Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103831
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 06:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why Punk?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Why Punk?
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:25
The perceived enemy of progressive rock, what caused the rise of punk rock in the seventies and why does its short reign still resonate today?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:35
Punk might not have invented the entire "do-it-yourself" ethos of setting up your entire independent infrastructure of underground record labels, concert venues etc. separate from the mainstream music industry, but it certainly popularized that approach to doing things in music back in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Then there's the fact that punk seems to function as a "cultural movement" first and a genre of music second. Here in Denmark, the hardcore punk music scene seems to have functioned as a meeting nexus and common social glue for people with far-left political loyalties. To the point that one of the first things that our newly elected right-wing government did after inauguration was to declare special emergency police action against http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusties" rel="nofollow - crusties . (for vandalism rather than squatting though)

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:35
Good question mate. Punk tried to kill prog, and failed miserably.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Posted By: moosehead
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:36
Don't know much about punk but all I know is people got fed up of 20 minute long songs. Who knew? On another note Punk had a lot to do with the image as well. (Looking and living the punk lifestyle) 

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:38
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

Yes, but it threw in a few good punches before it finally kicked off.

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:39
I think artists like Patti Smith get overlooked and her recordings still stand out.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but it threw in a few good punches before it finally kicked off.

And to be honest, by the late 70's (post- 'Animals') prog was going a bit stale.

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:15

The perceived enemy of progressive rock, what caused the rise of punk rock in the seventies and why does its short reign still resonate today?
In my opinion, the music industry was looking for the next big thing" so they were repackaged already existed U.S. garage rock and British pub-rock, called it "punk", somehow they managed to capture it on vinyl (what wasn't easy to find the band who could recording something in studio that to be listenable because mostly of those 70s garage rock / pub-rock bands were "great" live in the bars /pubs and in small underground venues but terrible in the studio) and that's it. On other side, a very important moment for the music industry was that that the punk music, unlike Prog and 70s Rock, was cheap to record, but the Punk music LPs and singles weren't cheaper for the buyers; punk was created by the industry as an ideal field for exploitation, actually.
However, Punk was too simple to figure out, you know, "you've got an idea - make a song and play", and that quickly become boring even for the punk-rockers themselfs, so the bands with some talent were changed the music direction into more artistic post-punk. Also, Punk was a (sh*t) way of life that disappeared along with its protagonists who get older or, in worst cases, died by heroin overdose.
Anyway, the fact is that the Punk was the last big movement of youth

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:27
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

In my opinion, the music industry was looking for the "next big thing" so they were repackaged already existed U.S. garage rock and British pub-rock, called it "punk", somehow they managed to capture it on vinyl (what wasn't easy to find the band who could recording something in studio that to be listenable because mostly of those 70s garage rock / pub-rock bands were "great" live in the bars /pubs and in small underground venues but terrible in the studio) and that's it. On other side, a very important moment for the music industry was that that the punk music, unlike Prog and 70s Rock, was cheap to record, but the Punk music LPs and singles weren't cheaper for the buyers; punk was created by the industry as an ideal field for exploitation, actually.
However, Punk was too simple to figure out, you know, "you've got an idea - make a song and play", and that quickly become boring even for the punk-rockers themselfs, so the bands with some talent were changed the music direction into more artistic post-punk. Also, Punk was a (sh*t) way of life that disappeared along with its protagonists who get older or, in worst cases, died by heroin overdose.

Uhm no? have you ever heard of something called Hip-Hop. A youth movement that began because they couldn't even afford their own instruments to play.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:35
^^ Young people don't move these days Tongue

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Not a good joke. Hip hop movement started way back in the 70s'

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by moosehead moosehead wrote:

In my opinion, the music industry was looking for the "next big thing" so they were repackaged already existed U.S. garage rock and British pub-rock, called it "punk", somehow they managed to capture it on vinyl (what wasn't easy to find the band who could recording something in studio that to be listenable because mostly of those 70s garage rock / pub-rock bands were "great" live in the bars /pubs and in small underground venues but terrible in the studio) and that's it. On other side, a very important moment for the music industry was that that the punk music, unlike Prog and 70s Rock, was cheap to record, but the Punk music LPs and singles weren't cheaper for the buyers; punk was created by the industry as an ideal field for exploitation, actually.

Uhm no? have you ever heard of something called Hip-Hop. A youth movement that began because they couldn't even afford their own instruments to play.
I had in mind the youth movement that was based on rock.

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:40
Reading people's description in this thread of punk culture makes me wonder... how many of you have actually met any real live punks? I've got a lot of friends in that milieu, and none of them fit the stereotype you describe at all.

Punk created by the industry as an ideal field for exploitation? I thought punk did more to liberate rock music from the centralized music industry's exploitation than any other scene, by creating its own do-it-yourself distribution network. Not to mention I know plenty of people who still live by the ideals of punk culture, as ridiculous as it may seem to outsiders, or that a lot of the punk musicians I know are very talented instrumentalists even if they don't focus on long sprawling epics.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:43

I was pointing for Svetonio's post, but seriously what major movement appeared in the last 20 years? Ermm

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:51

I was pointing for Svetonio's post, but seriously what major movement appeared in the last 20 years? Ermm
Be more specific next time you pointed to my comment ontop of it. And there has been none since the generations before us has f**ked everything upfor the current youth. Thank you to all you old geezers out on this forum.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 15:54
I think punk became quickly obsolete once experimental punk and no-wave started showing up

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 16:26
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Reading people's description in this thread of punk culture makes me wonder... how many of you have actually met any real live punks? (...)
I knew many of them very well, and few of them were very popular punk musicians. We know each other from the same block - it was just so happened that I lived in the same block with the guys who are now "legends" of 80s scene in Belgrade. But almost all of them are gone by heroin overdose.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 17:46

Punk was the perceived enemy of all music other than punk.
LOL

Frankly, I  never cared for any of the punk stuff though there was definitely energy there.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 18:07
Hmmm. As someone who grew up in NYC and was a young adult in the seventies, I can give you my take on the NYC punk scene, for what it's worth.
First off, NYC was the pits in the seventies. Greenwich Village became a rundown slum after the folk artists split for greener pastures and the fledgling punk scene was a kind of embodiment of the decay of the city, spiritually and morally.

It was not uncommon to see someone like Paul Simon in a summer Central Park concert and then checkout the punks at CBGB's. Most punk bands were actually good musicians that played down their chops and played very sloppy sets as that's what the music called for.

Sventonio is correct on one key point. Album sales were becoming big business in the seventies and record company scouts were all over NYC. That's how bands like Blue Oyster Cult got their start along with people like Billy Joel. Both were from neighboring Long Island.

I, and my friends, generally preferred to escape the city drudgery by going to Madison Square Garden and seeing bands like ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes and Tull. We actually thought the whole punk thing would just be contained to NYC and eventually die out.

The so-called first wave of the Velvet Underground and the MC5 were a joke. They were not popular in NYC and the Velvets actually took up residence in Boston, Mass. The MC5 stayed at home in Detroit, I assume.

Punk did eventually die out and pretty quickly but not before doing a whirlwind on both coasts, crossing the Atlantic and spawning New Wave. That's how I remember it. Very quick and not making a lot of sense, even to a native New Yorker.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 18:49

EDM (existed before but rose to popularity in the 90s). Grunge. In the 00s, revivalism.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 00:36
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

EDM (existed before but rose to popularity in the 90s). Grunge. In the 00s, revivalism.
EDM? Well, some kind of dancing music was always existed and always will be. Grunge was a strictly an American thing, unlike punk that was spreading on both sides of Atlantic. Also, that one movement could be callled "big", it must to be "way of life", includes fashion. And probably the most important thing is that the strong reflections of the movement must be seen in other arts such as art paiinting, art photography, features films and prose.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 02:30
Well, the punks I know are more into the hardcore stuff which didn't really exist until half a generation later than the '77 era, but they do also listen to those formative artists and even 1960s stuff like 13th Floor Elevators as forerunners to their own subculture. Maybe the mid/late-1970s punk sound is more of a nostalgia thing these days, but the genre has evolved since then. (all the -cores for instance: crust, grind, math, noise etc)

I mean, try to say these bands aren't talented musicians or don't take what they do seriously beyond just being a fashion phase for them:

The last band in particular show a lot of Gorguts and Voivod influence, for crying out loud.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 03:30

Naaaah... That's like saying CDs killed vinyls : totally inaccurate >> vinyls were killed by cassettes (portability reasons: ghetto blaster, walkman), which in turned were killed by the CD (especially once the discman came in)

Punk didn't kill "prog"Stern SmileGeek

Prog committed suicide by getting fat, old, tired, spoiled, uninspired and often ridiculous by 78Tongue

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 03:51
I should say that there's nothing wrong with not liking punk, nothing's for everyone after all, but the negative descriptions of the scene given here in this thread I can't recognize at all and seem like they've been informed entirely by propaganda from Margaret Thatcher-era conservative tabloid newspapers.

Turns out it's just that most people here's experiences of punk culture are from the late 1970s and early 1980s, but I know firsthand that punk isn't a static and stagnant form of music but has instead continued to evolve since then. I'll give you this, though, that the music often ends up taking a backseat to the ideological aspect though...

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 04:00
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

(...)

(...)

Depending on where, really. 
In my country, prog was thoroughly destroyed by punk.
It was because that 99% of new bands that were formed in the late eighties and nineties just were wanting to emulate their punk idols from late seventies and early eighties, and they did not even think about progressive rock although prog was going pretty strong in former Yugosalavia before that punk hysteria; also, the record companies were lost interest to release some new prog bands, only bigs from 70s. Punk / Post Punk became popular so much that there was no substance anymore from which that prog could emerged with a number of new  prog bands and new fans of prog; there were just a few of new prog bands with a very small fanbase. 
It's needless even to write about how much punk here was supported by national rock press, and even British NME declared a Belgrade's punk band Električni Orgazam ("Electric Orgasm") as the best non-British band.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 04:41
I get the impression people exaggerate how unpopular progressive rock, but that probably has a lot to do with me being Scandinavian. I mean, Sweden is the one country on the planet where Henry Cow command a significant degree of mainstream crossover success. Henry freaking Cow!

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 04:54

(...)

(...)

It was because that 99% of new bands that were formed in the late eighties and nineties just were wanting to emulate their punk idols from late seventies and early eighties, and they did not even think about progressive rock although prog was going pretty strong in former Yugosalavia before that punk hysteria; also, the record companies were lost interest to release some new prog bands, only bigs from 70s. Punk / Post Punk became popular so much that there was no substance anymore from which that prog could emerged with a number of new  prog bands and new fans of prog; there were just a few of new prog bands with a very small fanbase. 
It's needless even to write about how much punk here was supported by national rock press, and even British NME declared a Belgrade's punk band Električni Orgazam ("Electric Orgasm") as the best non-British band.

You mean that bands like Genesis ELP and GG were wiped out from the Yougoslavian state radio airwaves of 77 or 79 by The Clash and TSP??Shocked

Because your post talks about a decade later than the "punk" explosion, who strated in August 76 (the Mont-De-Marsan punk festival in France) until the fall of 77... after that , we can talk of new wave

If anything in Canada during the late 70's, Toronto (Ontario in general) got somewhat influenced by the London-punk-scene, but it affected few people... the then-contemporary disco-craze did much more damage than punk in that regard
And in Montreal  (Quebec in general), disco really wiped out all prog bands except for the ones who had a squerer rock format... which only leaves Octobre and Offenbach (and its offshoot Corbeau) by the start of the 80's.  There , prog got "killed"... but by disco twits.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 06:00

(...)

(...)

You mean that bands like Genesis ELP and GG were wiped out from the Yougoslavian state radio airwaves of 77 or 79 by The Clash and TSP??Shocked

Because your post talks about a decade later than the "punk" explosion, who strated in August 76 (the Mont-De-Marsan punk festival in France) until the fall of 77... after that , we can talk of new wave

If anything in Canada during the late 70's, Toronto (Ontario in general) got somewhat influenced by the London-punk-scene, but it affected few people... the then-contemporary disco-craze did much more damage than punk in that regard
And in Montreal  (Quebec in general), disco really wiped out all prog bands except for the ones who had a squerer rock format... which only leaves Octobre and Offenbach (and its offshoot Corbeau) by the start of the 80's.  There , prog got "killed"... but by disco twits.
I said that the Yugoslavian prog was destroyed by the punk because, after all that punk histeria, the new kids were lost the motive to form the prog bands, only punk/post-punk. It was like a good football team that was left without the junior team.
Yugoslavian radio stations were played all of important and "important" albums of the time, and therefore they were playing a lot of punk.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 07:45

I said that the Yugoslavian prog was destroyed by the punk because, after all that punk histeria, the new kids were lost the motive to form the prog bands, only punk/post-punk. It was like a good football team that was left without the junior team.
Yugoslavian radio stations were played all of important and "important" albums of the time, and therefore they were playing a lot of punk.

OK, no idea what the Yugoslavian radio (were there any other than state radios?) played in the 70's, but I certainly wasn't picturing them playing King Crimson or Genesis in 71 or 75.  or The Clash in 77, FTM... I mean even Belgian radios didn't... we had to resort to France Inter

I mean, I'm sure there were underground networks in Serbia, but nothing mainstream/official (and neither punk nor prog were mainstream in  the 70's), AFAIK.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 08:30

OK, no idea what the Yugoslavian radio (were there any other than state radios?) played in the 70's, but I certainly wasn't picturing them playing King Crimson or Genesis in 71 or 75.  or The Clash in 77, FTM... I mean even Belgian radios didn't... we had to resort to France Inter

I mean, I'm sure there were underground networks in Serbia, but nothing mainstream/official (and neither punk nor prog were mainstream in  the 70's), AFAIK. 

They were played the foreign prog regurarly, for example that fm radio station "Beograd 202" (which still exists as 'classic rock' oriented station) was played the foreign prog bands in 70s a lot because the station is a daughter-company of that offical Radio and Television of Belgrade who also owns one of the major record companies here, PGP RTB, who was printed here, under licence, the albums by Jethro Tull, Genesis, Gong, Rick Wakeman, Mike Oldfield, Return to Forever, Steely Dan, Tangerine Dream, Can, etc. And "Beograd 202" were played all of them. Also, we have here in Belgrade that fm station "Studio B" which was also rock oriented radio in 70s so they played everything of that time; some more "avant" stuff they were played during the night, e.g. King Crimson's songs from LTiA or Red.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 08:46

Naaaah... That's like saying CDs killed vinyls : totally inaccurate >> vinyls were killed by cassettes (portability reasons: ghetto blaster, walkman), which in turned were killed by the CD (especially once the discman came in)

Prog committed suicide by getting fat, old, tired, spoiled, uninspired and often ridiculous by 78Tongue

I never said it killed prog.  Agree with your last sentence though.

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 08:58

I never said it killed prog.  Agree with your last sentence though.

You said it tried to (which basically the same).... but even then, 99% of runks only wanted their 1/4h of fame and a spot in the sun.... All they wanted was to be able to find a spot in society back then. Their horizons were solidly blocked because of the severe economic crisis the UK was in - Europe in general, but the UK was paralized by permanent strikes. It was no wonder a lot of these young punks were pro-Tatcher (though only Paul Weller of The Jam admitted to it openly)

Obviously, nobody had the intention to kill anyone (until the Oy punk and hardcore punk movements came in the the early 80's)

I said that the Yugoslavian prog was destroyed by the punk because, after all that punk histeria, the new kids were lost the motive to form the prog bands, only punk/post-punk. It was like a good football team that was left without the junior team.
Yugoslavian radio stations were played all of important and "important" albums of the time, and therefore they were playing a lot of punk.
OK, no idea what the Yugoslavian radio (were there any other than state radios?) played in the 70's, but I certainly wasn't picturing them playing King Crimson or Genesis in 71 or 75. or The Clash in 77, FTM... I mean even Belgian radios didn't... we had to resort to France Inter
I mean, I'm sure there were underground networks in Serbia, but nothing mainstream/official (and neither punk nor prog were mainstream in the 70's), AFAIK.

They were played the foreign prog regurarly, for example that fm radio station "Beograd 202" (which still exists as 'classic rock' oriented station) was played the foreign prog bands in 70s a lot because the station is a daughter-company of that offical Radio and Television of Belgrade who also owns one of the major record companies here, PGP RTB, who was printed here, under licence, the albums by Jethro Tull, Genesis, Gong, Rick Wakeman, Mike Oldfield, Return to Forever, Steely Dan, Tangerine Dream, Can, etc. And "Beograd 202" were played all of them. Also, we have here in Belgrade that fm station "Studio B" which was also rock oriented radio in 70s so they played everything of that time; some more "avant" stuff they were played during the night, e.g. King Crimson's songs from LTiA or Red.
OK, thanks
Never would've guessed.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 09:22

Only the famous prog bands did that though...

The Rock in Opposition Movement, and a few bands like Islands and Cathedral were just as amazing as ever in the late 70s!

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Only the famous prog bands did that though...

The Rock in Opposition Movement, and a few bands like Islands and Cathedral were just as amazing as ever in the late 70s!

Let's face it, who knew of those RIO bands back then? a gew hundreds worldwide?? probably not even that much.
Between their birth and disbandement in the mid-80's, UZ and Présent played roughly 25 concerts throughout all  those years... They've played twice that much since reforming in the later 90's.
Not sue Aksak played that much, despite FF and CC's presence for the second album.

Etron Fou , Art Bears and Stormy Six might have played more gigs, because they sang... and that attracts a fairly different crowd.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 10:33
I see that this thread is devolving into another 'punk killed prog' debate of which I'm to blame because of the context of my initial post. That being said, I'm sill curious as to why punk started and took off. Any opinions?

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 11:08

I see that this thread is devolving into another 'punk killed prog' debate of which I'm to blame because of the context of my initial post. That being said, I'm sill curious as to why punk started and took off. Any opinions?

Hmm, I was at school when punk took off. A kid in my class who was into classical and opera went crazy for punk practically overnight, but I really don't know why. Perhaps he was trying to be trendy?

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 11:54
Punk in the UK was a combination of a number of factors :-
1) Disenfranchised youth with poor economic situation in the UK in the late 70's.
2) Rock music not connecting with the youth, getting more corporate and safe
3) Malcolm McClaren seeing the opportunity to market New York Dolls & Television style bands in the UK
4) Popular music at the time being disco and extremely plastic
5) Opportunity for the punk 'look' to be a fashion fad with the emphasis on being different.

Once it got mainstream media on board very few people who dressed as punks actually embraced the ethos that kicked off the movement. 

Still a bunch of good bands came out of the movement.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 13:20
Well, the UK punk movement already had its own forerunners to punk in their homegrown glam rock scene's harder end as represented by The Sweet and their ilk. I think if you look at the list of musicians that have covered The Sweet, there's like 50% punk groups and 50% metal groups.

Not to mention that the purposely garish and shocking fashion sense seems to pretty obviously having come from there too.

-------------

Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 14:06
Punk is easy for adolescents to relate to for several reasons. It's typically a simplistic style of music which means a kid learning to play guitar can learn songs easily, in the 70's punks claimed that if music was complex it was pretentious, which is easy for most to relate to because only a few can actually be the best and of coarse it's easier to be average rather than strive to become better. Most importantly is the rebellious attitude, kids have many rules from many sources it is only natural to rebel against being controlled.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 15:32
Punk was the right thing to do at the time.....at the very least it brought with it a new experimental wave of musicians that very quickly got beyond 1950s rock n roll riffs played ridiculously fast and choppy. There was so much more to it.
Post punk, No Wave, New Wave happened or whatever you wanna call them. They are stickers for a great time in music.
The Cure anyone? Siouxsie, Suicide, Chrome, Cocteau Twins, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Dead Kennedys, Mission of Burma, Wire, Gang of Four, Minutemen, The Fall, Pere Ubu, The Chameleons, PiL, Glenn Branca, The Sound, New Order, Swans, Sonic Youth the list is so long that you could wrap it around a small mountain.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 16:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Punk was the right thing to do at the time.....at the very least it brought with it a new experimental wave of musicians that very quickly got beyond 1950s rock n roll riffs played ridiculously fast and choppy. There was so much more to it.
Post punk, No Wave, New Wave happened or whatever you wanna call them. They are stickers for a great time in music.
The Cure anyone? Siouxsie, Suicide, Chrome, Cocteau Twins, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Dead Kennedys, Mission of Burma, Wire, Gang of Four, Minutemen, The Fall, Pere Ubu, The Chameleons, PiL, Glenn Branca, The Sound, New Order, Swans, Sonic Youth the list is so long that you could wrap it around a small mountain.

As the old saying goes "timing is everything", and so it is in music. I'm interested because punk does not follow a linier progression. It was a type of regression, and that's what throws me. I have nothing against punk as it did not last long and it did lead to post punk and new wave, as you stated. I can't imagine Midnight Oil, for example, evolving without punk coming first. Or dozens of other bands I like from the eighties.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 18:15
^ But many new musics will, by nature or intent, turn away from what came before.   Prog was an exception to that, but rock 'n roll was not.   Punk was not so much a regression as an aggression.  

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 18:18
^I see your point. Could it be both a regression and an aggression?

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 19:00
Punk was hardly a regression. It grew up alongside psychedelia and prog, simply going off in a different direction from them, becoming its own thing. It isn't because it didn't really go back to rock's roots, since rock's roots were the soul, R&B, blues, boogie-woogie, and country styles of the '40's, and a much safer - if of course never properly safe - sound than most psych, prog, and punk, and a compositional style that, before Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley, wasn't actually crunched into 4/4. Shocked Punk opened the doors for post-punk, new wave, and post-hardcore because it was a new way of doing things.

-------------

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 19:06

A quest for simplicity and the desire by the young to make their own statement. IMO.

Young people in the 70s did not have the money to simply go out and equip themselves with all the paraphenalia of the then chart topping rock groups. Much the same way that a certain Robert Zimmerman began with nowt but an acoustic guitar and a harmonica. Some of them also were looking to reject the foppish costumes and stage personnas of so many established rock acts. If all you do is throw the 1812 Overture at people some of them will eventually yearn for a simple string quartet. 

Don't know how old you are but I was early teens when the Beatles first broke. They were the music of my generation, a reaction against the boring plodding old fogies who were dominating the pop charts of the time. Of course, they in turn became just as boring and as plodding to a newer younger generation who came up after.

So it is then, that today we still find young people bopping to hip hop or any of the punk like bands that still inhabit the inner of any city, at least they do in Australia.

Even for an old fart like me, there are moments when I simply do not want to listen to the same old albums from a previous century and even when I was at my most proggiest I'd still find myself occasionally listening to something more basic. Prog is not the be all and end all of music.

Of course people like to slam punk as musical garbage but really that is unjustified. Toddle off and have a listen to some of the great punk and punkish groups of the 70s. Check out Australia's own The Saints, or the mighty Ramones and do not forget The Clash. No one should simply cannot reject the musical output of those groups as rubbish. You may may not like it but it is not rubbish. Sadly I never saw the Ramones live but nobody could ever have the gall to suggest that The Clash or The Saints e.g. were incompetent musicians. The Clash live were simply effing awesome. Meanwhile punk evolved and ended up giving us the likes of Joy Division and The Cure. For that alone it should be praised.

Ultimately .... its all just rock'n'roll .... and I like an awful lot of it. Smile

Now if only I could get my head around all that hip hop garbage. Call that music ? Piffle. LOL

ps - Toaster Mantis mentions garish and shocking fashion ...... jaysus ! Check out the crap we were trotting around in during the 60s. I know that the first time I heard a punk band live (Radio Birdman 1974ish) I was wearing flares and platform shoes. Thankfully there is no photographic evidence. Embarrassed

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 19:16
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Punk was hardly a regression. It grew up alongside psychedelia and prog, simply going off in a different direction from them, becoming its own thing. It isn't because it didn't really go back to rock's roots, since rock's roots were the soul, R&B, blues, boogie-woogie, and country styles of the '40's, and a much safer - if of course never properly safe - sound than most psych, prog, and punk, and a compositional style that, before Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley, wasn't actually crunched into 4/4. Shocked Punk opened the doors for post-punk, new wave, and post-hardcore because it was a new way of doing things.
Ok, then if was not a regression, that what did punk put forward, musically speaking? Did it form a rock fusion with some other genre? Introduce new or different instruments? Where's the progression aside from crunching R&R into 4/4?

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 19:25
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

A quest for simplicity and the desire by the young to make their own statement. IMO.

Young people in the 70s did not have the money to simply go out and equip themselves with all the paraphenalia of the then chart topping rock groups. Much the same way that a certain Robert Zimmerman began with nowt but an acoustic guitar and a harmonica. Some of them also were looking to reject the foppish costumes and stage personnas of so many established rock acts. If all you do is throw the 1812 Overture at people some of them will eventually yearn for a simple string quartet. 

Don't know how old you are but I was early teens when the Beatles first broke. They were the music of my generation, a reaction against the boring plodding old fogies who were dominating the pop charts of the time. Of course, they in turn became just as boring and as plodding to a newer younger generation who came up after.

So it is then, that today we still find young people bopping to hip hop or any of the punk like bands that still inhabit the inner of any city, at least they do in Australia.

Even for an old fart like me, there are moments when I simply do not want to listen to the same old albums from a previous century and even when I was at my most proggiest I'd still find myself occasionally listening to something more basic. Prog is not the be all and end all of music.

Of course people like to slam punk as musical garbage but really that is unjustified. Toddle off and have a listen to some of the great punk and punkish groups of the 70s. Check out Australia's own The Saints, or the mighty Ramones and do not forget The Clash. No one should simply cannot reject the musical output of those groups as rubbish. You may may not like it but it is not rubbish. Sadly I never saw the Ramones live but nobody could ever have the gall to suggest that The Clash or The Saints e.g. were incompetent musicians. The Clash live were simply effing awesome. Meanwhile punk evolved and ended up giving us the likes of Joy Division and The Cure. For that alone it should be praised.

Ultimately .... its all just rock'n'roll .... and I like an awful lot of it. Smile

Now if only I could get my head around all that hip hop garbage. Call that music ? Piffle. LOL

ps - Toaster Mantis mentions garish and shocking fashion ...... jaysus ! Check out the crap we were trotting around in during the 60s. I know that the first time I heard a punk band live (Radio Birdman 1974ish) I was wearing flares and platform shoes. Thankfully there is no photographic evidence. Embarrassed
Having been born in 1951, I have memories of such fashions that still haunt me so don't feel alone. I also like to go back to basics and listen to American folk and early acoustic blues for a change of pace. Listening only to prog would drive me nuts.

As for hip hop, I'll focus on punk for the time being.LOL

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 19:38

Ok, then if was not a regression, that what did put forward, musically speaking? Did it form a rock fusion with some other genre? Introduce new or different instruments? Where's the progression aside from crunching R&R into 4/4?

They built off the rough riffs of garage rock by making them fast-paced and uniquely toned, built off the distortion stylings of Dick Dale and the early hard rock bands to create a "buzzsaw" quality, and enshrined power chords as being as much the tools of non-metallic bands as metal ones by crimping them from The Kinks and The Who.

In combination with a DIY philosophy and a conquest of the underground, they offered a particularly lucrative replacement for pre-1977 rock, one with plenty of immediate room to experiment.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 02:19

^I see your point. Could it be both a regression and an aggression?

It certainly was an attitude. England also loves a music current where fashion/looks intervenes (this could be where Prog's failure to remain popular in the UK >> no particular look, except for Wakeman's stardust-sprinkled capes)... and punk certainly fitted that criteria (not talking of the Mohawk haircuts, which happened in the early 80's) , just like Glam rock (somewhat it's predecessor)
I'd call punk's other  "Approximative Rock"LOL

Outside TSP and the Clash's first two albums, I'd say that punk was not all that aggressive (sonically speaking), it was more of a cry for help, given their No Future plea/moto.

Sonic agression came with Hardcore (Black Flag, for ex) or these extremist/fascist/racist Oy punk bands (Oy is "Hi" in skinhead circles)

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 04:16

Having been born in 1951, I have memories of such fashions that still haunt me so don't feel alone. I also like to go back to basics and listen to American folk and early acoustic blues for a change of pace. Listening only to prog would drive me nuts.

Pretty much my thought as well. I'm more than content to delve into the Americana/Alt-country thing and Blues of pretty much any description. The likes of Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark are long time favourites. There is some truly wonderful stuff out there. Otoh I'm also a fan of many of the indy rock bands that came along around the same time as punk. Another Oz band, The Go-Betweens did some wonderful things back in the day using the get back to basics of the punk movement with less aggro, great playing and superb songwriting.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 04:19
I think it's not as much that punk "killed" progressive rock as became popular at the same time progressive rock had lost its momentum as a "movement", because culture and society had changed so much in the mean time. Notice that the mid-1970s already saw Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis, Robert Fripp dissolving King Crimson and Yes' extremely ambitious Tales from the Topographic Oceans which there's a general consensus didn't really go down as well as planned. It's certainly the reason Rick Wakeman left! All that stuff had already happened by 1974, when the Ramones' first LP came out in 1976 if I remember correctly, and the UK punk explosion did not happen until 1977.

I actually get the impression that the earliest heavy metal groups were as much of a reaction against progressive rock, but not as jarring because many of them were doing it from the inside. Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Scorpions all came from that background but changed course in a different direction. Indeed, in the Scorpions' case the reason Uli Jon Roth left was that the rest of the band wanted to move even further away from progressive rock.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 04:45

I think it's not as much that punk "killed" progressive rock as became popular at the same time progressive rock had lost its momentum as a "movement", because culture and society had changed so much in the mean time. Notice that the mid-1970s already saw Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis, Robert Fripp dissolving King Crimson and Yes' extremely ambitious Tales from the Topographic Oceans which there's a general consensus didn't really go down as well as planned. It's certainly the reason Rick Wakeman left! All that stuff had already happened by 1974, when the Ramones' first LP came out if I remember correctly, and the UK punk explosion did not happen until 1977.

I actually get the impression that the earliest heavy metal groups were as much of a reaction against progressive rock, but not as jarring because many of them were doing it from the inside. Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Scorpions all came from that background but changed course in a different direction. Indeed, in the Scorpions' case the reason Uli Jon Roth left was that the rest of the band wanted to move even further away from progressive rock.

The Sex Pistols were 1975 but by then as you say the Ramones were hard at it while in Australian The Saints (who always denied they were punk) and Radio Birdman were very much part of our scene. To be honest I was not really into it at the time but came to realise just how good some of these acts were/are.

Me, I certainly don't think punk killed prog rather its influence killed off some of progs worse excesses. Th ereality is that the best of Prog (whatever that may be) is music that requires a bit of concentration. Its concert music, not something that you and your mates bop to while downing a few beers down at the local pub. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 05:29
Just checked, the first Ramones album was in '76. Just as I said, punk did not become really popular until progressive rock had already gone downhill from its peak as far as mainstream impact was concerned. I think it was more "stadium rock" culture in general, and how rock music had gone off key from its roots as something democratic and grassroots (as well as somewhat subversive) into something elitist, spectator-oriented and conservative.

Come to think of it, the Rock In Opposition movement in progressive rock was coming from a similar place.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 09:17
It wasn't specifically prog that the punks had an issue with, it was just big arena/stadium rock in general. The Sex pistols refused, at first anyway, to play in any traditional rock venue; anywhere that "stunk of rock 'n' roll" as McClaren put it. That's why they played community centres, strip clubs etc instead.

Ultimately rock, generally has outlived punk, because it has broader appeal and greater staying power. I have a soft spot for punk and like some of the music, but mostly it's demonstrably sh*t, that's why the movement evolved into something else and something better quite quickly.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 11:26

Ok, then if was not a regression, that what did put forward, musically speaking? Did it form a rock fusion with some other genre? Introduce new or different instruments? Where's the progression aside from crunching R&R into 4/4?

They built off the rough riffs of garage rock by making them fast-paced and uniquely toned, built off the distortion stylings of Dick Dale and the early hard rock bands to create a "buzzsaw" quality, and enshrined power chords as being as much the tools of non-metallic bands as metal ones by crimping them from The Kinks and The Who.

In combination with a DIY philosophy and a conquest of the underground, they offered a particularly lucrative replacement for pre-1977 rock, one with plenty of immediate room to experiment.
Hmm, again all of this is, IMO, retro. The heavy guitar reverb that early punks used was lifted from the 13th Floor Elevators, who had ripped it off from Dick Dale. And recycling crunch riffs from the Who and Kinks is also backward looking. Playing simpler chords too is also backward looking.

I'm sorry, but I can't see punk as anything more than regressive, which, I might add, is not a bad thing in itself.

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 11:50

Pretty much my thought as well. I'm pretty much content to delve into the Americana/Alt-country thing and Blues off pretty much any description. The likes of Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark are long time favourites. There is some truly wonderful stuff out there. Otoh I'm also a fan of many of the indy rock bands that came along around the same time as punk. Another Oz band, The Go-Betweens did some wonderful things back in the day using the get back to basics of the punk movement with less aggro, great playing and superb songwriting.
Wow, I have everything, well almost everything, recorded by Clark and Van Zandt as well Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, Bravo!  Clap

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 17:38

Pretty much my thought as well. I'm pretty much content to delve into the Americana/Alt-country thing and Blues off pretty much any description. The likes of Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark are long time favourites. There is some truly wonderful stuff out there. Otoh I'm also a fan of many of the indy rock bands that came along around the same time as punk. Another Oz band, The Go-Betweens did some wonderful things back in the day using the get back to basics of the punk movement with less aggro, great playing and superb songwriting.
Wow, I have everything, well almost everything, recorded by Clark and Van Zandt as well Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, Bravo!  Clap

Beer

Townes is probably my all time musical hero, Clark is simply a wonder while Earle and Williams are right up there. Williams is touring Oz in a couple of months but alas I couldn't get a decent seat for her only Sydney show.

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 03:52
Another observation that's relevant to the discussion at hand: In my experience, it's a useful heuristic that professional reviewers and message board pundits are way more concerned with which kinds of rock music are "culturally important" than people who are active as musicians happen to be.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:21
^To me, punk is more culturally important. I know that it was culturally derived somehow, so that maybe why it's hard to get a handle on it's development. As I said once before, to figure out certain genres, a sociologist may be of better help, assuming one has actually researched the punk phenomenon.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 16:07
Make no mistake, it was a way for piss-poor musicians to make money. I remember seeing a documentary on punk a while back, and many of the musicians stated that fact in one way or another. Hey, if you can't play a piano suite like Keith Emerson, three chords and attitude will do.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 02:14

^To me, punk is more culturally important. I know that it was culturally derived somehow, so that maybe why it's hard to get a handle on it's development. As I said once before, to figure out certain genres, a sociologist may be of better help, assuming one has actually researched the punk phenomenon.

Probably because punk culture is often more concerned with politics than music...

-------------

Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 02:43
I grew up listening to punk and I must say its a lot cooler than what I listen to now, but that's OK because at this point of my life I no longer am looking to be/feel cool, it's more of an inevitability now

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:13
Because prog rockers weren't going to wear safety pins through their cheeks...

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:53
^ No but headbangers were more than willing to.   Or a toothbrush through an earlobe.   Interesting interface between early 80s NWoBHM people and Punk holdovers.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:35
Yes but - safety pins???  At least people these days who want to fudge up their bodies with piercing are getting more extreme. heheheheh

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 16:43
Safety pins, toothbrushes, flea collars, tampons, dental floss, candy, cheap plastic jewelry.   Anything comfortably ratty and common.   It was punk, man.   Regular piercings were much too boring (and expensive).

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ No but headbangers were more than willing to.   Or a toothbrush through an earlobe.   Interesting interface between early 80s NWoBHM people and Punk holdovers.

I wager Motörhead were the common point of cultural reference among the two. You can hear their obvious influence in both British punk groups of that generation, like Discharge and GBH on one hand, and NWoBHM groups like Tank and Venom on the other.

-------------

Posted By: rocknrollcola
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:20

Probably because punk culture is often more concerned with politics than music...

Makes me wonder why so many punk rock bands have gotten in the hall of fame while prog rock bands such as Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Moody Blues, etc have been ignored.

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:34

I agree that later punk was politically driven but much of the Ramones output was pretty inane lyrically. It's almost as if they were trying to purposefully be apolitical or asocial? Go figure. Confused

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:43
I don't think of punks as asocial at all. Maybe the whole "look" disassociates you from certain demographics, but most punks I know (old and new) are very social and often live in small communities together. They talk to just about anyone who's willing to have a conversation with them. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:47
^ I was only referring to the Ramones' songs like Rockaway Beach. And you're correct. The lyrics are not asocial but just lack any social comment or commentary, which is very different form being asocial. Mea culpa. 

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:56
I wasn't directing my post at you Steve but more extrapolating on something that you touched upon. Sorry if that didn't translateEmbarrassed

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:00
Yes, I agree. The view that all punks are thugs and boogeymen is a gross stereotype. 

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:02
More like hippies with sharp elbows.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:03
^ LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 02:08
It is most definitely an apt description of crusties.

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 02:46

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ No but headbangers were more than willing to.   Or a toothbrush through an earlobe.   Interesting interface between early 80s NWoBHM people and Punk holdovers
I wager Motörhead were the common point of cultural reference among the two. You can hear their obvious influence in both British punk groups of that generation, like Discharge and GBH on one hand, and NWoBHM groups like Tank and Venom on the other.

Definitely; a connection that was quite evident then.  There was even a handful of Motorhead imitators as I recall.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk