Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Best of the 21st Century So Far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best of the 21st Century So Far
    Posted: January 12 2015 at 06:50
First of all, I apologize if there is already a thread about the same topic. I tried to run a search - to no avail.

As the past 15 years have seen a resurgence of progressive rock (and progressive music in general), I am curious to know which albums PA members consider as milestones of this particular period, in any of the subgenres listed here. Personally, I have a few ideas, but I will have to think it over a bit, as there has been so much great music released since the beginning of the century that is often hard to choose.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:22
The more I think of it the more I consider this to be a very difficult question. Prog has become so fractured and diverse in the last 20-25 years, and with the retro side of it so damn strong, that it's almost impossible to pick albums out that have been massively influentel and helped to drive the genre forward. The impression I have is that on the whole it tends to creep forward by taking bits and pieces from all over and adding to whats all ready there, slowly changing piece by piece without really having one album, or selection of albums, that can be identified as a game changer. Metal would be one of the few areas I could point to some such albums though:

Isis- Oceanic: Probably where the Post Metal genre fully formed alongisde Cult of Luna's Salvation and Pelican's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beccon the Thaw
Between the Buried and Me- Alaska: One of the first attempts to mix Metalcore and Prog and by far the most successful of the early attempts.
Weakling- Dead as Dreams: The first album in the Atmospheric Black Metal genre, fairly obscure but directly resonsible for bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Negura Bunget, Drudkh, Alcest, Fen, Thy Catafalque, Altar of Plagues etc
Enslaved- Isa: The other side of the Black Metal coin for prog.

Of course if your looking for what I would consider to be the absolute best albums of the last 15 years then thats a different list.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

First of all, I apologize if there is already a thread about the same topic. I tried to run a search - to no avail.

As the past 15 years have seen a resurgence of progressive rock (and progressive music in general), I am curious to know which albums PA members consider as milestones of this particular period, in any of the subgenres listed here. Personally, I have a few ideas, but I will have to think it over a bit, as there has been so much great music released since the beginning of the century that is often hard to choose.

All the sub-genres listed on PA are currently litmus tests for the Prog credentials of artist submissions received from the site members. This may or may not be consistent with the future aims of the site. For me, credible Prog ceased circa 1979-80 so I'm intrigued that like many other PA members, you appear to believe without demur that progressive rock and progressive music in general continues to be reflected in the roster of artists admitted to our archive from 2000 onwards. If this is so, would it not suggest that PA is no longer a Prog Rock archive but is really a progressive music appreciation site?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 08:26
^It seems that PA's been a progressive music appreciation site for many a moon, Ian.

However, I don't feel that that position dilutes PA. In fact, that makes the site accessible to a broader range of people that don't have an appreciation site for a bands like Gojira and the like. 

Edited by SteveG - January 12 2015 at 08:27
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

All the sub-genres listed on PA are currently litmus tests for the Prog credentials of artist submissions received from the site members. This may or may not be consistent with the future aims of the site. For me, credible Prog ceased circa 1979-80 so I'm intrigued that like many other PA members, you appear to believe without demur that progressive rock and progressive music in general continues to be reflected in the roster of artists admitted to our archive from 2000 onwards. If this is so, would it not suggest that PA is no longer a Prog Rock archive but is really a progressive music appreciation site?

More like a splitting hairs site.Ermm

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 09:56
Interpreting "milestones" as simply "really awesome albums", I think this should be a fairly uncontroversial topic.  Maybe best to set aside the questions of which albums pushed music forward the most, and whether or not those albums should be on PA.

I'll get back to ya on this.  Food for thought.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:42
Yeah, going with "really awesome albums from 2000 onwards", I'll say these with 5 star masterpieces in bold and the rest a good 4.5 from me:

Symphony X- V: The New Mythology Suite, Iconoclast
Transatlantic- SMPTe
IQ- The Seventh House, The Road of Bones
Madder Mortem- All Flesh is Grass, Deadlands
maudlin of the Well- Bath, Leaving Your Body Map, Part the Second
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element, 12:5, Remedy Lane, BE
Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape, In Somniphobia
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
In the Woods....- Liveatthecaledonianhall
Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downward, Coyote, Hubardo, Coffins on Io
The Mars Volta- De Loused in the Commatorium, Amputechture, The Bedlam in Goliath
Muse- Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations
Nemo- Presages, Si Partie I, Si Partie II
Virgin Black- Elegant... and Dying, Requiem Mezzo Forte
Cult of Luna- Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
Disillusion- Back to Times of Splendor, Gloria
Enslaved- Isa, Ruun
Far Corner- s/t
The Gathering- Sleepy Buildings
Guapo- Five Suns, Black Oni
Isis- Wavering Radient
Marillion- Marbles
Paatos- Timeloss
Peccatum- Lost in Reverie
Virus- Carheart
White Willow- Storm Season, Terminal Twilight
Indukti- SUSAR
Ram-Zet- Intra
Sieges Even- The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells, Microcosmos
Ellipsis- Imperial Tzadik
Hiromi- Spiral
Gijira- From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh
NeBeLNeST- Zepto
OOIOO- Taiga
Protst the Hero- Kezia
Sikth- Death of a Dead Day
Unexpect- In a Flesh Aquarium, Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Between the Buried and Me- Colors, The Great Misdirect, The Parrallaz II: Future Sequence
Canvas Solaris- Cortical Tectonics, The Atomized Dream
Deathspell Omega- Fas--Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum; Paracletus
Epica- The Divine Conspiracy
The Pax Cecilia- Blessed are the Bonds
Riverside- Rapid Eye Movement, Anno Domine High Definition
Yakuza- Transmutations, Of Seismic Consequence
Birds and Buildings- Bantom to Bohemoth
Burst- Lazarus Bird
Cynic- Traced in Air
Dark Suns- Grave Human Genuine
Intronaut- Prehistoricisms, Valley of Smoke
Saena- s/t
Sculptured- Embodiment
To-Mera- Delusions, Exile
Delue Grander- The Form of the Good
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delerious
Fen- The Malediction Field, Epoch, Dustwalker
Giant Squid- The Icthyologist
Karnivool- Sound Awake
Mastodon- Crack the Skye
Thy Catafalque- Roka Hasa Radio
Wobbler- Afterglow
Ihsahn- After
In Lingua Mortua- Sona des Refuses
Rolo Tomassi- Cosmology
Universe Zero- Clivages
hAND- Breathing
Leprous- Bilateral
Sub Rosa- No Help for the Mighty Ones
Tartar Lamb II- Polyimage of Known Exits
Frequency Drift- ...Laid to Rest, Over
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Vaura- Selenelion

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:44
Milestones eh? 

I'd say you could make an argument for most of these:

Ulver - Perdition City
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
NIL - Nil Novo Sub Sole
Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye (Not too fond of it myself, but I hear it's innovative powers quite clearly)
Vespero - By The Waters Of Tomorrow
The Gourishankar - 2nd Hands
ZU - Carboniferous
Cabezas de Cera - Metalmusica - Aleaciones Aleatorias
Grails - Burning Off Impurities
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden - Structure et Force
Thinking Plague - A History Of Madness
Polytoxicomane Philharmonie - Psycho Erectus
Godspeed - Pimp Your Jimmy Mits
Guapo - 5 Suns
Swans - The Seer
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium
Don Caballero - American Don
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book M
Dungen - 4
Bark Psychosis - Dustsucker
Russian Circles - Enter

Some I chose because they were part of establishing an entirely new scene/sound such as Godspeed and Bark Psychosis - the latter credited for having one of the first post rock albums under it's belt in 'Hex', but it is with Codename: Dustsucker they perfected the sound. Others because they revitalised a scene by bringing in entirely new and fresh approaches to the mix. Here I'm thinking of Kayo Dot and The Gourishankar in particularly. 
Dungen? Hmmmm yeah.....erm.... They're just so damn awesomeEmbarrassed Nobody sounds like them, not really. Tame Impala overtly copied the style but they lack the ferociousness of the Swedes...and then obviously that unique summer morning feel there is to everything they touch.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 12 2015 at 21:26
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:01
Oh my Frish, milestones .. 

I wanted to say Viljans Öga, which certainly was a milestone for me. I list it under contemporary classical, not really prog, so it's a "contemporary classical/symphonic milestone of the 21st century". 

I was very much impressed by Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra, but I don't even know if they are listed on PA. Probably not. To me, they are a milestone development of the 'progressive big band' style. 

I was also very pleased with the way Jaga Jazzist have evolved in the past several years. In their personal evolution, their latest with Britten Sinfonia is a milestone. 

My greatest personal discovery was Impossible Ark, which is not a band, but rather a collective of London-based musicians of different backgrounds, with Riaan Vosloo and Benedict Lamden at their center of gravity

Nil Recurring is everything I need from Ms. Wilson; in this sense it's a milestone, of sorts? 

Hiromi Uehara and Jeremy Pelt have come up with what I consider milestone "fusion" of the 21st century. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^It seems that PA's been a progressive music appreciation site for many a moon, Ian.

However, I don't feel that that position dilutes PA. In fact, that makes the site accessible to a broader range of people that don't have an appreciation site for a bands like Gojira and the like. 

OK, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either but I just wish that the site would 'come clean' and admit as much i.e. change the name to avoid confusion and end the hypocrisy of continuing to expect the genre teams to implement an admissions policy designed solely to establish an artist's Prog quotient. It's hardly 'splitting hairs' to expect the contents to be consistent with what's written on the tin is it? We both know that this is never gonna happen because once PA acknowledges itself as a progressive music appreciation site (c/f Prog Rock archive), the infrastructure will simply collapse under the deluge of strays clamoring at our flimsy catflap...

(Think I over cooked the feline metaphors there a tad...Wink)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:10
^ClapClap Clappies to you, Sir!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:11
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

OK, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either but I just wish that the site would 'come clean' and admit as much i.e. change the name to avoid confusion and end the hypocrisy of continuing to expect the genre teams to implement an admissions policy designed solely to establish an artist's Prog quotient. It's hardly 'splitting hairs' to expect the contents to be consistent with what's written on the tin is it? We both know that this is never gonna happen because once PA acknowledges itself as a progressive music appreciation site (c/f Prog Rock archive), the infrastructure will simply collapse under the deluge of strays clamoring at our flimsy catflap...

(Think I over cooked the feline metaphors there a tad...Wink)

Or that there's plenty of people that just disagree with you and see no point in such a pointless change.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:12
^That's vintage Ian, Sleeper! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 18:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Interpreting "milestones" as simply "really awesome albums", I think this should be a fairly uncontroversial topic.  Maybe best to set aside the questions of which albums pushed music forward the most, and whether or not those albums should be on PA.

Thank you, Steve, for expressing in clearer words what I probably botched. This will teach me to post threads just before I have to leave for work, without thinking over every single word to avoid being misunderstood.

Indeed, what I meant was "really awesome albums", and my main purpose in asking this was to encourage people (myself included) to explore the great music produced in the first 14 years of this century. My reference to PA subgenres was merely instrumental, though I see I should have specified that being included in the database was not necessary.

In any case, I never intended this thread to turn into a discussion on the direction PA should take. When I decided to come back to the forums a few months ago, after a four-year absence, it was not in order to try to change the way this site works. My one and only purpose is to spread the word about new music worth listening to, not to question whether prog still exists, or whatever other quasi-philosophical issue some people want to talk about.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah, going with "really awesome albums from 2000 onwards", I'll say these with 5 star masterpieces in bold and the rest a good 4.5 from me:

Symphony X- V: The New Mythology Suite, Iconoclast
Transatlantic- SMPTe
IQ- The Seventh House, The Road of Bones
Madder Mortem- All Flesh is Grass, Deadlands
maudlin of the Well- Bath, Leaving Your Body Map, Part the Second
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element, 12:5, Remedy Lane, BE
Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape, In Somniphobia
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
In the Woods....- Liveatthecaledonianhall
Kayo Dot- Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downward, Coyote, Hubardo, Coffins on Io
The Mars Volta- De Loused in the Commatorium, Amputechture, The Bedlam in Goliath
Muse- Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations
Nemo- Presages, Si Partie I, Si Partie II
Virgin Black- Elegant... and Dying, Requiem Mezzo Forte
Cult of Luna- Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway
Disillusion- Back to Times of Splendor, Gloria
Enslaved- Isa, Ruun
Far Corner- s/t
The Gathering- Sleepy Buildings
Guapo- Five Suns, Black Oni
Isis- Wavering Radient
Marillion- Marbles
Paatos- Timeloss
Peccatum- Lost in Reverie
Virus- Carheart
White Willow- Storm Season, Terminal Twilight
Indukti- SUSAR
Ram-Zet- Intra
Sieges Even- The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Drudkh- Blood in Our Wells, Microcosmos
Ellipsis- Imperial Tzadik
Hiromi- Spiral
Gijira- From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh
NeBeLNeST- Zepto
OOIOO- Taiga
Protst the Hero- Kezia
Sikth- Death of a Dead Day
Unexpect- In a Flesh Aquarium, Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Between the Buried and Me- Colors, The Great Misdirect, The Parrallaz II: Future Sequence
Canvas Solaris- Cortical Tectonics, The Atomized Dream
Deathspell Omega- Fas--Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum; Paracletus
Epica- The Divine Conspiracy
The Pax Cecilia- Blessed are the Bonds
Riverside- Rapid Eye Movement, Anno Domine High Definition
Yakuza- Transmutations, Of Seismic Consequence
Birds and Buildings- Bantom to Bohemoth
Burst- Lazarus Bird
Cynic- Traced in Air
Dark Suns- Grave Human Genuine
Intronaut- Prehistoricisms, Valley of Smoke
Saena- s/t
Sculptured- Embodiment
To-Mera- Delusions, Exile
Delue Grander- The Form of the Good
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delerious
Fen- The Malediction Field, Epoch, Dustwalker
Giant Squid- The Icthyologist
Karnivool- Sound Awake
Mastodon- Crack the Skye
Thy Catafalque- Roka Hasa Radio
Wobbler- Afterglow
Ihsahn- After
In Lingua Mortua- Sona des Refuses
Rolo Tomassi- Cosmology
Universe Zero- Clivages
hAND- Breathing
Leprous- Bilateral
Sub Rosa- No Help for the Mighty Ones
Tartar Lamb II- Polyimage of Known Exits
Frequency Drift- ...Laid to Rest, Over
Headspace- I Am Anonymous
Vaura- Selenelion

Sleeper, you need to stop holding back, man. LOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:26
^You should see how many albums I skipped over!

Thank you, Steve, for expressing in clearer words what I probably botched. This will teach me to post threads just before I have to leave for work, without thinking over every single word to avoid being misunderstood.

Indeed, what I meant was "really awesome albums", and my main purpose in asking this was to encourage people (myself included) to explore the great music produced in the first 14 years of this century. My reference to PA subgenres was merely instrumental, though I see I should have specified that being included in the database was not necessary.

In any case, I never intended this thread to turn into a discussion on the direction PA should take. When I decided to come back to the forums a few months ago, after a four-year absence, it was not in order to try to change the way this site works. My one and only purpose is to spread the word about new music worth listening to, not to question whether prog still exists, or whatever other quasi-philosophical issue some people want to talk about.

Probably my fault for taking the word milestones too literally, and for some reason Ian seems to have been pushing the same point in every thread recently, as if the "prog vs progressive" debate hadn't been flogged to death already.

Anyway, I hope you can find something of interest from my list.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 19:46
Electric Masada - Mountains Of Madness - radically different, noisy, jazz-metal, shocking
Magma - K.A. - Reemergence of one of the greats
Nik Bartsch Ronin - Holon - Minimalism is a rock environment, landmark
Thinking Plague - A History Of Madness - one of the two TP albums that announce TP as a force on the Avant scene
Ske - 1000 Autunni - Yugen keysman blend a beautiful mix of avant, symph, jazz & retro, stage setting for new experimentation
Aranis - Songs From Mirage - Chamber Rock without drums, stretching the pallet back to area previous covered by the likes of Julverne
Present - Barbaro - Definitive in the way to release a CD/DVD, stunning
Guapo - 5 Suns - one of the best representative of the new young wave of Zeuhl bands carving out their own territory
Cheer-Accident - Fear Draws Misfortune - Post-Punk Pop Prog - multifaceted, ever changing, echoes of Cardiacs, another band stretching definitions
Vezhlivy Otkaz - Gusi-Lebedi - Russian Folk Avant classic one of the great Eastern European bands opened up to new audiences by AltrOck distribution.
Miriodor - Avanti! - One of the best of the Avant instrumental bands, a personal favorite as it introduced me to modern avant along with C-A
Koenjiyakkei - Angherr Shisspa - One of the modern wave of Japanese dark heavy edgy Avant bands
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History - Unlike anyone else, single-handedly created Metal In Opposition
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book M - blending Metal, Folk & Middle Eastern vibes
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Singalong Songs Of The Damned & Delirious - Swing Metal with an Operatic vocalist - bizarre but it works.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:18
I see we have two of the same listed IanCool
5 Suns and Book M. Consider this two official recommendations people! They're absolutely indispensable. 

EDIT: Make that three with A History of Madness!

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 12 2015 at 21:19
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:01

I certainly didn't mean to derail the thread Raff but your OP simply triggered a few thoughts and it snowballed from there. Apologies if any perceived offence was taken.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:03
Hmmm... I don't know from milestones (because the time for prog milestones was over 40 years ago), but offhand I would say I think these were important and great, and don't look silly sitting forlornly by themselves away from the rest of my record collection:

Tool - Lateralus
The Decemberists - Hazards of Love
Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Big, Big Train - English Electric, Part One
Sigur Rós - Takk
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>