Print Page | Close Window

Rip off bands of the 70s/80s?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104282
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 13:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rip off bands of the 70s/80s?
Posted By: fudgenuts64
Subject: Rip off bands of the 70s/80s?
Date Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:28
I'm looking for bands that ripped off the prog giants, I'm not really talking about stuff like Marillion and Genesis, but stuff like Starcastle and Yes which is my example of a "rip off" band. How many of these bands are out there and what records do I need? Mind you, I don't enjoy this stuff too much... but it's sorta fun to listen to.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Replayer
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 02:09
I've bought two Glass Hammer albums, If and Cor Cordium, due to their high ratings here on PA and the fact that they were mean as tributes to Yes. Jon Davison is a good Jon Anderson soundalike (even their appearance and names are similar), to the extent that he is now lead signer in Yes. The two albums technically have all the right elements (though the keyboard remind me of Tony Kaye rather than Rick Wakeman), including the mystical lyrics and Roger Dean style album covers. However there is a missing spark.

Classic French prog band Pulsar started off as a Pink Floyd tribute band and in their first album, Pollen, that the influences are the most obvious, though they grew into their own identity. I can particularly recommend their third album Halloween.

Another French band, Atoll, had a Yes-like sound on their third album, Tertio. It's a very good album, nevertheless. The band's previous album L'Araignée-Mal is also good.

I found the first Arena album, Songs from the Lion's Cage, and the second on, Pride (to a lesser degree), very similar to Marillion stylistically.

Electronic composer Michael Hoenig, who has briefly a member of Tangerine Dream, released solo album Departure from the Northern Wasteland in 1978, which sounds almost identical to a late 70s Tangerine Dream album.

American musician Michael Garrison released several albums between 1979 and 1998 that are strongly influenced by Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre. I've only listened to a couple of his earlier albums.

Of these albums, I genuinely enjoy and recommend all of them except for the two Glass Hammer ones.

I haven't had a chance to listen to their stuff yet, but I heard that Triumvirat is sometimes dismissed as a ELP clone.

Finally, the best example of a literal rip off band is probably the fake Deep Purple that toured during the early 80s.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 02:25
I'd say there are more ripoff bands now than in the 70s and 80s.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 03:29
I'd say both Adelbert Von Deyen ripped off Klaus Schulze - and Zanov to some extent ripped off Tangerine Dream. With great success I might add - especially the latter artist. 

Zeuhl-bands such as Eider Stellaire and Weidorje (plus a handful more) seem to have developed their whole sound from Üdü Ẁüdü-era Magma. 

Acqua Fragile is a truly awful Genesis-rip off from the RPI-scene.

All in all I think most 70's prog bands on a certain level of quality made an effort to carve out something of their own although its always easy to spot their influences.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 05:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

IndeedClap. Case in point: Wobbler's third album, Rites at Dawn, which might have easily passed for a Fragile/CTTE-era Yes album.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

IndeedClap. Case in point: Wobbler's third album, Rites at Dawn, which might have easily passed for a Fragile/CTTE-era Yes album.

Only it's nowhere near as good. Those guys are good players, but they come up short as composers. IMO, of course.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'd say both Adelbert Von Deyen ripped off Klaus Schulze - and Zanov to some extent ripped off Tangerine Dream. With great success I might add - especially the latter artist.

When it comes to Tangerine Dream and  Schulze, their emulators are legion.

Bernd Kistenmacher and Patrick Kosmos released albums that could be mistaken for Schulze if one didn't know better.

The German band You are obviously very influenced by Tangerine Dream. They did evolve from their copycat scheme.  

Some of Steve Roach's early sequencer works emulate Schulze but then he became the Godfather of "ethno-ambient."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:56
Triumvirat were an obvious emulation of ELP. The note patterns, the time signatures, the acoustic ballads..were all a simulation of ELP. Triumvirat I give much credit to for actually creating a style and sound of their own within all of that hogwash of emulation and as a result...some of their albums are very unique. In a sense, some of the songwriting and instrumental composition of Triumvirat was. (at times), a bit more interesting than ELP. But again, you might think that perhaps what you are hearing which sounds better or more interesting, is merely a different version of what's already been done by ELP.  Triumvirat were a bit smoother in tone ..yet the drummer , for example, did not literally cover the chops and technique of Carl Palmer. Their composition didn't require a Carl Palmer type sitting in on the drum kit. The music of Greenslade, Rare Bird, and Curved Air required skilled drummers and they had a certain distinctive dynamic style that differed from Carl Palmer's. Again it would be difficult to cover ELP's music , forming a tribute band, and becoming very tight during performances...let alone..attempting to emulate their style and dance in your own shadow.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 12:14

It's true

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 13:51
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Triumvirat were an obvious emulation of ELP. The note patterns, the time signatures, the acoustic ballads..were all a simulation of ELP. Triumvirat I give much credit to for actually creating a style and sound of their own within all of that hogwash of emulation and as a result...some of their albums are very unique. In a sense, some of the songwriting and instrumental composition of Triumvirat was. (at times), a bit more interesting than ELP. But again, you might think that perhaps what you are hearing which sounds better or more interesting, is merely a different version of what's already been done by ELP.  Triumvirat were a bit smoother in tone ..yet the drummer , for example, did not literally cover the chops and technique of Carl Palmer. Their composition didn't require a Carl Palmer type sitting in on the drum kit. The music of Greenslade, Rare Bird, and Curved Air required skilled drummers and they had a certain distinctive dynamic style that differed from Carl Palmer's. Again it would be difficult to cover ELP's music , forming a tribute band, and becoming very tight during performances...let alone..attempting to emulate their style and dance in your own shadow.
 Clap Couldn't have said it better, myself, Johnny.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 15:57
The Watch is the first band I think of when copycats are being discussed. I love Gabriel era Genesis as much as the next person, but this is just too much for me. I'd rather pop on The Lamb.
Don't take my word for it though; there are quite the number of old school Genesis fans who simply adore The Watch.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Skalla-Grim
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:16
As long as bands don't plagiarise others, I don't have any problem with them resembling other bands in terms of overall style or sound. I don't think bands like Starcastle or Triumvirat deserve to be called rip-offs or copycats. That's not very respectful in my opinion, considering what effort it takes to write and perform music like that.

Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:28
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

As long as bands don't plagiarise others, I don't have any problem with them resembling other bands in terms of overall style or sound. I don't think bands like Starcastle or Triumvirat deserve to be called rip-offs or copycats. That's not very respectful in my opinion, considering what effort it takes to write and perform music like that.
Well said.  I feel the same way.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Watch is the first band I think of when copycats are being discussed. I love Gabriel era Genesis as much as the next person, but this is just too much for me. I'd rather pop on The Lamb.
Don't take my word for it though; there are quite the number of old school Genesis fans who simply adore The Watch.

I actually wish they were just a cover band, their own materiel is notably inferior to the Genesis songs they cover in their gigs.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: chazzaboy
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:36
Rip off bands To me they are tribute bands - they for some mysterious reasons are becoming popular by the minute.Australian Pink Floyd the biggest example - Just do not understand that - unless the fan base hasnt reached their 21st birthday yet

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 20:27
I asked for 70s and 80s rip off bands as they don't seem to be common. I know of PLENTY of them in the modern era, but that's no fun :)

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 20:53
^ That was one of the reasons that time was so special; originality and artistry were at a premium, it was to be expected.  

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 21:18
Druid is often pegged as a Yes clone.  I quite like them though, especially their second album. 

-------------

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 21:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Only it's nowhere near as good. Those guys are good players, but they come up short as composers. IMO, of course.

If you think they come up short as composers try In Lingua Mortua, one of their avant-black metal bands. Sooooo killer.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:04
Eloy occasionally ripped off Pink Floyd, but it was more in certain passages before they would warp out into their own style.  Try "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" to see what I mean.  But there are passages throughout Eloy albums very reminiscent of Floyd

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:17
What does the first track of this album remind you ofLOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc2Qe773Of8" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc2Qe773Of8

Not a bad album

-------------

Date Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:41
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

What does the first track of this album remind you ofLOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc2Qe773Of8" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc2Qe773Of8

Not a bad album

not bad at all!
smart enough to not clone the vocals  Tongue

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 06:47
The first prog band I ever saw was Druid - very close to Yes!!

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 11:23
Edhels were quite a take off on the instrumental side to Steve Hackett. I loved Edhels! Maybe their ideas were not intentionally molded around Steve Hackett's style...as sometimes that will occur, but it is very obvious on their first four releases. 

Ozric Tentacles are are very similar to Gong and Hawkwind. Ozric Tentacles fuse a funky Jazz Rock with Space Rock like Gong did in the 70's. They also bring forth the vibe in Hawkwind's music.

Solaris are a Jethro Tull rip off. I love Solaris and it doesn't seem to bother me. 

Lucifer Was, a band originally formed in the 70's ...also imitated the Jethro Tull style/sound.

PFM entered Genesis and ELP and made it quite obvious. As a matter of fact,,,they often copied YES as well. 

Far East Family Band are a rip off of Pink Floyd....Dark Side Of The Moon period. 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 11:23
Germany had a lot of ELP inspired powee trios, some very close to clones like:

1.- Tritonus (1975)

2.- Trilogy (1979)

This two come to mind

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 11:55
^thanks, Ivan, for introducing me to these two bands. I like them both, especially Trilogy.Thumbs Up

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:50
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I'm looking for bands that ripped off the prog giants, I'm not really talking about stuff like Marillion and Genesis, but stuff like Starcastle and Yes which is my example of a "rip off" band. How many of these bands are out there and what records do I need? Mind you, I don't enjoy this stuff too much... but it's sorta fun to listen to.

Hey!!  Starcastle were friends of mine in the mid-1970s!!  

They were heavily influenced by Yes, but did strive to take that classic sound (strong keyboards, guitar and bass with vocal harmonies) and give it an American spin.  I think they largely succeeded on their first LP, not so much on the second and third.  

RIP Gary Strater, one of the best bassists I've ever know.  

Many of the "ripoff" bands were highly influenced by the classic bands, so I don't consider them as ripping off the sound as trying to run with it and making it their own.  Marillion comes to mind right away, but other bands could include Magenta, Glass Hammer and many others.  

Interesting how few bands took the King Crimson formula forward, the one I often think of is the French band Nebel N'Est. 

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 18:59
Mastermind started up in the '80s and their melody lead lines (not the vocals) were very reminiscent of ELP/Keith Emerson, but Bill Berends played them all on guitar and guitar synthesizer...no keyboards! The first album, of course, exhibits ELP's influence more so than the rest (though they all do, up until Angels of the Apocalypse).

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 22:20

Edhels were quite a take off on the instrumental side to Steve Hackett. I loved Edhels! Maybe their ideas were not intentionally molded around Steve Hackett's style...as sometimes that will occur, but it is very obvious on their first four releases. 

I love Edhels too. Definitely Hackett's guitar style. Not Hackett's composition style, though. Everything in Edhels is a vehicle of support for the guitar, which kind of appeals to me, since I am rather guitar-centric in my tastes. It's like Steve Hackett without Banks, Magnus, and King. There are keyboards, true enough, but the guitar really drives everything.

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 22:58
Happy Family took the King Crimson formula just as other bands from the R.I.O. period. Some people in the past have said that Univers Zero took over where the King Crimson from the '69 to '74 period left off. To condense this theory more precisely I would say that the influence of the King Crimson formula to Univers Zero is not such a extreme measure unlike what these people are saying. In the case of Univers Zero and I had to put all my eggs in one basket, I would say Bella Bartok more so than King Crimson. 

I think it's ridiculous that Free System Project, John Dyson/Wavestar, and Michael Hoenig all went to extreme measures to sound like Tangerine Dream...when Steve Jolliffe, Johannes Schmolleing , Klaus Schulze, and Florian Fricke did not. I could probably come up with 10 or 15 artists who copied the T.D. of the 70's and most likely 20 artists that copied T.D. of the 80's. Nightcrawlers were not the only obvious ones.

Kansas copied ELP for particular sections of their music. The instrumental section in the center of "Songs From America" is taken from ELP's "Take A Pebble." The band GRACIOUS practically imitated King Crimson. Refugee were a combination of ELP, The Nice, and Genesis. The very early Barclay James Harvest was a rip off of The Moody Blues in the same way that Badfinger were a rip off of The Beatles. Beggars Opera were a total rip off of The Nice and Deep Purple. This is what I've always dreaded about Prog. It was too extreme! Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, and Jethro Tull sounded nothing a like, but everyone else ..with the exception of a few, sounded exactly like them. Gentle Giant..I respected because they only sounded like King Crimson in short sections of their songs and mostly on the early albums. Brand X were a rip off of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Not every track, but on the tracks that DID reveal the influence of John McLaughlin's writing, it was a waste for them to put that much energy into it. Time and time again...I would put on a Progressive Rock album and hear someone playing the chords John McLaughlin wrote , being placed into something a little less complex and I thought that was cheap. Another ridiculous rip off of ELP is on AS YOUR MIND FLIES BY ....by ..RARE BIRD. Graham Field was a fine keyboardist, but the music is ELP to the max and the vocals SOUND like Greg Lake regarding the tone and phrasing. It's just silly. It just seems like a silly thing to do when these people had great talent and they were wasting it by trying to sound like someone else. 

Date Posted: October 06 2015 at 23:28
Sometimes things just happen to resurface too without any overt attempt to copy. Peter Gabriel is known for his incorporation of Wold Music, but Jade Warrior had done it long before. Steve Hackett has done his share of World Music too and was unfairly accused of copying Gabriel (anyone who knows Hackett's discography knows he had long ago set out to incorporate EVERY style of music).

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 04:21
- Early Birth Control, with an emphasis on the organ, sounded like Atomic Rooster and ELP, although they had a distinctive lead singer.
- Skin Alley, with Nick Graham, were also a lot like Atomic Rooster.
- The aforementioned Druid were a good live band, but they suddenly disappeared from the club scene.
- Happy the Man were an American band that sounded like the Canterbury bands. I remember one of the Soft Machine musiicans saying there are Canterbury bands all over the world!
- Bob Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters is more like Hawkwind than Hawkwind.
- Illusion were really the original and best Renaissance.
- Isotope, with the amazing Gary Boyle, were the poor man's Mahavishnu Orchestra.
- Klaatu were hyped as a Beatles copy.
- Barclay James Harvest were called 'the poor man's Moody Blues,' but it was a compliment. 
- Osibisa copied Santana without the guitars, surprisingly successfully.
- Rush, Montrose and Beckett ripped off Led Zeppelin in the early days and weren't bad either.
- UK were an ELP copy but soon developed their own style.

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 04:46
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

- Early Birth Control, with an emphasis on the organ, sounded like Atomic Rooster and ELP, although they had a distinctive lead singer.
- The aforementioned Druid were a good live band, but they suddenly disappeared from the club scene.
- Happy the Man were an American band that sounded like the Canterbury bands. I remember one of the Soft Machine musiicans saying there are Canterbury bands all over the world!
- Bob Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters is more like Hawkwind than Hawkwind.
- Isotope, with the amazing Gary Boyle, were the poor man's Mahavishnu Orchestra.
- Barclay James Harvest were called 'the poor man's Moody Blues,' but it was a compliment. 
- Rush, Montrose and Beckett ripped off Led Zeppelin in the early days and weren't bad either.

True

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 04:47
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Sometimes things just happen to resurface too without any overt attempt to copy. Peter Gabriel is known for his incorporation of Wold Music, but Jade Warrior had done it long before. Steve Hackett has done his share of World Music too and was unfairly accused of copying Gabriel (anyone who knows Hackett's discography knows he had long ago set out to incorporate EVERY style of music).

True

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 11:00
If you are a musician and you are not productive, you're gonna get hurt. So what do you do? Copy the next guy and especially if you are too stupid to figure it out on your own. For example, I can't grow a third arm and play like Keith Emerson, so I'll just copy what I can. The idea has been around for a long time.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 11:50

Solaris are a Jethro Tull rip off. I love Solaris and it doesn't seem to bother me. 
What are you talking about?

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 12:52
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I don't hear that when I listen to Solaris

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 12:54
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 13:07

Kansas copied ELP for particular sections of their music. The instrumental section in the center of "Songs From America" is taken from ELP's "Take A Pebble."

Kansas famous used Journey's "Cookie Duster" as the basis for "Carry on Wayward Son."

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 13:17
Talking about ELP clones, this ones really crossed the line

Bondar & Wise......Even the photo of their album is a copy of Trilogy

And their music LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 13:31
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

me neither.  They both use flute

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 14:14

Illusion formed after the first Renaissance band folded after 2 albums..and sadly Relf died, so they picked up the pieces and went on without him as Illusion. But by that time Annie Haslam's Renaissance had been around for a while and Illusion never received any acclaim.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 14:42
^Illusion featured, at one point, former Strange Days drummer Eddie McNeil. 

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 14:58
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^Illusion featured, at one point, former Strange Days drummer Eddie McNeil. 

I'm embarrassed....never heard of him or Strange Days. I'll look them up.

Embarrassed

I just played the first two Relf Renaissance albums yesterday....still think they are just about as good as anything Haslam's Renaissance did.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 15:20
One important aspect of the clones = nearly none of them were able to approach the talent level of the original bands! 

There is only one Bob Fripp, one Steve Howe, one Rick Wakeman etc.  

Starcastle were great fun in concert, and they could blaze away, but the guitarists did not approach Howe in creativity nor talent.  It was all highly derivative.  

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 16:45

What am I talking about? Why don't you learn Solaris' music on an instrument and see how obvious it is? I mean ...if you can't hear the riffs from Thick As A Brick, War Child, and Songs From The Wood on the Solaris albums then I don't know what to tell you. 

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 16:52
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

[QUOTE=TODDLER]Solaris are a Jethro Tull rip off. I love Solaris and it doesn't seem to bother me. 
[/QUO

Well....that seems kind like a silly thing to say,  as if I'm pointing  this out based on the obvious knowledge that they both use flutes. You should listen closely

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

There is only one Bob Fripp, one Steve Howe, one Rick Wakeman etc.  

There is only one Steve Howe, indeed! And guys like Wakeman and Jan Hammer are among the fastest right-hand men when it comes to synth solos.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 19:36
Some people think Yezda Urfa is sort of a clone band... but. I would never consider them such myself. I like their 2 albums more than I like almost any Yes or Gentle Giant record.

Also... the first Hands compilation shows that they sounded quite a bit like Kansas but I also think I prefer them.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 19:49
King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon is a rip off of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King. Does that count?

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 19:55

King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon is a rip off of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King. Does that count?

haha. I think that album gets a bad rap but the only one that REALLY feels like a true ripoff is the Epitaph ripoff.

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: October 07 2015 at 20:20
McDonald & Giles wrote several songs while on the road with K.C. ...which if they had stayed with the band would have made up at least half of Poseidon. Maybe then it would have been more original and certainly not a copy cat version of their debut.

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 14:43
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Some people think Yezda Urfa is sort of a clone band... but. I would never consider them such myself. I like their 2 albums more than I like almost any Yes or Gentle Giant record.

Also... the first Hands compilation shows that they sounded quite a bit like Kansas but I also think I prefer them.

Do you mean Hands as in the symph/prog fusion  band....? If so they don't sound like Kansas to me, and imho they aren't even really  symph prog. Never understood that classification.
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 14:45

How is it a rip off...?

If one looks at many (if not most bands, reg and prog) their second albums are often very similar to the first.
So making an album in the same style is considered a rip off now...?
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: chazzaboy
Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 15:09
Rip off - It was the follow up - der

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 15:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Do you mean Hands as in the symph/prog fusion  band....? If so they don't sound like Kansas to me, and imho they aren't even really  symph prog. Never understood that classification.
Confused

Their latest album and the one before, Strangelet, are definitely not - nor do they sound remotely like Kansas. However, their earlier material (recorded in the late Seventies) may well have been different.

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 16:09

Confused

Their latest album and the one before, Strangelet, are definitely not - nor do they sound remotely like Kansas. However, their earlier material (recorded in the late Seventies) may well have been different.

Well...the very first one is more of a Canterbury prog fusion thing and doesn't sound anything like Kansas imho. I am not that familiar with the 2 after that.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 18:07

Confused

Well...the very first one is more of a Canterbury prog fusion thing and doesn't sound anything like Kansas imho. I am not that familiar with the 2 after that.

I don't know Kansas well enough to know I guess... Maybe I'm just a  Confused

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 21:52

How is it a rip off...?

If one looks at many (if not most bands, reg and prog) their second albums are often very similar to the first.
So making an album in the same style is considered a rip off now...?
Confused

Of course! You can expect that kind of comment on a Prog website. The irony though is people who often make a comment like this continue to listen to Prog music that is a redundant collection of copy cat nonsense and then they turn around and point to an observation like this. An observation from 1970 instead of realizing it exists more in the 21st century than ever before. Hoist their own petard on that one.

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 21:53

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

[QUOTE=TODDLER]Solaris are a Jethro Tull rip off. I love Solaris and it doesn't seem to bother me. 
[/QUO

Well....that seems kind of  a silly thing to say,  as if I'm pointing  this out based on the obvious knowledge that they both use flutes. You should listen closely

Date Posted: October 08 2015 at 23:59

Well, not nearly as much as Bob's rip-off of Gustav Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War" for his own song "The Devil's Triangle"!  LOL

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Crimson" rel="nofollow - King Crimson  performed a rock arrangement of "Mars" live in 1969.[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fripp" rel="nofollow - Robert Fripp  claimed authorship, with Holst receiving no composer credit.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets" rel="nofollow - http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: October 09 2015 at 00:47
I think Bi Kyo Ran wasn't mentioned yet. They are a japanese band who clearly copy King Crimson especially the Red album era. Why listen to them? because they are actually very good!
The first album came out in 82' and the second in 84', both are very good albums, recommended.

Date Posted: October 09 2015 at 01:49

Osibisa copied Santana without the guitars, surprisingly successfully.

No way

OSIBISA is a band that blended their native AFRICAN rhythms with Psychedelia, has nothing in common with Santana.

Santana focused in Salsa and Central American music, not in music from Ghana...As a fact, Teddy Osei and Sol Amarfio, started 10 years before Santana with a band called The Star Gazers playing Afro Dance and Jazz in Ghana, 

When joined by Mac Tontoh they form the Comets in 1962 and they were already playing the same kind of music as Osibisa, because when expatriated Osei and Amarfio got impressed with Rock which they added to the Afro High Life Dance Music.

They were the central lineup of Osibisa and formed The Cat Paws that turned into Osibisa after three Caribbean musicians joined.

So no way, OSIBISA are 100% original.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 08:57

Well, not nearly as much as Bob's rip-off of Gustav Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War" for his own song "The Devil's Triangle"!  LOL

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Crimson" rel="nofollow - King Crimson  performed a rock arrangement of "Mars" live in 1969.[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fripp" rel="nofollow - Robert Fripp  claimed authorship, with Holst receiving no composer credit.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets" rel="nofollow - http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

You are right and this was obviously in bad taste on Fripp's behalf. I mean just because he's Fripp..people will come up with the defense for him in a subtle, intellectual way which is always , (9 hundred and 99 times out of a thousand), a huge case of "what if's" . I just have a problem being convinced that Fripp himself would ever do something like this. Supposedly he adapted something from Bartok music written for string quartet on Larks, (although Bartok is not receiving credit), perhaps it is less revealing unlike "Devil's Triangle" being the obvious. It's really strange that someone would think in their own mind...that they could get away with replacing the original composers name with their own. Personally...I would have felt strange and awkward if I were to do something like this. I wouldn't be able to live with it and because of the principal alone. Is their some sort of Holst estate maintaining the protection for his music or is there some completely pointless law that applies the choice for people to exploit the options of an item being public domain. In otherwords, "I can borrow ...just to borrow for an extended time, credit my name, etc. So it's totally disgraceful because you are taking someone else's music , written in a different century ...and you're not willing to be honest and correct anyone who asks if you wrote it and it becomes accepted as a formality within the business. ????

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 09:10

I think Bi Kyo Ran wasn't mentioned yet. They are a japanese band who clearly copy King Crimson especially the Red album era. Why listen to them? because they are actually very good!
The first album came out in 82' and the second in 84', both are very good albums, recommended.

Never made that connection in my head. Bi Kyo Ran sound rawer/heavier and the vocals differentiate them. But now that you mentioned I should go back and check again!

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 11:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

No way

OSIBISA is a band that blended their native AFRICAN rhythms with Psychedelia, has nothing in common with Santana.

Santana focused in Salsa and Central American music, not in music from Ghana...As a fact, Teddy Osei and Sol Amarfio, started 10 years before Santana with a band called The Star Gazers playing Afro Dance and Jazz in Ghana, 

When joined by Mac Tontoh they form the Comets in 1962 and they were already playing the same kind of music as Osibisa, because when expatriated Osei and Amarfio got impressed with Rock which they added to the Afro High Life Dance Music.

They were the central lineup of Osibisa and formed The Cat Paws that turned into Osibisa after three Caribbean musicians joined.

Iván

In the Bio for Osibisa it mentions Santana influences. The bio was written by you, Ivan.

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 11:53
Nobody's mentioned any TD fetichists yet.

Arc
Redshift
Michael Garrison
Radio Massacre International
Neuronium
Node
Airsculpture
Wolfgang Bock
Ian Boddy
Dallas Campbell
Cosmic Ground
Earthstar
Emeralds
Free System Projekt
Steve Hauschildt
Michael Hoenig
Bernd Kistenmacher
Peak
Phrozenlight
Jonas Reinhardt
Robert Schroeder
Mark Shreeve
Space Art

Many more where they came from - some better than others (some even manage to take the TD ingredient and turn it into something semi-unique).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 12:14

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

No way

Iván

In the Bio for Osibisa it mentions Santana influences. The bio was written by you, Ivan.

And I stand on it.

I say INFLUENCED, you say RIPPED...Every band in the 60's was influenced by others, when The Beach Boys released an album, The Beatles took ideas, when Santana a added a Psiche organ to Latin Rock, everybody tried to do something similar with their native music.

It's obvious that the Psyche component has influences, but their Tribal African Rock is absolutely unique

But this doesn't mean they ripped anybody, they simply added some characteristics of other musicians to their already unique sound.

-------------

Posted By: Replayer
Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 13:07

I did mention Michael Garrison and Michael Hoenig on the first page Wink
I consider Garrison one of those who put his own stamp on the style with his classical training.
However, Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland copies TD's style down to a "T" (and a "D"!).

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 13:10
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I consider Garrison one of those who put his own stamp on the style with his classical training.
However, Hoenig's Departure from the Northern Wasteland copies TD's style down to a "T" (and a "D"!).

Mark Shreeve, as well. TD never recorded anything quite like Legion or Crash Head.

Hoenig was briefly in TD as a touring member, and he was in Agitation Free. Both bands knew of each other. It was only logical that he record a good ol' Berlin School album (and a great one, at that). Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Sorry my bad - must've slipped me.

Garrison did infuse the classic TD sound with his classical key skills but not enough to sound original imo. To me it sounds like TD with a guest.
Totally agree on Hoenig's Wasteland - an album that never grabbed me much. It kinda irritates me that he would make a carbon copy of Stratosfear instead of extrapolating on his own style. -A style that countered the smooth guitar work in Agitation Free. He sounded dangerous and edgy on those records. I would've loved to hear an album where he took that 'nerve' further.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 15:40

You are right and this was obviously in bad taste on Fripp's behalf. I mean just because he's Fripp..people will come up with the defense for him in a subtle, intellectual way which is always , (9 hundred and 99 times out of a thousand), a huge case of "what if's" . I just have a problem being convinced that Fripp himself would ever do something like this. Supposedly he adapted something from Bartok music written for string quartet on Larks, (although Bartok is not receiving credit), perhaps it is less revealing unlike "Devil's Triangle" being the obvious. It's really strange that someone would think in their own mind...that they could get away with replacing the original composers name with their own. Personally...I would have felt strange and awkward if I were to do something like this. I wouldn't be able to live with it and because of the principal alone. Is their some sort of Holst estate maintaining the protection for his music or is there some completely pointless law that applies the choice for people to exploit the options of an item being public domain. In otherwords, "I can borrow ...just to borrow for an extended time, credit my name, etc. So it's totally disgraceful because you are taking someone else's music , written in a different century ...and you're not willing to be honest and correct anyone who asks if you wrote it and it becomes accepted as a formality within the business. ????

I've read in numerous places where the estate of Gustav Holst sued Fripp over his unauthorized use of "Mars," and also read that they sued the Japanese electronic genius Tomita for his re-recording of "The Planets."  It might be urban legend, but it is a curious episode, considering how protective Fripp has been of his own music!  

Date Posted: October 11 2015 at 23:23

Well, he's not the only one,  Wakeman clearly ripped In In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg and if I'm not wrong only credited him after he was  warned.

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:47
When it comes to "borrowing" or appropriating others composers' works, Emerson is king. Some of the composers are credited, while the following are not:

With the Nice[ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Keith_Emerson&action=edit&section=7&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro" rel="nofollow - ]

• "America, 2nd Amendment", from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Story_%28musical%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Bernstein" rel="nofollow - - Antonín Dvořák 's symphony No. 9, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_%28Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck" rel="nofollow - quoting Bach, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Concerto" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie_Espagnole" rel="nofollow - - Édouard Lalo , credited.
  • "Azrael Revisited", quoting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Rachmaninoff" rel="nofollow - - Lennie Tristano 's Turkish Mambo, uncredited.
  • " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Longa_Vita_Brevis" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_Concerto" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia_Suite" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibelius" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tchaikovsky" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hardin" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porgy_and_Bess" rel="nofollow - - George Gershwin , uncredited.
  • " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Belongs_to_Me" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan" rel="nofollow - - The Magnificent Seven , by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Bernstein" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan" rel="nofollow - - Brandenburg Concerto , credited.

With ELP[ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Keith_Emerson&action=edit&section=8&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro" rel="nofollow - ]

• "The Barbarian", based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegro_barbaro_%28Bart%C3%B3k%29" rel="nofollow - - Béla Bartók , uncredited on US release of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_Lake_%26_Palmer_%28album%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinfonietta_%28Jan%C3%A1%C4%8Dek%29" rel="nofollow - - Leoš Janáček , uncredited on US release (credited on the British Manticore re-pressing of the original LP, on the back cover of the LP jacket); middle section based on the Allemande from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Suites" rel="nofollow - - J.S. Bach , uncredited.
  • "The Only Way (Hymn)", incorporating (in the song's introduction and bridge) J.S. Bach's ' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toccata_and_Fugue_in_F_major,_BWV_540" rel="nofollow - - Well-Tempered Clavier ', credited on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarkus" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Troup" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Cant_Help_It_%28song%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_%28bugle_call%29" rel="nofollow - - bugle call , both uncredited (on Tarkus).
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition" rel="nofollow - - Modest Mussorgsky , credited.
  • "Blues Variation" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_%28album%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_%28Bill_Evans_album%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkin" rel="nofollow -
  • " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_Rocker" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Fowley" rel="nofollow - - Tchaikovsky 's "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (uncredited).
  • "Hoedown", from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodeo_%28ballet%29" rel="nofollow - - Aaron Copland , credited, quoting " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortenin_Bread" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_in_the_Straw" rel="nofollow -
  • "Abaddon's Bolero", quoting " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_I_Left_Behind" rel="nofollow -
  • " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_did_those_feet_in_ancient_time" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Parry" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_Leaf_Rag" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Joplin" rel="nofollow - - Works Volume 2 ), credited.
  • "Toccata", from a piano concerto by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Ginastera" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Thomas_%28song%29" rel="nofollow - a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean" rel="nofollow - - Sonny Rollins , uncredited.
  • " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_for_the_Common_Man" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Copland" rel="nofollow - - Carmina Burana , by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Orff" rel="nofollow - Fantasia on Greensleeves Not credited. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Emerson#cite_note-18" rel="nofollow - - [18]
  • With Emerson, Lake & Powell, "Mars" is based on the homonym movement of the suite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets" rel="nofollow - - Gustav Holst
  • "Romeo & Juliet" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_and_Juliet_%28Prokofiev%29" rel="nofollow - - Sergei Prokofiev , credited.
  • "Love at First Sight" intro, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tude_Op._10,_No._1_%28Chopin%29" rel="nofollow - - Frédéric Chopin , uncredited.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:48
Starcastle copied Yes like no other. It sickened me.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk