Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101086
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 21:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Oasis vs. Nirvana
Posted By: Polymorphia
Subject: Oasis vs. Nirvana
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:09
Not happy about it but it had to be done.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Replies:
Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:11
The killer woke up in Belgium. He poured alotta syrup on his waffles! And then he walked on down the hall!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:52
No vote. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:56
I can't stand Oasis! Love Nirvana.

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:07
Not even close for me.  There was an edge to Nirvana that I loved.

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:28
In 1994, I was a metalhead. Nirvana wasn't a heavy metal band, but they made more racket than Oasis (and they weren't as megalomaniac as Oasis).

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:37
I'm not crazy about Oasis nor Nirvana. That said, "Unplugged in New York" is an amazing album. However, it's their renditions of other people's songs that I really like.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:13
I voted Oasis...Even after their peak popular period, they put out a series of pretty fine albums that didn't make as much of an impact but were full of just some really nice tunes. I've also got good memories of a girlfriend at the time that was a massive Britpop fan, and seeing Oasis together in Melbourne was a highlight. Besides, in the 90's, Oasis and the Spice Girls made British music cool again!

Nirvana...certainly liked them when I was a kid, but now they kind of make me cringe. I always get a laugh when people go on about what a `tortured genius' Kurt Cobain was. I was in a music store a couple of mouths back that had Nirvana blaring, and after about ten minutes I thought `For f**ks sake, grow up!' God, made me feel like I'd gone back in time and regressed to my childhood.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:23
I don't particularly like Oasis but I can't stand Nirvana... Oasis then

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:24
Nirvana by so far, got all their albums and zero from Oasis. A lot of their stuff has relations to prog rock for me (e.g. the chords on songs like In Bloom), but they're just disguised with poppy melodies screamed out by Kurt and a regular 4/4 punky rhythm. Still awesome though...

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:33
Live songwriting 'chipper' genius versus dead nihilistic dick? It's a no-brainer.... Oasis (maybe the last truly great Rock band who can credibly rub shoulders with the likes of the Kinks, the Who and the Stones)

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:35
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I voted Oasis...Even after their peak popular period, they put out a series of pretty fine albums that didn't make as much of an impact but were full of just some really nice tunes. I've also got good memories of a girlfriend at the time that was a massive Britpop fan, and seeing Oasis together in Melbourne was a highlight. Besides, in the 90's, Oasis and the Spice Girls made British music cool again!

Nirvana...certainly liked them when I was a kid, but now they kind of make me cringe. I always get a laugh when people go on about what a `tortured genius' Kurt Cobain was. I was in a music store a couple of mouths back that had Nirvana blaring, and after about ten minutes I thought `For f**ks sake, grow up!' God, made me feel like I'd gone back in time and regressed to my childhood.

I was thinking about it, and yeah, Kurt was hardly a tortured soul. He was a punky music geek who wanted to make music and felt at home in the Seattle sound. He just added Pixies and *BLAM!* Nevermind. Just a bunch of really good and really sideways songs about love and anti-rebellion. Good enough to make me vote for his band.

And Oasis were a pretty cool band. Two great Britpop albums, a heck of a story when they got too big and coked up for their britches and cut whatever Be Here Now is, and then the low impact albums you mentioned are pleasant listens. Suede and Blur might've started the reignition of British popular music in the '90's, but it would be missing something vital if Oasis didn't pop up.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:52
Lear's, I probably should have just mentioned in my post that I definitely clicked with a lot of the British artists like Suede, Blur, Kula Shaker, etc much more than Nirvana.

`Be Here Now'....man I love that bloated beast of an album! A band and their egos disappearing so far up their rear ends and aiming for the stars! Actually, the tunes are really strong on that one, it's just hilarious how long each track goes on for, every one an epic that keeps building and building! But you're right, the story of it is probably more interesting than the music.

One thing about Oasis is that after all the boasting and egos, they also managed some really sweet, touching and heartfelt songs like `Don't Go Away', `Stop Crying Your Heart Out' and `Songbird'.

Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:58
^ Oh yeah. Britpop was filled to the brim with good stuff. Any other big Britpop band vs. Nirvana and I'd have to think for awhile about my choice. And Oasis certainly created touching stuff, I just haven't held them in quite the same regard as the others much as I like 'em. Personal preference. Still get down to "Supersonic", my first Oasis song, and a lot of their big hits. And never hated Be Here Now.

And I actually take a strange fascination to having to turn my stereo down a couple of pegs when I put on an Oasis album due to their mild brickwalling. Tongue

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 17:42
If Dave Grohl had written all the songs and sung them instead of Cobain, I'd probably prefer Nirvana. But I like The Foo Fighters even more.

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail. But I much prefer his High Flying Birds.

As for Oasis and Nirvana, they're equally awful.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 17:59
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail.

hahahha.  You get the Micky post of the day for that one dude.

Nirvana for me man... helped immensely by the 'legend' aspect of ..umm..  Cobain's untimely passing. 
They never got a chance to overstay their welcome, and go U2 or Pearl Jam and utterly become overexposed and lose whatever initial enjoyment listeners got... and what they did put out was highly energetic, fun, and most importantly of all... vindicated my own fashion tastes going back 20 years before grunge of having 7 different flannel shirts for each day of the week.  It was fun to see Flannel in style. LOL  Even better to see the fad pass now I can wear them with pride again.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:41
Nirvana

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 21:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail.

hahahha.  You get the Micky post of the day for that one dude.

Nirvana for me man... helped immensely by the 'legend' aspect of ..umm..  Cobain's untimely passing. 
They never got a chance to overstay their welcome, and go U2 or Pearl Jam and utterly become overexposed and lose whatever initial enjoyment listeners got... and what they did put out was highly energetic, fun, and most importantly of all... vindicated my own fashion tastes going back 20 years before grunge of having 7 different flannel shirts for each day of the week.  It was fun to see Flannel in style. LOL  Even better to see the fad pass now I can wear them with pride again.
Unfortunately for you it's back in style again. Tongue

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 21:58
Nirvana I guess, but I really don't like either much.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 22:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Nirvana I guess, but I really don't like either much.
+1

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:36
Just watched the video for "In Bloom" for the first time.  Amusing.

Like Nirvana.  Don't care for the little Oasis I've heard.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 05:04
I hate Oasis, I love Nirvana

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:20
Oasis.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:25
neither resonate with me much, but I prefer Nirvana

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:33
I've never liked Oasis, but there are a few Nirvana songs that I really like. Especially 'Heart-Shaped Box', love that one.

Posted By: MS studio
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:11
I guess that Nirvana and the reason is simple and common for many people I think. I have listened to Nirvana a lot when I was a kid, so I have the sentiment... 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 28 2015 at 01:57
I feel I should vote Oasis as they dragged British pop/rock music out of the gutter of plastic overproduced nonsense that was littering the charts. They weren't the only ones though but they did seem to lead the movement. Noel Gallacher also admitted a fondness for Pink Floyd and The Wall that helps me warm to him a little. However I also remember Paul McCartney when presented with an Oasis song saying 'this sounds familiar' much to Noel's annoyanceLOL

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 06:51
Oasis for me. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 09:18
Oasis made two good albums then regurgitated the same formula for the rest of their turgid, predicatble career. I also think Liam Gallagher is a talentless c**k.

Nirvana made two ok albums and one good one, before Cobain tragically died. I guess the boys from Seattle get my vote.

I was never a huge fan of either.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 14:44
Not really a fan of either! Oasis were the best out of the Brit-pop bands and enlivened and rocked up the mainstream 90s pop scene and their Beatles influence was refreshing to start with - but after a couple of albums they got in a rut they never got out of. The Gallaghers are a bit of a pain in the media over here, though.

Nirvana and the grunge movement refreshed the hair rock era and their better songs have lasted well - but again, not a long legacy due to Kurt's passing, sadly. They obviously have by far the greater legacy worldwide so that has to swing it.

Has anyone ever done a Slade v Sweet v T Rex post/poll? The battle of the Brit glam rockers! Now that's worthy of a punt on progarchives! 😉

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 21:57
Nirvana

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 08 2017 at 09:23
I don't know why but a lot of Prog Rock guys don't generally like Oasis. Contrary to the popular opinion, I do. Yes, the band did use lots of moon in june rhymes and they did have simple songs. But I think most of the Liam sung anthems (the Noel ones I can't stand) are quite nice. Songs like: Champagne Supernova and I'm Outta Time. Great chords and clever arrangements. Also, I'm a huge fan of Liam Gallagher's voice. The out-of-tune-ness and the "lazy accent" are charming in a way IMO. Liam's solo - As You Were is good too. Chinatown and For What It's Worth to me are the standout tracks.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: November 08 2017 at 17:03
Considering I've not listened to either for decades, and am unconcerned if I never hear them again, I suppose Nirvana.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk