URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106620
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Englishness and English Phlegm in Prog
Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Subject: Englishness and English Phlegm in Prog
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 04:19
Hey gang!

The original progressive rock is definitely an English invention. Many bands have that undeniable English phlegm in their music. This could usually be traced to influence of English folk of the middle ages and renaissance, like in Gentle Giant, Gryphon, Spirogyra, Lindisfarne, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Comus, Strawbs, Caravan and many more. But it does not end just there. Also, lyrically, there is just something so English about In The Court Of The Crimson King (especially the title track). Even "Time" from Dark Side Of The Moon brings in a little bit of this Englishness with "...Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...".

Anyway, I would be very thankful if you shared your thoughts and shared some bands that have that element in their music.

I'll kick it off with a few tracks.

Replies:
Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 04:25
England for me is :

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MqfF0WBsU

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 04:31
There is no such word as flegm in the English language. If you mean "phlegm", which is a mucous catarrh occasionally coughed up from the lungs, I can't recall hearing it on an album. ;-)

If you mean "phlegmatic", ie peaceful and relaxed, that's not solely an English trait. However, thanks for the post and I will look out for more coughing noises when listening to prog rock. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 04:43
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

There is no such word as flegm in the English language. If you mean "phlegm", which is a mucous catarrh occasionally coughed up from the lungs, I can't recall hearing it on an album. ;-)

If you mean "phlegmatic", ie peaceful and relaxed, that's not solely an English trait. However, thanks for the post and I will look out for more coughing noises when listening to prog rock. 

Yeah, sorry, wrong spelling, forgive me. What I meant by English Phlegm was the type of slowness and the reserve that the English stereotypically are said to have. That is in a way reflected in the music, sometimes.

Anyway, good luck finding coughing noises when listening to prog rock...

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 05:12
The whole album (part 1 / part 2 / full power) is saturated with Englishness.
This song is an outstanding example Smile:

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 08:19
Hare hare supermarket. Hare Hare London Bus....

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 09:12
Most of the stuff I like has that quintessential Brit prog thing going on.....but one of my faves;

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:47
Can I just say, this is the first time I've heard Uncle Jack by Big Big Train, and it's genuinely like a breath of fresh spring air. Perfect for the weather right now. Thanks someone_else for making me stumble across it. Smile

Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:56
I don't think prog rock as a whole reflects "Englishness", whatever that is, and I'm English. Spanish or French prog rock probably does the same in certain circumstances, but that's a function of nationality and not necessarily of prog rock. ;-)

By way of example, Dr Wu (thanks) has posted Bedside manners are extra. Another track by Greenslade is "Catalan", which..... sounds, er, Catalan. ;-)

However. This does it for me if you're thinking "Phlegm". ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 12:20

I don't think prog rock as a whole reflects "Englishness", whatever that is, and I'm English. Spanish or French prog rock probably does the same in certain circumstances, but that's a function of nationality and not necessarily of prog rock. ;-)

By way of example, Dr Wu (thanks) has posted Bedside manners are extra. Another track by Greenslade is "Catalan", which..... sounds, er, Catalan. ;-)

I think it does reflect Englishness and it might be naturally hard to observe this for you as a native. However, my little philosophy doesn't go far beyond prog's allusions to England's history and (musically) to English art music of the middle ages, renaissance and baroque as well as countryside plainsongs. The impact of those is evident on countless prog works, one of them being Selling England By The Pound by Genesis. I like how you said "that's a function of nationality and not necessarily of prog rock". That's a good point. Progressive Rock bands however (unlike many English bands of other genres) did make that much effort to allude to England's unique culture and history as well as English musical traditions.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 14:28
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Anyway, good luck finding coughing noises when listening to prog rock...
Sorry, only some British-inspired American phlegm there.

/thread-derailing

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 15:24
A couple of lessor known ones:   Fantasy- Paint A Picture and Spring-st.
One of my favorite obscure Brit prog things....

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 15:50
It is certainly a trait of nationalities generally rather than just an English/ British trait.. Ange are 'deeply'  French and most of the RPI bands are 'deeply' Italian.. and its that sense of national spirit (I don't mean Nationalist I mean the history of the land, people and 'sense of place' which is reflected in the music) that appeals to me. But yes there is deeply English or British 'Pastoral' progressive rock and for me bands like Stackridge, The incredible String band, Hatfield and the North, Matching Mole as well as bands like Caravan, Early Genesis and Barclay James Harvest and Procol Harum really express this.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 21:57

Actually, I've heard Ian Anderson doing that phlegm thing on a few live albums, mostly I remember it from the Live at Montreux one, on Bourée and My God, if I remember correctly. Totally disgusting detail to add to those versions of the songs... though the performance of them are my very favourites on both songs.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 00:30
Nik Kershaw said in an interview that whenever he write songs or plays guitar they always when hes not thinking about it channels englishness, pastoral, folksyness, like natualy even in gospel or jazz inspired riffs, that pastoral or even more sacred the feel of having anciant druids in your head.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 07:49
Well, what's "Englishness", really ? 

(Puh LEASE don't say "Britishness". Britain refers to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.)

I got a comment on here saying "Since you're English, you may not know what "Englishness" is all about. Which is slightly logically odd. 

The "Englishness" which prog rock tends to refer to is all about a vision of tea and scones and cricket, of long lazy summer days gone by. It's not got much to do with reality - you could argue that the Sex Pistols' God save the Queen was more indicative of what it was to be English in 1977.

If you all think we drink tea and live in castles, I'll have to instruct the butler to give you a damn good thrashing. ;-)

I'd actually contend that the sense of "English whimsy" referred to by a lot of prog rock sounds originated a few years earlier with psychedelia, notably Syd Barrett, early Floyd, etc. 

Next !!! Obviously a post on "Teutonia" where I refer to the Germans as being obsessed with sausages and oompah music. Obviously no Germans can point out that this is "not German" as they live there and are too close to the subject to be taken seriously. ;-) 

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 09:11
There actually was a very short piece  in either Prog magazine or Mojo (a few years back) that listed their ten songs that epitomized that British feel in prog and rock ......Tull's- Living In The Past and Greenslades -Bedside Manners were both on the list.....sadly I cannot recall the other tracks. I think XTC's -Chalkhill's and Gardens was also on the list.
Embarrassed

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:38
British, he said British !!! ;-)

ENGLISH is
Pertaining to the single country of England

BRITISH is pertaining to four countries which form Great Britain - which are very different in character.

England
Scotland
Northern Ireland
Wales

Can we puh-lease get this basic fact right, folks ? ;-)

English national characteristics - allegedly tea, perversions, doffing hats to ladies. All live in draughty castles, everyone knows the Queen.
Scottish.... being careful with money, large orange beards, inedible cuisine, torture of musical instruments.
Wales - dourness, collection of sheep, coal mining, singing, playing harps
Northern Ireland - building ships and ... generally building ships. Speech impediments.

It may not seem important to outsiders, but it's like calling a Brazilian an American. :-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:50

I got a comment on here saying "Since you're English, you may not know what "Englishness" is all about. Which is slightly logically odd.

That is not what I said, clearly not what i said.
I said:
"I think it does reflect Englishness and it might be naturally hard to observe this for you as a native."
What I meant was that you have got used to the Englishness and it is nothing special to you, just an everyday characteristic. I hope it's not logically odd now.

Anyway, this is clearly something that some people see, some don't. And that's all that is to it :)

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:52
Yeah, well you seem to think this reflects Englishness..... :-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:53
Sorry to disappoint you, but this is what I and half the country grew up with. ;-)

But hey ho, there you go. As I think I mentioned, "whimsy". ;-)
Yes, there is a "feel" of "something supposed to be English" on a lot of albums which were done by middle class kids from Public Schools in the late sixties. It's what England is supposed to be like. 

The truth is a little more... gritty. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:55
Which could lead to an interesting spinoff conversation, but probably won't. ;-)

Just to re-quote - 

""I think it does reflect Englishness and it might be naturally hard to observe this for you as a native."
What I meant was that you have got used to the Englishness and it is nothing special to you, just an everyday characteristic. I hope it's not logically odd now. "

That wasn't what I was saying, alas. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 11:05
In my, er, English view:

Prog rock tends to harken back to a romanticised and highly selective view of "Englishness" which probably echoes what was going on with a lot of music in the psychedelic era. Matter of fact, there was a BBC documentary on recently which hypothesised about that at great length. 

I had no idea that this would, to be honest, be popular overseas. It certainly obviously didn't reflect real life here for the vast majority of the urban population. 

There are some fantastic photos of life in the slums of Manchester here - 

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/news/shelter-nick-hedges-make-life-worth-living-manchester

- that's basically my childhood, to be honest. Cricket on the village green it certainly wasn't.

I think it also goes some way to explaining the demise of prog rock here in the UK. Someone comes onstage wearing an elf cape and sings stuff which has increasingly less relevance to you when you're working a three day week and the electricity goes off most of the time due to strikes..........

Now, I'm not trying to ruin a thread here, I'm trying to inject an interesting spinoff. Yes, a lot of prog rock paints a picture of an England which never existed, or existed for a few people only. It harkens back to a near non-existent golden age. I think it's just as interesting to discuss *why* as to put examples of the genre up. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 11:07
English.....British....you say toematoe...I say tomato......Wink......
but I honestly don't recall what the article stressed but I'm betting it was 'English' ....pastoral styles and that whimsy found in the public schools and countryside.....but then not being 'English'.....I'm sure I'm missing the core theme anyway.
Embarrassed

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 11:12
English.... British...... believe me, it is seen as being important here.

It's like me calling someone from, say, Texas a "Yank." That'd go down well. I don't think. ;-)
Similarly, call a Scotsman "English", see what happens. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 11:27

In my, er, English view:

Prog rock tends to harken back to a romanticised and highly selective view of "Englishness" which probably echoes what was going on with a lot of music in the psychedelic era. Matter of fact, there was a BBC documentary on recently which hypothesised about that at great length. 

I had no idea that this would, to be honest, be popular overseas. It certainly obviously didn't reflect real life here for the vast majority of the urban population. 

There are some fantastic photos of life in the slums of Manchester here - 

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/news/shelter-nick-hedges-make-life-worth-living-manchester

- that's basically my childhood, to be honest. Cricket on the village green it certainly wasn't.

I think it also goes some way to explaining the demise of prog rock here in the UK. Someone comes onstage wearing an elf cape and sings stuff which has increasingly less relevance to you when you're working a three day week and the electricity goes off most of the time due to strikes..........

Now, I'm not trying to ruin a thread here, I'm trying to inject an interesting spinoff. Yes, a lot of prog rock paints a picture of an England which never existed, or existed for a few people only. It harkens back to a near non-existent golden age. I think it's just as interesting to discuss *why* as to put examples of the genre up. 

Obviously, good point. I am well aware of the big lower class in England. However, consider that progressive rock was born out of upper middle-class "Bohemian" intelligentsia usually with leftist political views from the southern parts of England (maybe with an exception of Jethro Tull and The Moodies). When I see the pictures you posted I think "punk". Because English society is very class-based, isn't it?

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 11:32
Gerry and the Pacemakers vs. Herman's Hermits

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 13:28

::snip <<video for Grantchester Meadows>> ::

I think it does reflect Englishness and it might be naturally hard to observe this for you as a native. However, my little philosophy doesn't go far beyond prog's allusions to England's history and (musically) to English art music of the middle ages, renaissance and baroque as well as countryside plainsongs. The impact of those is evident on countless prog works, one of them being Selling England By The Pound by Genesis. I like how you said "that's a function of nationality and not necessarily of prog rock". That's a good point. Progressive Rock bands however (unlike many English bands of other genres) did make that much effort to allude to England's unique culture and history as well as English musical traditions.
Ah... but that's not what "phlegm" and "phlegmatic" means. I agree with Dave here and that's nothing to do with not being able to observe this in ourselves. English reserve is a façade that we construct from understatement and controlled sarcasm - natives can recognise the subtleties of this in each other that non-nationals misinterpret as unemotional stoicism. (For example the apparent laissez faire calm English response of "That's all right, don't worry about it" actually means the opposite :- "it is certainly not all right and if you don't apologise immediately then you'll soon be sorry..."). A nation that has been at war with practically every nation in the world (including ourselves) at some time in history can never be described as "peaceful and relaxed" Wink

The phlegmatic stereotype of the English is not universal as not all nationalities see us that way. Originally it was attributed to us by easily excitable types (erm... like the Gauls) who lacked the self-control necessary to not make a public spectacle of showing their emotions. The English just see that kind of thing as impolite and rather unnecessary.

SEbtP is undeniably English but it cannot be phlegmatic, only something capable of having an emotional response can be phlegmatic (or choleric, sanguine or melancholic). The person who wrote the music can be phlegmatic but what they produce can have any emotion they care to impart it with.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 14:07
Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and the rise of NWOBHM is as English as Genesis etc; Their background reflects the urban situation (and some extent that great English obsession, Class) from which the bands originated. Similar things were happening in Detroit and Dusseldorf..

Yes, a tough urban upbringing in Manchester is equally 'English' to growing up in Buckinghamshire or the Cotswolds or Devon in the 1960's.. but only equally.. not everyone who grew up in a more rural situation owned a castle, was posh or went to private schools! life in the sticks could be pretty grim too if you were a farmworker in a tied cottage suddenly made unemployed and homeless! But yes there was pigeons cooing in the horse chestnut trees and cricket on the green but there was still deprivation and poverty..

Again, just as many people found reassurance, solace and escape in elements of progressive rock in the early mid 70's  during the power cuts and three day weeks as rejected it and pushed towards a more political 'keep it real' stance with punk. Neither were right or wrong as it turned out; just the two sides of the same coin.

Every country (certainly every European country) has its own music which reflects this mix of urban and rural, political realism and mystical, pastoral whimsy which reflects its own history and social/ ethnic mixes. Go and explore and enjoy- England, Britain.. its just a very small part of something much bigger.

-------------

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 14:29
Another thread bogged down in pernickety pedantry.

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 14:58
you are right. I apologise.

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:08
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

That's all right, don't worry about it...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:33
Quote 'For example the apparent laissez faire calm English response of "That's all right, don't worry about it" actually means the opposite :- "it is certainly not all right and if you don't apologise immediately then you'll soon be sorry...' Winky face emoticon..

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:38

Scottish.... being careful with money, large orange beards, inedible cuisine, torture of musical instruments.

Q:  What is the definition of a gentleman?

A:  Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes but chooses not to Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 17:24
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

well this was a thread about Englishness LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:00

English.... British...... believe me, it is seen as being important here.

It's like me calling someone from, say, Texas a "Yank." That'd go down well. I don't think. ;-)
Similarly, call a Scotsman "English", see what happens. ;-)

Welllll... sort of.  

A Texan is certainly not a Yank but most certainly is an American and would readily become a nationalistic patriot at the first sign of trouble unless the trouble was coming from the Federal government at Texas.   A Scot is most certainly not English (which, by the way, I think most people get), and would take issue with that in the same way a Texan might jeer New York City or Abraham Lincoln, but technically is a Brit and I'm guessing would defend his little "British" island against any and all comers. 

They are Scots, after all, and love a good fight.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:43
...anyway...

Perfectly quintessential unphlegmatic Englishnessnessness from the third (or possibly fourth, *shrug*) most well-known English Progressive Rock band you've possibly never heard of:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:59
What is the difference between the suffixes of esque as i Beatleesque and ian Pink Floydian (Floydian) and ness Englishness or Frenchness, why is it not Beatleian or Floydesque, what differences the value of esque and ian, imo music can both be Floydian and Floydesque but not Floydness?

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2016 at 20:04
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

What is the difference between the suffixes of esque as i Beatleesque and ian Pink Floydian (Floydian) and ness Englishness or Frenchness, why is it not Beatleian or Floydesque, what differences the value of esque and ian, imo music can both be Floydian and Floydesque but not Floydness?

-ness is "the state or quality of being" ... added to an adjective to form a noun
-esque is "in the style of" ... added to an noun to form an adjective
-ian is "related or belonging to or originating from" ... added to a noun to form an adjective
-ic is "of or pertaining to" ... added to nouns to form adjectives
-ish is "similar to" "or associated with" ... added to nouns or adjectives to form adjectives or nouns

So Floydian and Floydesque are perfectly correct as Floyd is a noun and the resulting word is an adjective (describing word). Floydnesss is incorrect because Floyd is not an adjective. [I guess you could say Floydianness... if you really must]

(...I know what you are thinking...) English is a noun so why is Englishness not incorrect. Here 'English" is used as an adjective that means "of or pertaining to England, its inhabitants" ... 

As to why Beatlesque and not Beatleian - that's simply a matter of what sounds best or is easiest to say (I think that Floyd-esque is possibly used more that Floydian).

-------------
What?

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 01:26
In french we say : Pink Floydien

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 02:44
Sorry, it's not "a thread bogged down in pendantic nit picking".

What I find ... irritating..... is when someone from a different culture comes on a thread and tells me what it is to be English, and then tells me I can't possibly know, as I'm English, and therefore can't see it. 

File under "patronising", cross file under "stupidity".

If this thread is just "let's all have a little club where we post songs which have some kind of proto- English connection to them", then that's just some boring game which is probably on a level of the "solve if u r genius" threads you see all over social media. Boring, boring, boring.

(As for the "lots of low class" in England, sh*tfire, man, WORKING class. "Low class" is an insult. And if you don't know the difference between "English" and "British" then what are you doing commenting on this thread ??????? )

I stuck my oar in here because (a) I find a lot of people telling me what it is to be English who don't have a clue and (b) there's a MUCH more interesting point here. 

Prog rock starts off by being brewed up by a number of privileged middle class kids at a selective number of universities. Their music is listened to by very worthy promoters and producers from an upper middle class background who then decide what the General Unwashed Public are going to hear. Prog rock picks up on a wistful yearning for childhood and bucolic themes of nature from the previous psychedelic era (although it does to an extent intermingle with it.) This is played to people who have a choice of Max Bygraves or a few other groups..... who generally live in housing stock which hasn't changed all that much since 1915. Remember, two world wars, rationing, near bankrupt country.

When prog comes out - late sixties - things are beginning to change in the UK. And the rest of the world, for that matter. Living standards are, for the first time since WW2, increasing. There is - across the world, a sense of the optimistic or possible. This is reflected in the music. People are more inclined to consider new forms of music (look at Krautrock in Germany: the art of the new and experimental replacing the older establishment Schlager music). So, at the time, prog rock becomes acceptable. It's fantasy, experiment and a yearning for a bucolic, mythical golden age which is certainly a bit nicer than living in a smoke blackened terraced house with a gasometer at the end of the road. 

What happens ? Well, after a while, the dream, which is still somewhat of a hippie / psychedelic dream, goes pretty sour in the UK, with increased strikes, social tension.... reality kicks in. And then you get a more angry, uptempo music replacing it which pretty much echoes what is going on in society. So. Is THAT actually "English" ? Is punk rock - a reflection of youth culture in the late 1970's - more reflective of being "English" than music created and distributed by a very few privileged people a few years before ? And, as Dean says, why on Earth do people outside of the UK think that the English are somehow bucolic, slow moving and ponderous ? 

So I find that a bit more of an interesting conversational subject than people telling me "what it is to be English and how I can't hear English themes in music because I'm English myself. " Do me a favour. 

It also completely overlooks the fact that English musicians have English influences and are playing in England. What do you expect them to sound like ? Chinese ????? Yes, people copied it. With - as we can see - no understanding whatsoever. 

By all means have fun posting "examples of Englishness in music" but please don't confuse it with *actually being English" unless you've been here and lived here. Otherwise I'll tell you all about your country and what it's like and then tell you you're wrong. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 07:19
This says "England and Englishness" to me.
Possibly because he's English. ;-) Good track, too. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 08:54

Sorry, it's not "a thread bogged down in pendantic nit picking".

What I find ... irritating..... is when someone from a different culture comes on a thread and tells me what it is to be English, and then tells me I can't possibly know, as I'm English, and therefore can't see it. 

File under "patronising", cross file under "stupidity".

If this thread is just "let's all have a little club where we post songs which have some kind of proto- English connection to them", then that's just some boring game which is probably on a level of the "solve if u r genius" threads you see all over social media. Boring, boring, boring.

(As for the "lots of low class" in England, sh*tfire, man, WORKING class. "Low class" is an insult. And if you don't know the difference between "English" and "British" then what are you doing commenting on this thread ??????? )

I stuck my oar in here because (a) I find a lot of people telling me what it is to be English who don't have a clue and (b) there's a MUCH more interesting point here. 

Prog rock starts off by being brewed up by a number of privileged middle class kids at a selective number of universities. Their music is listened to by very worthy promoters and producers from an upper middle class background who then decide what the General Unwashed Public are going to hear. Prog rock picks up on a wistful yearning for childhood and bucolic themes of nature from the previous psychedelic era (although it does to an extent intermingle with it.) This is played to people who have a choice of Max Bygraves or a few other groups..... who generally live in housing stock which hasn't changed all that much since 1915. Remember, two world wars, rationing, near bankrupt country.

When prog comes out - late sixties - things are beginning to change in the UK. And the rest of the world, for that matter. Living standards are, for the first time since WW2, increasing. There is - across the world, a sense of the optimistic or possible. This is reflected in the music. People are more inclined to consider new forms of music (look at Krautrock in Germany: the art of the new and experimental replacing the older establishment Schlager music). So, at the time, prog rock becomes acceptable. It's fantasy, experiment and a yearning for a bucolic, mythical golden age which is certainly a bit nicer than living in a smoke blackened terraced house with a gasometer at the end of the road. 

What happens ? Well, after a while, the dream, which is still somewhat of a hippie / psychedelic dream, goes pretty sour in the UK, with increased strikes, social tension.... reality kicks in. And then you get a more angry, uptempo music replacing it which pretty much echoes what is going on in society. So. Is THAT actually "English" ? Is punk rock - a reflection of youth culture in the late 1970's - more reflective of being "English" than music created and distributed by a very few privileged people a few years before ? And, as Dean says, why on Earth do people outside of the UK think that the English are somehow bucolic, slow moving and ponderous ? 

So I find that a bit more of an interesting conversational subject than people telling me "what it is to be English and how I can't hear English themes in music because I'm English myself. " Do me a favour. 

It also completely overlooks the fact that English musicians have English influences and are playing in England. What do you expect them to sound like ? Chinese ????? Yes, people copied it. With - as we can see - no understanding whatsoever. 

By all means have fun posting "examples of Englishness in music" but please don't confuse it with *actually being English" unless you've been here and lived here. Otherwise I'll tell you all about your country and what it's like and then tell you you're wrong. 

Sorry.
To clear up. What I meant was that the Englishness is really what foreigners saw. You as a British person do know that really it's an imaginated thing or true only to a small extent. I am aware that "Englishness" is not actually being English, I have been to England numerous times. And as to confusing low class with working class, sorry, I did mean working class, I didn't mean to offend anyone. And as to the difference between British and English, if you look through preivous posts, I did not say that there is no difference. English phlegm might have been an inaccurate term, I agree.
I didn't mean to get you angry, man... Unhappy
I am thinking about deleting the thread as it brought rather negative emotions, which wasn't my point in the first place.

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 09:43
:-) No problem ! ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 10:01
Big smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 10:29

I am thinking about deleting the thread as it brought rather negative emotions, which wasn't my point in the first place.
You can't, even if you wanted too. Tongue

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 10:47
No, it's honestly more interesting now. Seriously, you'll find that the English don't actually take mortal offence to stuff like this, it's just our sense of humour. ;-) I'm rather amused that a lot of foreign people have this view of the English. 

It's also quite interesting to reflect that a lot of prog rock from the 60's and 70's has scenes of bucolic idyll in, which hadn't existed here since, well, about 1760 and the Industrial Revolution (remember, we're the first country to industrialise by a long way) - it's just weird. Of course, within a few years, the music changes, the references change, too.

I could just have easily put up "Forgotten Sons" by Marillion, which is all about getting your nuts shot off in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. That reflected a lot on the actual times, and was probably more about being English in the mid 80's than sipping tea by a cricket pitch lyrics in 1974. 

Please don't stop putting up threads about what you perceive as what it is to be "English" either, honestly, go right ahead because not doing so deprives of us some good music. Could we please not think that it's anything other than a cartoon version of being English, though ? ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 11:35
As Dave says, this discussion is a little more interesting and thought provoking than just posting examples that illustrate the original premiss, but are in fact misleading....

A fair assessment but not one I wholly agree with. England in the early 1970 was already beginning to lose the optimism that the middle of sixties represented (the white heat of technology ... or 1963 and all that), the post-flower-power psychedelic dream bubble had already burst. Prog Rock was as much a product of that as Punk was a few years later - 21st Century Schizoid Man is a perfect example of the rapidly fading optimism; with Dark Side of the Moon (ignoring the insanity subtext) we see modern life viewed with cynicism; Selling England By The Pound paints images in pastoral shades that are contrary to the stories they tell (all that fighting and stamping & shouting) ... and this is before we even start looking at Van der Graaf Generator.

Prog Rock came in many shades and hews some of it was a continuation out of psychedelia and hippiedom and some of it was a reaction to it, just as Krautrock was as much a reaction to western (Anglo/American) popular music as it was to Schlager music.

Twee, this is not:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 04 2016 at 14:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As Dave says, this discussion is a little more interesting and thought provoking than just posting examples that illustrate the original premiss, but are in fact misleading....

A fair assessment but not one I wholly agree with. England in the early 1970 was already beginning to lose the optimism that the middle of sixties represented (the white heat of technology ... or 1963 and all that), the post-flower-power psychedelic dream bubble had already burst. Prog Rock was as much a product of that as Punk was a few years later - 21st Century Schizoid Man is a perfect example of the rapidly fading optimism; with Dark Side of the Moon (ignoring the insanity subtext) we see modern life viewed with cynicism; Selling England By The Pound paints images in pastoral shades that are contrary to the stories they tell (all that fighting and stamping & shouting) ... and this is before we even start looking at Van der Graaf Generator.

Prog Rock came in many shades and hews some of it was a continuation out of psychedelia and hippiedom and some of it was a reaction to it, just as Krautrock was as much a reaction to western (Anglo/American) popular music as it was to Schlager music.

Twee, this is not:

Well said, thank you. The Van Der Graaf Generator song is also great, I've just bought Still Life on vinyl a few days ago.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 02:29

...anyway...

Perfectly quintessential unphlegmatic Englishnessnessness from the third (or possibly fourth, *shrug*) most well-known English Progressive Rock band you've possibly never heard of:

This is absolutely stunningClap, but I couldn't remember it on ny of the first five studio albumsConfused... I had to search for (and finally found)  it in the bonus tracks of Friendliness... Was this ever released in the 70's?

I'd have loved this to be on their debut album or Extravaganza (my two fave Stackridge album)

Posted By: malsader
Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 08:32
Not meaning to digress from the main topic of the posting, but I have to correct you on the matter of "Britishness".
Britain is not England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Britain is just England Scotland and wales. The term The United Kingdom refers to England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, hence the correct term being: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 08:52
^.....and now the thread has officially become pedantic.

LOL

ps: thanks to whomever posted that Stackridge track.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:03
Not as pedantic as it could be. ;-)

Sean Trane, thanks, mate. Official prize for the most obscure prog rock band ever, surely. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 12:27

Not as pedantic as it could be. ;-)

Sean Trane, thanks, mate. Official prize for the most obscure prog rock band ever, surely. ;-)

I'm the one who introduced the band in PA's database (well with my PF team did, on my initiative), but it took Dean to bring it back to the forefront for its minute of glory in the 10's Wink

And if Brexit ever occurs, I bet the UK will not be of Great Britain anymore as the Scots will likely win the next referendum (the Nationalists won big time in the North-of-Adrian-Wall elections.

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 13:49
In doing so, some Irish-folk-prog (I believe this is based on Irish folk, not 100% positive) might do :)

Perhaps not as obscure as Stackridge, but criminally underrated!
Also, thanks to Dean for the Stackridge "recommendation". Really good band, I had never heard of them until you posted them!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 14:55
Phlegm - Richard Sinclair gurgles

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 16:04
Having grown up on Teesside and in Newcastle I'm with Dave (and Dean)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 16:56
Originally posted by malsader malsader wrote:

Not meaning to digress from the main topic of the posting, but I have to correct you on the matter of "Britishness".
Britain is not England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Britain is just England Scotland and wales. The term The United Kingdom refers to England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, hence the correct term being: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The name Great Britain is actually the Greek term for the largest island in the island archipelago of the British Isles, the next largest island they called Little Britain ('mikris Brettanias') which we now call Ireland. Since this is an island grouping defined by geography and not an arbitrary scribbling of lines on a map drawn by kings, princes and generals the island of Ireland will always be British...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 17:33

The name Great Britain is actually the Greek term for the largest island in the island archipelago of the British Isles, the next largest island they called Little Britain ('mikris Brettanias') which we now call Ireland. Since this is an island grouping defined by geography and not an arbitrary scribbling of lines on a map drawn by kings, princes and generals the island of Ireland will always be British...

Didn't the Greeks call the main island Albion, because of the white cliffs of Dover, seen from the continent?

Date Posted: May 06 2016 at 18:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Didn't the Greeks call the main island Albion, because of the white cliffs of Dover, seen from the continent?
Albion is the older of the two names the Greeks gave it, though whether it was derived from the off-white cliffs of Dover or not is pure conjecture

-------------
What?

Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 01:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Having grown up on Teesside and in Newcastle I'm with Dave (and Dean)

I would like to believe it is not really about being with anyone. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion and so I'm really delighted for us to be able to share different opinions, discuss, learn (in my case) in a polite and affable manner. That's one of the great things about Progarchives forums. Smile

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 03:14
I guess the epitome of the kind of Englishness the OP is referring to, and self-consciously so, would be the band England (natch...) and their album Garden Shed:

Excellent musicianship for sure - but for my taste, too twee.

That record came out in 1977. I would have been nine. My experience of England, at the junior school I went to in Leeds, was a bit different. The question that if you were unlucky the big lads would ask you in the playground was whether you were a Mod, a Rocker or a Punk - the third element having been added about a year previously. And yeah, Leeds and Bradford were so massively behind the times that Mods vs. Rockers was still a thing there in the late seventies. The answer you gave to the question didn't really matter, though, it was just a pretext to thump you.

Of course your tribal musical identity at that age was passed down from older brothers, if you had them.  Apart from my mate Carl who idolised Elvis and wore a bootlace tie to school (1977 would turn out to be a bad year for him) I don't remember anyone having much interest in actual music beyond TOTP and what was on the radio.  Some lads had Northern Soul patches on their denim jackets, but that was an older brother thing again.  I didn't have one, but of my friends who did, most had gone punk. That didn't mean they'd thrown their Pink Floyd albums away, though - they weren't daft, after all.

Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 04:34

I used to live in Deal and work in Folkestone, so I went through Dover every day. Actually, the white cliffs are green when you get up close to them due to mould and algae. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: malsader
Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 09:21
You are absolutely correct. I am referring not to the historical/geographic naming but to the modern political one. I am not a fan of Wikipedia but here goes any way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom" rel="nofollow - The United Kingdom
and
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm" rel="nofollow - Great Britain

Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 09:45
Top Gear got lot of phelgm la britannia

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 12:33

I used to live in Deal and work in Folkestone, so I went through Dover every day. Actually, the white cliffs are green when you get up close to them due to mould and algae. ;-)

well, no doubt that up close... you'd get the same thing in Boulogne (called Blanc Nez cape) area and the Normandy cliff too in that case ... Last time I was in Hastings (October under the rain) , the cliffs were whitish too

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: May 08 2016 at 08:46
It is probably no coincidence that prog emerged in England of all places. But I don't think "English phlegm" - whatever that may be! - played a major role. I conjecture that the following factors were involved:

1. England was the place where rock and roll matured - and returned to America after the Payola scandal and several rock'n'roll stars disappeared in jail, the army or the realm of the dead, giving way to Brill Building pop until the Beatles and their ilk invaded.

2. England, with composers like Tippett and Britten, was the last stronghold of tonal classical music in the second half of the 20th century in the free world, resisting against the serialist paradigm that had taken over on the Continent and in North America by then. This enabled English rock musicians to draw on the tradition of tonal classical music without seeming to fall out of time too much.

3. Related to the above, the influence of Anglican church music on progressive rock has been pointed out by various scholars.

4. In England, romanticism had married with progressive political thought, while elsewhere, it had been more or less highjacked by the right. Everywhere else, the left was technocratic. This was something that strongly influenced the ideology of progressive rock.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk