Print Page | Close Window

Which was the first real concept LP: SP or DOFP?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101134
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 13:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which was the first real concept LP: SP or DOFP?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Which was the first real concept LP: SP or DOFP?
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 11:29
Which 1967 album represents a real concept album to you? Sgt. Pepper's surrogate band performing unrelated songs after the first three tracks, or Days of Future Passed which tried to link the events that make up a day in someone's life with an orchestral score placed between the songs and bookended with poetry?

Replies:
Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 11:58
Many think that SPLHCB was a concept album and the band's (Paul's) original intent was a series of connected songs by a fictitious band but the finished product was really neither.
I think it's obvious that DOFP was intended to be and was written/recorded as one continuous story.

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:00
Days Of Future Passed. Sergent Pepper is NOT a concept album. Sgt Pepper's reprise is the finale of the fictitious live of the band, but there's A Day In The Life After. And many songs are unrelated. Days Of Future Passed have the whole concept of the day so it wins. But I prefer Sgt Pepper's in term of music.

-------------

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:04
Which was the first vaguely-a-concept concept album?

Dust Bowl Ballads  by Woody Guthrie (1940)
Come Fly With Me by Frank Sinatra (1958)

Obviously DOFP is the first concept album.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Mista-Gordie
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:12
DoFP as a pretty more solid concept than "Sgt. Pepper's", which was probably not intended to follow a concept from start to finish.

Posted By: Wakeman's Birotron
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:13
I also have to say DoFP, as before that there were many albums out there including a slight concept, or structured around an overall idea (Zappa's "Freak Out", The Kinks' "Face to Face AND of course "Sgt. Pepper's"), but Days of Future's Passed is the very first concept album that would pave the way for the rest to come.

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:14
^I'm going to say that Dust Bowl Ballads was the first true concept album, ever, given it's era and topic.

Woody Guthrie was simply ahead of his time in more ways than one.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:15
Sgt. Pepper's unrelated songs after the first three tracks, and you have to ask?

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:16
^I'm not every media source that says it is. Please redirect your question.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I'm not every media source that says it is. Please redirect your question.

Sgt. Pepper's unrelated songs after the first three tracks , and you have to ask?

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:28
^It would be nice to see you try to impress me with something constructive, for a change, but I'm a little old to believe in miracles.

-------------

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:30
what was the first concept song!!

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:31

^It would be nice to see you try to impress me with something constructive, for a change, but I'm a little old to believe in miracles.

Okay, here goes. Stop it, already!

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:32
^Agreed. Move on.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:45
Well, I only know very little about Woody Guthrie, only a few songs a not a single whole album. He'd be a total stranger to me if not for his influence on Bob Dylan. I'll sure give it a listen though.

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:50
^Cool. But please keep in mind that this album contains turn of the century American folk songs, as their base, and will feel quite antiquated.

-------------

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:54
Well, Sgt Pepper was intended to be a live concert of the fictional band, but DOFP had a much stronger concept that you can easily hear. Gotta be THe Moodies

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 13:12
Like everyone else, I go with Days.  McCartney wanted Sgt. Peppers to be a concept, but the band quickly abandoned the project and we got a mix of an unfulfilled project with various songs.  Could this be one of the first signs of the tensions that eventually broke them up?  The Beatles were always about the songs anyway, and a whole concept album was something they had a very difficult time with.  The concept of Days may be a simple one, the passing of the times of day, but they pursued it successfully.  Both are classic five-star albums.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 13:17
Days of Future Passed.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:09
The Moodies had the much more ironclad concept, so another vote there, but I can see what loose remnants of the Lonely Hearts Club Band concept ended up on the finished product. "A Day In The Life" would have to be the lonely hearts in the audience going back out into the world, their daily lives, while the rest of the record was this really experimental and trippy house band who were doing their very damnedest to take the poor souls on a musical journey, to forget about life for awhile.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:20
Days

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:47
really? LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 15:53
Really! Not one single Beatles obsessed fan yet! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:20

I'm kind of a Beatles obsessed fan myself, but still I'd never give them credit for things they never did. I think their overall influence is often overrated.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:24
I think the 1st concept album was actually Freak Out! 1966

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:27
^Shocked

Ok, that will be the next poll!

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:32
Do you need a poll to figure 1966 comes before 1967?

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:33
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Do you need a poll to figure 1966 comes before 1967?

hahhaha Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:36
I think concept albums are overratedSmileTongueWink

*runs for cover and dons flameproof suit*

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:36

Which came first: 1966 Or 1967?

Vote: () 1966.

Vote: () 1967.

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:39
^Must be a tough question. No votes.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:41

Which came first: 1966 Or 1967?

Vote: () 1966.

Vote: () 1967.

1967 of course  ... anything prior to Sgt Peppers doesn't count LOL That album changed rock music forever Clap

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:44
^I love ya, man!
Is that Freedom Rock I hear? turn it up, man! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:45
hahha.. Hell yeah... I still catch myself miming that old commercial with them two hippies.. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I think concept albums are overratedSmileTongueWink

*runs for cover and dons flameproof suit*

go away troll LOL this is my street corner .. my territory you are trying to take. Remember.. you have more 'likes' here than I do. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:51
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney" rel="nofollow - Paul McCartney  regarded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as The Beatles' Freak Out! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_Out!#cite_note-32" rel="nofollow - [32]  However, Zappa criticized the Beatles, as he felt they were "only in it for the money". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_Out!#cite_note-33" rel="nofollow - [33]

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:09
classic!!!

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:09
I guess you mean 'first prog concept album' (because otherwise others like the musicals West Side Story or Hair were earlier concept albums, not to mention classical themed albums as Holst's The Planets or all the Operas).
And Days Of Future Past is not a prog-rock album in my book (a couple of orchestrations and recurrent themes do not make prog-rock, otherwise the aformentioned musicals would be prog-rock albums as they had also both). So you have my answer.

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I guess you mean 'first prog concept album' (because otherwise others like the musicals West Side Story or Hair were earlier concept albums, not to mention classical themed albums as Holst's The Planets or all the Operas).
And Days Of Future Past is not a prog-rock album in my book (a couple of orchestrations and recurrent themes do not make prog-rock, otherwise the aformentioned musicals would be prog-rock albums as they had also both). So you have my answer.

funny - i was going to mention musical soundtracks - but that's kind of cheating

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:18
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Like everyone else, I go with Days.  McCartney wanted Sgt. Peppers to be a concept, but the band quickly abandoned the project and we got a mix of an unfulfilled project with various songs.  Could this be one of the first signs of the tensions that eventually broke them up?  The Beatles were always about the songs anyway, and a whole concept album was something they had a very difficult time with.  The concept of Days may be a simple one, the passing of the times of day, but they pursued it successfully.  Both are classic five-star albums.
I like this post in particular. I always felt that SPLHCB was at least the start of Lennon's disinterest in the group and also felt  that tensions actually surfaced after the debacle with the Maharishi in India, as was widely reported. Deep thinking as usual, Mr. Progosopher.

Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:19
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Yes, Gerard. Prog albums.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 19:37
Without picking nits from the prog-rock holy bible's definition of progressive canon, I would say DoFP. Sgt. Pepper has the album cover, 2 songs where the theme recurs and a third that is introduced as a Sgt. Pepper associate, Billy Shears (A Little Help from My Friends). Other than that, the songs on Pepper are not unified in any way, whether stylistically or lyrically. Not even an allusion thrown in to loosely link them.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: January 29 2015 at 20:31
i vote DoFP because it's basically an orchestral soundtrack to a normal day of this world; Sgt. Pepper had an initial concept but was abandoned right from the get go before it was even thought up of by Macca. so, the Moody Blues got this one I'm afraid.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 01:31
Donovan - Season of the Witch

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:17
Sometimes one may feel obliged to vote in favour of Days of Future Passed. This is such an occasion...

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:38
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Which was the first vaguely-a-concept concept album?

Dust Bowl Ballads  by Woody Guthrie (1940)
Come Fly With Me by Frank Sinatra (1958)

Obviously DOFP is the first concept album.

I would give a chance to Carmina Burana

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:50
As others have said, Sgt Pepper is not a concept album. It was going to be (there was talk of a concept about life in Liverpool, hence Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane which were originally going to be on the album) but The Beatles (mainly Lennon, I believe) lost interest in it.
Therefore there is only one possible answer here.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 14:12
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Still more conceptual than Sgt. Pepper, I think)

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 20:03
Answering the question literally, it should be noted that Nirvana's Story of Simon Simopath was released a month before DOFP and is, without doubt, a concept album.

Since we are supposed to be talking about prog rock on this site then the likes of Vivaldi and West Side story would not qualify (though if Miles Davis or Pentangle count as rock then I suppose anything can).

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 17:10
Freak Out

Date Posted: January 31 2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I think the 1st concept album was actually Freak Out! 1966

^Shocked

Ok, that will be the next poll!
Sorry, didn't see this.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 03 2015 at 20:58

The Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 12:26
Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

I'm kind of a Beatles obsessed fan myself, but still I'd never give them credit for things they never did. I think their overall influence is often overrated.

Wow. Quite an outlier view of the Beatles' influence. Most everyone else would say it could hardly be overrated: musicians, critics, and fans.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 13:14
In terms of a concept album, Sgt. Pepper was a great idea but a failure in the end and the Moodies have an obvious edge on this one. But musically, there will never be a better album than the Beatles masterpiece. Not even CTTE or SEBTP

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 13:53
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

Wow. Quite an outlier view of the Beatles' influence. Most everyone else would say it could hardly be overrated: musicians, critics, and fans.

I'm not deying their importance at all. In fact, they were arguably the most influential of all rock bands. That being said, I do think that a lot of fans and critics tend to exaggerate their importance by saying, by example, that they created Hard Rock with Helter Skelter or that Sgt Pepper's was the first concept album.

Posted By: progpositivity
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 18:40
I submit Brian Wilson's "Pet Sounds" as the first art-rock concept album.  OK, technically it is a Beach Boys album and the rest of the guys did contribute to some extent.  But there is no denying that Brian was its true progenitor, is there?

Please, if you will, allow me at least a few moments to explain myself before you shout me down...  The albums 'progressive' nature can be hard for modern ears to detect.  It may sound less than remarkable and noteworthy at first.  But one must approach it with ears tuned to the context of its time in order to understand its progressive nature.   To a much lesser extent, I find this to be true of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".  When teenagers hear that album, I have to explain what a sonic "difference maker" it was, how incredibly it "stood out" from the soundscape of popular recorded music at the time.  Some of the innovative ways sounds were used musically in DSotM are now rather commonplace across multiple genres of very popular music.

And if the progressive musical nature of the Pet Sounds album is elusive, the manner in which it qualifies as a unified whole (concept) album is doubly so.  But that doesn't mean that it was any less uniquely and conceptually bound together at the time of its release.

Although it is true that Brian himself didn't see it as a collection of songs intended to tell a linear story, within the context of where rock and roll albums were at that time, he did intend it to be viewed as a unified conceptual artistic statement from start to finish, a cohesive unit, an inter-related collection of miniature sonic art pieces, each worthy of exhibition together (with absolutely no filler and no throwaways).

It was an entire album to be held together not by a single plotline like the day in the life of an average man... nor was it to be held together by a simplistic motif like every song being about water or love... 

Rather it was to be a collection of sonic gems integrally interconnected conceptually by a systematic approach to exploring relational themes in lyrics, using the studio as a complex instrument, expanding the instrumentation and tonal color used in popular rock music, and the introduction of unconventional vocal harmonies and atypical chord progressions, etc.

This would be the album to prod Paul McCartney to strive for the songs to be conceptually interrelated and perhaps even for John Lennon and George Martin to increasingly paint sounds with a wider variety of psych tonal colors on Sgt. Peppers. 

As usual, if the Beatles weren't the first to the party, they were certainly early adopters whose attendance heralded the subsequent rush of arriving multitudes (many of whom probably mistakenly thought the Beatles were the hosts of the party in the first place).

So Sgt. Peppers both reflected and paved the way (popularized) the concept of "art rock", rock music to listen to seriously, and very obviously hinted toward how very "hip" it would soon become to create "concept albums".

Since Pet Sounds wasn't an available choice, I'll select its closest companion.  Sgt. Peppers.

OK.  Thanks for waiting.  You may begin 'shouting me down' now.  Wink

-------------
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com

Posted By: jacksiedanny
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 19:09
Freakout is not prog. Zappa's ghost will haunt you for  intimating this.

Days Of Future Passed  was released Nov '67

ZODIAC- COSMIC SOUNDS   , "psychrock" concept lp  was released May '67

Hayward has come clear that the LA session men lp (including big names like Mort Garson,Hal Blaine & Paul Beaver) was a direct influence on Days Of Future Passed.

The instrumental on side one of "Are You Sitting Comfortably?" lp is a direct lift from Zodiac lp.

Black Sabbath, East of Eden and Writing On The Wall all "borrowed" from Zodiac.

Zodiac lp is legendary.
It is quite telling that no one on this thread brought it up.

Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 19:27
Did I say Freak Out was prog? Or did you perhaps misread what I said?

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 19:53
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

I submit Brian Wilson's "Pet Sounds" as the first art-rock concept album. 

What exactly is the "concept" of Pet Sounds?

OK.  Thanks for waiting.  You may begin 'shouting me down' now.  Wink

No shouting, I just do not at all see any sort of theme or concept or interrelated sound that ties the album together. This does not in any way detract from the album or its status as a great release, it just does not make it a "concept" in the same way Days of Future Past is (and the same way Sgt. Pepper is not a concept as I stated earlier).

S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things, now that is a concept album, and so is The Who Sell Out (nominally, at least).

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 20:14
It took a bit of digging but I now see NIRVANA Simon Simopath twee baroque popsike lp was released Oct '67.

Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 21:22

My two cents would be that Pet Sounds doesn't quite cut it as an out-and-out concept album, but that what musical and emotional uniformity there is on the record comes close, and I agree with the conclusions of most musicologists that the album did much to open the door to full on concept albums in pop and rock, and within a year even.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 23:39
Originally posted by jacksiedanny jacksiedanny wrote:

It took a bit of digging but I now see NIRVANA Simon Simopath twee baroque popsike lp was released Oct '67.

You could have saved yourself some trouble by reading the rest of this thread.  I pointed this out on page 3.

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 08:10
I know.
You should be humbled that I confirmed it.

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 08:46

Freakout is not prog. Zappa's ghost will haunt you for  intimating this.
Freak Out is Prog because it fits the PA definition at large and the RIO/Avant genre specifically. I always called it Art Rock before coming to PA. However, If Zappa is rejected as Prog, then there are several whole genres that would have to be eliminated by logical implication.

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 09:03
Zappa himself rejected it as being progressive rock. (I believe it angered him to have freak Out associated in any way.) Much of Freak Out is just novelty music. I did a track by track evaluation somewhere on the net .

GO AWAY!

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 09:53
oh, a new genre.......novelty music

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:14
Here is one of the best:

NEIL'S HEAVY CONCEPT ALBUM

From a member of the UK comedy series, The Young Ones

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:09

Zappa himself rejected it as being progressive rock. (I believe it angered him to have freak Out associated in any way.)

Don't know what that proves, since Van der Graaf Generator also rejects the label.

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 19:20
Yeah but Zappa probably only rejected it as being progressive rock because that genre label designation sorta' freaked him out. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 19:52
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

What exactly is the "concept" of Pet Sounds?

A bit of a stretch?  Perhaps.  It appears you will think so.  In any event, here goes.  I've italicized the paragraph below which explains the manner in which I considered Pet Sounds to be a concept album of sorts.

Pet Sounds was an entire album held together not by a single plotline like the day in the life of an average man... nor was it to be held together by a simplistic motif like every song being about water or love...  Rather it was a collection of sonic gems integrally interconnected conceptually by a systematic approach to exploring relational themes in lyrics, using the studio as a complex instrument, expanding the instrumentation and tonal color used in popular rock music, and the introduction of unconventional vocal harmonies and atypical chord progressions, etc.

So Pet Sounds introduced many people to the very concept of the rock album as a synergistic vehicle (with the whole album experience being greater than the sum of the individual song experiences), one which showcased rock and roll music as art.  With this concept, Pet Sounds set the stage for the Beatles to release Sgt. Pepper which further set the stage for a plethora of conceptual art rock albums to ensue.  

But I do understand your perspective.  If one limits themselves to a more strict (and commonly used) definition for 'concept album', one which has a specific story line, recurring characters, etc., then Pet Sounds doesn't qualify as a concept album. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk