Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102215
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 23:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: a modern classic prog album
Posted By: justin4950834-2
Subject: a modern classic prog album
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:08
Do you think there will ever be a prog album released in the future that will break new ground, be very highly rated, be considered a classic, appear in the top ranks along with close to the edge, foxtrot, thick as a brick, dark side of the moon ect. I'm not talking about just really good modern prog album theres many of those, I'm talking about like if you look at every top prog album list out there, this album would be in the top ten.

In short, will there ever be another Close to the Edge.

Replies:
Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:10
Well, it seems like IQ's 'The Road of Bones' has become a new classic. I know I think it's an amazing album. Maybe not in a top 10 list, but I have seen it gather a high amount of praise.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:48
Only the test of time will enable us classify a new album as a classic. Hug

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:25
^ true

and we don't have a crystal ball to predict the future

I suppose though if you could pull together the leading talents in modern prog (and the fringes) to engineer something like this then maybe someone like Dave Kerzner or <yawn> Steven Wilson could 'direct' it.

Wilson had his go with Raven , but Kerzner has recently released an album called New World which suggests he could be the James Cameron of the prog world. He was also involved in the superb Sound Of Contact album which to my mind is a modern classic ( but not recognised as such admittedly).

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Do you think there will ever be a prog album released in the future that will break new ground, be very highly rated, be considered a classic, appear in the top ranks along with close to the edge, foxtrot, thick as a brick, dark side of the moon ect. I'm not talking about just really good modern prog album theres many of those, I'm talking about like if you look at every top prog album list out there, this album would be in the top ten.

In short, hey nonny Nope

It seems unrealistic to expect that an album recorded now could be considered to inhabit the same rarefied atmosphere that facilitated Prog appearing between 1968 and 1974 (ish) some 40 years later, yet somehow still break new ground? The conflation of events that gave rise to this rare and fleeting phenomenon celebrated from this website are far too many and disparate to list here but they certainly cannot be reverse engineered or replicated etc
There are probably scores of artists worldwide who continue to explore and advance genres like Baroque, Doo Wop, Folk, Trad Jazz, Blues, Reggae etc but it's unlikely that any of their recordings will be considered 'pivotal' or essential to the development of the original genre. It's the ongoing and far reaching influence of the likes of Close to the Edge that is important, not if anyone will make another one. I mean you don't ask a historian to read yer palm now do you?Wink

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:04
I agree with the furry rodent, even if it seems that once in a full moon we get an album from Swilson that gets überrated and literally flies to the top. It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had. It definitely won't sell as many copies nor reach as many ears through the radio.......but in a chart situation? Sure....but then again that means nothing, especially if 75% of the raters downloaded the album illegally.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I agree with the furry rodent, even if it seems that once in a full moon we get an album from Swilson that gets überrated and literally flies to the top. It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had. It definitely won't sell as many copies nor reach as many ears through the radio.......but in a chart situation? Sure....but then again that means nothing, especially if 75% of the raters downloaded the album illegally.
hahahaha!!!! Furry Rodent, hahaha!!!! Guldbansem, that's so funny hahaha!!! LOL awww ExittheLemming the furry is officially the most fluffy cutie snuffy too funny adorable cute here on P.A. Hug
hahahaha, still laughing here and awww cute hahaha xxxxx LOL

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ true

and we don't have a crystal ball to predict the future

I suppose though if you could pull together the leading talents in modern prog (and the fringes) to engineer something like this then maybe someone like Dave Kerzner or <yawn> Steven Wilson could 'direct' it.

Wilson had his go with Raven , but Kerzner has recently released an album called New World which suggests he could be the James Cameron of the prog world. He was also involved in the superb Sound Of Contact album which to my mind is a modern classic ( but not recognised as such admittedly).

hahahaha RichardH, I too have some difficulty getting into Steven Wilson's albums, especially Blackfield band, however he is a genius producer and master of sound this must be said and he has a massive impressive resume of bands he remixed or mastered, their music, just to name a few (not albums coz those are many)
1. King Crimson
2. Caravan
3. Jethro Tull
4. ELP
5. hAWKWIND
6. yes
7. Gentle Giant
among so many others, truth be told he expanded the dynamic range of those bands COMPARED TO THEIR LATER previous releases Thumbs UpApprove
A massive hug to you, RichardH Hug 

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:06
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Exactly. Bravo Kati Clap

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:26

It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had

Honestly I see no reason for thinking this way. Most of the modern prog is quite far from what Yes or Genesis were about, bands like Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Anathema etc are more based on alternative rock than on classic prog. Speaking more widely, we call a lot of bands 'prog' not because their music is directly rooted in Yes legacy, but because it changes the rock basis in similar manner with classic prog bands.

Moreover, prog always needs to fuse genres. When a new genre appears, it becomes involved in prog world quite soon. Thus, any modern or future prog act, based on modern or future genres, easily can maintain cult status for decades and infulence a broad list of artists.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had

Honestly I see no reason for thinking this way. Most of the modern prog is quite far from what Yes or Genesis were about, bands like Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Anathema etc are more based on alternative rock than on classic prog. Speaking more widely, we call a lot of bands 'prog' not because their music is directly rooted in Yes legacy, but because it changes the rock basis in similar manner with classic prog bands.

Moreover, prog always needs to fuse genres. When a new genre appears, it becomes involved in prog world quite soon. Thus, any modern or future prog act, based on modern or future genres, easily can maintain cult status for decades and infulence a broad list of artists.
Exactomundo Clap
By the way, there are a number of candidates for that "new CttE". For example, IQ's Road of Bones is already mentioned; also, in prog metal sub-genre (which wasn't exist in 1972 when CttE was released), there are the masterpieces that are already (great) classics of Prog, e.g.  Images and Words  and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory  by Dream Theater.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:47
I don't really like modern prog, especially prog coming from the north. I've noticed that the only albums I find interesting today come from Argentina, Italy, Spain or Mexico. Maybe that the revolution is in the air in that other hemisphere Big smile

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 05:09
^ must be the ghost of El Cid Barrett haunting the place.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 05:17
Maybe

Aquarelle &amp; plume de canard avec chapeau mexicain et Illustration Print Poncho et Matching résine collier sur chaîne vert

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:17
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maybe

Aquarelle &amp;amp; plume de canard avec chapeau mexicain et Illustration Print Poncho et Matching résine collier sur chaîne vert

Please be careful hellogoodbye! the ghosts are fearful almost as little lemmings!  LOL

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:46
LOL

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:50
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Please be careful hellogoodbye! the ghosts are fearful almost as little lemmings!  LOL

Hellogoodbye has nothing to be afraid of. The internet traffic cops are closing in Pjer Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Hellogoodbye has nothing to be afraid of. The internet traffic cops are closing in Pjer Stern Smile

LOL

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:23

And that is a fact.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:40
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

And that is a fact.
Indeed. If there has been one in the past few years, I suspect it's something by Big Big Train.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:46

That's not what I meant. Back in the 70s prog was in and hot and there was a much larger fan base, whereas we today have trouble finding fans enough to go around. There are just too many acts to chose from
I was not referring to the actual music or the possibility of something being produced with just as much punch and wow factor as the old classics - no, merely commenting on the fact that we, as progheads or whatever you wish to call it, today are a rather small niche audience. 

For an album to rival say Close to the Edge it would not only need to be genuinely progressive (wow I've never heard anything like that before-kinda progressive), it additionally needs the support and will of the fans to listen to something that is completely new....just like most young prog fans did oh so long ago. It's about open-mindedness towards new music, and I honestly don't see that in today's audience - not even on here (although there are some). It's all about mentality and approach for musicians and fans alike.....that and then like I've mentioned countless of times before: we need a brand new 'the 60s' for that to ever happen.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:19
^I see your point now. The lack of open-mindedness is a common problem anywhere.

There is a lot of truly original music since 80s and until now but it's mostly underground and holds a small fanbase. But still I hope that those original but little-popular artists will gain at least some cult followingSmile

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:29

(...)  I've mentioned countless of times before: we need a brand new 'the 60s' for that to ever happen.

It was so clever, Guldbamsen! And, what you need to proclaim "new sixties"?
Is it the street riots as it was in the sixties?

Is it Cold War and the fear of WW3 maybe?

How you will recognize that "new sixties" when it comes, I'm just curious? LOL

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:34
^I believe he was speaking of music revolution rather than political cataclysms.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:46
Ermm 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:53

^I believe he was speaking of music revolution rather than political cataclysms.

Yes but also about everything else. Simply comparing similar looking crises is just lazy imo.....and you can't really compare them either. Nothing is new anymore in 2015. We've more or less seen it all. Comparing that to the sixties is plain wrong. The civil rights movement with Martin Luther King was unprecedented. People had never ever experienced anything like it - just like the Vietnam war. Suddenly you could see people getting slaughtered on your TV whilst eating supper -in colour no less. That was also a first. Hell the Americans even went to the moon. There is no way of replicating that almost worldwide sense of adventure in today's world. Oh and what about the JFK murder - or the first ever nuclear crises? 
I could go on, but I figure you get the gist of what I'm sayingSmile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 09:14

That music revolution you mentioned was just one of the products of general atmosphere of the sixties when the Cold War and the fear of WW3 was dominant. However, I doubt that he has a clear image about what he was speaking about when he mentioned the "new sixties". I think that he just said "we need a "new sixties" and, self-satisfied, he's thinking that he said something great. Actually, the sixties will never repeat in a form that will be similar enough to the guys as Guldbamsen as well that he might say "here come new sixties".

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 09:15

That's not what I meant. Back in the 70s prog was in and hot and there was a much larger fan base, whereas we today have trouble finding fans enough to go around. There are just too many acts to chose from
I was not referring to the actual music or the possibility of something being produced with just as much punch and wow factor as the old classics - no, merely commenting on the fact that we, as progheads or whatever you wish to call it, today are a rather small niche audience. 

For an album to rival say Close to the Edge it would not only need to be genuinely progressive (wow I've never heard anything like that before-kinda progressive), it additionally needs the support and will of the fans to listen to something that is completely new....just like most young prog fans did oh so long ago. It's about open-mindedness towards new music, and I honestly don't see that in today's audience - not even on here (although there are some). It's all about mentality and approach for musicians and fans alike.....that and then like I've mentioned countless of times before: we need a brand new 'the 60s' for that to ever happen.

Spot on what I was thinking....For me it's a matter of volume of listeners today as compared to then and who actually listens to prog today. Back in the CTTE days, generic rock fans listened to Yes, the fanbase was gigantic compared to today's prog rock fanbase. We are a very very small niche group and the music is so unheard of outside our little world I don't think it would ever reach the stratosphere of CTTE, TAAB or SEBTP...meaning across many genres of music or music polls.

Let's take for example the IQ album mentioned, which I too believe it is brilliant and worthy of that long standing high poll position. Outside our world it has no meaning at all and would never cross into the generic rock world like the grand fathers of prog albums do.

Also our music takes time to appreciate, you truly have to sit and listen to understand the music, lyrics the vibe of what an IQ and others are trying to convey....Folks this is not background music, so let's face it today's music environment is about quick, easy listen, no fussing over long music passages, noodling or suites heck not even concept albums...simply the public has no time for this kind of music. YouTube, Spotify and streaming, listening to individual tracks is what most people do now, buying an album and sitting down and soaking it all in seems a thing of the past...unfortunately.

Also with so many artists releasing music monthly, new stuff all the time I don't see how any one album could be so popular to dethrone one of the top 5 prog rock albums, even on this site. I could see SW The Raven being in the top 10 after say the next 10-15 yrs with volume rating..but it seems to me the top 5 we have now will always be there.

We all need to be this guy......LOL

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 09:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Spot on what I was thinking....For me it's a matter of volume of listeners today as compared to then and who actually listens to prog today. Back in the CTTE days, generic rock fans listened to Yes, the fanbase was gigantic compared to today's prog rock fanbase. We are a very very small niche group and the music is so unheard of outside our little world I don't think it would ever reach the stratosphere of CTTE, TAAB or SEBTP...meaning across many genres of music or music polls.

Pretty much agreed.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 09:27
Each era will produce albums that are regarded by that generation as being classic albums, but whether those same albums will achieve universal acclaim across the generations or at some unspecified time in the future is another matter. That requires something to be exceptional on practically every conceivable level - just being a good album is simply not enough, just as being popular or selling vast quantities is also not enough.

Classic albums are never slow-burners and they seldom, if ever took, time to appreciate. They were instantly recognisable as being Classic from the moment they were released even when it took the general public a while to latch onto that.

[So, no IQ The Road Of Bones is not such an album - if it achieves comparable status with Script for a Jester's Tear or Misplaced Childhood (which it won't) that still will not make it a classic album]

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

For example, Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory is already and without a doubt a classic album of Prog in the rank of the major albums from the seventies, including CttE.

One thing will never happen again for sure; in 70s, (almost) all of rock fans were buying everything what comes new to a local record store in the form of rock, whatever it is; actually, at that time, belonging to some particular sub-genre of Rock was waaaaay less important than now, when every sub-genre is a "ghetto" per se. Thus, if one imagines that this ancient "I buy everything" 'ideology' will happen again, he's wrong. Indeed, that legend of "huge prog fans base in 70s" comes from the fact that rock fans were buy everything. A real prog fan base never  was that big. And so many "prog fans" who happily accepted that bullsh*t punk / post-punk music is the best possible proove of that.
However, our beloved genre will always give to us the classic albums as already mentioned Dream Theater's masterpiece from 90s, actually released in the genre (progressive metal) that did not exist in seventies nor the prog fans at that time could have even imagine that the genre as progressive metal will appear to them one day.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

[So, no IQ The Road Of Bones is not such an album - if it achieves comparable status with Script for a Jester's Tear or Misplaced Childhood (which it won't) that still will not make it a classic album]

I see it ranked much higher then those albums on multiple lists, including ours.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:17

For example, Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory is already and without a doubt a classic album of Prog in the rank of the major albums from the seventies, including CttE.
No it doesn't. It's a good album and some will say it is even a great album but it is only a classic album of its genre, along with Operation Mindcrime and perhaps a couple of other Prog Metal albums. But rank alongside the major albums of any other genre or generation it most certainly does not.

One thing will never happen again for sure; in 70s, (almost) all of rock fans were buying everything what comes new to a local record store in the form of rock, whatever it is; actually, at that time, belonging to some particular sub-genre of Rock was waaaaay less important than now, when every sub-genre is a "ghetto" per se.
That did not happen even on a micro-scale let alone the macro-scale you are claiming. 

If this was even remotely the case then every 70s rock band would have had high-grossing albums and that it blatantly and demonstrably untrue. 

How anyone can make-up nonsense like this beggar's belief. 

Thus, if one imagines that this ancient "I buy everything" 'ideology' will happen again, he's wrong.
Just as you are it seems.

However, our beloved genre will always give to us the classic albums as already mentioned Dream Theater's masterpiece from 90s, actually released in the genre (progressive metal) that did not exist in seventies nor the prog fans at that time could have even imagine that the genre as progressive metal will appear to them one day.
Totally irrelevant and wrong in the same breath.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I see it ranked much higher then those albums on multiple lists, including ours.
Chart ranking (especially for a recently released album) does not make it a classic album.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:28

Chart ranking (especially for a recently released album) does not make it a classic album.

Are you saying that an album can't become a classic unless it has a huge influence on bands to come? That makes sense to me.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:36

Are you saying that an album can't become a classic unless it has a huge influence on bands to come? That makes sense to me.
Partly. There are many factors that go towards an album being called a Classic and that could be one of them.

However, the current chart-ranking of any recently released album is artificially high because the ratings have not normalised after the initial surge of positive reviews.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:43
Well for influence to take hold it may be many, many years before future musicians say "The Raven or Road of Bones was a huge influence on my music....". If influence is an attribute to becoming a classic album, then I think these albums will miss that mark. Again, only because I don't think artists in the future will look upon The Raven or RoB like CTTE or SEBtP are looked upon now.

I guess I just don't see that happening......As far as polls go, who knows. Will be cool to see what the PA Top 10 looks like in 10-20 yrs, assuming PA is still around.

-------------

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:47
In agreement with a few previous posters: to these ears, Dimsionaut by Sound Of Contact and English Electric Full Power by Big Big Train may become classics, they are both outstanding albums.  EEFP has a rating on this site of 4.88 from 94 reviews, which is quite staggering.  I guess as a Boxset/compilation of sorts, it does not get included in studio album lists, but to me it is a studio album (because I didn't get the separate albums...)

Many seem to think that Hand.Cannot.Erase. is also something quite special.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:58
erm...are you Welsh?Pinch

-------------

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:00
Radiohead's OK Computer is often mentioned as a prog album. I wouldn't call them a prog band, but I might see the argument for that album and maybe Kid A being prog. It's not prog like we're used to, but obviously Radiohead is one of the most popular and revered bands since the 90s and those albums top the charts of best albums everywhere. They sound like Can and Pink Floyd so why not. Again, we can't be expecting the exact same kind of sound that will be labeled as prog, it has to be something relatively new. 

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:00
Re classic albums of PROG, a real question for all of extremely Anglo-centric and, say, "nostalgic" personalities here, as i could see them in so many discussions like this @PA forum, would be :
*are only English Symphonic Prog [and related] albums from 70s deserved to be called the classic albums?*

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:19
Good question.  Just because the movement, as it were, has been Anglo-centric, does not mean to say that it needs to remain so.  I confess this is my bias, primarily due to being unilingual and prefering the hope of understanding the vocals I listen to.  Instrumental pieces tend not to be my favorites.  I also find myself avoiding the RPI category.  Is the music there stylistically different from other categories, beyond first language, or could it be mixed in with symphonic, eclectic, heavy prog, etc?

Could you name any bands that have made a really strong impression that are outside of the Anglo-centric realm?

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:37
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Re classic albums of PROG, a real question for all of extremely Anglo-centric and, say, "nostalgic" personalities here, as i could see them in so many discussions like this @PA forum, would be :
*are only English Symphonic Prog [and related] albums from 70s deserved to be called the classic albums?*
What evidence do you have for asking such a question? It seems to me that you have formed an unsubstantiated hypothesis and are now trying to be selective in the data you use to validate it. This is called cherry picking and it is universally regarded as being "a bad thing".

-------------
What?

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 14:47
Deloused in the Comatorium

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 14:48
Also anything that breaks new ground and is a modern classic will be too polarizing for everyone to lavish it in their praise.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 15:18
It has a snowball's chance in hell.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 15:39
Anglo-Centric my ass...
Spend less than an hour scouring the site and you'll see folks mentioning faves from Italy, France, Germany, Spain, The States and on and on.. 
The usual suspects are of course always present in the forum, mainly because they're the usual suspects hoho, but when you dig a little deeper you'll see a good portion of RPI lovers - people into the French scene, Swedish, Norwegian, German you name it. I'm fairly certain people mention these albums as classics too - I know I do.
The polls and charts have a tendency to be in favour of the British bands yes, but that's because of exposure and the fact that English tends to be a lot easier to get down than Flemish - not because of some evil crusade against music from other countries. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:17

Anglo-Centric my ass...
Spend less than an hour scouring the site and you'll see folks mentioning faves from Italy, France, Germany, Spain, The States and on and on.. 
The usual suspects are of course always present in the forum, mainly because they're the usual suspects hoho, but when you dig a little deeper you'll see a good portion of RPI lovers - people into the French scene, Swedish, Norwegian, German you name it. I'm fairly certain people mention these albums as classics too - I know I do.
The polls and charts have a tendency to be in favour of the British bands yes, but that's because of exposure and the fact that English tends to be a lot easier to get down than Flemish - not because of some evil crusade against music from other countries. 

But my favorite music isn't regarded as all classics so there must be an evil crusade against it!

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:19
Damn ninjas.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:53
I suppose anything is possible, but I also think Kati's first post is the most accurate so far.  Classics are not always recognized as such, but to soften Dean's point, they are almost always recognized as excellent albums, even if he is using the definition of the term correctly.  But a classic is one that is not only first rate or typifies a style, genre, etc. but also stands the test of time.  That is when the general consensus recognizes it.  Five star albums are being released, and will continue to be released, but whether they are true classics can only be told with time.  For a new album to be as iconic as CttE of TaaB, it would have to connect both to the artists own influences and something new that strikes wide-spread chord with people, but it won't necessarily be universally recognized.  In these days, such a phenomena is highly unlikely, but still within the realm of possibility.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 17:04

There's far too much phlegm in Flemish to let it go down easily.LOL

In reference to 70s Brit prog being the apotheosis and main influencer of the genre, there is certainly something to be said in that regard. It is what one would call a "perfect storm" of cultural, societal and musical attributes culminating in a brand of rock that many have copied or referenced, but really none have topped, not even Brit descendants 40 years on.

But this type of perfect storm is nothing new. Rock in its infancy in America, or jazz, each had such an apotheosis. Certain styles of classical music in Austria/Germany, and then again in late 19th/early 20th century Russia reached peaks that really no one can outdo, only emulate. We haven't had a new Bach or Mozart in a few hundred years. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 17:24
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yea, De-Loused in the Comatorium, released in June 2003, already is a classic album par excellence with such strong influence on numberous contamporary prog bands.

By the way, aside of great music what the classic album ought to contain, and to be well sold, and to get many serious reviews, and yet to be influential on newcomers, and so on, I think that an album artwork also must be great in the case of an album which we called classic. That's very important thing, that an artwork is somehow following the music ideas that are presented on an album. And The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium album artwork is just another nice example of that (nothing less than in the OP mentioned CttE with Roger Dean's masterpiece artwork painted with an ancient air-brush, though very modern technique at that time).

Posted By: ianj1234
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 17:58
Absolutely, yes. Prog is supposed to break grounds in music, and introduce new ideas, no matter the style, and break new ground through complex ideas/songwriting etc.

Call me crazy, but I believe we have already encountered a few new masterpieces. One album that I consider a Modern Masterpiece is Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine Biomech, which was released in 1997. Maybe a little bit early, but I truly believe that Devin's vision on that album is a vision that should live on through the ages much like many of Pink Floyd's Albums.

While I love Steven Wilson, and agree that he is masterful at crafting his sound, and style. I do personally find that alot of his work lacks a consistent direction, or vision, and is very derivative, and a little bit repetitive at times.

Neal Morse, is vaguely similar where I feel he is a master at crafting great melodies, and hooks. And I personally think that Spock's Beard's "V" is a fine work of modern progressive rock, it is also a work that is very conservative in a sense that is sounds derivative from that classics, (transatlantic, and I may even put Big Big Train in that catogory as well although they are exceptionally talented musicians, that has made some truly remarkable albums over the years such as The Underfall Yard, or English Electric.)   

I notice alot of modern musicians flirting with modern sound and prog in recent years, but in my opinion, what makes a true masterpiece really comes down to the vision of the artist. That's what makes albums like classic Genesis, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and even Nine Inch Nail's "The Downward Spiral" So Memorable.

also, I think Cultural impact has alot to do with it. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, had a Major Cultural Impact, and that I believe is part of what makes it such a big album, same goes with ELP, YES, Genesis, and even King Crimson to an extent. They were all doing things that changed british, and american culture, (more so british), they had a big impact on the world with their incredible new ideas, through sound and stage. Even Radiohead, to an extent also had a similar impact on America, their music made alot of people think.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 18:03

Yea, De-Loused in the Comatorium, released in June 2003, already is a classic album par excellence with such strong influence on numberous contamporary prog bands.

By the way, aside of great music what the classic album ought to contain, and to be well sold, and to get many serious reviews, and yet to be influential on newcomers, and so on, I think that an album artwork also must be great in the case of an album which we called classic. That's very important thing, that an artwork is somehow following the music ideas that are presented on an album. And The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium album artwork is just another nice example of that (nothing less than in the OP mentioned CttE with Roger Dean's masterpiece artwork painted with an ancient air-brush, though very modern technique at that time).

Well, you have to open up your copy of CttE to behold true masterpieces of art, IMO. The "art" on that front cover is nothing more than atrocious as far as I'm concerned.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 18:38
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Well, you have to open up your copy of CttE to behold true masterpieces of art, IMO. The "art" on that front cover is nothing more than atrocious as far as I'm concerned.
I mentioned that CttE artwork album jacket as a whole, and as an Applied Art masterpiece as well, where the artwork at front page that is great as a part of the whole Applied Art great work, i.e. CttE album jackett. For example, that's like some cover of the book of gorgeous illustrations where the illustrations are inside of the book, and where the cover is only slightly hint of what's inside.
Furthermore, the front cover of CttE is a great example of album covers that design was made (almost) only by letters, and using that legendary Yes logo for the first time.
Last but not least, Roger Dean's choice of colours at the front cover of CttE is so wonderful and also testify of the true artist.

From Wiki: 

Quote The album's sleeve was designed and illustrated by English artist  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dean_%28artist%29" rel="nofollow - Roger Dean , who had also designed the cover for Fragile (1971). It marks the first use of the Yes "bubble" logo. Some of the photography used was shot by  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Adelman" rel="nofollow - Martyn Adelman  who had played in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Syn" rel="nofollow - The Syn  with Squire. On reflection of its artwork, Dean said: "There were a couple of ideas that merged there. It was of a waterfall constantly refreshing itself, pouring from all sides of the lake, but where was the water coming from? I was looking for an image to portray that"

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 19:16

Well let's see...

The De-loused artwork was created by Storm Thorgerson after an exchange of ideas with TMV. Roger Dean's artwork for CttE has nothing to do with the album's music or its ideas, it is merely a continuation of the shattered world theme he start on Fragile and continued through to Yessongs. Tales was the first Yes album where the band had a say in the cover imagery design (and frankly it shows).

(The history of art really isn't your forte is it): The Airbrush design that is in use today was invented in the nineteenth century and its operation, design and function has not changed since that time. The company that made them back then is still making them now. Since the design is the same now as was in 1893 then a 1970s airbrush would not be called "ancient". Airbrush painting was not a "modern technique" in 1972 as there are examples of airbrush artwork from every decade of the 20th century. 

HOWEVER. 

The Close to the Edge cover was not painted with an airbrush. Roger Dean didn't even own an airbrush at that time, his first airbrushed cover was Yessongs. The CttE inner cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint (See Views by Roger Dean page 105) - he wasn't happy with the final picture and you don't have to look that closely at it to see that the masking and spraying wasn't that great. 

-------------
What?

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 21:05
Otherworldly in a beautiful way, both artwork and music: Yes and Roger Dean's music. 
They are related to each other.  That is why there has been such a long relationship
between the two. 

Ugly, cadaravish artwork and music?  (I hate being a music critic when it gets negative,
I'm just saying that is what the artwork seems to imply).   I'm sure some get a sense
of trippy power out of it. 

It seemed like classic prog was about creating a heavenly vision, more often than not.
Even Van der Graaf was on a type of spiritual crusade, even in an activist sense, like
Hammill's solo albums.   One thing that separated early Prog often from music current to it
was a general sense of spirituality.   Take it in a broad way perhaps, like waking up and 
existentialism (the end of Endless Enigma).   Prog didn't seem to just focus on the complaint.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 21:47
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Otherworldly in a beautiful way, both artwork and music: Yes and Roger Dean's music. 
They are related to each other.  That is why there has been such a long relationship
between the two.
[I've never heard Roger Dean's music Wink]

They aren't so much related to each other as associated with each other, just as Paul Whitehead is associated with Genesis, Barney Bubbles with Hawkwind and Storm Thorgerson/Hipgnosis are strongly associated with Pink Floyd although they created covers for many other bands (including Yes, Genesis and Hawkwind).

Dean created better artwork and album covers for other artists (IMO) but it was the Yes covers that made him famous.

Ugly, cadaravish artwork and music?  (I hate being a music critic when it gets negative,
I'm just saying that is what the artwork seems to imply).   I'm sure some get a sense
of trippy power out of it.
Is this referring to De-Loused in Comatorium? Neither artwork nor music are cadaver-like as far as I can tell (the clue is in the album title surely). As Storm Thorgerson stated ( http://www.rockarchive.com/the-mars-volta_photo_print_mvol001st.html" rel="nofollow - here ) the bronze head represents the album concept's protagonist in a comatose state with the shaft of light coming from his mouth representing a cry for help.

It seemed like classic prog was about creating a heavenly vision, more often than not.
Even Van der Graaf was on a type of spiritual crusade, even in an activist sense, like
Hammill's solo albums.   One thing that separated early Prog often from music current to it
was a general sense of spirituality.   Take it in a broad way perhaps, like waking up and 
existentialism (the end of Endless Enigma).   Prog didn't seem to just focus on the complaint.

Nah... I don't see anything spiritual or existential in The Endless Enigma. (It's a thinly veiled criticism of rock journalism as far as I can tell.)

-------------
What?

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:26
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Radiohead's OK Computer is often mentioned as a prog album. I wouldn't call them a prog band, but I might see the argument for that album and maybe Kid A being prog. It's not prog like we're used to, but obviously Radiohead is one of the most popular and revered bands since the 90s and those albums top the charts of best albums everywhere. They sound like Can and Pink Floyd so why not. Again, we can't be expecting the exact same kind of sound that will be labeled as prog, it has to be something relatively new. 

Spot on really

The likes of The Mars Volta have also been mentioned but I don't believe they have had the widespread appeal that Radiohead album had. After it was released people started talking about prog again.

I'm going to also push forward slightly tentatively Muse - Absolution. Now I realise that many don't consider Muse to be anything to do with prog whatsoever but then isn't the point that modern band should be trying to get to a different place and not just treading over the same ground?

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:30
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Could you name any bands that have made a really strong impression that are outside of the Anglo-centric realm?
Of course I can. There were a number of 100%PROG bands and solo artists that were released in 70s some classic albums with a really strong impression as you said, and in the same time they were outside Anglo-centric realm, e.g. Santana, Can, Le Orme, Igra Staklenih Perli, to new a few.
However, when an Anglo-centric prog fan is to think about prog in the way that only English symphonic [and related] bands from 70s are prog then 90% material of those bands that were outside of mentioned Anglo-centric realm will not sound as a prog to the ears of an Anglo-centric fan, maybe they will sound to his/her ears "proggy" at best.

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:54

between the two. 

Roger Dean said in an article that the bands often took him to the studios during recording sessions, just to catch the atmosphere of a new album and to put that atmosphere in his artwork. As he said, he avoid that as much as he could, because it was impossible to catch it at recording sessions, and yet he was boring to listen to a band's member who is to repeat his part to infinity.
Roger Dean wasnt skillful with airbrushing as some others airbrushing painters and illustrators [it was pretty dilatory technique]. However, his airbrushing skies at Yes albums are the music, and it really seems that the band and Roger Dean were / are "connected in mind".

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 03:18
The word 'classic' often refers to something that has been around for whatever (lengthy) amount of time.
'Instant' classics may fade into the mass of 'lesser' works over time.
For me, a 'modern classic Prog album' would be Magenta's 27 Club. It is easily up there with the bona fide 70's classics, as far as my perception goes. Magma's Emehntehtt Re is another. But they are few and far between.

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:26
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

OK Computer is probably one of the best possible answers if there has to be one. Pretty much universally acclaimed, appears on every best-of list imaginable, a combination of both musical ambition and popularity through perfectly capturing the zeitgeist.
Though, of course, the prog community (and Radiohead themselves) probably don't see Radiohead as typically prog enough to call it a modern prog classic, or a new CttE, or whatever. But as others have said, I don't think 'a new CttE' is a meaningful idea, so this'll do.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:47

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I mentioned that CttE artwork album jacket as a whole, and as an Applied Art masterpiece as well, where the artwork at front page that is great as a part of the whole Applied Art great work, i.e. CttE album jackett. For example, that's like some cover of the book of gorgeous illustrations where the illustrations are inside of the book, and where the cover is only slightly hint of what's inside.
Furthermore, the front cover of CttE is a great example of album covers that design was made (almost) only by letters, and using that legendary Yes logo for the first time.
Last but not least, Roger Dean's choice of colours at the front cover of CttE is so wonderful and also testify of the true artist.

From Wiki: 

Quote The album's sleeve was designed and illustrated by English artist  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dean_%28artist%29" rel="nofollow - Roger Dean , who had also designed the cover for Fragile (1971). It marks the first use of the Yes "bubble" logo. Some of the photography used was shot by  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Adelman" rel="nofollow - Martyn Adelman  who had played in  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Syn" rel="nofollow - The Syn  with Squire. On reflection of its artwork, Dean said: "There were a couple of ideas that merged there. It was of a waterfall constantly refreshing itself, pouring from all sides of the lake, but where was the water coming from? I was looking for an image to portray that"
You didn't mention the CttE album jacket as a whole, but I understood that's what you meant, and I acknowledged that by praising the art inside of the album jacket even though I don't like the front cover, didn't I?

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 05:32

between the two. 

Roger Dean said in an article that the bands often took him to the studios during recording sessions, just to catch the atmosphere of a new album and to put that atmosphere in his artwork. As he said, he avoid that as much as he could, because it was impossible to catch it at recording sessions, and yet he was boring to listen to a band's member who is to repeat his part to infinity.
Roger Dean wasnt skillful with airbrushing as some others airbrushing painters and illustrators [it was pretty dilatory technique]. However, his airbrushing skies at Yes albums are the music, and it really seems that the band and Roger Dean were / are "connected in mind".
Confused I'm getting confused as to which Serbian is responding to which post. This post seems to be replying to my replies to Svetonio and Robert. I know Svetonio has decreed never to respond to my posts but I wasn't expecting Pjer to answer on his behalf. Hey-ho.

Yes, I also read that article and in his book Views, when asked about the relationship between his pictures and the music, he says that he rarely heard the music before doing an album cover. "I cannot say that the music was ever a direct inspiration for my work."

Roger Dean was (and still is) skilful with an airbrush, but as I said - Close To The Edge is not a piece of airbrushed artwork. There are marked differences between artwork made with an airbrush and one made using cans of aerosol paint, firstly his airbrush art is done in water colour whereas the aerosol can is cellulose car enamel (acrylic aerosols that graffiti artists use are a modern invention) which is why the marbling effect you see in a lot of his early work stops once he moved over to using the airbrush. Cans are extremely difficult to control especially when working on small-scale pieces of work and that shows in the finished pieces, compare CttE with the incredible fine-touch he achieved on the Tales cover and the difference in technique is glaringly obvious.

So when you look at his actual airbrush works starting with the massive four-picture set he did for Yessongs the skill and control is as good as any other illustrator, his work doesn't show quite the same level of fine-art touch that H R Giger had but only because his style does not require it. For your information it is not a dilatory technique (aside from painstakingly cutting sheets of Frisket™ Film to mask out areas) it is actually a pretty immediate technique especially when working free-hand, therefore skies are a doddle and can be knocked out in a few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My opinions here are not just stuff I've read in a book - as a teenager in the 1970s I learnt and copied Roger Dean's methods and techniques and have produced artworks in both http://s198.photobucket.com/user/darqdean/media/helmet2a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 07:20

Close To The Edge is not a piece of airbrushed artwork. There are marked differences between artwork made with an airbrush and one made using cans of aerosol paint, firstly his airbrush art is done in water colour whereas the aerosol can is cellulose car enamel (acrylic aerosols that graffiti artists use are a modern invention) which is why the marbling effect you see in a lot of his early work
I believe you but it's not some special revelation that someone would be flattered by amazement as you probably expected, and i will explain you why. If you said that Roger Dean did do CttE front cover with aerosol car paints, it's ok, why not, but If i say that an aibrush was used at this cover of an album by Smak released in 1980.....

.....then everybody can see that effectivelly it's the same thing on that kind of covers ie that "big" difference in used technique is invisible on the final product. 

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 07:42

I believe you but it's not some special revelation that someone would be flattered by amazement as you probably expected, and i will explain you why. If you said that Roger Dean did do CttE front cover with aerosol car paints, it's ok, why not, but If i say that an aibrush was used at this cover of an album by Smak released in 1980.....

:: insert pointless cover image here ::

.....then everybody can see that effectivelly it's the same thing on that kind of covers ie that "big" difference in used technique is invisible on the final product. 

:: insert pointless cover image here :: 

Ermm

The Close to the Edge cover was not painted with an airbrush. Roger Dean didn't even own an airbrush at that time, his first airbrushed cover was Yessongs. The CttE inner cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint (See Views by Roger Dean page 105) - he wasn't happy with the final picture and you don't have to look that closely at it to see that the masking and spraying wasn't that great. 
So, you were saying?...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:11

Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Of course I can. There were a number of 100%PROG bands and solo artists that were released in 70s some classic albums with a really strong impression as you said, and in the same time they were outside Anglo-centric realm, e.g. Santana, Can, Le Orme, Igra Staklenih Perli, to new a few.
However, when an Anglo-centric prog fan is to think about prog in the way that only English symphonic [and related] bands from 70s are prog then 90% material of those bands that were outside of mentioned Anglo-centric realm will not sound as a prog to the ears of an Anglo-centric fan, maybe they will sound to his/her ears "proggy" at best.
This is a straw man argument and not very good one at that. You are still peddling this unsubstantiated hypothesis and now, since no one has taken your bait, you are inventing answers to justify your unproven opinion.

-------------
What?

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 08:52
It seems to me that things are too fractured today. Not producing a genuine classic out of this particular age may not be peculiar to Prog. It's probably true of every music genre. I don't see any wave of support for any artist/artists anywhere. Maybe I just don't get around enough.

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:03
After thinking about it, I honestly think an album being a 'classic' is all a matter of opinion. For example, I don't like many so-called 'classics' of prog. I don't like CttE, Thick as a Brick gets boring after awhile, I only like 'Dancing With the Moonlit Knight' from SEBtP, and I don't like ITCOTCK. When you think about it, it's pretty difficult to call an album you don't like a classic so that's why I think it's a matter of opinion. For example, I find AC/DC's 'Let There be Rock' album to be one of the greatest hard rock albums ever made and believe it to be a classic, but many would say 'Highway to Hell' or 'Back in Black' are classics. While I love those albums too, they didn't leave as much of an impact on me as 'Let There be Rock' did.

CttE is seen as one of if not the greatest prog album ever made, however I disagree. As far as Yes goes, I think 'Fragile' is a much better album, and it's among my favorites, so of course it leaves more of an impact on me. While it would make sense for an album to be called a classic once it has a huge influence on bands to come or something like that, there will always be people who don't like the 'classic' album. I think it's logical for different people to all have their different list of classic albums.

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 11:40

After thinking about it, I honestly think an album being a 'classic' is all a matter of opinion. For example, I don't like many so-called 'classics' of prog. I don't like CttE, Thick as a Brick gets boring after awhile, I only like 'Dancing With the Moonlit Knight' from SEBtP, and I don't like ITCOTCK. When you think about it, it's pretty difficult to call an album you don't like a classic so that's why I think it's a matter of opinion. For example, I find AC/DC's 'Let There be Rock' album to be one of the greatest hard rock albums ever made and believe it to be a classic, but many would say 'Highway to Hell' or 'Back in Black' are classics. While I love those albums too, they didn't leave as much of an impact on me as 'Let There be Rock' did.

CttE is seen as one of if not the greatest prog album ever made, however I disagree. As far as Yes goes, I think 'Fragile' is a much better album, and it's among my favorites, so of course it leaves more of an impact on me. While it would make sense for an album to be called a classic once it has a huge influence on bands to come or something like that, there will always be people who don't like the 'classic' album. I think it's logical for different people to all have their different list of classic albums.

Differences in choices of classics, I've seen, can be reflected in different groups, where the vast majority of a group will believe that such and such album is a classic or the classic from a band, while another group would have a majority disagree. Speaking of Yes, most big time progheads of course cite Close To The Edge as the crowning achievement of the band, but outside of those circles I've seen most people instead root for Fragile. Some folks here might be stunned to see how many times musicians featured on Amoeba Music's "What's In My Bag?" series picked Fragile. Perhaps, taking into account both the opinions of various progheads and outsiders, it can be said that the most quintessentially classic Yes album is in fact Fragile

-------------

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 14:43

I see it ranked much higher than those albums on multiple lists, including ours.
As much as find most things you argue with to be strenuous, this is absolutely correct. Brain Salad Surgery is almost always considered a classic. Yet it is beat by very unknown albums like Modry Efekt and Boris. The only one that could possibly be considered a classic later in my mind is The Raven (although something is telling me that Swans - To Be Kind will also be one).

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 14:50
Controlling Crowds Part IV is a class album if you do indeed class Archive as prog. 

Rajaz and OK Computer are great albums made away from the Golden Age of Prog. 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 20:00
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Differences in choices of classics, I've seen, can be reflected in different groups, where the vast majority of a group will believe that such and such album is a classic or the classic from a band, while another group would have a majority disagree. Speaking of Yes, most big time progheads of course cite Close To The Edge as the crowning achievement of the band, but outside of those circles I've seen most people instead root for Fragile. Some folks here might be stunned to see how many times musicians featured on Amoeba Music's "What's In My Bag?" series picked Fragile. Perhaps, taking into account both the opinions of various progheads and outsiders, it can be said that the most quintessentially classic Yes album is in fact Fragile
Well, on the side of the great epics like Close to the Edge  or Gates of DeliriumHeart of the Sunrise is their best song imo.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 21:28
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

It seems to me that things are too fractured today. Not producing a genuine classic out of this particular age may not be peculiar to Prog. It's probably true of every music genre. I don't see any wave of support for any artist/artists anywhere. Maybe I just don't get around enough.

Yup, for instance the popularity of Deloused has dipped greatly...to the extent that TMV got voted out against Heep on this forum.  There used to be Dream Theater threads left, right and centre on this forum; now they only get into the conversation (EVEN on the DT appreciation thread) when they have a new album.  Where are The Decemberists now; their albums were the toast of this forum at the time of their release.  My point being that the popularity of modern 'classics' peaks pretty early and they fade away from public memory rather quickly.  And it's not because they are bad vis-a-vis the classics of the 70s; it's simply that the music scene is too fragmented today and a small hardcore fanbase cannot prop up the popularity of an album for too long.  I would say Kid A was the last prog classic and something dramatic needs to happen in the prog world (and the music industry in general) for that feat to be repeated.  If Kid A is considered too weird and not 'inclusive' enough, then OK Computer but that's it.  The likes of Genesis or Yes have either not made albums in years or not made albums that enough people care about and yet they remain in the conversation practically all the time while even a band like Porcupine Tree is not much discussed any more after they stopped making new albums.  And PT did have crossover appeal; they pulled in fans who didn't otherwise care much for prog.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 22:31
 To answer your question--don't think there will be another prog album as note for note perfect as CTTE.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 02:21

Ermm

So, you were saying?...
Roger Dean used cans of car enamel paints because he didnt own yet an airbrush at that time as you read or he didn't know yet how to use that instrument on the right way as i speculated [with an aerosol can of paint it couldnt happen that, like airbrush if you dont know to handle well, begin to bleed the paint unevenly and that sh*t, this is the most important thing, cannot be fixed anymore, and all work could be destroyed in a blink of eye] but it doesnt matter actually because of his intention.
His intention was to use aerosol can enamel paint just for an effect - to blending one color to another like a smoke, or as Italians would say, to make sfumato. 
Effectively, it's the same thing if he did it with an airbrush instead of the cans of aerosol enamel paint because the difference of those techniques is invisible at the final product ie CttE album jacket. Thats what i said.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:26

Ermm

So, you were saying?...
Roger Dean used cans of car enamel paints because he didnt own yet an airbrush at that time as you read or he didn't know yet how to use that instrument on the right way as i speculated [with an aerosol can of paint it couldnt happen that, like airbrush if you dont know to handle well, begin to bleed the paint unevenly and that sh*t, this is the most important thing, cannot be fixed anymore, and all work could be destroyed in a blink of eye] but it doesnt matter actually because of his intention.
His intention was to use aerosol can enamel paint just for an effect - to blending one color to another like a smoke, or as Italians would say, to make sfumato. 
Effectively, it's the same thing if he did it with an airbrush instead of the cans of aerosol enamel paint because the difference of those techniques is invisible at the final product ie CttE album jacket. Thats what i said.
Once again: Ermm 

I said the INNER cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint. Got that? Has that sunk into your skull yet? I'm not talking about the simple two-colour blend on the front cover - that is such an arse-numbingly simple effect to do that it's not worthy of being discussed - but if you insist - no I cannot tell that CttE front cover was painted with cans of aerosol or an airbrush HOWEVER I CAN tell that that Smak cover was NOT painted with cans of aerosol paint (I also think that it could have been done better, it seems a little sloppy to me but maybe that's the effect they were going for). If you cannot see this then that really does not concern me, you would not be my first or second choice as an expert on art.

HOWEVER - I was NOT talking about the front cover I was talking about the INNER cover...

The picture on the inside of the gatefold was painted using cans of aerosol paint - the sky - the lake - the rocks - the waterfalls - the clouds & mist - the islands - all painted using cans of aerosol paint, the fine-detail and outlining was done by over-painting in ink. Got that? He didn't use aerosol cans  for "effect"; he used them to make figurative art - the Octopus cover for Gentle Giant was car enamel, as were the first two Greenslade covers, the Mowtown Scarab and Osibisa Woyaya.

It is harder to do than using an airbrush because the nozzle and the airflow cannot be adjusted nor can they be regulated, it takes great technique and ability to make even the simplest composite images using them. Roger Dean perfected his technique over many years and was exceptionally good at it, however I can tell that CttE inner cover was not painted with an airbrush. If you cannot that does not concern me.

I repeat for the umpteenth time: His first airbrushed artwork was for Yessongs - the floating islands in space ("escape") was car enamel and the rest ("arrival", "awakening", "pathways") were all airbrush, his technique on those paintings shows that he knew how to use the instrument.

I present verifiable facts and the benefit of my experience with both techniques and you answer with speculation. All this reveals is how little you know of this subject.

/edit: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Switching from aerosol cans to airbrush is actually very easy. It does not surprise me that Roger Dean's first airbrushed artwork was of a high standard. Mastering airflow and nozzle setting takes but a few practice runs to perfect, as does mixing paint to the correct consistency. What takes a while getting use to is switching from one colour to another - with cans of paint you just put down one can and pick up another, the ambidextrous can even use one in each hand (that's not difficult either) but with an airbrush you have to clean the brush thoroughly first and that takes time. I partly resolved this by buying a second airbrush and you'll see many airbrush artists will have several brushes set-up with a broad palette of colours. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yup, for instance the popularity of Deloused has dipped greatly...to the extent that TMV got voted out against Heep on this forum.  There used to be Dream Theater threads left, right and centre on this forum; now they only get into the conversation (EVEN on the DT appreciation thread) when they have a new album.  Where are The Decemberists now; their albums were the toast of this forum at the time of their release.  My point being that the popularity of modern 'classics' peaks pretty early and they fade away from public memory rather quickly.  And it's not because they are bad vis-a-vis the classics of the 70s; it's simply that the music scene is too fragmented today and a small hardcore fanbase cannot prop up the popularity of an album for too long.  I would say Kid A was the last prog classic and something dramatic needs to happen in the prog world (and the music industry in general) for that feat to be repeated.  If Kid A is considered too weird and not 'inclusive' enough, then OK Computer but that's it.  The likes of Genesis or Yes have either not made albums in years or not made albums that enough people care about and yet they remain in the conversation practically all the time while even a band like Porcupine Tree is not much discussed any more after they stopped making new albums.  And PT did have crossover appeal; they pulled in fans who didn't otherwise care much for prog.
I agree. I think outside the rarefied atmosphere of Prog OK Computer has achieved general Classic status, (Kid A less so perhaps), but it managed that in spite of being seen as Progressive Rock even in the loose sense of the word... it was probably regarded as being a "Classic" long before it was accepted as being "Prog" here.  But within the confines of what we view as being Progressive Rock the fragmentation of sub-subgenres and tastes means that the chances of finding modern albums that have wide appeal within the genre as a whole are pretty slim.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:55
I suspect one would find a lot more dissent against modern proposed classics than against the usual '70s suspects. I would only go as far as allowing for classics to be raised for particular sub-genres of prog; I really can't think of anything so fundamentally and widely acclaimed to count as a modern "prog" classic in the completely unqualified sense. In a way that's depressing, I suppose.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 06:55

Ermm

So, you were saying?...

The picture on the inside of the gatefold was painted using cans of aerosol paint - the sky - the lake - the rocks - the waterfalls - the clouds & mist - the islands - all painted using cans of aerosol paint, the fine-detail and outlining was done by over-painting in ink. Got that? He didn't use aerosol cans  for "effect"; he used them to make figurative art - the Octopus cover for Gentle Giant was car enamel, as were the first two Greenslade covers, the Mowtown Scarab and Osibisa Woyaya.

It is harder to do than using an airbrush because the nozzle and the airflow cannot be adjusted nor can they be regulated, it takes great technique and ability to make even the simplest composite images using them. Roger Dean perfected his technique over many years and was exceptionally good at it, however I can tell that CttE inner cover was not painted with an airbrush. If you cannot that does not concern me.

I repeat for the umpteenth time: His first airbrushed artwork was for Yessongs - the floating islands in space ("escape") was car enamel and the rest ("arrival", "awakening", "pathways") were all airbrush, his technique on those paintings shows that he knew how to use the instrument.

For painting "sky", "clouds" and so on, with above mentioned sfumato effect, for young Roger Dean it was easier to do it with aerosol car enamel paints because in that case the jet is already set by manufacturer. With aibrush, it's much more diffucult to do it, because the painter have to control the jet and yet to avoid bleeding of paint what often happen [what knows damn well anyone who ever have been a hobby modeler of small aicrafts that have to be painted in a camouflage colors]. But the aerosol car enamel paint is inferior because you cant use it for small details [and yet on LP jacket sized piece of paper - when you hold an album jacket of Yes done by Roger Dean, it's the real size of an original Roger Dean work on paper - it's not a wall where graffiti artists are painting their big images] and also because the paints cannot be mixed in favor to get a several shades of one color. When you prepare paint for airbrush you can make a hue, and you can painting the details but you must be very, very skillful in that, and you need a time to practice that.
That's why Roger Dean's works from 70s are combination, though magnificent, of aerosol car enamel / guache(s) done with an airbrush (his skies, clouds, haze, etc.) and  watercolors done with "normal" brushes for the small details.
BTW, Roger Dean as a young man was an industrial designer, not a painter. So he designed his floating islands, he didnt "just find" these forms while eg he was painting his visions with oil on canvas as eg Salvador Dali did.

Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:10

For painting "sky", "clouds" and so on, with above mentioned sfumato effect, for young Roger Dean it was easier to do it with aerosol car enamel paints because in that case the jet is already set by manufacturer. With aibrush, it's much more diffucult to do it, because the painter have to control the jet and yet to avoid bleeding of paint what often happen [what knows damn well anyone who ever have been a hobby modeler of small aicrafts that have to be painted in a camouflage colors]. But the aerosol car enamel paint is inferior because you cant use it for small details [and yet on LP jacket sized piece of paper - when you hold an album jacket of Yes done by Roger Dean, it's the real size of an original Roger Dean work on paper - it's not a wall where graffiti artists are painting their big images] and also because the paints cannot be mixed in favor to get a several shades of one color. When you prepare paint for airbrush you can make a hue, and you can painting the details but you must be very, very skillful in that, and you need a time to practice that.
That's why Roger Dean's works from 70s are combination, though magnificent, of aerosol car enamel / guache(s) done with an airbrush (his skies, clouds, haze, etc.) and  watercolors done with "normal" brushes for the small details.
BTW, Roger Dean as a young man was an industrial designer, not a painter. So he designed his floating islands, he didnt "just find" these forms while eg he was painting his visions with oil on canvas as eg Salvador Dali did.

I fail to see the point you are attempting to make here - you have added absolutely nothing to what I have already said. If you want to agree with me then go ahead and agree with me but this is just getting ridiculous now. 

And sorry... your playing with plastic toy models does not qualify you to discuss airbrush and aerosol can painting techniques at the level Roger Dean worked at. From what you have written here there is now little doubt in my mind that you know nothing of either technique other than what you quickly read on the internet today.

Are we finished now? Can we go back to talking about whether there is or ever will be a modern classic prog album?

-------------
What?

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 20:29
^I think the landscape will have to change. How can there be consensus on what's a classic when everyone (hyperbole alert) is listening to music through ear buds and no one buys stuff. By what social mechanism would something evolve into a classic?

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 03 2015 at 20:36

^I think the landscape will have to change. How can there be consensus on what's a classic when everyone (hyperbole alert) is listening to music through ear buds and no one buys stuff. By what social mechanism would something evolve into a classic?

Well said--agree 100%. It's a new world out there.

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 02:18
Seems to me that for a record to be a classic:
People who  aren't music fans have to be aware of it one (or more) decades after its release.

I don't get the complaints about modern technology. Doesn't stuff like spotify make it easier to track popularity? A real modern classic shall eventually be played by radio stations after it has become popular on free services like spotify.

OK Computer, maybe images and words?

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 04:43
As 'prog' is a term retrospectively applied to a style of rock music from the early to mid 1970s, then no, there will never be a modern prog classic. The question is paradoxical. Can anyone name an album from the last 30 years that can be regarded as a prog classic in the same sense that 'Close to the Edge' is? I suspect not.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 08:58
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

As 'prog' is a term retrospectively applied to a style of rock music from the early to mid 1970s

If you believe it goes this way, then none of RIO, prog metal or modern prog albums would be 'prog'. For me, this is nothing but superstition. Ther are myriads of albums released after 1977 which are no less 'prog' than CttE (and perhaps even more 'prog' than any Yes album). Univers Zero is enough to mention.

You can view 70's prog as a kind of subgenre (call it, for example, 'classic prog' or so), but it doesn't give you a right to call other prog subgenres not being 'prog'. The very structure of ProgArchives imples that.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: 429diablo
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:25
I think the potential is there for a modern classic in prog.  It's just a matter of a band pulling an eclectic variety of influences together into a singular, identifiable sound that transcends genre.  It's a height that most bands never reach, and a status that should not be just given out to anything that comes along.

If a modern classic comes around though, I certainly don't think it's going to sound anything like Yes, Genesis, Camel, Gentle Giant, or even King Crimson and VDGG.  Nor would i want it to necessarily.  But it will change the way people look at the music in general, if it truly is a classic. 

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 13:19
Every decade is likely to produce some album that will eventually be considered as a classic, and since Prog is a long-living scene there will be some albums from each decade that will in time be considered classic Prog albums, but they will not be similar to CttE.

I guess that a true classic must have some element of novelty, something that sets it apart from what had already been done and from what its contemporary bands are doing. So modern classics must be coming from modern Prog subgenres, and likely not from retro-Prog.

I guess that albums like The Wall, Script From A Jester's Tear (or perhaps Misplaced Childhood), Images And Words, Hybris, De-Loused or Still Life are already considered "classics" by many Prog fans. So I have no doubt that some albums from the 2000's and the current decade will be considered classics within 15 or 20 years. In a way comparable to CttE? That I do not know...

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Every decade is likely to produce some album that will eventually be considered as a classic, and since Prog is a long-living scene there will be some albums from each decade that will in time be considered classic Prog albums, but they will not be similar to CttE.

Ok, I'll take the bait. 

In my mind, classic means that it has to have impact beyond the true believers of the genre. If it doesn't do that, we're just arguing amongst ourselves (which we're doing) about things that in the greater scheme don't really have impact. One could argue, I guess, that greater impact will be gleaned by the unwashed masses at some point in the indeterminate future, but I don't buy it. 

What album raises to the level of "classic" from the 90's and the 00's? From the 90's I think one could make the case that something like OK Computer is a classic. And on this point, we argue mightly whether or not this is even Prog. From the 00's what is your choice? I can't think of any highly rated PA album from the 00's that has had impact beyond our small group. Personally, I know of no one who has ever heard anything released in the last 15 years that was ranked highly on PA, and my guess is outside of our small group, I never will.

The days of thinking our Prog heroes are creating masterworks that will be embraced by a large audience and recognized as "classics" are over.

In the end, does this bother me. Not really. We should enjoy what we have, support the artists who are willing to create something we love, that is well outside the mainstream, and know worry about whether or not we are supporting music that was created for the future.

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 09:02
From a different perspective, when was the last "landmark" jazz album? Anyone? How about the last truly great classical composition? Has anyone really made a blues album in the last 30-40 years that stands out from anything accomplished previously?

So why would one think that a "prog-rock" album would suddenly fall from the sky today and eclipse albums like Close to the Edge or Dark Side of the Moon or Thick as a Brick? We are still referring to and revering those albums 40+ years after their release. These were huge hits then and people (not just crusty old farts) are still buying remasters/remixes/new digital technologies of these albums today.

I won't be here 40 years from now (the insurance actuarial tables work against me), but it seems to me music in general and how music is listened to has become so fragmented, so iTune-single-downloadable, that the album format and long compositions are fading fast from public consciousness. It may not seem so on our little prog island, where we stack our CDs in formidable walls like a bastion of lost hope in a sea of musical sputum; but the island is sinking, foundering in a compositional climate change with an inevitability that is evident. To me, at least.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

From a different perspective, when was the last "landmark" jazz album? Anyone? How about the last truly great classical composition? Has anyone really made a blues album in the last 30-40 years that stands out from anything accomplished previously?

So why would one think that a "prog-rock" album would suddenly fall from the sky today and eclipse albums like Close to the Edge or Dark Side of the Moon or Thick as a Brick? We are still referring to and revering those albums 40+ years after their release. These were huge hits then and people (not just crusty old farts) are still buying remasters/remixes/new digital technologies of these albums today.

I won't be here 40 years from now (the insurance actuarial tables work against me), but it seems to me music in general and how music is listened to has become so fragmented, so iTune-single-downloadable, that the album format and long compositions are fading fast from public consciousness. It may not seem so on our little prog island, where we stack our CDs in formidable walls like a bastion of lost hope in a sea of musical sputum; but the island is sinking, foundering in a compositional climate change with an inevitability that is evident. To me, at least.

Dark Elf said it much better than I did. I couldn't agree more...

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:58
To those of us that were not there to experience the 60s, 70s, or 80s, albums like Deloused in the Comatorium, California by Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times,  eclipse those very records you guys speak of.

But this is most likely because those speak more closely to me. Those records represent what is going through my head. Those records completely changed music for me. And they are far different from the albums you guys are speaking about, so I believe they could have a similar wave of influence on music in the future.

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 11:15

To those of us that were not there to experience the 60s, 70s, or 80s, albums like Deloused in the Comatorium, California by Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times,  eclipse those very records you guys speak of.

But this is most likely because those speak more closely to me. Those records represent what is going through my head. Those records completely changed music for me. And they are far different from the albums you guys are speaking about, so I believe they could have a similar wave of influence on music in the future.
Ah, no. They may be important to you personally but that does not make them Classic albums per se. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:10
But maybe Thick As A Brick doesn't mean anything to me and I don't see it as a classic... Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? Not classics.

So what you're saying is that my opinion doesn't actually matter and since generally everyone else decides what is a classic album there's no chance that Anything else will ever be a classic because everyone else says so? Haha

Im quite confused here

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:33

But maybe Thick As A Brick doesn't mean anything to me and I don't see it as a classic... Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? Not classics.

So what you're saying is that my opinion doesn't actually matter and since generally everyone else decides what is a classic album there's no chance that Anything else will ever be a classic because everyone else says so? Haha

Im quite confused here

So I see. Try Wikipedia for a definition of Classic.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 13:50

Im quite confused here
Yes, you are confused, and I don't think I can help you with your discombobulation.

Let us forget the fact that the albums that have been bandied about in the last few posts (Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here) all charted in the top ten upon their release in both the UK and the US (so they were publically popular), and that critics in general praised the albums as groundbreaking or special (so they were critically well-received also); instead, let's just stay closer to home amongst rabid prog-heads: all four of the albums are listed in the top ten of Prog-Archives Progressive Rock Top Albums list with ratings of 4.59 or greater (in fact, the top two are CttE and TAAB, WYWH is fourth and DSotM is seventh).

So, there is a consensus among prog fanatics, there was a consensus amongst critics and the normally stupid record-buying public also bought millions of the albums. Granted, naming albums "classics" and "masterpieces" is certainly subjective, but one can use objective data to derive basic criteria that bolsters certain opinions.

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 14:06
A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality. The word can be anadjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature, design, technology, or other cultural artifacts.

So... basically... 

Deloused in the Comatorium- Brought prog into a modern context and truly brought something new to the table. Used odd key mutations and modal mutations but attached an accessible hook-based context to it while also stretching a little into traditional prog territory. It has a particular quality and could be considered a cultural artifact, as it opened up AN ENTIRE GENERATION to prog rock due to the bands original success with At The Drive-In. In fact, the list of modern bands directly influenced by the Mars Volta are just as great as any other prog band. I have met countless modern musicians that claim this album changed their life and helped change the shape of prog rock for years afterwards. It also brought back the idea of bringing punk energy to prog rock.

Explain to me how that is not classic? Unless... you don't see it as an outstanding example of prog rock? And then... suddenly that would mean that maybe the idea of something being a classic is truly just opinion.

California- Focused in Mr Bungle's usually spastic songwriting into focused songs. Used the most advanced recording technologies available at the time to create an album that has a consistent flow yet stretches over more genres than most bands perform throughout their entire lifetime. Not only did it satirize some of those genres, but it presented them in a light that made them better than most more serious renditions of them. The production is as about as perfect as it could be. This album also helped establish Mr Bungle as the most formidable avant-garde metal-stylized act, and transformed music for many people. In fact, there are countless bands that rip off this sorta thing to this day. Not to mention Mike Patton's influence on the modern vocal performance world.

If you need me to list the bands that are directly influenced by this group, I can do that as well. It is quite long and I'm sure many of my avant-metal friends here would agree. How is that not a modern classic?

Unless of course, the idea of something being a classic has everything to do with opinion. Then, we are all just arguing our specific perspectives and no one older than 50 would be able to consider any modern albums "classic' because they've already made mental associations with what 'classic' is.

And then are we saying something isn't classic because everything prog that is post 1974 is all too derivative of the past to be considered classic? Are we trying to say that because something has a particular production quality that it is not considered timeless?

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times I could less consider it a classic because it's honestly just too f**king weird for 99.9% of people and I would consider that to be something that is personal for me.

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 14:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Let us forget the fact that the albums that have been bandied about in the last few posts (Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here) all charted in the top ten upon their release in both the UK and the US (so they were publically popular), and that critics in general praised the albums as groundbreaking or special (so they were critically well-received also); instead, let's just stay closer to home amongst rabid prog-heads: all four of the albums are listed in the top ten of Prog-Archives Progressive Rock Top Albums list with ratings of 4.59 or greater (in fact, the top two are CttE and TAAB, WYWH is fourth and DSotM is seventh).

So, there is a consensus among prog fanatics, there was a consensus amongst critics and the normally stupid record-buying public also bought millions of the albums. Granted, naming albums "classics" and "masterpieces" is certainly subjective, but one can use objective data to derive basic criteria that bolsters certain opinions.

But for anything truly modern to break ground and do something new, it pretty much has to be polarizing in some way so there are going to be dissenting opinions on it.

Oh and also the only people that hated Deloused that were professional critics were like Pitchfork and we all know they are pretty awful. LOL

I don't mean to be argumentative. I just am seriously confused... potentially i'm talking about something that we aren't talking about or I'm not. I don't know anymore. What is life?

-------------

wtf

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:46

Well, it seems like IQ's 'The Road of Bones' has become a new classic. I know I think it's an amazing album. Maybe not in a top 10 list, but I have seen it gather a high amount of praise.

For me, it is a real modern classic and one of the best albums ever released (I think the bonus disc is even better than the main one!). I thought it was the best album of 2014 by miles, but then along comes Steve Rothery with Ghosts of Pripyat and throws me completely. For me, these two are exceptional in any era.

In 2015, we have Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, which is miles better than TRTRTS and again, close to exceptional. And finally, Steve Hackett releases Wolflight, which is another astonishing album (except for the cover art).

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk