Print Page | Close Window

John Lennon right or wrong?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101820
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 12:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Lennon right or wrong?
Posted By: deafmoon
Subject: John Lennon right or wrong?
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:35
This topic was recently brought up again in America, so I am asking your thoughts on this...
Was it 'cool or uncool'  when John included Yoko into the Beatles band meetings, song-writing, recording and rehearsals?

I for one, think Lennon was uncool to do this. John was very insecure and Yoko gave him comfort, love and security. I get that. But to bring her into the mix and start pushing her opinions into his; just turned the kettle up to boil. How long was Paul expected to go along with this? 

-------------
Deafmoon

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:43
Like wow, man! This question still is still relevant!

Aside from being a strange bird, JL was almost constantly stoned on LSD for a straight year in 1967 and was adored by millions of fans worldwide and incredibly rich to boot.

I don't believe his judgment was of the ordinary man and needs to be seen from a different perspective.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:53
Wrong. If one member of any band wants to change the dynamic of the existing band they need to discuss it with the other members. If the band says no then the requesting member should move on to a situation more in line of what they want. That being said, the rest of the band should be free to tell the requesting member that his intrusion into their dynamic is going to create a problem.

The big issue of course is once the existing band makes a change to their dynamic they run the risk of losing what was unique about them and therefore diminish the popularity or output of the band.

I have no doubt that Yoko was instrumental in supporting John's creative endeavours and some of his solo stuff show that. I was never a fan of Yoko's stuff but I do think she was, in some manner, good for John.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Like wow, man! This question still is still relevant!

Aside from being a strange bird, JL was almost constantly stoned on LSD for a straight year in 1967 and was adored by millions of fans worldwide and incredibly rich to boot.

I don't believe his judgment was of the ordinary man and needs to be seen from a different perspective.

Well, if you have to hide in hotel rooms for several years just so insane fans don't pull your hair out as a relic, it tends to change your point of view.

John was miserable without Yoko and very happy with her. The most satisfying time of his life was when he lived in semi-retirement in New York with Yoko and their son. I don't have any problem with his choices, because they were his choices, not mine.

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"? Their styles had diverged drastically at the point that The Beatles broke up. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:06
^Lennon got the fame, fortune and adoration he craved and subsequently could not handle.

But as I stated, he was not anymore a mere mortal than Elvis was, and it's silly to hold him to conventional thought.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:24
Wrong without the agreement of the rest of the band. One guy in my band brought his Uncle along to our last gig and gave him a mike to sing backing vocals without asking the rest of us. Out of order really.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:54
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

This topic was recently brought up again in America, so I am asking your thoughts on this...
Was it 'cool or uncool'  when John included Yoko into the Beatles band meetings, song-writing, recording and rehearsals?

I for one, think Lennon was uncool to do this. John was very insecure and Yoko gave him comfort, love and security. I get that. But to bring her into the mix and start pushing her opinions into his; just turned the kettle up to boil. How long was Paul expected to go along with this? 

I think The Beatles were done by the time Yoko came into play. They became too scary big, also live performances the band did not enjoy to perform as they could not even hear what they were playing due to all the shouting of the audience. Paul always wanted to keep the band together, Lennon and the rest of the band were no longer interested but one cannot blame Yoko either because Lennon was his own person.  

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:51
As far as the original "cool or uncool" question goes, it was very uncool of John to bring Yoko into
the inner circle of the band. 
I have seen pictures of the boys in the studio sitting in a circle with acoustic guitars and obviously 
working out songs. Yoko is in a chair next to John and is leaning forward talking to the band. 
But I don't think it was John as much as it was Yoko herself that put her into the situation. 
John always had "mother issues" and Yoko was an older woman that was somewhat controlling.
I think it was easy for her to put herself in the picture and justify it by claiming to be "sticking up" 
for John.

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:00
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

As far as the original "cool or uncool" question goes, it was very uncool of John to bring Yoko into
the inner circle of the band. 
I have seen pictures of the boys in the studio sitting in a circle with acoustic guitars and obviously 
working out songs. Yoko is in a chair next to John and is leaning forward talking to the band. 
But I don't think it was John as much as it was Yoko herself that put her into the situation. 
John always had "mother issues" and Yoko was an older woman that was somewhat controlling.
I think it was easy for her to put herself in the picture and justify it by claiming to be "sticking up" 
for John.
It's John's fault, not Yoko even if I really wish they did not take naked pictures of both. Front and back both awful wish I had not seen those ugh bah.
Bottom line, John Lennon has always been a leader and no one could ever dictate him or influence him to do what HE WOULD NOT WANT TO DO. Big smile HUG Hug

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:33
Hi Kati
Yes, it was John's fault which is what I said at the beginning of my post.
I emphasized it by saying "very" uncool. Smile

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:36

Hi Kati
Yes read that indeed Smile very uncool, big hug to you, TeleStrat Hug

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:36
When you take that much LSD it's really no one's fault but your own for taking that acid. LSD opens up neural passageways and it allows for your mind to be rewritten. It very easily could have just been John taking a bunch and then Yoko manipulating him and rewiring him to make him think that he needed her.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

When you take that much LSD it's really no one's fault but your own for taking that acid. LSD opens up neural passageways and it allows for your mind to be rewritten. It very easily could have just been John taking a bunch and then Yoko manipulating him and rewiring him to make him think that he needed her.

Smurph!!!!! I am so happy to hear from you again!!! Hug At the time I have no idea what they were on although LOL  prior to this when the Beatles band was whole, the moms thought Paul is the good boy and Lennon the bad boy but this was quite the opposite Wink appearance's do deceive although Paul has always been sweet natured. More Hug  

Date Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Hi Kati
Yes read that indeed Smile very uncool, big hug to you, TeleStrat Hug
Thank you, old guys like me always appreciate a big hug.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:59

A band is a team. "We Are Team!" (lol) ..Say for example you form a band with a friend, other members join, and the unit becomes family over a period of 5 years, traveling the road, writing together, in and out of the studio, etc...and now suddenly this person has appeared in the studio and is the wife/girlfriend of the most important vital member of the group. I question how the other 3 Beatles felt and if they thought about approaching John on their issues, (if any?), as Yoko began to voice her opinions. Maybe the other 3 members felt that she was not part of their team or the devotion and hard work put into writing with John Lennon for years that she..surely did no justice to , realistically, musically, or even socially. She was an Avant-Garde artist and her viewpoints could have derived from a free spirited point of view, while The Beatles had to a large degree..fixed grooves . People who sit in the studio and say nothing distract musicians and people who constantly voice their opinions in the studio are obviously not leaving the composition to the composer.

Did you ever consider how many times David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Nick Mason have been "put on the spot" and hounded with just LOADS of questions about Syd Barrett? Interviews, fans..A to Z and years before the release of Dark Side Of The Moon. With those kind of pressures from the outside world, I assume that Pink Floyd would want the studio for themselves only. As a rule , bringing someone into the studio does not work or play well with others due to the nature of the business. Ultimately musicians will feel uncomfortable knowing that this person is observing them creating art. Art is very private and is the reason why creative musicians treat newcomers like outlanders. Some male musicians in the past have brought their girlfriends to studio rehearsals with intentions of spending more time with them than required and because they are in "La, La Land" and feel they are a vital key member of the band, it will be accepted with open arms by everyone IN the band. There are several reactions to think of. One in particular is the feeling that your best friend is slinging something foul into your face. Some foul situation of dictatorship channeled through the stranger or outlander in the studio. You can also easily react to the ignorance being displayed here ..which indicates that your friend , (possibly unknowingly), is taking advantage of you and the other members by assuming that you will all suck it up. 

Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:06
I recall how David's girlfriend Jeanine nearly ended Spinal Tap. That was almost a tragedy.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:11
Yoko is da bomb! If only she'd been part of 'Rubber Soul'!!!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:13

I like the argument between Jeanine and the manager. "Well, I'm not going to manage the band with her just because she's your girlfriend"

Date Posted: March 31 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I like the argument between Jeanine and the manager. "Well, I'm not going to manage the band with her just because she's your girlfriend"

I like the coordinated outfits she designed while listening to the band played in "Dubly". LOL

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

John was miserable without Yoko and very happy with her. The most satisfying time of his life was when he lived in semi-retirement in New York with Yoko and their son. I don't have any problem with his choices, because they were his choices, not mine.

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"? Their styles had diverged drastically at the point that The Beatles broke up. 

Thank you ... I find it sad when people criticize the one you love. Like saying they don't know what that is. but I really think, in some ways, that Yoko was able to "ground" him and make him understand what music could do, that the Beatles had lost to a song or two.

And I agree with granny music, after "Band on the Run".

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 10:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yoko is da bomb! If only she'd been part of 'Rubber Soul'!!!
yep true indeed, ditto yes she was! I just wish I could get that picture of her and Lennon standing naked  (back and front) out of my mind Confused

Posted By: Lafayette Assburn
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 11:43

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"?

Whoah!

I dare you to say that at Hoffman Music Forum.
They will crucify you en mass.

By the way, Cynthia just passed on.

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 12:09
Originally posted by Lafayette Assburn Lafayette Assburn wrote:

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"?

Whoah!

The Dark Elf, Confused
You are very naughty, Paul McCartney is brilliant he wrote the most memorable and unique songs too. Inc. Helter Skelter which to me is one if the not first Metal Track ever done and I doubt one would consider it Granny music Wink. I will not go further into discussion here but ConfusedShockedConfused Singer. song writer just brilliant really to me! Clap and now back to Confused

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 12:43
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

Cool to whom? me, you, any of the three other beatles? I don't know.
Did John, the three other beatles, or anyone else include Yoko? I don't know.
Was she really part of the 'meetings. song-writing, recording and rehearsals'? She was in the studio from Hey Bulldog and on, I think.
Was John really insecure? I don't know, but I don't think so.
Did Yoko give him comfort? Yes! I think so (- until the guitar soli on the Abbey Road medley?)
'I get that'? well, I don't.
Pushing her opinions into his? don't know - what do you mean....
Turned tyhe kettle up to boil? I don't know, but I think - well know - it already was close to the boiling point
How long was Paul expected to go along with this? don't know, but what about the others?

Anyway, was it cool? I think it was at the moment, given the (band) culture at the time - depending on how you define cool.

I think Yoko thought it was cool http://www.feelnumb.com/2015/03/22/amazing-photos-from-the-beatles-last-recording-sessions/#lightbox/1/

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 12:58

Whoah!

The Dark Elf, Confused
You are very naughty, Paul McCartney is brilliant he wrote the most memorable and unique songs too. Inc. Helter Skelter which to me is one if the not first Metal Track ever done and I doubt one would consider it Granny music Wink. I will not go further into discussion here but ConfusedShockedConfused Singer. song writer just brilliant really to me! Clap and now back to Confused

Regarding McCartney's granny music, I am always reminded of the Lennon song "How Do You Sleep?" from the Imagine album (even more humorously, with George Harrison playing lead guitar):

A pretty face may last a year 
or two,
but pretty soon they'll see
what you can do.
The sound you make is muzak
to my ears --
You must have learned
something all those years.
How do you sleep?
Ah, how do you sleep at night?

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 13:28
^ Yeah, pretty childhish.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 13:56
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Yeah, pretty childhish.

Hmmm...considering the trash McCartney offered afterwards (Silly Love Songs, Wonderful Christmas Time, Ebony and Ivory, The Girl is Mine, Say, Say , Say, etc.), one might say Lennon was prophetic regarding Macca's muzak.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:06
The good old debate but honestly, I don't care.

All a matter of taste, as always.

(what's wrong with silly love songs? *scratching head*)    

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 14:16

You're right, of course, all a matter of taste (or lack thereof Wink).

But if you look at the vast compendium of McCartney music, one has to regard his lyrics as bordering on the infantile, or, at least, simply ignoring word meanings and stringing nonsense together.

So I sat in the attic, a piano up my nose,
And the wind played a dreadful cantata.
Sore was I from a crack of an enemy's hose
And the horrible sound of tomato.

Ketchup,
Soup and puree,
Don't get left behind.

Deep, Paul, very deep.

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:25

But if you look at the vast compendium of McCartney music, one has to regard his lyrics as bordering on the infantile, or, at least, simply ignoring word meanings and stringing nonsense together.

Ketchup,
Soup and puree,
Don't get left behind.

Deep, Paul, very deep.

Yet had this same pseudo surrealistic s.h.i.t.e come from Lennon (ditto Beefheart, ditto Morrison) it would have been lauded as the 'innovative and visionary signature of stream of consciousness genius'

Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye.
Crabalocker fishwife, pornographic priestess,

We mean it maaan.....Goo goo g' joob.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 17:57
yes LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 22:33
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Ketchup,
Soup and puree,
Don't get left behind.

Deep, Paul, very deep.

Yet had this same pseudo surrealistic s.h.i.t.e come from Lennon (ditto Beefheart, ditto Morrison) it would have been lauded as the 'innovative and visionary signature of stream of consciousness genius'

Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye.
Crabalocker fishwife, pornographic priestess,

We mean it maaan.....Goo goo g' joob.LOL
Yes, oobla-di oobla-da life goes on, bra, but if one looks at a greater compilation of lyrics, honey pie, that is quite a different case. Reviewing McCartney's dubious contribution to lyricism, the jailer man and sailor Sam went searching everywhere for more substantial lyrics from Paul, but jet thought that the major was a lady suffragette; ergo, the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie.

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2015 at 23:52
I Loooooooove you...

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 04:04

Yes, oobla-di oobla-da life goes on, bra, but if one looks at a greater compilation of lyrics, honey pie, that is quite a different case. Reviewing McCartney's dubious contribution to lyricism, the jailer man and sailor Sam went searching everywhere for more substantial lyrics from Paul, but jet thought that the major was a lady suffragette; ergo, the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie.

Rather than string together a collection of inane McCartney lyrics (who we both agree had practically nothing to say, but this clearly does not suit your purposes) Why not actually offer a cogent honest argument?
I'll set the ball rolling (tiny steps wee beige pixie) e.g.

I believe that Lennon's lyrics were deeper, more profound and will continue to resonate for generations to come (read BETTER*) than McCartney's because:

1 - he's dead
2 - he's not Paul
3 - through no fault of his own, a botched electro shock therapy session rendered him a self pitying hippy t.o.s.s.e.r
4 - getting your hair cut and wearing a beret makes you a committed Marxist
5 - Only a genius or celebrity chef is allowed to write songs containing the words pilchard, onion, cornflake, semolina and marshmallow
6 - many of his lyrics do not make any conventional narrative sense so they are weird and weird is hip, so by virtue of it being impossible to actually make a formal mistake when writing free association gibberish, they must be good (and his biographers say so)
7 - the nude photo that accompanied the Two Virgins album scotched any subsequent career in Porn
8 - he's dead

All caustic ribaldry aside, Lennon has written several lyrics that I think are quite brilliant, off the top of my head say, Norwegian Wood, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Nowhere Man and I'm So Tired
He's also not been averse to creating more conventionally beautiful melodic songs where the lyrics share the same naive hippy trite sentimentality of Macca, say Happy Christmas: War is Over, Imagine, Woman etc

For the sake of clarity (solely for your benefit) I think Lennon's lyrics are '*better' (see above, terms and conditions apply) than McCartney's but not by the sort of considerable distance as is routinely inferred. How hard is that to understand?Confused

-------------

Posted By: deafmoon
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 05:58
Thank you to all those who took the time to think about it and respond. Now, I think I will play some Walls and Bridges album. I miss John Lennon. 
Regards,
Lou

-------------
Deafmoon

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 06:08
I'm not a massive Beatles lover, I only have a few of their albums.
Don't know the ins-and-outs behind the scenes.
I've never liked anything Lennon did post-Beatles, Harrison did some interesting things along the way, Ringo isn't an exciting drummer (at least he's better than Charlie Watts......), and McCartney did some very good things throughout his life after that band.
I haven't a clue how Yoko affected the band chemistry. I think they would've folded either way when they did. John was neither right or wrong in my eyes........
(Pointless post, but thought I'd put my 2 cents-worth in)

Posted By: Artpop
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 10:53
'Mind Games' is the only album by Lennon I can listen to. I always thought it was on par with Wings best stuff... 

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:20

Ketchup,
Soup and puree,
Don't get left behind.

Deep, Paul, very deep.

It always amazes me that Paul bashers conveniently forget the lyrics to Eleanor Rigby or Let it Be.

Very Strange. (To quote Paul.)

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:25
Paul writes music to make his mom smile.
And I`m not talking just `When Im 64...wotsit``

He is lost in the 50s.

It`s embarrassing.

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:29
Its very puzzling to me:
I REALLY tried with Paul`s solo lps - did so recently. (Got about 6 titles free from my freebie source)
After `Ram` they are basically unlistenable - with the exception of the new one which isnt bad at all.

Same goes for Paul Simon or Garfunkel solos. Listening to all these, you can hardly credit the absolute brilliance of lps like `Bookends``- all of S&G`s lp output,actually.

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 12:01
I only have one or two early McCartney albums but I did see the band during the Wings Over America tour
in the mid seventies.
It was a great concert and everything sounded good from beginning to encore.
Midway through the show Paul did an impressive Beatles segment with just him and an acoustic guitar with
the rest of the stage dark.
The very next day I went out and bought the three LP live album.

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 12:36

Paul writes music to make his mom smile.
And I`m not talking just `When Im 64...wotsit``

He is lost in the 50s.

It`s embarrassing.

Welcome aboard, Lasbu, I hope you will enjoy the show

Posted By: Artpop
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 14:52
McCartney naysayers need to pick-up the book 'The Unknown Paul McCartney and the Avant Garde' by Ian Peel. It's the best book I've read on the man, and shows he was the more experimental of the Fab 4 and certainly more than Lennon. A great read and show's Macca is much more than silly love songs. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 15:24
You're Mother Should Know is a wonderful song.
My Brave Face isn't

Date Posted: April 04 2015 at 15:47
McCartney II is supposed to be Paul at his most experimental - at least that is the hype I heard.
Hearing this I actually spent a whole $8 on a pristine copy. ("II" is not that easy to find hereabouts.)

Big disappointment. Far from exptal. (But then again, I understand the 2cd set(??) has more.)

Speaking of exptal diddling, ever hear  moog pioneer, Bernie Kraus' take on Harrison?
You always hear what a****les Lennon & McCartney were in real life, but not George.

You should read what Kraus had to say about him.

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 07:08
Around Easter 1970: Paul has had enough of Yoko and announces the death of The Beatles and the resurrection of Paul, the solo artist.

Conclusion: John was wrong.

'Christ you know it aint easy....crucify me...'

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 08:12
Paul McCartney wrote Helter Skelter, arguably the first metal song ever written.
The Beatles - Helter Skelter-HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbY_oFHqdgs" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbY_oFHqdgs
not a mom nor dad song.

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 08:20
to all who have no idea or clue plus have the audacity to diss Paul McCartney, you might also want to know he wrote this track in 1973, as you obviously will go ha! Yes, Guns n Roses made a cover of this track Pinch 
Paul McCartney Live and Let Die  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ&index=116&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPB0XJheppVe6ZIcpMm9ZrA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ&index=116&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPB0XJheppVe6ZIcpMm9ZrA

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 08:47

to all who have no idea or clue plus have the audacity to diss Paul McCartney, you might also want to know he wrote this track in 1973, as you obviously will go ha! Yes, Guns n Roses made a cover of this track Pinch 
Paul McCartney Live and Let Die  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ&index=116&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPB0XJheppVe6ZIcpMm9ZrA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdsIj4pAzQ&index=116&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPB0XJheppVe6ZIcpMm9ZrA

What does McCartney winning a very lucrative Bond theme song franchise have to do with his ability to write innovative and ground breaking music?. No-one is arguing that he hasn't written some brilliant music. I like the song 'Live and Let Die' but the lyrics are Hollywood mandated drivel and the music, albeit excellent, is deliberately aimed at those cinema goers gauche enough to actually believe that tempo and key changes within the one song were hitherto entirely unprecedented.Confused

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 08:53

What does McCartney winning a very lucrative Bond theme song franchise have to do with his ability to write innovative and ground breaking music?. I like the song 'Live and Let Die' but the lyrics are Hollywood mandated drivel and the music, albeit excellent, is deliberately aimed at those cinema goers gauche enough to actually believe that tempo and key changes within the one song were hitherto entirely unprecedented.Confused
Fact: Sargent Pepper Lonely Hearts Club - written and composed by McCartney. A 41 piece orchestra played on this song.  The orchestra was conducted by Paul McCartney, who told them to start with the lowest note of their instruments and gradually play to the highest.Wink

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 09:13

What does McCartney winning a very lucrative Bond theme song franchise have to do with his ability to write innovative and ground breaking music?. I like the song 'Live and Let Die' but the lyrics are Hollywood mandated drivel and the music, albeit excellent, is deliberately aimed at those cinema goers gauche enough to actually believe that tempo and key changes within the one song were hitherto entirely unprecedented.Confused
Fact: Sargent Pepper Lonely Hearts Club - written and composed by McCartney. A 41 piece orchestra played on this song.  The orchestra was conducted by Paul McCartney, who told them to start with the lowest note of their instruments and gradually play to the highest.Wink

Meaning?

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 09:23

Meaning?
Nevermind Smile

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 10:01
Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:15

Notwithstanding the valdhorns, what orchestra?! Are you referring to the first 10 seconds of the song?

Nonetheless, a proto type heavy metal song.

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:29
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Notwithstanding the valdhorns, what orchestra?! Are you referring to the first 10 seconds of the song?

Nonetheless, a proto type heavy metal song.
Google it up, I hope you'll find the answer, it's probably easy to find.

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:30
^you could start listening to the f*****g song yourself

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:35

^you could start listening to the f*****g song yourself
you are obnoxious and I give up (once again) talking to you, communication is obviously not your strongest point. Now do us both a favor and let's ignore each other from now on.

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:38
^and you should stop talking about songs you obviously don't know Wacko

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 13:07
Yet another example of how Paul McCartney is bad for the environment.

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 13:39

Yet another example of how Paul McCartney is bad for the environment.
You are a very naughty Elf! Ermm

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:16
Chill pill time methinks.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:29

Chill pill time methinks.

Guldbamsen, I am so happy to see you back! Hug I hope you had the best holiday ever! Hug
The Dark Elf is usually grumpy, but he is very sweet actually and I like him and in his own grumpiness I find him very funny too LOL eventually he will give in and let me hug him  Big smileWink 

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:41
Right back atcha Sonia!

My comment wasn't really directed at the back-n-forth between you and ze lark elf, but the one with earlyprog. Anyways, seems like that is over and done with (let's hope eh).

I've had a wonderful Easter up until now thanks with far too much to eat and drink, but it's been in the company of family and other loved ones. I ate a Jesus chocolate today, which is a first for me. He tasted delicious.
I trust you've been enjoying your's as well down in Mozambique?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:55

Right back atcha Sonia!

My comment wasn't really directed at the back-n-forth between you and ze lark elf, but the one with earlyprog. Anyways, seems like that is over and done with (let's hope eh).

I've had a wonderful Easter up until now thanks with far too much to eat and drink, but it's been in the company of family and other loved ones. I ate a Jesus chocolate today, which is a first for me. He tasted delicious.
I trust you've been enjoying your's as well down in Mozambique?
mhwoaaahhhxxx!!!! Hug

No need to worry about negative vibes here between Earlyprog and I, I think we both have conformed to the fact that we annoy each other and never ever agree on anything but we are ok with that too Big smile
Hahahaha you ate Jesus hahaha!!! LOL I Never tried him before Big smile 
Mozambique here was nice and quiet for once I did not bring any work home and this felt really good Approve
Another massive huge hug to you, Guldbamsen HugHug

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:59
Cool, I'm glad you guys can agree on something then:-)

Chocolate Jesus eh? Soooo strange but good.

Bringing work home? In the holidays? Damn....I'm glad you decided to refrain from that. Clever girl.
I'm off now - I hear my sis yelling something about a dessert. Cheers:-)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 15:02

Chocolate Jesus eh? Soooo strange but good.

Bringing work home? In the holidays? Damn....I'm glad you decided to refrain from that. Clever girl.
I'm off now - I hear my sis yelling something about a dessert. Cheers:-)
Go and have (yum) fun! I am so happy you are back, back, back again yay!!!!!!! Bounce, bounce, happyyyy bounce! Big smile See you later!!!! hugs Hug

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 15:05

Kati is taking the liberty of talking on behalf of me. No agreement without two parties agreeing.

But i'm cool Smile

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 15:07

Kati is taking the liberty of talking on behalf of me. No agreement without two parties agreeing.

But i'm cool Smile
I am psychic.

Posted By: admireArt
Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 15:35
His life, his call, the Beatles anyway had reached their peak and he was the 'visionary artist'  in that ensemble! The rest is history

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 16:29
The dessert was brilliant. Coffee flavoured mousse with chocolate shavings.
No sign of any Jesus shaped candy though, which I personally considered quite the let down considering my most recent dessert experience.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 05 2015 at 16:46

No sign of any Jesus shaped candy though, which I personally considered quite the let down considering my most recent dessert experience.

You are not helping my diet here, Guldbamsen LOL
Yummy that sounds really good! I also want to try Jesus too. hahaha somehow this reminds of The Big Lebowski movie lol hahaha LOLBig smileHug

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:32

Yummy that sounds really good! I also want to try Jesus too. hahaha somehow this reminds of The Big Lebowski movie lol hahaha LOLBig smileHug

When playing strip poker, make sure you stay on topic.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: April 17 2015 at 20:18
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

When playing strip poker, make sure you stay on topic.
haha Green Shield, you read my signature LOL
All I said is within topic, I am just expanding it a little Wink
Big smile (multi-tasking it's easy really)
hugHug 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 14 2015 at 09:52

McCartney II is supposed to be Paul at his most experimental - at least that is the hype I heard.
Hearing this I actually spent a whole $8 on a pristine copy. ("II" is not that easy to find hereabouts.)

Big disappointment. Far from exptal. (But then again, I understand the 2cd set(??) has more.)

Speaking of exptal diddling, ever hear  moog pioneer, Bernie Kraus' take on Harrison?
You always hear what a****les Lennon & McCartney were in real life, but not George.

You should read what Kraus had to say about him.

...and you can (link below). Though you may not want or like to do so. I know I didn't.

http://astronautapinguim.blogspot.co.nz/2012/12/five-questions-to-bernie-krause.html

I'll just stick to the granny metal instead.Wink

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:32
You live with straights who tell you, you was king
Jump when your momma tell you anything
The only thing you done was Yesterday
And since you're gone you're Just Another Day
How can you sleep at night?

That John - Paul rift sure got ugly, eh? 

Paul's Beatles output was excellent.....some of the most interesting, precious and melodic music in rock history.  The Beatles were a collective - four minds working as one with John and Paul as the lead writers.  Neither Paul nor John could ever muster the magic that they had as partners.....yin-yang, sweet-sour, peanut butter-jelly - as a team they seemed to fill in the spaces between them to make a single functioning unit, especially from 1960-67.  Neither ever recovered from the split.....both may have had some fine singles or even full albums, but they never had that continuity again - something was always missing.  Paul fared well sales-wise and John wrote a few anthems, but nothing ever soared to Beatles heights. 

So, to answer the OP - John had his share of blame in the matter, but I think a unit that was that tight needed to come unwound sooner or later.  The Yoko business just led to more friction, which ultimately led to the dissolution of the band.  There were other factors, of course - Paul taking the fore a bit more with John's mind elsewhere; Ringo had quit the band during the White Album recording 'cause he felt he wasn't getting his due; George quit for a time but also came back for the Abbey Road recordings......

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 13 2016 at 22:23
Everyone involved could've handled it better--  Yoko, for one, should've realized it would be a bad move and not gotten involved; The band could have been a bit more patient with her & John; And Mr. Lennon was (or should've been) insightful enough to see it coming and avoided the whole fiasco whether the band had broken up then or later.  

On the other hand it was 1969, everyone was pretty messed up.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: April 15 2016 at 10:28
Familiarity breeds contempt.....and when a "single functioning unit" stays so tight for so long, then a split is bound to come.  Take the Everly Brothers for example.....they wouldn't even speak to each other off stage - separate dressing rooms, separate transport.....the only time they even looked at each other was on stage.  That after so many years as a "single functioning unit".  Even brothers come unglued when under the spotlight for so long......and the Beatles, for all intent, were brothers. 

I don't know how much of a factor drugs and alcohol played, but it seems none of the Beatles were ever Keith Richards-level junkies - they may have partook.....and it may have played a part, but I think they died from a thousand paper cuts rather than an A-bomb.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk