nik Bartsch Ronin - Holon - Minimalism is a rock environment, landmark
Thinking Plague - A History Of Madness - one of the two TP albums that announce TP as a force on the Avant scene
Ske - 1000 Autunni - Yugen keysman blend a beautiful mix of avant, symph, jazz & retro, stage setting for new experimentation
Aranis - Songs From Mirage - Chamber Rock without drums, stretching the pallet back to area previous covered by the likes of Julverne
Present - Barbaro - Definitive in the way to release a CD/DVD, stunning
Guapo - 5 Suns - one of the best representative of the new young wave of Zeuhl bands carving out their own territory
Cheer-Accident - Fear Draws Misfortune - Post-Punk Pop Prog - multifaceted, ever changing, echoes of Cardiacs, another band stretching definitions
Vezhlivy Otkaz - Gusi-Lebedi - Russian Folk Avant classic one of the great Eastern European bands opened up to new audiences by AltrOck distribution.
Miriodor - Avanti! - One of the best of the Avant instrumental bands, a personal favorite as it introduced me to modern avant along with C-A
Koenjiyakkei - Angherr Shisspa - One of the modern wave of Japanese dark heavy edgy Avant bands
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History - Unlike anyone else, single-handedly created Metal In Opposition
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book M - blending Metal, Folk & Middle Eastern vibes
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Singalong Songs Of The Damned & Delirious - Swing Metal with an Operatic vocalist - bizarre but it works.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:18
I see we have two of the same listed IanCool
5 Suns and Book M. Consider this two official recommendations people! They're absolutely indispensable. 

EDIT: Make that three with A History of Madness!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:01

I certainly didn't mean to derail the thread Raff but your OP simply triggered a few thoughts and it snowballed from there. Apologies if any perceived offence was taken.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:03
Hmmm... I don't know from milestones (because the time for prog milestones was over 40 years ago), but offhand I would say I think these were important and great, and don't look silly sitting forlornly by themselves away from the rest of my record collection:

Tool - Lateralus
The Decemberists - Hazards of Love
Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Big, Big Train - English Electric, Part One
Sigur Rós - Takk

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 02:12
I'm just going to list my 10 favourite albums post 2000

IQ - Frequency 
Muse - Absolution
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Tangerine Dream - Purgatorio
Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret
Kate Bush - Aerial
Par Lindh Project - Veni Vidi Vici
Neal Morse - One
Anathema - Weather Systems
Steve Wilson - Grace Before Drowning

includes some well trodden sub genres but I think those albums do make a statement. For instance the unusual medieval music on disc two The Inconsolable Secret and the nice use of female classical/opera singers on TD's Purgatorio really hit me. Par Lindh also crafted a very original modern symph prog classic that bares no resemblance to ELP or Yes.  Kate Bush returned with a typical quirky mix of songs but little that was just a retread. New bands like Muse and Anathema have freshened things up and I've picked my favourite albums by them. Morse blew off the cobwebs from religious music completely. Lastly IQ got the one thing they always lacked - a truly awesome drummer in Andy Edwards. Province Of The King is truly scary in all the best ways. No plodding here.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 03:12
1. Echolyn - Echolyn
2. Part the Second - Maudlin of the Well
3. English Electric (Part One) - Big Big Train
4. Heliotians - Deluge Grander
5. K.A. - Magma
6. Blemmebeya - Akt
7. In Extremis - Days between Stations
8. A Time of Day - Anekdoten
9. Sola Scriptura - Neal Morse
X. To Shatter All Accord - Discipline

Others worth a place in this list:
Gravity - Anekdoten
In a Cold Embrace - Battlestations
You Have a Chance - Camelias Garden
August in the Urals - Deluge Grander
Second Sound - Druckfarben
Mei - Echolyn
Brighter Skies - FreddeGredde
Safe in Conformity - Hamadryad
Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree

(to be cont'd)

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 03:32
I may forget a few that were right on the turn of the century, but these are the ones that really hit me the hardest.

Exivious
Pain of Salvation - Be
Bondage Fruit VI
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium
Virus - Carheart
Mirthkon - Vehicle
Panzerballet - Star Stücke
Koenjihyakkei - Angher Shispa
Animals as Leaders
Pochakaite Malko - Laya
Canvas Solaris - Penumbra Diffuse
Haken - Mountain

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 07:53
Hi,

Someone will have to explain to me how a comparison of 30 years of music to a different 15 years of music, is a valid comparison, and supposedly to make a distinction that one is better than the other!

I'm OK with looking for and findind trends, but the comparison is silly and nothing but a beatov for folks with nothing better to do?

While I appreciate new fans and all that, and the site succeeds in that area, it is stuff like this that makes the whole of the work get thrown under the carpet ... how will a silly comparison like that EVER help elevate the work of many artists over 50 years? No wonder so many folks in academia think that progressive is sh*t ... you don't think any better of it?

Yeah ... we all better go back to diaper days ... it's all crap and some of the fans are worse!

Tongue

Angry

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 08:22
Who crapped in your pint? It's just a bit of fun to look at great albums in the last 15 years. Nothing more significant than that.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 09:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Who crapped in your pint? It's just a bit of fun to look at great albums in the last 15 years. Nothing more significant than that.

No, I believe Mosh prefers flitting from table to table, crapping in other people's pints. Which I guess is the  classic definition of "party pooper". Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Someone will have to explain to me how a comparison of 30 years of music to a different 15 years of music, is a valid comparison, and supposedly to make a distinction that one is better than the other!

First of all, I apologize if there is already a thread about the same topic. I tried to run a 

search - to no avail. 

As the past 15 years have seen a resurgence of progressive rock (and progressive music in general), I am 

curious to know which albums PA members consider as milestones of this particular period, in any of the 

subgenres listed here. Personally, I have a few ideas, but I will have to think it over a bit, as there has 

been so much great music released since the beginning of the century that is often hard to choose.

Confused

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:38
Here's a really crowded top 15 of sorts:

Guapo- Five Suns (Black Oni, Elixirs)
2 Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Horizons (Book M - and everything else)
3 Vektor - Black Future (Outer Isolation) 
4 Non Credo - Impropera
5 Kayo Dot- Blue Lambency Downward (Coffins on Io, Choirs of the Eye)
6 Radiohead Kid A (Amnesiac)
7 Woven Hand - Mosaic (Consider the Birds, Blush Music)
8 Jono El Grande - Neo Dada (Phantom Stimulance)
9 Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo (Walk The Nile)
10 Umberto - From the Grave (Prophesy of the Black Widow)
11 Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯A♯∞ (Yanqui U.X.O.)
12 Dungen - 4
13 Aranis - II
14 The Styrenes - In C
15 Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung! - Tub Gurnard Goodness 

Honorable mention to 65Daysofstatic, Sinoia Caves, Zombi, Boredoms, Matt Berry, Kosmischer Läufer...

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:38
Classic Moshkito, out to ruin everybody elses fun by complaining about something that doesnt exist

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:49
To elaborate a bit on that Mosh: would you be kind enough to read the original post before you go off on a tangent?
Raff was trying to shed some light on the past 15 years of music - trying to get people excited about the new stuff - giving the new kids on the block a chance to be recognised. That is, at least, what I get from the opening post. Has nothing to do about comparing one era of music to another one and finding out which is the bestWacko That's nonsense. It's about appreciating new music.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 14:44
I always wanted to make a poll of Moshkito's most bizarre posts...

This one might be in the top 5.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 15:19
As I am a lady, and quite tired after a day at work, I will refrain from reacting the way I would really like to. Next time someone calls me crap and tells me to go back to diaper days, I am going to tell them what I truly think of them. For crying out loud....Every little bit of innocent fun (which, in this particular case, is a way to give some bands and artists the exposure they deserve) has to become the subject of a rant for some peopleConfused.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:09
It is best to ignore the child throwing a tantrum on the supermarket floor. Drawing more attention to it feeds the beast. Sooner or later they grow tired and cry themselves out. 

It's a good subject that is worthy of discussion. The site and forum are here for sharing. So thank you.

-------------

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm OK with looking for and findind trends, but the comparison is silly and nothing but a beatov for folks with nothing better to do?

While I appreciate new fans and all that, and the site succeeds in that area, it is stuff like this that makes the whole of the work get thrown under the carpet ... how will a silly comparison like that EVER help elevate the work of many artists over 50 years? No wonder so many folks in academia think that progressive is sh*t ... you don't think any better of it?

Yeah ... we all better go back to diaper days ... it's all crap and some of the fans are worse!

Tongue

Angry

Ok, normally, I let this stuff slide, my mantra is that it's typically easier to simply not say anything.  Every once in a while though, I feel the irrational need to chime in.  This is one of those cases.

Did you read the initial post or just skip right here to complain.  I'm fairly certain that the original post asked for great albums of this century, not your opinion on how modern music sucks and will never hold a candle to the revered oldies. 

Is it really that much to ask that you be respectful of other people's opinions rather than dismissing them as crap?  Is your opinion really the only valid one?  Even worse, if I read your post correctly, then all fans of new music are worse than crap?  That's what it sounds like.

As I said, normally I don't say anything, but I'm grandstanding here for a purpose.  When a revered member of the site comes back after a long hiatus (Yep, talking about you here Raff), someone that has contributed a ton of time and effort to this site, I'm not going to stand by idly and let you demoralize her or any of the other members here that enjoy modern music.

I don't think it's too much to ask to be respectful of other people's opinion.  There is no reason to be insulting as every opinion is as valid as yours. 

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:25
The goal of hijacking the thread has already been accomplished.  Can we just re-engage in the original subject?

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2015 at 01:55
That's one of Moshkito's funnier posts to be fair. None of us are worthy , we just do not understand music at all. Actually I don't care if I understand music at all in the least . I just like to enjoy music and talk about it. I just hope 'it' is not offended by my ignoranceSmile

Posted By: Altairius
Date Posted: January 15 2015 at 03:15
Order isn't too particular:

SMPTe - Transatlantic
Unfold the Future - The Flower Kings
One - Neal Morse
V - Spock's Beard
Frequency - IQ
The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) - Steven Wilson
Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
Shadowlands - Glass Hammer
The Shaming of the True - Kevin Gilbert
Echolyn - Echolyn
The Power to Believe - King Crimson
To Watch the Storms - Steve Hackett
Selective Memory - Témpano
Milliontown - Frost*
Sleeping in Traffic Pt. 1 - Beardfish
The Underfall Yard - Big Big Train
Clivages - Univers Zéro
A Child in the Mirror - Ciccada
Kublai - Accordo Dei Contrari
Last Epic - A.C.T
The Water Road - Thieves' Kitchen
Return to the Origin - Gert Emmens & Ruud Heij
Unrecorded Beam - Billy Bottle and the Multiple

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: January 15 2015 at 08:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That's one of Moshkito's funnier posts to be fair. None of us are worthy , we just do not understand music at all. Actually I don't care if I understand music at all in the least . I just like to enjoy music and talk about it. I just hope 'it' is not offended by my ignoranceSmile

Yeah , and isn't it even more interesting when it happens to like to enjoy music that you didn't like before? Smile

About the thread, I'm still willing to check out the bands suggested by Raff in the site http://www.altrock.it" rel="nofollow - http://www.altrock.it (http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96334&KW=ARANIS&PN=7), btw every new day the time for me badly seems to get even shorter, it's sort of damn annoying always having a 'poor' Internet and now having to cope with almost 10 days without it ShockedCry. Now I'm searching for a professional and liable internet provider - unfortunately this is still a common reality in my country...

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: January 15 2015 at 10:14
Alamaailman Vasarat - Valta
Guapo - History Of The Visitation
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book Of Horizons
Battles - Mirrored
Giraffes?Giraffes! - More Skin With Milk-Mouth
Magyar Posse - Random Avenger
Tortoise - Standards
Chrome Hoof - Pre-Emptive False Rapture
Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
Zombi - Spirit Animal
Labirinto di Specchi - Hanblecheya
Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Pelican - City Of Echoes
Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium
Tool - Lateralus

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 15 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Tortoise - Standards
Forgot about that one. Might actually be my Tortoise-favorite s well.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 15 2015 at 10:53
Seneca is one of the best Tortoise tracks out there. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 01:49
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

Order isn't too particular:

SMPTe - Transatlantic
Unfold the Future - The Flower Kings
One - Neal Morse
V - Spock's Beard
Frequency - IQ
The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) - Steven Wilson
Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
Shadowlands - Glass Hammer
The Shaming of the True - Kevin Gilbert
Echolyn - Echolyn
The Power to Believe - King Crimson
To Watch the Storms - Steve Hackett
Selective Memory - Témpano
Milliontown - Frost*
Sleeping in Traffic Pt. 1 - Beardfish
The Underfall Yard - Big Big Train
Clivages - Univers Zéro
A Child in the Mirror - Ciccada
Kublai - Accordo Dei Contrari
Last Epic - A.C.T
The Water Road - Thieves' Kitchen
Return to the Origin - Gert Emmens & Ruud Heij
Unrecorded Beam - Billy Bottle and the Multiple

A lot of very nice selections especially the Steve Hackett , Frost* and King Crimson ones as well as ones I included on my list.  Also a lot of albums and artists I don't know especially the last half dozen. I'll check out some of those as you obviously have such good taste in musicSmile

Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 04:45
This is a really nice surprise, as I had already written off this thread after it was derailed. I see a lot of great albums mentioned, and hope more will come! Remember that the main purpose of this thread is to encourage people to explore and broaden their musical horizons. My own nominations will come some time during the weekend.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 20:28
Great idea for a thread, Raffaela! 

Albums from the 21st Century that blew me away:

Iona - Open Sky — the most amazing collaborative group I know!

Paatos - Timeloss — A voice, a guitarist, an extraordinary drummer!

Karda Estra - Eve — All this and no drums!

Björk - Vespertine — What planet did this woman come from and where can we get more like her?

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third — The layers!

Hiromi’s Soncibloom - Time Control — Fusion is alive!

Kayo Dot — Choirs of the Eye — devastating use of dynamics, bleak space and aggression. 

The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium — such raw power and controlled chaos!

UneXpect - In a Flesh Aquarium — never even knew this music was possible!

Odyssey:  The Greatest Tale — nine amazing prog epics prove: Prog is Alive!

Mediæval Bæbes - Mirabilis — the Middle Ages never had it so good!

Faun - Renaissance —‘Pagan Folk’ rocks!

Kotebel - Omphalos — operatic voices with tight virtuosic jazz rock.

Ulver - Shadows of the Sun — An epitaph for the human predicament!

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet — lyrics present a snapshot of modern techno society.

Ga’an - Ga’anAmerican Zeuhl (!) fresh and GORGEOUS!

Proghma-D - Bar-do Travel — didn’t know Tool and Eno could be blended!

maudlin of the Well - Part the Second — Like nothing I’d ever heard before.

Brother Ape - A Rare Moment of Insight — Joy in progressive rock music?!!

Anathema - Falling Deeper — orchestrated Anathema is the best Anathema!

The Amazing - Gentle Stream — the warmest music of the 21st Cent.

Votum - Harvest Moon — didn’t know there could be this diversity in metal. Poland’s best!

Swans - The Seer — such raw visceral emotion!

Five-Storey Ensemble - Not That City — Classical chamber neo-folk!

The Gabriel Construct -  Interior City — an exciting young voice in progressive music.

Seven Impale - City of the Sun — VDGG/Hammill/Discipline/Parmenter done better!

Syd Arthur - Sound Mirror — Canterbury is back and better than ever!

Electric Orange — Volume 10 Krautrock is back and better than ever!

Pingvinorkestern - Push — finally another group from Björk’s planet!

Antoine Fafard - Ad Perpetuum — the newest “best fusion” album I’ve ever heard.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 20:59
Well, here's what I got only the stuff that was made and/or released since 2000 -
Beck, Jeff    You Had It Coming    2000
Bruford Levin Upper Extremities    Blue Nights    2000
Budd, Harold    Room, The    2000
Claypool, Les Frog Brigade    Live Frogs - Set 1    2000
Code Talkers, The with Col. Bruce Hampton    Bootleg Live    2000
Djam Karet    New Dark Age    2000
Dunmall, Paul Octet    Great Divide    2000
Enya    A Day Without Rain    2000
Explosions In The Sky    How Strange, Innocence    2000
Explosions In The Sky    Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever    2000
Fayman (Jeffery) & Fripp (Robert)    a temple in the clouds    2000
Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    Outbound    2000
Fleck, Bela & The Flecktones    Live At The Quick    2000
Frith, Fred    clearing    2000
Gabriel, Peter    OVO:The Millenium Show    2000
Gunn, Trey Band, The    Joy of Molebdenum, The    2000
High Llamas, The    Buzzle Bee    2000
Husband, Gary    Things I See, The    2000
Incredible Expanding Mindf**k    Arcadia Son    2000
Jackson, Joe    Night and Day II    2000
Jarre, Jean Michel    Metmorphoses    2000
Jarre, Jean Michel    Sessions 2000    2000
Kansas    Somewhere to Elsewhere    2000
King Crimson    ConstruKtion of Light, The    2000
Levin, Tony    Waters of Eden    2000
Mitchell, Joni    Both Sides Now    2000
Porcupine Tree    Lightbulb Sun    2000
Radiohead    Kid A    2000
Rypdal, Terje    Lux Aeterna    2000
Steeley Dan    Two Against Nature    2000
Stereolab    First of the Microbe Hunters, The    2000
Synergy    Barcodes    2000
Towner, Ralph    Anthem    2000
van't Hof, Jasper, Charlie Mariano, Steve Swallow    Brutto Tempo    2000
Walsh, Steve    Glossolalia    2000
XTC    Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2)    2000
Ackerman, Will    Hearing Voices    2001
Afro Celt Sound System    Volume 3 : Further In Time    2001
Amos, Tori    Strange Little Girls    2001
Anderson, Laurie    Life On A String    2001
Anderson, Laurie    Live at Town Hall New York City September 19-20 2001    2001
Bears, The    Car Caught Fire    2001
Big Big Train    Bard    2001
Buckethead    Funnel Weaver    2001
Djam Karet    Ascension    2001
Eno, Brian & J. Peter Schwalm    Drawn From Life    2001
Europa String Choir    Marching Ants    2001
Fleck, Bela    Perpetual Motion    2001
Frith, Fred    Digital Wildlife    2001
Garbarek, Anja    Smiling And Waving    2001
Henry Fool    Henry Fool    2001
Jones, John Paul    Thunderthief    2001
Marillion    anoraknophobia    2001
Metheny. Pat    One Quiet Night    2001
Muffins, The    Bandwidth    2001
Nine Inch Nails    And All That Could Have Been    2001
no-man    returning jesus    2001
Oldfield, Sally    Flaming Star    2001
Oysterhead    Grand Pecking Order, The    2001
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Life Enigma    2001
Porcupine Tree    Warszawa    2001
Praxis    Warszawa    2001
Prince    Rainbow Children, The    2001
Radiohead    Amnesiac    2001
Rhodes, Happy    Find Me    2001
Stereolab    Sound-Dust    2001
Stereolab    ABC Music    2001
Sting    …All This Time    2001
Vangelis    Mythodea    2001
Yes    Magnification    2001
Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk    2002
Bowie, David    Heathen    2002
Buckethead    Bermuda Triangle    2002
Buckethead    Electric Tears    2002
Claypool, Les Frog Brigade, The    Purple Onion    2002
Codetalkers, The    Codetalkers, The    2002
Coryell, Larry    Tricycles    2002
Coryell, Larry, John Abercrombie, Badi Assad    Three Guitars    2002
Djam Karet    No Commercial Potential    2002
Gabriel, Peter    Long Walk Home Music From The Rabbit-Proof Fence    2002
Gabriel, Peter    Up    2002
Glass, Philip    Naqoyqatsi    2002
Gong, Pierre Moerlen's    Pentanine    2002
Hackett, Steve    Darktown    2002
Holdsworth, Allan    All Night Wrong    2002
King Crimson    happy with what you have to be happy with    2002
Levin, Tony    pieces of the sun    2002
Maserati    Language of Cities, The    2002
Medeski Martin and Wood    Uninvisible    2002
Metheny, Pat Group    Speaking Of Now    2002
Nektar    Prodigal Son, The    2002
O'Connor, Sinead    Sean-Nos Nua    2002
Oregon    Live at Yoshi's    2002
Pere Ubu    St Arkansas    2002
Pineapple Thief, The    Variations On A Dream    2002
Porcupine Tree    in absentia    2002
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Live in Japan 2002    2002
Residents, The    Demons Dance Alone Limited Edition    2002
Roach, Steve    Darkest Before Dawn    2002
Santana    Shaman    2002
Synergy    Reconstructed Artifacts    2002
Triggering Myth, A    Forgiving Eden    2002
Umphrey's McGee    Local Band Does O.K.    2002
Wakeman, Rick    Songs Of Middle Earth (The Seven Wonders of the World/Heritage Suite excerpts)    2002
Yes    Keystudio    2002
Afrocelts    Seed    2003
Amos, Tori    Tales of a Librarian    2003
Bass Communion    Ghosts On Magnetic Tape    2003
Beck, Jeff    Jeff    2003
Blackfield    Blackfield    2003
Blue October    History For Sale    2003
Bowie, David    Reality    2003
Buckethead    Bucketheadland 2    2003
Budd, Harold    la bella vista    2003
Coryell, Larry    Power Trio, The    2003
Djam Karet    A Night For Baku    2003
Eluvium    Accidental Memory In Case of Death, An    2003
Eluvium    Lambent Material    2003
Explosions In The Sky    Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, The    2003
Fleck, Bela & The Flecktones    Little Worlds    2003
Frith, Fred    Rivers and Tides    2003
Frith, Fred/John Zorn    50th Birthday Volume 5    2003
Greenwood, Jonny    Bodysong    2003
Grey Star Morning    Heartwash Hotel    2003
Hackett, Steve    To Watch The Storms    2003
High Llamas, The    Beet, Maize & Corn    2003
High Llamas, The    retrospective, rarities & instrumentals    2003
Jackson, Joe Band    Volume 4    2003
Jethro Tull    Jethro Tull Christmas Album    2003
King Crimson    Power To Believe, The    2003
McLachlan, Sarah    Afterglow    2003
Monade    Socalism Ou Barbarie    2003
Mono    Holy Ground: NYC Live    2003
no-man    together we're stranger    2003
Oldfield, Mike    Tubular Bells 2003    2003
Porcupine Tree    Futile    2003
Primus    Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People    2003
Radiohead    Hail to the Thief    2003
Roach, Steve    Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces    2003
Steely Dan    Everything Must Go    2003
Stereolab    Instant 0 In The Universe    2003
Talisma    Corpus    2003
Univers Zero    Implosion    2003
Wyatt, Robert    Cuckooland    2003
Wyatt, Robert    Solar Flares Burn for You    2003
Amos, Tori    Welcome To Sunny Florida    2004
Amos, Tori    Beekeeper, The    2004
Belew, Adrian    side one    2004
Black Mountain    Black Mountain    2004
Buckethead    Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, The    2004
Buckethead    population override    2004
Byrne. David    Grown Backwards    2004
Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains    Big Eyeball in the Sky, The    2004
Fripp, Robert & Eno, Brian    Equatorial Stars, The    2004
Frith, Fred and Arditti String Quartet, Uwe Dierkson, William Winant    Eleventh Hour    2004
Gismonti, Egberto    Retratos    2004
Hackett, Steve & The Underworld Orchestra    Metamorpheus    2004
Happy The Man    Muse Awakens, The    2004
Manzanera, Phil    6pm    2004
Marillion    Marbles    2004
Medeski Martin and Wood    End of the World Party (just in case)    2004
Metheny, Pat Group    Way Up, The    2004
Muffins, The    Double Negative    2004
Muffins, The    Loveletter #2 "The Ra Sessions"    2004
Netkar    Evolution    2004
Ozric Tentacles    Spirals In Hyperspace    2004
Phideaux    Fiendish    2004
Phideaux    Ghost Story    2004
Praxis    Tennessee 2004    2004
Prince    Musicology    2004
Residents, The    Animal Lover    2004
Stereolab    Margerine Eclipse    2004
Stereolab    2004 Tour Single    2004
Umphrey's McGee    Anchor Drops    2004
Afro Celt Sound System    Volume 5: Anatomic    2005
Belew, Adrian    Side Two    2005
Bush, Kate    Aerial    2005
Crimson Jazz Trio    King Crimson Songbook Volume 1    2005
Djam Karet    Recollection Harvest & Indian Summer    2005
Eluvium    Talk Amongst the Trees    2005
Eno, Brian    Another Day On Earth    2005
Explosions In The Sky    Rescue, The    2005
Fripp, Robert    Love Cannot Bear    2005
Johnson, Eric    Bloom    2005
Manzanera, Phil    50 Minutes Later    2005
Monade    A Few Steps More    2005
Morse, Steve    Prime Cuts    2005
Nine Inch Nails    [With Teeth]    2005
No Sound    Sol29    2005
Oldfield, Mike    Light + Shade    2005
PainKiller    Prophecy, The    2005
Parallel Mind    Colossus Adea    2005
Phideaux    Chupacabras    2005
Porcupine Tree    Deadwing    2005
Santana    all that I am    2005
Spock's Beard    Gluttons For Punishment    2005
Stereolab    Oscillons from the Anti-Sun    2005
Talisma    Chromium    2005
zincs, the    dimmer    2005
Abercrombie, John    Third Quartet, The    2006
Anderson, Jon    Live From La La Land    2006
Belew, Adrian    Side Three    2006
Blue October    Foiled    2006
Claypool, Les    Of Whales and Woe    2006
Code Talkers, The    Now    2006
Eluvium    When I Live By the Garden and the Sea    2006
Fripp & Eno    Beyond Even (1992-2006)    2006
Guthrie, Robin/Harold Budd    Before the Day Breaks    2006
Guthrie, Robin/Harold Budd    After the Night Falls    2006
Hackett, Steve    Wild Orchids    2006
Levin, Tony    Resonator    2006
McLachlan, Sarah    Wintersong    2006
Ozric Tentacles    Floor's Too Far Away, The    2006
Phideaux    313    2006
Phideaux    the great leap    2006
Pineapple Thief, The    Little Man    2006
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione    2006
Pure Reason Revolution    Dark Third, The    2006
Residents, The    Tweedles    2006
Rypdal, Terje    Vossabrygg    2006
Simon, Paul    Surprise    2006
Stereolab    fab four suture    2006
Triggering Myth, A    Remedy of Abstraction, The    2006
Umphrey's McGee    Safety In Numbers    2006
Yorke, Thom    Eraser, The    2006
Amos, Tori    American Doll Posse    2007
Baku Llama    Eris    2007
Big Big Train    The Difference Machine    2007
Blackfield    Blackfield II    2007
Col. Bruce Hampton & The Quark Alliance    Give Thanks To Chank    2007
Explosions In The Sky    All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone    2007
Gorishankar, The    2nd Hands    2007
High Llamas    Can Cladders    2007
Jonas Hellborg    Art Metal    2007
Levin, Tony    Stick Man    2007
Marillion    Somewhere Else    2007
Maserati    Inventions for the New Season    2007
Monade    Monstre Cosmic    2007
Nine Inch Nails    Year Zero    2007
Nine Inch Nails    Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D    2007
Observatory, The    A Far Cry From Here    2007
Phideaux    Doomsday Afternoon    2007
Pineapple Thief, The    What We Have Sown    2007
Ponty, Clara    Mirror Of Truth    2007
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Acatama Experience, The    2007
Porcupine Tree    Fear of a Blank Planet    2007
Porcupine Tree    Nil Recurring    2007
Porcupine Tree    We Lost The Skyline    2007
Radiohead    In Rainbows    2007
Reasoning, The    Awakening    2007
Umphrey's McGee    Bottom Half, The    2007
Way, Darryl    Ultra Violins    2007
Wyatt, Robert    comicopera    2007
Zorn, John    Dreamers, The    2007
Alitheia    Chthonick    2008
Bass Communion    Molotov And Haze    2008
Black Mountain    In The Future    2008
Byrne, David and Brian Eno    Everything That Happens Will Happen Today    2008
Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret.    Songs of The Solar Ping    2008
Flood    Tales From The Four Seasons    2008
Marillion    Happiness Is The Road - Essence    2008
Marillion    Happiness Is The Road - The Hard Shoulder    2008
McLaughlin, John    Floating Point    2008
Nektar    Book of Days    2008
Nine Inch Nails    Ghosts    2008
Nine Inch Nails    Slip, The    2008
no-man    schoolyard ghosts    2008
Oldfield, Mike    Music Of The Spheres    2008
Pineapple Thief, The    Tightly Unwound    2008
Reasoning, The    Dark Angel    2008
Residents, The    Bunny Boy, The    2008
Stereolab    Chemical Chords    2008
Talisma    Quelque Part    2008
Tea Club, The    General Winter's Secret Museum    2008
Tea Club, The    Rabbit    2008
Various Artists    Big Blue Ball    2008
Wilson, Steven    Insurgentes    2008
Zappa, Dweezil    Zappa Plays Zappa    2008
Zorn, John    O'o    2008
Amos, Tori    Abnormally Attracted To Sin    2009
Amos, Tori    Midwinter Graces    2009
Beck, Jeff    Emotion & Commotion    2009
Big Big Train    Gathering Speed    2009
Big Big Train    Underfall Yard, The    2009
Claypool, Les    Of Fungi And Foe    2009
Cusick, Paul    Focal Point    2009
Djam Karet    Heavy Soul Sessions, The    2009
Hackett, Steve    Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth    2009
Knifeworld    Buried Alive: Tales Of Crushing Defeat    2009
Omphrey    Omphrey    2009
Phideaux    Number Seven    2009
Pineapple Thief, The    Someone Here Is Missing    2009
Porcupine Tree    Incident. The    2009
Pure Reason Revolution    Amor Vincent Omnia    2009
Stewart, Dave & Barbara Gaskin    Green and Blue    2009
Umphrey's McGee    Mantis    2009
Umphrey's McGee    Prog Sampler    2009
Univers Zero    Clivages    2009
Anderson, Laurie    Homeland    2010
Black Mountain    Wilderness Heart    2010
Eno, Brian with Jon Hopkins & Leo Abrahams    Small Craft on a Milk Sea    2010
Ferry, Bryan    Olympia    2010
Frith, Fred    Eye To Ear III    2010
Hassell, Jon    Last night the moon came dropping its clothes on the street    2010
Maserati    Pyramid Of The Sun    2010
McLachlan, Sarah    Laws Of Illusion    2010
Metheny, Pat    Orchestrion    2010
Phideaux    Snowtorch    2010
Reasoning, The    Acoustically Speaking    2010
Reasoning, The    Adverse Camber    2010
Remez, Nadav    So Far    2010
Stereolab    Not Music    2010
Tea Club, The    Quickly Quickly Quickly    2010
Tibbetts, Steve    Natural Causes    2010
Ukab Maerd    Waiting Room, The    2010
Umphrey's McGee    Summer Sampler 2010    2010
Zorn, John    Ipsissimus    2010
Amos, Tori    Night Of Hunters    2011
Bush, Kate    50 Words For Snow    2011
Corea, Clarke & White    Forever    2011
Discipline    To Shatter All Accord    2011
Hackett, Steve    Beyond The Shrouded Horizon    2011
Herd Of Instinct    Herd Of Instinct    2011
Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins    Scarcity Of Miracles, A    2011
Knifeworld    Dear Lord, No Deal    2011
Levin, Tony, David Torn, Alan White    Levin Torn White    2011
Primus    Green Naugahyde    2011
Radiohead    King Of Limbs, The    2011
Storm Corrosion    Storm Corrosion    2011
Umphrey's McGee    Death By Stereo    2011
Wilson, Steven    Grace For Drowning    2011
Zorn, John    Nosferatu    2011
Zorn, John    At The Gates Of Paradise    2011
Anderson, Ian    Thick As A Brick 2    2012
Big Big Train    English Electric    2012
Henry Fool    Men Singing    2012
Knifeworld    Clairvoyant Fortnight    2012
Maserati    Maserati VII    2012
Ohmphrey    Posthaste    2012
Pineapple Thief, The    all the wars    2012
Reasoning, The    Adventures In Neverland    2012
Samuel Jackson Five, The    Samuel Jackson Five, The    2012
Staves, The    Dead & Born & Grown    2012
Stereokimono    Intergalactic Art Café    2012
Big Big Train    English Electric Part Two    2013
Djam Karet    Trip, The    2013
Herd Of Instinct    Conjure    2013
Maserati    2013-10-26 Caledonia Lounge - Athens, GA    2013
Nine Inch Nails    Hesitation Marks    2013
Premiata Forneria Marconi    PFM In Classic - Da Mozart A Celebration    2013
Renaissance    Symphony of Light    2013
Staves, The    Dead & Born & Grown & Live    2013
Thieve's Kitchen, The    One For Sorrow, Two For Joy    2013
Wilson, Steven    Raven That Refused To Sing, The    2013
Zorn, John    Dreamachines    2013
Zorn, John    On the Torment of Saints, the Casting of Spells and the Evocation of Spirits    2013
Amos, Tori    Unrepentant Geraldines    2014
Anubis    Hitchiking To Byzantium    2014
Buckethead    Listen for the Whisper    2014
Curved Air    North Star    2014
Djam Karet    Regenerator 3017    2014
Dream The Electric Sleep    Heretics    2014
Electric Orange    Volume 10    2014
Eno - Hyde    Someday World    2014
Eno - Hyde    High Life    2014
Fractile Mirror    Garden of Ghosts    2014
Ian Anderson    Homo Erraticus    2014
Knifeworld    Unravelling, The    2014
McLachlan, Sarah    Shine On    2014
Perfect Beings    Perfect Beings    2014
Pineapple Thief, The    Magnolia    2014
Primus    Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble    2014
Pymlico    Guiding Lignt    2014
Rothery, Steve    Ghosts of Pripyat, The    2014
Swans    To Be Kind    2014
Umphrey's McGee    Similar Skin    2014
Way, Darryl    Children Of The Cosmos    2014

It's all good stuff to one degree or the other.

As far as what is the best, I'll have to get back to you...Wink

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: GhostPony750
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 00:04
I think that the problem, with new progressive work, is that the artists solely focus on doing progressive music... I remember an interview with Peter Gabriel where he said that they didn't try to do anything complex, they just wanted to make good music. It's very difficult, or lets say easy to find boring prog because of that.

For me, the best since the 2000's is Citizen Cain, but I don't really search for new stuff anymore, I'm often disappointed. But seriously, give Citizen Cain a try, it's just soooo good!

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 02:07
just as much good stuff now as ever
that's it I guess

-------------
There be dragons

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 05:39
@Slarti: And I thought my list was long!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 05:41
Originally posted by GhostPony750 GhostPony750 wrote:

I think that the problem, with new progressive work, is that the artists solely focus on doing progressive music... I remember an interview with Peter Gabriel where he said that they didn't try to do anything complex, they just wanted to make good music. It's very difficult, or lets say easy to find boring prog because of that.

For me, the best since the 2000's is Citizen Cain, but I don't really search for new stuff anymore, I'm often disappointed. But seriously, give Citizen Cain a try, it's just soooo good!

Well if you're just going to focus on Neo and the retro progscene then yes, this almost certainly true, but when you look to see just how far prog has expanded and how much it can do you'll see just how wrong that is, and how wrong Gabriel was since there's a lot of music out there considerably more complex than anything he's ever done. 

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:08
21st century albums I love, and consider masterpieces or, at least, very strong 4 star releases:

Birds and Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth, Multipurpose Trap
Bushman's Revenge - Thou Shalt Boogie!
Dungen - Tio bitar
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Grand General - s/t
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Homunculus Res - Limiti all'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto
Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush, One-Armed Bandit, Live with Britten Sinfonia
Jono El Grande - Neo Dada, Phantom Stimulance
Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol.2, Phanerothyme, In the Fishtank 10, The Death Defying Unicorn
Møster! - Inner Earth
Panzerpappa - Koralrevens klagesang, Astromalist
A Silver Mt. Zion - F**k Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
Sigur Rós - ( ), Kveikur
Trioscapes - Separate Realities
Tusmørke - Underjordisk tusmørke
Ultralyd - Inertiadrome
Vespero - Droga
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

-------------

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:24

Originally posted by GhostPony750 GhostPony750 wrote:

Well if you're just going to focus on Neo and the retro progscene then yes, this almost certainly true, but when you look to see just how far prog has expanded and how much it can do you'll see just how wrong that is, and how wrong Gabriel was since there's a lot of music out there considerably more complex than anything he's ever done. 

Well said.
Another way of putting it might be: 'looking for love in all the wrong places'.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:26
Hey Audun! You got that Vespero album? I've been dying to get my hands on it, but not exactly crazy about having to import my music all the way from Russia.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:00
Trimming the list of a few I can kick to the curb  -
Beck, Jeff    You Had It Coming    2000
Bruford Levin Upper Extremities    Blue Nights    2000
Budd, Harold    Room, The    2000
Claypool, Les Frog Brigade    Live Frogs - Set 1    2000
Code Talkers, The with Col. Bruce Hampton    Bootleg Live    2000
Djam Karet    New Dark Age    2000
Explosions In The Sky    How Strange, Innocence    2000
Explosions In The Sky    Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever    2000
Fayman (Jeffery) & Fripp (Robert)    a temple in the clouds    2000
Fleck, Bela & the Flecktones    Outbound    2000
Fleck, Bela & The Flecktones    Live At The Quick    2000
Frith, Fred    clearing    2000
Gabriel, Peter    OVO:The Millenium Show    2000
Gunn, Trey Band, The    Joy of Molebdenum, The    2000
High Llamas, The    Buzzle Bee    2000
Husband, Gary    Things I See, The    2000
Incredible Expanding Mindf**k    Arcadia Son    2000
Jackson, Joe    Night and Day II    2000
Jarre, Jean Michel    Metmorphoses    2000
Jarre, Jean Michel    Sessions 2000    2000
Kansas    Somewhere to Elsewhere    2000
King Crimson    ConstruKtion of Light, The    2000
Levin, Tony    Waters of Eden    2000
Mitchell, Joni    Both Sides Now    2000
Porcupine Tree    Lightbulb Sun    2000
Radiohead    Kid A    2000
Rypdal, Terje    Lux Aeterna    2000
Steeley Dan    Two Against Nature    2000
Stereolab    First of the Microbe Hunters, The    2000
Walsh, Steve    Glossolalia    2000
XTC    Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2)    2000
Afro Celt Sound System    Volume 3 : Further In Time    2001
Amos, Tori    Strange Little Girls    2001
Anderson, Laurie    Life On A String    2001
Anderson, Laurie    Live at Town Hall New York City September 19-20 2001    2001
Bears, The    Car Caught Fire    2001
Big Big Train    Bard    2001
Buckethead    Funnel Weaver    2001
Djam Karet    Ascension    2001
Eno, Brian & J. Peter Schwalm    Drawn From Life    2001
Europa String Choir    Marching Ants    2001
Fleck, Bela    Perpetual Motion    2001
Frith, Fred    Digital Wildlife    2001
Garbarek, Anja    Smiling And Waving    2001
Henry Fool    Henry Fool    2001
Jones, John Paul    Thunderthief    2001
Marillion    anoraknophobia    2001
Metheny. Pat    One Quiet Night    2001
Muffins, The    Bandwidth    2001
Nine Inch Nails    And All That Could Have Been    2001
no-man    returning jesus    2001
Oysterhead    Grand Pecking Order, The    2001
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Life Enigma    2001
Porcupine Tree    Warszawa    2001
Praxis    Warszawa    2001
Prince    Rainbow Children, The    2001
Radiohead    Amnesiac    2001
Rhodes, Happy    Find Me    2001
Stereolab    Sound-Dust    2001
Stereolab    ABC Music    2001
Sting    …All This Time    2001
Yes    Magnification    2001
Amos, Tori    Scarlett's Walk    2002
Bowie, David    Heathen    2002
Buckethead    Bermuda Triangle    2002
Buckethead    Electric Tears    2002
Claypool, Les Frog Brigade, The    Purple Onion    2002
Codetalkers, The    Codetalkers, The    2002
Coryell, Larry    Tricycles    2002
Coryell, Larry, John Abercrombie, Badi Assad    Three Guitars    2002
Djam Karet    No Commercial Potential    2002
Gabriel, Peter    Long Walk Home Music From The Rabbit-Proof Fence    2002
Gabriel, Peter    Up    2002
Glass, Philip    Naqoyqatsi    2002
Gong, Pierre Moerlen's    Pentanine    2002
Hackett, Steve    Darktown    2002
Holdsworth, Allan    All Night Wrong    2002
King Crimson    happy with what you have to be happy with    2002
Levin, Tony    pieces of the sun    2002
Maserati    Language of Cities, The    2002
Medeski Martin and Wood    Uninvisible    2002
Metheny, Pat Group    Speaking Of Now    2002
Nektar    Prodigal Son, The    2002
O'Connor, Sinead    Sean-Nos Nua    2002
Oregon    Live at Yoshi's    2002
Pere Ubu    St Arkansas    2002
Pineapple Thief, The    Variations On A Dream    2002
Porcupine Tree    in absentia    2002
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Live in Japan 2002    2002
Residents, The    Demons Dance Alone Limited Edition    2002
Roach, Steve    Darkest Before Dawn    2002
Santana    Shaman    2002
Synergy    Reconstructed Artifacts    2002
Triggering Myth, A    Forgiving Eden    2002
Umphrey's McGee    Local Band Does O.K.    2002
Bass Communion    Ghosts On Magnetic Tape    2003
Beck, Jeff    Jeff    2003
Blackfield    Blackfield    2003
Bowie, David    Reality    2003
Buckethead    Bucketheadland 2    2003
Budd, Harold    la bella vista    2003
Djam Karet    A Night For Baku    2003
Eluvium    Accidental Memory In Case of Death, An    2003
Eluvium    Lambent Material    2003
Explosions In The Sky    Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, The    2003
Fleck, Bela & The Flecktones    Little Worlds    2003
Frith, Fred    Rivers and Tides    2003
Frith, Fred/John Zorn    50th Birthday Volume 5    2003
Greenwood, Jonny    Bodysong    2003
Grey Star Morning    Heartwash Hotel    2003
Hackett, Steve    To Watch The Storms    2003
High Llamas, The    Beet, Maize & Corn    2003
High Llamas, The    retrospective, rarities & instrumentals    2003
Jackson, Joe Band    Volume 4    2003
King Crimson    Power To Believe, The    2003
McLachlan, Sarah    Afterglow    2003
Monade    Socalism Ou Barbarie    2003
Mono    Holy Ground: NYC Live    2003
no-man    together we're stranger    2003
Oldfield, Mike    Tubular Bells 2003    2003
Porcupine Tree    Futile    2003
Primus    Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People    2003
Radiohead    Hail to the Thief    2003
Roach, Steve    Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces    2003
Steely Dan    Everything Must Go    2003
Stereolab    Instant 0 In The Universe    2003
Talisma    Corpus    2003
Univers Zero    Implosion    2003
Wyatt, Robert    Cuckooland    2003
Wyatt, Robert    Solar Flares Burn for You    2003
Amos, Tori    Welcome To Sunny Florida    2004
Amos, Tori    Beekeeper, The    2004
Belew, Adrian    side one    2004
Black Mountain    Black Mountain    2004
Buckethead    Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, The    2004
Buckethead    population override    2004
Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains    Big Eyeball in the Sky, The    2004
Fripp, Robert & Eno, Brian    Equatorial Stars, The    2004
Hackett, Steve & The Underworld Orchestra    Metamorpheus    2004
Happy The Man    Muse Awakens, The    2004
Manzanera, Phil    6pm    2004
Marillion    Marbles    2004
Medeski Martin and Wood    End of the World Party (just in case)    2004
Metheny, Pat Group    Way Up, The    2004
Muffins, The    Double Negative    2004
Netkar    Evolution    2004
Ozric Tentacles    Spirals In Hyperspace    2004
Phideaux    Fiendish    2004
Phideaux    Ghost Story    2004
Prince    Musicology    2004
Residents, The    Animal Lover    2004
Stereolab    Margerine Eclipse    2004
Umphrey's McGee    Anchor Drops    2004
Afro Celt Sound System    Volume 5: Anatomic    2005
Belew, Adrian    Side Two    2005
Bush, Kate    Aerial    2005
Crimson Jazz Trio    King Crimson Songbook Volume 1    2005
Djam Karet    Recollection Harvest & Indian Summer    2005
Eluvium    Talk Amongst the Trees    2005
Eno, Brian    Another Day On Earth    2005
Explosions In The Sky    Rescue, The    2005
Fripp, Robert    Love Cannot Bear    2005
Johnson, Eric    Bloom    2005
Manzanera, Phil    50 Minutes Later    2005
Monade    A Few Steps More    2005
Morse, Steve    Prime Cuts    2005
Nine Inch Nails    [With Teeth]    2005
No Sound    Sol29    2005
Oldfield, Mike    Light + Shade    2005
Parallel Mind    Colossus Adea    2005
Phideaux    Chupacabras    2005
Porcupine Tree    Deadwing    2005
Stereolab    Oscillons from the Anti-Sun    2005
Talisma    Chromium    2005
zincs, the    dimmer    2005
Abercrombie, John    Third Quartet, The    2006
Anderson, Jon    Live From La La Land    2006
Belew, Adrian    Side Three    2006
Blue October    Foiled    2006
Claypool, Les    Of Whales and Woe    2006
Code Talkers, The    Now    2006
Eluvium    When I Live By the Garden and the Sea    2006
Fripp & Eno    Beyond Even (1992-2006)    2006
Guthrie, Robin/Harold Budd    Before the Day Breaks    2006
Guthrie, Robin/Harold Budd    After the Night Falls    2006
Hackett, Steve    Wild Orchids    2006
Levin, Tony    Resonator    2006
McLachlan, Sarah    Wintersong    2006
Ozric Tentacles    Floor's Too Far Away, The    2006
Phideaux    313    2006
Phideaux    the great leap    2006
Pineapple Thief, The    Little Man    2006
Premiata Forneria Marconi    Stati Di Immaginazione    2006
Pure Reason Revolution    Dark Third, The    2006
Residents, The    Tweedles    2006
Rypdal, Terje    Vossabrygg    2006
Simon, Paul    Surprise    2006
Stereolab    fab four suture    2006
Triggering Myth, A    Remedy of Abstraction, The    2006
Umphrey's McGee    Safety In Numbers    2006
Amos, Tori    American Doll Posse    2007
Baku Llama    Eris    2007
Big Big Train    The Difference Machine    2007
Blackfield    Blackfield II    2007
Col. Bruce Hampton & The Quark Alliance    Give Thanks To Chank    2007
Explosions In The Sky    All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone    2007
Gorishankar, The    2nd Hands    200707
Jonas Hellborg    Art Metal    2007
Levin, Tony    Stick Man    2007
Maserati    Inventions for the New Season    2007
Monade    Monstre Cosmic    2007
Nine Inch Nails    Year Zero    2007
Observatory, The    A Far Cry From Here    2007
Phideaux    Doomsday Afternoon    2007
Pineapple Thief, The    What We Have Sown    2007
Ponty, Clara    Mirror Of Truth    2007
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Acatama Experience, The    2007
Porcupine Tree    Fear of a Blank Planet    2007
Porcupine Tree    Nil Recurring    2007
Porcupine Tree    We Lost The Skyline    2007
Radiohead    In Rainbows    2007
Reasoning, The    Awakening    2007
Umphrey's McGee    Bottom Half, The    2007
Wyatt, Robert    comicopera    2007
Zorn, John    Dreamers, The    2007
Alitheia    Chthonick    2008
Bass Communion    Molotov And Haze    2008
Black Mountain    In The Future    2008
Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret.    Songs of The Solar Ping    2008
Flood    Tales From The Four Seasons    2008
Nektar    Book of Days    2008
Nine Inch Nails    Ghosts    2008
Nine Inch Nails    Slip, The    2008
no-man    schoolyard ghosts    2008
Oldfield, Mike    Music Of The Spheres    2008
Pineapple Thief, The    Tightly Unwound    2008
Reasoning, The    Dark Angel    2008
Stereolab    Chemical Chords    2008
Talisma    Quelque Part    2008
Tea Club, The    General Winter's Secret Museum    2008
Tea Club, The    Rabbit    2008
Various Artists    Big Blue Ball    2008
Wilson, Steven    Insurgentes    2008
Zappa, Dweezil    Zappa Plays Zappa    2008
Zorn, John    O'o    2008
Amos, Tori    Abnormally Attracted To Sin    2009
Amos, Tori    Midwinter Graces    2009
Beck, Jeff    Emotion & Commotion    2009
Big Big Train    Gathering Speed    2009
Big Big Train    Underfall Yard, The    2009
Claypool, Les    Of Fungi And Foe    2009
Cusick, Paul    Focal Point    2009
Hackett, Steve    Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth    2009
Knifeworld    Buried Alive: Tales Of Crushing Defeat    2009
Phideaux    Number Seven    2009
Pineapple Thief, The    Someone Here Is Missing    2009
Porcupine Tree    Incident. The    2009
Umphrey's McGee    Mantis    2009
Umphrey's McGee    Prog Sampler    2009
Univers Zero    Clivages    2009
Anderson, Laurie    Homeland    2010
Black Mountain    Wilderness Heart    2010
Eno, Brian with Jon Hopkins & Leo Abrahams    Small Craft on a Milk Sea    2010
Ferry, Bryan    Olympia    2010
Frith, Fred    Eye To Ear III    2010
Hassell, Jon    Last night the moon came dropping its clothes on the street    2010
Maserati    Pyramid Of The Sun    2010
Metheny, Pat    Orchestrion    2010
Phideaux    Snowtorch    2010
Reasoning, The    Acoustically Speaking    2010
Reasoning, The    Adverse Camber    2010
Remez, Nadav    So Far    2010
Stereolab    Not Music    2010
Tea Club, The    Quickly Quickly Quickly    2010
Amos, Tori    Night Of Hunters    2011
Bush, Kate    50 Words For Snow    2011
Discipline    To Shatter All Accord    2011
Hackett, Steve    Beyond The Shrouded Horizon    2011
Herd Of Instinct    Herd Of Instinct    2011
Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins    Scarcity Of Miracles, A    2011
Knifeworld    Dear Lord, No Deal    2011
Levin, Tony, David Torn, Alan White    Levin Torn White    2011
Primus    Green Naugahyde    2011
Radiohead    King Of Limbs, The    2011
Storm Corrosion    Storm Corrosion    2011
Umphrey's McGee    Death By Stereo    2011
Wilson, Steven    Grace For Drowning    2011
Zorn, John    Nosferatu    2011
Big Big Train    English Electric    2012
Henry Fool    Men Singing    2012
Knifeworld    Clairvoyant Fortnight    2012
Maserati    Maserati VII    2012
Ohmphrey    Posthaste    2012
Pineapple Thief, The    all the wars    2012
Reasoning, The    Adventures In Neverland    2012
Samuel Jackson Five, The    Samuel Jackson Five, The    2012
Staves, The    Dead & Born & Grown    2012
Stereokimono    Intergalactic Art Café    2012
Big Big Train    English Electric Part Two    2013
Herd Of Instinct    Conjure    2013
Maserati    2013-10-26 Caledonia Lounge - Athens, GA    2013
Nine Inch Nails    Hesitation Marks    2013
Premiata Forneria Marconi    PFM In Classic - Da Mozart A Celebration    2013
Renaissance    Symphony of Light    2013
Thieve's Kitchen, The    One For Sorrow, Two For Joy    2013
Wilson, Steven    Raven That Refused To Sing, The    2013
Zorn, John    Dreamachines    2013
Amos, Tori    Unrepentant Geraldines    2014
Anubis    Hitchiking To Byzantium    2014
Buckethead    Listen for the Whisper    2014
Curved Air    North Star    2014
Djam Karet    Regenerator 3017    2014
Dream The Electric Sleep    Heretics    2014
Electric Orange    Volume 10    2014
Eno - Hyde    Someday World    2014
Eno - Hyde    High Life    2014
Fractile Mirror    Garden of Ghosts    2014
Knifeworld    Unravelling, The    2014
McLachlan, Sarah    Shine On    2014
Perfect Beings    Perfect Beings    2014
Pineapple Thief, The    Magnolia    2014
Pymlico    Guiding Lignt    2014
Rothery, Steve    Ghosts of Pripyat, The    2014
Umphrey's McGee    Similar Skin    2014
Way, Darryl    Children Of The Cosmos    2014

More to trim out but so far....

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:04
My list doesn't include 2013 or 2014 albums as I have to come up with a list for those two years yet, but here's some of my favourites, 21 to be exact.
King Crimson-The Power To Believe
Steven Wilson-Insurgents
Indukti-SUSAR or Idmen
Xing Sa-Creation De L'univers
Opeth-Damnation
Violeta Di Outono-Volume 7
Porcupine Tree-In Absentia
Picchio Dal Pozzo-Camere Zimmer Rooms
Fates Warning-Disconnect
Green Carnation-Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
Nosound-Sol 29
Anekdoten-Gravity
John Arch-A Twist Of fate
Guapo-Five Suns
Anathema-We're Here Because We're Here
Invisible Opera Company Of Tibet-UFO Planante
Long Distance Calling-Avoid The Light
IQ-Dark Matter
One Shot-Ewas Vader
Discipline-To Shatter All Accord
Spock's Beard-V

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:11
12 Maalouf, IbrahimIllusions Leb2013 
12 Wrong Object, TheAfter the Exhibition Bel2013 
11 MiriodorCobra Fakir Can2013 
11 SetnaGuerison Fra2013 
11 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/anglagard.htm" rel="nofollow - Änglagård Viljans Öga Swe2012 
11 Cassol, FabrizioStrange Fruit Bel2012 
12 Youssef, DhaferAbu Nawas Rhapsody Tun2010 

12 MiriodorAvanti! Can2009 
11 Aka Moon / Baba Sissoko & Black MachineCulture Griot Var2009 
11 AranisSongs from Mirage Bel2009 
11 Basta!Cycles Bel2009 
11 EspersIII USA2009 
13 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/vdgg.htm" rel="nofollow - Van der Graaf Generator Trisector Eng2008 
11 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/dfa.htm" rel="nofollow - D.F.A. 4th Ita2008 
11 Finnegans WakeBlue Bel2008
12 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/bakullama.htm" rel="nofollow - Baku Llama Eris USA2007 
12 ManogurgeilUnirytmejae Fin2007 
12 SetnaCycle I Fra2007
13 EspersII USA2006 
12 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/universzero.htm" rel="nofollow - Univers Zero Live Bel2006 
12 Woven HandMosaic USA2006 
11 Aka MoonAmazir Bel2006 
11  Finnegans Wake4th Bel2005 

11 KBBLive 2004 Jpn2005 
11 Langlois, JeromeMolignak Can2005 

11 Plant, Robert / Strange SensationMighty Rearranger Eng2005 
12 P.G. SixThe Well of Memory USA2004 
12 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/universzero.htm" rel="nofollow - Univers Zero Implosion Bel2004 
13 EspersEspers USA2003 
12 Alamaailman VasaratKaarmelautakunta Fin2003
13 PaatosTimeloss Swe2002 
12 Plant, RobertDreamland Eng2002 
12 Vervloesem, PierreGrosso Modo Bel2002 
13 GlobalysGlobalys Bel2001
1 Aka MoonInvisible Sun Bel2000 
11 Do Make Say ThinkGoodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead Can2000 
11 http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/gong.htm" rel="nofollow - Gong Zero To Infinity Var2000 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:23
good calls Hugues...  I do love those Espers albums man

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 17:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey Audun! You got that Vespero album? I've been dying to get my hands on it, but not exactly crazy about having to import my music all the way from Russia.
I've got it, yes.

It's the only Vespero I've heard though, so I can't compare it to the rest of their output, but, as I said, I love it, and if their other albums are half as good as Droga, they're one hell of a band! Highly recommend getting hold of a copy of it.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 19:16
None of you people are familiar with Nemo???

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: January 17 2015 at 22:02
(not in any particular order)

Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 05:17
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Didn't look too closely at my list did you? I mentioned Presage and both Si albums, maybe I should have added Barberous as well.

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 10:52

Didn't look too closely at my list did you? I mentioned Presage and both Si albums, maybe I should have added Barberous as well.

I do really like a couple of their albums but they wouldn't make a best of list for the years they came out let alone this list. No offense, there's just SO much great music out there.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: January 18 2015 at 11:00
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I do really like a couple of their albums but they wouldn't make a best of list for the years they came out let alone this list. No offense, there's just SO much great music out there.

Same here. What I have heard of them was nice, but didn't really make a lasting impression. I am sorry they called it a day, though, and hope they will get back together one day. Quite a few people I know love them a lot.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you oughta give a shot to PS Six's first two albums... stunning stuff

he's become more Fairporty in his last albums (more group efforts)

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 08:25

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 08:39
^Names would be more useful than pictures, that 3rd image has no writting on it at all so I have no idea who the band is or the name of the album, making it a useless suggestion.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 08:54

^Names would be more useful than pictures, that 3rd image has no writting on it at all so I have no idea who the band is or the name of the album, making it a useless suggestion.
Oh so sorry, this is a band from Belgium called South Of No North and their debut album Octopussies Liquor Store http://humptydumptyrecords.blogspot.com/2011/11/hmpty014-south-of-no-north-octopussies.html" rel="nofollow - http://humptydumptyrecords.blogspot.com/2011/11/hmpty014-south-of-no-north-octopussies.html

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:03
My favorites from what I have heard thus far. If I have any glaring omissions, it's probably because I haven't heard the album yet. Wink

Anathema - Weather Systems
Ayreon - The Human Equation / 01011001
Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic, Parts 1 and 2
Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard / English Electric, Parts 1 and 2
Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension and Descension
Discipline - To Shatter All Accord
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence / Octavarium
An Endless Sporadic - s/t
Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence
Gazpacho - Night
Haken - Aquarius / Visions / The Mountain
Hiromi - Another Mind / Time Control
IQ - The Road of Bones
King Crimson - The Power to Believe / A Scarcity of Miracles
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium / Frances the Mute
Moon Safari - Lover's End, Part III
Muse - Absolution / Black Holes & Revelations
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Spock's Beard - V / X
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning / The Raven that Refused to Sing
Tangerine Dream - Machu Picchu
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever / Kaleidoscope
Yes - Fly from Here

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you oughta give a shot to PS Six's first two albums... stunning stuff

he's become more Fairporty in his last albums (more group efforts)

sounds like it belongs right up my alley!

Thanks Hugues.. I'll be sure to check that out. Especially since I have a lot of prep work to do in advance of the album contest. I thought I was fairly conversant with the modern stuff.. hah.. threads like this and the similar one in the collab zone where we have been putting together the album lists have completely blown away that notion.  More often than not I haven't heard of, much less actually listen to, many of the suggestions.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 12:59
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Oh so sorry, this is a band from Belgium called South Of No North and their debut album Octopussies Liquor Store http://humptydumptyrecords.blogspot.com/2011/11/hmpty014-south-of-no-north-octopussies.html" rel="nofollow - http://humptydumptyrecords.blogspot.com/2011/11/hmpty014-south-of-no-north-octopussies.html

Thanks, giving it a try now. The artwork really caught my attention.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:31

I looked up the first one on the list and unhelpfully there are no reviews on PA and just 4 ratings (average 4.5 stars), so any chance you could review it?

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 17:12

Thanks, giving it a try now. The artwork really caught my attention.
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 19 2015 at 17:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I looked up the first one on the list and unhelpfully there are no reviews on PA and just 4 ratings (average 4.5 stars), so any chance you could review it?
Nope. I have no talent to write a serious analysis about the albums I'm listening to. Though, I can tell you that you can be sure that Goldbug's The Seven Dreams is a really great avant prog album; there are samples at their Bandcamp page, so you can check the atmosphere - if you like avant prog, of course. 
And here's a review by Sid Smith on Classic Rock Magazine (UK)
"Starting out as a project between Base3_ colleagues Tim Motzer (guitar) and Barry Meehan (bass), Goldbug came into being after a fortuitous jam session with the gifted drummer Eric Slick, then in-between sessions with the Adrian Belew Power Trio.The results are as energetic as they eclectic. After an impressionistic, FX-laden introduction, the album album gets underway appropriately enough with The Departure. Slick’s hyper-active drumming creates a beguiling rhythmic static intermittently pierced by Barry Meehan’s combative quicksilver bass runs. Motzer doesn’t so much play a solo as smear luminescent echo-drenched notes against the fields of colour and rhythm created by his colleagues.There’s a real sense of tension throughout the record that comes from never being quite sure of what might lie around the corner. Thus we have a constantly percolating space-jazz, flecked with the radiant arcs of gleaming solos, notes colliding via irregular orbits, intriguing clusters of intense interplay, interspersed mysterious dissonant events of glitch-infused electronica.The strategic addition of UK sax and flute player, Theo Travis, shifts the gears and expertly stokes up The Seven Dreams’ fiery clamour exactly when needed.The Past Is Still Present, tethered to Mehan’s recurrent motif - not a million miles away from Coltrane’s A Love Supreme - is a courtly dance conjured by spiralling tom-toms and Motzer’s sustained minimalist picking. Suddenly Travis’s tenor enters raking over the coals, adding his own spark and raucous bite. Stirring stuff for sure." 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 21 2015 at 03:51
Anything by: OSI, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (solo), The Gathering, Haken, last 3 albums of Fates Warning (+ Arch/Matheos), Redemption, IQ, Subsignal, Threshold, Poverty's No Crime, The Aurora Project, Anubis Gate, Pagan's Mind, Airbag and I'm sure there's more but I'll get back to that. Big smile

Marillion - Marbles
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Myrath - Hope (2007) and Tales of the Sand 2011)
Pax Romana - Trace of Light (2005)
Kingcrow - Phlegeton (2010) and In Crescendo (2013)
Ark - Burn the Sun (2001)
Deadsoul Tribe - The January Tree (2004)
Dream Theater - Train of Thought and Octavarium
Tunnelvision - Tomorrow (2002)
God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
Opeth - Damnation

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 11:14

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 10:02
Cookie's TOP 20 Best of the 21st Century So Far (not only prog - various genres);

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R367211113_3045849_21086174.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Elephant - The White Stripes (2003)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/1905481jpg_1145889_18471593.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True - Fair To Midland (2007)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/11998jpg_8387843_21086229.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Sound Awake - Karnivool (2009)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/Agadezjpg_5668115_18471785.jpg" rel="nofollow">
The Bedlam In Goliath - The Mars Volta (2008)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/BodilyFunc_3393337_21086121.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Bodily Functions - Matthew Herbert (2001)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/janellemon_1213702_21086028.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Archandroid - Janelle Monae (2010)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R257007312_3546192_21086067.jpg" rel="nofollow">
The Eraser - Thom Yorke (2006)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R171167912_2384522_18471664.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Crack The Skye - Mastodon (2009)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R475949134_4247283_21085946.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Romances - Kaada & Patton (2004)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R135612533_4504427_18471732.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Vocalcity - Luomo (2000)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/3476143jpg_8061550_18471631.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Amputechture - The Mars Volta (2006)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/cover52241_4376997_21070551.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré - Magma (2009)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/136193jpg_7926381_18471691.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Asymmetry - Karnivool (2013)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/2625192jpg_3428751_18471621.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Lateralus - Tool (2001)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/CuongVUCom_1240472_18471769.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Come Play With Me - Cuong Vu (2001)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/51QujP01W0_1221190_18471794.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Give - The Bad Plus (2004)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/marsvoltad_6393998_18471860.jpg" rel="nofollow">
De-loused In The Comatorium - The Mars Volta (2003)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/Radioheadk_5807099_21085679.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Kid A - Radiohead (2000)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/1250238jpg_9280170_18471826.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Amnesiac - Radiohead (2001)

http://pixvenue.com/showimage/R674342914_4498985_18471808.jpg" rel="nofollow">
Vespertine - Björk (2001)

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 12:09
Top 30:

1. Radiohead - Kid A
2. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
3. Gorillaz - s/t
4. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
5. The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
6. Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World
7. Swans - To Be Kind
8. deadmau5 - Random Album Title
9. Gorillaz - Demon Days
10. Radiohead - Amnesiac
11. Guster - Ganging Up On The Sun
12. Death Grips - The Money Store
13. The Avalanches - Since I Left You
14. LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
15. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!
16. Radiohead - In Rainbows
17. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
18. Sufjan Stevens - Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
19. Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
20. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
21. Ween - Quebec
22. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
23. The Strokes - Is This It
24. David Bowie - Blackstar
25. Gorillaz - D-Sides
26. Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
27. The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
28. Ween - White Pepper
29. The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
30. Cake - Comfort Eagle

Only two prog albums. I should hand in my card. 

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 12:45
Dylan Modern Times beats out any prog ive heard in the 21st.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk