URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109144
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 13:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Forget Yes - The R&R HoF Still Hates Prog"
Posted By: bucka001
Subject: "Forget Yes - The R&R HoF Still Hates Prog"
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 08:36
Interesting article...

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-19/yes-nomination-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-hates-prog" rel="nofollow - http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-19/yes-nomination-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-hates-prog

-------------
jc

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 08:51
I am not sure I want my favourite prog groups/artists inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. It stopped making sense a looooong time ago, when they decided to focus on popular music over rock and suddenly went ahead and included hip hop and pop acts.
Reminds me of people who insist on being called vegetarians, because fish aren't animals y'know? The above comitee though has it backwards.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 09:45
RnRHoF is waste of space 

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:22
It should be call the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" if you ask me. What a band needs is recognition from their fans, not from a bunch of lunatics who have no idea what to write and compose music is.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 17:24
Like the Grammy's, it celebrates popularity more than quality.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 17:35
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It should be call the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" if you ask me. What a band needs is recognition from their fans, not from a bunch of lunatics who have no idea what to write and compose music is.

I entirely agree with you !

They already indicated Michael Jackson 
Ramones and Madonna 

and.... the next attraction  is the  fantastic, extra-ordinary .......  Justin Bieber !

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 20 2016 at 21:36
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Let's see...
Jethro Tull - over 60 million albums sold
The Moody Blues - over 70 million albums sold

No, if that were the case, these two bands would have been in decades ago. More than half the bands in the Hall can't match these sales. Conversely, it can't be a quality issue either, because there are bands whose body of work does not match the quality. It is, rather, a known dislike by Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone for specific types of bands.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 07:31
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Hey! Cut the Grammy's some slack! Where else can Tull best Metallica for Best Hard Rock/Metal album honors?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 08:21
The reason that rock music isn't taken as seriously as jazz and classical or even film is because critics focus on commercial successes more than creativity and talent.

Hell, even the Oscars hand out awards to movies that didn't sell super well sometimes.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 11:34
To paraphrase Robert Fripp, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is irrelevant.

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 12:10
The RRHF continues to make decisions that make me not care about the RRHF.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 17:34
The RnR HoF simply reflects Wenner and his buddies' tastes, and Rolling Stone magazine was never very amenable to progressive rock.

Re the article the first post in this thread linked to, the voting page on the HoF site notes that the fan vote, collectively, only counts as ONE ballot, amidst about 800 total ballots that will be filled out (mostly by critics, industry folks, etc. who Wenner and his crew have hand-picked to be eligible to fill out a ballot).

Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 01:03
All critics should be arrested because of bad taste.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 01:49
The Hall of Fame is not a national or international public body, it's an american-owned private enterprise that makes millions of dollars for its owners and backers and they will naturally honour those who will give them the highest return on that investment, so who seriously gives any flying fux about it anyway?

-------------
What?

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:12
I still hate the R&R HoF.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

who seriously gives any flying fux about it anyway?

A lot of people. Rock and roll represents a lot to people and the Hall earns a lot of ire for it's methods. They do more to cause and further bitterness and resentment (Purple).

No, RS and the HOF do not know or appreciate what it is to write and compose. This is why dead critic Bangs was more concerned  about Iggy vomiting than say Steve Howe's Mood For A Day. Frankly I think they are a bit nuts.

The trouble is that the two things rock represents are not synonymous. If it were about music ELP would be right there right now. The two things are music (not just yer prog rock of course but the actual technical bits - and this means all prog rock). The other bit is what most people argue about whe arging pop music and that is cultural identity (music and culture is where metal collides.)

Unfortunately it is the Hall of Pop Culture. If some pop rap rock act has a pop cultural impact (NWA, Madonna, Pistols) then that is of significance. It is not about music or depth of technical expression. There is some depth of other expression as NWA represent.

I always found it amusing to the point of ridicule that musicians can be deemed bad, inferior, irrelevant for being as good and in many cases as brilliant as they can be while an unfortunate incompetent such as Sid Vicious is lauded. If people wanted to listen to good music why listen to punk? Yeah, a few decent tunes turn up but not that many.

Further irony. This is bad enough among teenage pop fans. But septuagenarian critics arguing teenage "ideals" is really embarrassing. This is the sort of thing that prevents rock from a lot of serious i..e. classical scrutiny. Granted, most rock acts could not take serious critique but some prog rock bands can withstand and indeed earn serious plaudits.

Sadly, the vacuity perpetuated by Wenner and Co diminishes all the good music that is done and even undermines their own pop culture values causing more irritation among the fans.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I hate the whole idea of it. Hall of Fames are for sports, not art.

Has anyone been to the R&R Hall of Fame? It's a museum dedicated to rock. So if they called it the Rock and Roll Museum, I'd have no problem with it - a guitar Hendrix played, some stage props from Pink Floyd, Ringo's drums sticks, a drop of sweat from Elvis collected in a jar, a wisp of Jim Morrison's curls.

Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:57
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Has anyone been to the R&R Hall of Fame? It's a museum dedicated to rock. So if they called it the Rock and Roll Museum, I'd have no problem with it - a guitar Hendrix played, some stage props from Pink Floyd, Ringo's drums sticks, a drop of sweat from Elvis collected in a jar, a wisp of Jim Morrison's curls.

I've visited it.

Call it a museum? While well, very true, and a good idea and also more accurate, it would have the poor old boys running it swooning at the idea. Museum means extinction. Death. Preservation for historic purposes. They want their own relevance.

I'm surprised they have not nominated Rolling Stone as the greatest pop magazine of all time.

It is worth looking out for that Keith Moon interview.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 06:34
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

The reason that rock music isn't taken as seriously as jazz and classical or even film is because critics focus on commercial successes more than creativity and talent.

Hell, even the Oscars hand out awards to movies that didn't sell super well sometimes.

well...  it isn't that rock isn't taken as seriously...  there always have been blow back against those who try to take rock too seriously and you bet your ass prog bears the brunt of it.  The spirit and ethos is 4 guys in a garage learning a couple of chords and making a sh*t ton of noice. Energy.. passion...not creativity and talent.. that was rock symbolizes to some.. in which any swinging dick can learn a few chords...  write a great song and become a star.....that is rock

and many of those who believe that (and who is really to say they are wrong) are now bitter old men sitting on the R&R HOF board LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 07:15
At risk of sounding boring, I'll repeat what I have often said whenever the topic of the RRHoF comes up. I wonder how otherwise smart people have to get so upset about their decisions. They are a joke anyway, and I couldn't care less about what they love or what they hate. Look at what they did with Deep Purple - refusing to induct Steve Morse (who's been with them longer than Blackmore) and Don Airey, as well as their original bassist, Nick Simper. As far as I am concerned, they don't deserve a second thought.

Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 07:24
to take your boring... and kick it up a notch..

who cares....  one of my favorite rites of the internet for many years, now denied me thanks the stupidity of the R&R HOF, was reading all the indignation at Rush being passed over as only a bunch of undersexed adolescenes could muster.

now that they are.. do YOU feel validated... does it help you get through your days.. did it help in the slightest to get you any pussy, clear your cases of bad acne...or liven your sad pathetic existences...

hah... of course not. 

so.... again.. who cares... LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 09:19
The R&R HoF is something like music's equivalent for the Nobel Peace Prize.

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 09:35
The only reason I would care if YES made it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is I'm sure several of the members of YES would like it.    YES has given me so many great moments over the years so I hope they make it.  

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 11:56
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

The only reason I would care if YES made it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is I'm sure several of the members of YES would like it.    YES has given me so many great moments over the years so I hope they make it.  

But, as Raff indicated with Purple, it is highly doubtful that all members of Yes, past and present, would be inducted, including important, albeit for only one album, members such as Moraz. Would Rabin get a place, given the current difficulties with Howe and Anderson? Highly doubtful.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The only reason I would care if YES made it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is I'm sure several of the members of YES would like it.    YES has given me so many great moments over the years so I hope they make it.  

But, as Raff indicated with Purple, it is highly doubtful that all members of Yes, past and present, would be inducted, including important, albeit for only one album, members such as Moraz. Would Rabin get a place, given the current difficulties with Howe and Anderson? Highly doubtful.

Not that Tull will ever get in (and I am certain at this point it will never happen, given the asininity of the proceedings), but just think of the band member mayhem that would create (and not including folks like Toni Iommi, Phil Collins and Tony Williams who were there very briefly). You would have to wade through:

Ian Anderson
Martin Barre (if he even wants to step on stage with Ian again)...

Guitarists
Mick Abrahams
Maartin Allcock
Florian Opahle

Bassists
Glenn Cornick (deceased)
Jeffrey Hammond
John Glascock (deceased)
Dave Pegg (because Fairport will never get in either)
Jonathon Noyce
David Goodier

Drums
Clive Bunker
Barriemore Barlow
Mark Craney
Don Airey
Gerry Conway
Doane Perry

Keyboards
John Evan
Dee Palmer
Eddie Jobson (because Roxy Music will never get in either)
Peter John Vettese
Andrew Giddings
John O'Hara

Certainly, there are eras most Tull fans would prefer. It would be nice to see Barlow and Bunker playing drums on the same stage with Dave Pegg and Martin Barre, but from what I've heard John Evan and Jeffrey Hammond haven't played for decades. Perhaps a "Kiss-and-Make-Up" Final Tour.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 02:58
The RnR pile of sh*t discussion again? A waste of time and money, and I still don't feel good about Rush being there. Despite Alex' wonderful speech at the induction, which sums up the HoF perfectly.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:21
Hadn't seen that, love how Hanks looks utterly horrified.  Great.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 04:32
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

The RnR pile of sh*t discussion again? A waste of time and money, and I still don't feel good about Rush being there. Despite Alex' wonderful speech at the induction, which sums up the HoF perfectly.

Ah, now I get the whole picture. Donald Trump was imitating Alex all the time  Big smile 
Alex Lifeson for president !

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 06:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hadn't seen that, love how Hanks looks utterly horrified.  Great.

Tom Hanks? What the hell was he doing there... that says enough about the R&R HOF doesn't it LOL

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 07:04
Yeah I thought about that as well. Tom Hanks is about as rock n roll as Burt Reynolds is punk.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 07:38
Tom Hanks? Where on earth do you see him? I hope you're not referring to Neal trying to keep a straight face in the background? LOL

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 08:00
Tom Hanks...?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 08:09

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 08:36
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Not that Tull will ever get in (and I am certain at this point it will never happen, given the asininity of the proceedings), but just think of the band member mayhem that would create (and not including folks like Toni Iommi, Phil Collins and Tony Williams who were there very briefly). You would have to wade through:

Ian Anderson

Guitarists
Mick Abrahams
Maartin Allcock
Florian Opahle

Bassists
Glenn Cornick (deceased)
Jeffrey Hammond
John Glascock (deceased)
Jonathon Noyce
David Goodier

Drums
Clive Bunker
Barriemore Barlow
Mark Craney
Don Airey
Gerry Conway
Doane Perry

Keyboards
John Evan
Dee Palmer
Peter John Vettese
Andrew Giddings
John O'Hara

Certainly, there are eras most Tull fans would prefer. It would be nice to see Barlow and Bunker playing drums on the same stage with Dave Pegg and Martin Barre, but from what I've heard John Evan and Jeffrey Hammond haven't played for decades. Perhaps a "Kiss-and-Make-Up" Final Tour.

Don Airey plays drums?  Man of many talents Wink

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 09:35
^ Move him down the list to the appropriate spot. It may take some imagination, but I think you can do it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 09:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Right. Heh, I would have expected that kind of comment from Steve Miller. Just great. I have always liked his style, heīs another intellectual in rock business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfioJTI4LMg

His albums "Fly Like an Eagle" and "Book of Dreams" from mid 70īs are brilliant.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Tom Hanks? Where on earth do you see him? I hope you're not referring to Neal trying to keep a straight face in the background? LOL

Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 14:23
LOL  Oh my god it is Neil  LOL

at least I hope it is ...  Confused

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 15:35

I checked it out a couple of years ago (something to do while stuck in Cleveland besides getting drunk) and while I was passing through their merchandise store, their RRHoF radio station or whatever they called it pumping out from the speakers started playing ELP's "From the Beginning". Some dude nearby started mouthing along to the lyrics. Didn't notice any ELP relics in the place though, but I did see a Katy Perry dress. Thought it was weird to hear that song in there, as I was thinking Miss Perry would probably be inducted before ELP.

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 15:58
LOL well... he sure did look like Hanks...

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 15:59
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Right. Heh, I would have expected that kind of comment from Steve Miller. Just great. I have always liked his style, heīs another intellectual in rock business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfioJTI4LMg

His albums "Fly Like an Eagle" and "Book of Dreams" from mid 70īs are brilliant.

Steve Miller has had.. for a LONG time.. a real problem with the 'industry' LOL

-------------

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Ian Anderson

Guitarists
Mick Abrahams
Maartin Allcock
Florian Opahle

Bassists
Glenn Cornick (deceased)
Jeffrey Hammond
John Glascock (deceased)
Jonathon Noyce
David Goodier

Drums
Clive Bunker
Barriemore Barlow
Mark Craney
Don Airey
Gerry Conway
Doane Perry

Keyboards
John Evan
Dee Palmer
Peter John Vettese
Andrew Giddings
John O'Hara

How many bands has Eddie Jobson been in anyone care to list them. The list would be so long would fill the alphabet 

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:21
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

How many bands has Eddie Jobson been in anyone care to list them.

Curved Air
Roxy Music
Zappa's band
UK
Tull
Yes
UKZ

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:57
funny... not as many as one might expect actually...

compare that to...  to the big Prick himself...

Mogul Thrash
Family
King Crimson
Uriah Heep
U.K
Wishbone Ash
Asia
Qango
District 97

probably forgetting a few as well haha

the big Prick for the win!!! top that...

-------------

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 17:05
Yeah I thought their would be more (quick check there is only a couple not listed), maybe if we extended it to albums he has played on......

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 18:45
I can see why someone would care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but seriously who cares?

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: October 24 2016 at 00:26
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I can see why someone would care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but seriously who cares?

No one really.

What's the betting we'll never read another word nor will anyone ever comment.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 24 2016 at 08:57
Yeah, I don't care about the HoF either, but it has been useful in communicating with non-Prog music fans when they have no idea who Steve Hackett is. Then again, how much do non-Prog music fans actually matter?

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Devoncir
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 11:13
The most famous group among the candidates is Yes
There's no reason not to chose YES Hall of "FAME". "FAME"
Any other vote would be, "my personal taste", not "Fame".
Itīs like punk, that almost only existed in the music critics texts about the end of the seventies. 
What made success was disco, glam, prog, metal, queen, stones, carly simon, bowie. 
Beside that, there was "the Clash" , a little of "Ramones" and a lot to critics trying to impose their tastes.  
.today, critics don't have that power to impose their tastes, and ... music got worst, much worst (paradoxal) 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 20:36
How about Wakeman's view on Yes's nomination?

http://wror.com/2016/10/19/rick-wakeman-yes-rock-hall-nomination/

Posted By: Devoncir
Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 07:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Grammy has no credibility anymore, Oscar is losing credibility, but the names are strong "oscar" "hall of fame".
Allen Toussaint? Andrew Loog Oldham? Are these people or some brand of matinal cereal?
No I won't look at wikipedia, because itīs hall of FAME. is there a "famous" Loog ? wtf  

Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 13:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

well Rick is a very smart guy Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Rick Wakeman Rick Wakeman wrote:

the Rock Hall nominating committee has something of a bias against progressive rock, having inducted just two acts -- Pink Floyd and GenesisLOL

and yeah... he isn't the only smart one LOLLOL

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Rush? Heavy Prog? Prog Metal. Pffff...neither....
AOR/Arena Rock!!!..... move them to prog-related Thumbs UpLOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 14:58

Image result for neil peart pictures

Confused Which one's Neil? Confused

Image result for tom hanks pictures

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 14:59
Regarding Miller's comments I'm surprised we haven't heard more of the same from other artists inducted into the Hall. If they treated him that way the odds are good others have been treated poorly also over the years unless this was a fluke.
And The Black Keys who gave his inductee speech never even knew him or met him according to Miller.....wtf ?
What was the Hall thinking? Wouldn't you ask someone to do it that knew him and was a fellow musician from the old days? They said Miller was kind of unfriendly  to them but then no one really introduced them according to Miller before the actual show.
I have no idea who runs the event planning but it sounds like they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 15:04
I think the only answer is to burn the building to the ground and start over.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 16:10
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

How many bands has Eddie Jobson been in anyone care to list them.

Curved Air
Roxy Music
Zappa's band
UK
Tull
Yes
UKZ

You forgot to mention his own band Zinc.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 27 2016 at 08:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Image result for neil peart pictures

Confused Which one's Neil? Confused

Image result for tom hanks pictures
...or Bill Murray apparently. If you're myopic that is.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 06:45
Looks like they made it:  https://www.facebook.com/yestheband/posts/1481757785169538" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/yestheband/posts/1481757785169538
Bruford's commentary is the best part Tongue

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 07:08
Just heard it on the radio news about 5 minutes ago. Damn well time! Too bad Chris won't be there. Cry

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 07:42
I will probably watch the ceremony, if only to see how awkward it is when ARW get together on stage with Howe and White...but who will play the bass? Two guitarists, two keyboard players, no bass?

They could at least have included Sherwood.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 07:52
Just read about this in the local newspaper.  It is a step in the right direction for the hall.  They also voted in ELO, so another not to a proggish type band.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:42
Likewise i couldn't care less about political capitalist institutions that use music as a means to devour large quantities of money. When someone makes a true thoroughly done music history museum that includes every aspect of recorded music, popular and not, then i'd be interested :)  Looks like PA and other sites are the closest thing to that 

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:50
I'm glad to see Yes got in. I've been a fan for a long time. If it wasn't for Yes I probably would not be into this genre of music and would only know classic rock and not know the difference. 

Yes should have been inducted a long time ago. Pink Floyd has been in there for over 20 years. It makes no sense to me that they took so long to put Yes in. 

I still think the institution is a crock though and will never visit it. 

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 12:27
The voters will always vote in what they think is Rock artists, at least this year other than Tupak, they pretty much voted in only Rock Artists.
At the 60,000 foot level, it's all Rock Music, it's when you get to ground level that the sub-genres come into play and everyone gets their panties in a wad.

I have seen Steven Wilson twice in concert, both times he simply says "we are just a rock n roll band....." He never says.."we are just a heavy prog, ambient, alternative, art rock band......" LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:13
[The voters will always vote in what they think is Rock artists]

No, that's not it. Look at all the r&b, jazz, pop and rap artists in there. Are they all more rock than Yes? No, it all comes down to bias imo. The R&RHOF elite don't like prog. It's really not more complex than that imo. It's not about popularity either because at one point Yes were quite popular. 

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:20
Seriously, how about ELP in R&RHoF? Two founding members are now deceased and one was a real rock star and acted like it.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:43
I'd say as far as prog goes it's a popularity contest. That's why the most  popular prog bands get in. It seems to be in order of popularity too: Pink Floyd then Genesis then Rush then Yes. After Yes the next most popular prog band is probably Jethro Tull or the Moody Blues then ELP. I agree ELP should still get in though.

It is good news that Yes got in this time around. Maybe they will finally get on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine now too. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:44
Obviously the hall means nothing, but good to see them there if for nothing else than a warm fuzzy feeling in my insides.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:48
hah.. more happy for ELO to be honest... that is a group that should have been inducted many many years ago itself.  At least Yes had the prog fundies going to bat for it.. who was bitching about ELO's omission...  then again.. I wasn't either. Who really cares...  other than get warm fuzzy feelings in the nether regions of our inner sentimnetal effeminate sides

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:49

Seriously, how about ELP in R&RHoF? Two founding members are now deceased and one was a real rock star and acted like it.

Micky the Geek has ELP as a near lock for next year... you always knew Yes was going first.. ELP goes next year.

Book it...

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 14:58
I'm already there micky. Let's meet up and party like it's 2099! Cool

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 15:00
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 15:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, that's not it. Look at all the r&b, jazz, pop and rap artists in there. Are they all more rock than Yes? No, it all comes down to bias imo. The R&RHOF elite don't like prog. It's really not more complex than that imo. It's not about popularity either because at one point Yes were quite popular. 

I should have stressed THINK is Rock Artists......They truly believe all the R&B artists they have inducted are Rock at the core.
I am not sure they dislike Prog, I think they don't understand what it is honestly. Remember, prog is our (fans) terminology, that was my point in what SW says. If you watch some of those old concerts of Yes, Genesis, ELP...the fans back then called it "pop", never "prog" and rarely "rock".

I can only imagine how Metallica fans felt about their band being called Rock and not Metal or Thrash.......

The RnRHoF voters will never induct a band because they were in a prog category......I think we are all on the same page.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I should have stressed THINK is Rock Artists......They truly believe all the R&B artists they have inducted are Rock at the core.
I am not sure they dislike Prog, I think they don't understand what it is honestly. Remember, prog is our (fans) terminology, that was my point in what SW says. If you watch some of those old concerts of Yes, Genesis, ELP...the fans back then called it "pop", never "prog" and rarely "rock".

I can only imagine how Metallica fans felt about their band being called Rock and not Metal or Thrash.......

The RnRHoF voters will never induct a band because they were in a prog category......I think we are all on the same page.

Labels are ultimately a bit arbitrary anyway. What one person thinks is one thing someone else will call it something different. Steven Wilson was never much of a fan of the term prog rock to begin with so that really doesn't surprise me. As for Metallica I'm not sure what they think of the term rock vs metal. I'm sure they are ok with metal. It doesn't make a difference but these days they would not lose to Jethro Tull if we had a separate category for just metal and not hard rock/metal. Tongue I know Black Sabbath didn't embrace the term metal and neither did Lemmy who called what Motorhead did "rock n roll." So labels are good to some degree but can also get in the way of things too. Back in the seventies when Yes were hot they probably weren't promoted as prog and that is probably a good thing. You get thrown in that box and then only people who are already fans of the genre tend to discover you. I get the feeling the Flower Kings and maybe a whole bunch of other bands would be more well known if it wasn't for the prog label. However, I did recently see Spock's Beard mentioned on a metal site so who knows. SB are definitely not metal though so I'm not sure what that site was thinking. LOL

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 20:48
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I will probably watch the ceremony, if only to see how awkward it is when ARW get together on stage with Howe and White...but who will play the bass? Two guitarists, two keyboard players, no bass?

They could at least have included Sherwood.

Rick already stated that he wasn't going to be a part of any sort of reunion because of the Hall of Fame thing. We'll see if he sticks to it.

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr.asp

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 23:10
The HoF should be the Popular Music Hall Of... how is this fame measured anyway? Hits? How did Led Zeppelin get in? Concert attendance? Why so long for Yes?

What is progressive rock?

What is classic rock?

We'll never know.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: December 21 2016 at 22:55
The RRHF now has a touch of class with Yes in it. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: December 21 2016 at 23:42
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

And Genesis and Pink FLoyd. It's almost like a real life version of this site.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 07:02

The only reason I would care if YES made it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is I'm sure several of the members of YES would like it.    YES has given me so many great moments over the years so I hope they make it.  

The sad thing is that by the time some get there, some folks won't have the chance to see it, and cry right before us, and say thank you ... and in the end, the whole thing is a sad excuse (money only!) for a handful of people and has nothing to do with the "music" itself, because its rules fit one and not the other, and yet another invitee does not even come close.

Maybe, some 75 years later, it might seem like a better idea for a Hall of Fame ... but the name itself, ruins the clarity and ideology of the whole thing.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 07:04
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Way too late ... way too late!

Chris Squire deserved to see this! 

But that's OK ... Chris and Yes will be remembered far more into history than the HoF ever will!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 08:07
Well the RnRHoF does not need to go away, it needs to continue what it is doing, putting some of the music we enjoy into the main stream. Bringing bands like Yes, PF, Genesis, Rush to the pop masses of today so they can maybe see there is some different music out there.
There are loads of prog bands that will never make it, I mean we have seminal bands like The Can, KC, VdGG, Softs even Kate Bush that probably will never make it in. I am guessing these bands have been eligible for close to 20 years.

Heck do you actually think they will elect Iron Maiden and Motorhead one day, easily the past 10 years eligible, and BTW John Coltrane has yet to be considered. Of course they are a joke for leaving so many artists off the voting, but just like the Billboard Top 100 or any other list, they need to continue, sadly.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 14:57
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Maybe, some 75 years later, it might seem like a better idea for a Hall of Fame ... but the name itself, ruins the clarity and ideology of the whole thing.

What clarity? What ideology?

Posted By: CaP
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 06:35
The question is: WHO CARES?? I won't like an artist more becausehe/she is inducted in the rock n Roll Hall of Fame or less if he/she isn't.

-------------
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metā

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 06:44
^I care. It's the principle of the thing. It's the need to right something that is wrong. Artists deserve to be honored for their artistic merits as well as the enjoyment they give to millions. Some are, but many that are truly deserving of it are not.

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 07:41
Artists are honored by their fanbase and the respect of other artists, non by rolling stone mag... imho

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 07:52

^Rush seemed pretty honored by their induction. It what's the artist makes of it, not what you or I make of it, imho.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 08:51
I, as a fan, dont care. That's my point.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 08:53
Let me quote the great Eric Lifeson: "Blah, blah, bla blah, blah bla..."

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 09:28

Exactly (it's Alex by the way 😋)

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 09:29
I think Rush were very, very clear they were honored to be inducted because it was another way for them to pay tribute to their fan base. Geddy said it many times, he knows for the fans this was very important. I don't recall either Geddy, Alex or Neil saying this was not important to them, I never expected them to diss the induction or not show up or not perform..I knew they would accept it with grace and honor, and what Alex did was his snub to the whole process I think and also the boredom of acceptance speeches, he gave it a progressive spin LOL.

Deep down it must mean something to any artist that is inducted, I think they would be lying if they said "I really don't care to be considered...".

Buying their music is the ultimate honor for any artist. @ CaP you may not care that they get into the RRHoF, but its not about you, it's about the bands. 

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 10:52
Originally posted by CaP CaP wrote:

Exactly (it's Alex by the way 😋)

He knows

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Jeremykeys
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 10:50
Just like the Grammy's indeed. An article in the Toronto Sun newspaper noted that Jeff Beck, A guitarists guitarist recently released an album that apparently is freaking amazing. He didn't even get a nod but of course Justin Beiber did. The Writer asked the question, "On what planet does Justin Beiber write an album better than Jeff Beck?"

'nuff said. It ain't about quality, it's about the cash grab.

Never been to the R&RHoF but if the owners actually paid heed to the name of the place, Hip Hop wouldn't be in there.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 11:11
Originally posted by Jeremykeys Jeremykeys wrote:

Just like the Grammy's indeed. An article in the Toronto Sun newspaper noted that Jeff Beck, A guitarists guitarist recently released an album that apparently is freaking amazing. He didn't even get a nod but of course Justin Beiber did. The Writer asked the question, "On what planet does Justin Beiber write an album better than Jeff Beck?"

'nuff said. It ain't about quality, it's about the cash grab.

Never been to the R&RHoF but if the owners actually paid heed to the name of the place, Hip Hop wouldn't be in there.

Well said, and even people who are not into prog have noticed this. Why are Hip-Hop artists introduced into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame"? Either you change the name to "Popular Music Hall of Fame" (or something similar), or take all these artists out (like Justin Bieber), and make room for all the rock artists that they have left out for their own personal, ridiculous and insane reasons.

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 14:18
Politics......Dead as usual run by idiots who think they are cool....Rolling Stone has been a negative source of musical press from the early 70s til today. The very definition of ELITIST. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 15:56
I had no idea that they gave a nod to Justin Bieber......seriously..?
Whatever respect I did have for the RRHOF, and that wasn't much, is now completely gone.

Disapprove

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 21:18
For all the justified carping about the Hall it does mean much to many. The whole thing is riven with faults which everyone points out.

The reason why people care, whether they say they don't is that in name it represents their musical cultural identity.

And people get riled whether band members get omitted (stupid and insensitive by the Hall); bands get ignored (...again)... non-rock based artist get included (puzzling especially when many of these artists have disdained rock in the first place).

Now if there were a hall of fame for pop hacks, er, I mean rock journalism, who should be inducted... omitted?

Start with the Teen Beat office boy and ignore Rolling Stone? Tempting is it not?

Posted By: Asund
Date Posted: January 04 2017 at 01:32

Hall of Fames are for sports, not art.

We could do away with sports, and then we'd all be right with jesus. Course I awready done 'nat, so's ya all gots some road ta drive.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk