FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeda modern classic prog album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: a modern classic prog album
    Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:08
Do you think there will ever be a prog album released in the future that will break new ground, be very highly rated, be considered a classic, appear in the top ranks along with close to the edge, foxtrot, thick as a brick, dark side of the moon ect. I'm not talking about just really good modern prog album theres many of those, I'm talking about like if you look at every top prog album list out there, this album would be in the top ten.

In short, will there ever be another Close to the Edge.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:10
Well, it seems like IQ's 'The Road of Bones' has become a new classic. I know I think it's an amazing album. Maybe not in a top 10 list, but I have seen it gather a high amount of praise.

Edited by Pastmaster - May 01 2015 at 00:13
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 00:48
Only the test of time will enable us classify a new album as a classic. Hug
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:25
^ true

and we don't have a crystal ball to predict the future

I suppose though if you could pull together the leading talents in modern prog (and the fringes) to engineer something like this then maybe someone like Dave Kerzner or <yawn> Steven Wilson could 'direct' it.

Wilson had his go with Raven , but Kerzner has recently released an album called New World which suggests he could be the James Cameron of the prog world. He was also involved in the superb Sound Of Contact album which to my mind is a modern classic ( but not recognised as such admittedly).

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Do you think there will ever be a prog album released in the future that will break new ground, be very highly rated, be considered a classic, appear in the top ranks along with close to the edge, foxtrot, thick as a brick, dark side of the moon ect. I'm not talking about just really good modern prog album theres many of those, I'm talking about like if you look at every top prog album list out there, this album would be in the top ten.

In short, will there ever be another Close to the Edge.

In short, hey nonny Nope

It seems unrealistic to expect that an album recorded now could be considered to inhabit the same rarefied atmosphere that facilitated Prog appearing between 1968 and 1974 (ish) some 40 years later, yet somehow still break new ground? The conflation of events that gave rise to this rare and fleeting phenomenon celebrated from this website are far too many and disparate to list here but they certainly cannot be reverse engineered or replicated etc
There are probably scores of artists worldwide who continue to explore and advance genres like Baroque, Doo Wop, Folk, Trad Jazz, Blues, Reggae etc but it's unlikely that any of their recordings will be considered 'pivotal' or essential to the development of the original genre. It's the ongoing and far reaching influence of the likes of Close to the Edge that is important, not if anyone will make another one. I mean you don't ask a historian to read yer palm now do you?Wink
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:04
I agree with the furry rodent, even if it seems that once in a full moon we get an album from Swilson that gets überrated and literally flies to the top. It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had. It definitely won't sell as many copies nor reach as many ears through the radio.......but in a chart situation? Sure....but then again that means nothing, especially if 75% of the raters downloaded the album illegally.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I agree with the furry rodent, even if it seems that once in a full moon we get an album from Swilson that gets überrated and literally flies to the top. It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had. It definitely won't sell as many copies nor reach as many ears through the radio.......but in a chart situation? Sure....but then again that means nothing, especially if 75% of the raters downloaded the album illegally.
hahahaha!!!! Furry Rodent, hahaha!!!! Guldbansem, that's so funny hahaha!!! LOL awww ExittheLemming the furry is officially the most fluffy cutie snuffy too funny adorable cute here on P.A. Hug
hahahaha, still laughing here and awww cute hahaha xxxxx LOL

Edited by Kati - May 01 2015 at 02:17
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ true

and we don't have a crystal ball to predict the future

I suppose though if you could pull together the leading talents in modern prog (and the fringes) to engineer something like this then maybe someone like Dave Kerzner or <yawn> Steven Wilson could 'direct' it.

Wilson had his go with Raven , but Kerzner has recently released an album called New World which suggests he could be the James Cameron of the prog world. He was also involved in the superb Sound Of Contact album which to my mind is a modern classic ( but not recognised as such admittedly).

hahahaha RichardH, I too have some difficulty getting into Steven Wilson's albums, especially Blackfield band, however he is a genius producer and master of sound this must be said and he has a massive impressive resume of bands he remixed or mastered, their music, just to name a few (not albums coz those are many)
1. King Crimson
2. Caravan
3. Jethro Tull
4. ELP
5. hAWKWIND
6. yes
7. Gentle Giant
among so many others, truth be told he expanded the dynamic range of those bands COMPARED TO THEIR LATER previous releases Thumbs UpApprove
A massive hug to you, RichardH Hug 

Edited by Kati - May 01 2015 at 02:33
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:06
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Exactly. Bravo Kati Clap
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:26

It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had

Honestly I see no reason for thinking this way. Most of the modern prog is quite far from what Yes or Genesis were about, bands like Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Anathema etc are more based on alternative rock than on classic prog. Speaking more widely, we call a lot of bands 'prog' not because their music is directly rooted in Yes legacy, but because it changes the rock basis in similar manner with classic prog bands.

Moreover, prog always needs to fuse genres. When a new genre appears, it becomes involved in prog world quite soon. Thus, any modern or future prog act, based on modern or future genres, easily can maintain cult status for decades and infulence a broad list of artists.
This night wounds time.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

It will however never have the same impact on the music world as say Close to the Edge had

Honestly I see no reason for thinking this way. Most of the modern prog is quite far from what Yes or Genesis were about, bands like Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Anathema etc are more based on alternative rock than on classic prog. Speaking more widely, we call a lot of bands 'prog' not because their music is directly rooted in Yes legacy, but because it changes the rock basis in similar manner with classic prog bands.

Moreover, prog always needs to fuse genres. When a new genre appears, it becomes involved in prog world quite soon. Thus, any modern or future prog act, based on modern or future genres, easily can maintain cult status for decades and infulence a broad list of artists.
Exactomundo Clap
By the way, there are a number of candidates for that "new CttE". For example, IQ's Road of Bones is already mentioned; also, in prog metal sub-genre (which wasn't exist in 1972 when CttE was released), there are the masterpieces that are already (great) classics of Prog, e.g.  Images and Words  and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory  by Dream Theater.

Edited by Svetonio - May 01 2015 at 07:41
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:47
I don't really like modern prog, especially prog coming from the north. I've noticed that the only albums I find interesting today come from Argentina, Italy, Spain or Mexico. Maybe that the revolution is in the air in that other hemisphere Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 05:09
^ must be the ghost of El Cid Barrett haunting the place.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 05:17
Maybe

Aquarelle &amp; plume de canard avec chapeau mexicain et Illustration Print Poncho et Matching résine collier sur chaîne vert
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:17
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maybe

Aquarelle &amp;amp; plume de canard avec chapeau mexicain et Illustration Print Poncho et Matching résine collier sur chaîne vert

Please be careful hellogoodbye! the ghosts are fearful almost as little lemmings!  LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:46
LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:50
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Please be careful hellogoodbye! the ghosts are fearful almost as little lemmings!  LOL

Hellogoodbye has nothing to be afraid of. The internet traffic cops are closing in Pjer Stern Smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Hellogoodbye has nothing to be afraid of. The internet traffic cops are closing in Pjer Stern Smile

LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:23

And that is a fact.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:40
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

And that is a fact.
Indeed. If there has been one in the past few years, I suspect it's something by Big Big Train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>