Print Page | Close Window

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111624
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Posted By: YESESIS
Subject: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 13:45
This is my very first topic started on here lol(trying to get my post count up a bit so I can start making polls and stuff like that). Tongue

Anyway, what are your thoughts about this group? Favorite album, how did you first get into them, etc. For me, in the early 80's I didn't even know 'prog' existed(and only really knew the music I heard by chance on the radio). Then I was at a friend's house and he had the self-titled Asia album(it was brand new). We listened to it and I loved it! So I went straight away and got the cassette tape for myself(my friend had the actual LP). Then when Alpha came out I immediately went and got that. Well anyway, being an aspiring drummer myself in those days, I thought Carl Palmer was really great(he is) and talked about him and found out that he had been in another really popular group before that called ELP(Emerson, Lake & Palmer). So then I rushed right out to get something by them, and ended up getting Brain Salad Surgery. Well I didn't like it! So it sat for a while until I eventually bought their self-titled debut(and liked that one). So then eventually I started liking BSS too and very soon even more than the debut. Well now I have all their albums except Love Beach and the ones after that. I still think BSS is the best one. But I love Trilogy a lot too. And Tarkus is awesome except a bit uneven imo toward the end. But those first four albums are all still really good. And ELP is definitely in my top 3 of all time prog bands(with Yes and Genesis).

P.S. Remember to copy your reply before sending! Just in case, you know what, gets you! 

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 14:14
I've always liked ELP, but I though BSS was not as impressive as the albums before it. I like Tarkus and Trilogy the best, with Pictures and the self titled following very close. A great band, quite innovative back then, who unfortunately suffered artistically and financially due to mismanagement and bad PR.

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 14:25
Oh that sucks. Oh well, at least we always have those first four great albums(and Pictures).. And yeah Tarkus and Trilogy, can't argue with that at all, both fantastic albums. 

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 14:33
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I prefer Triumvirat.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 14:45
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I prefer Triumvirat.

I'm sure that's something I should know, but.. no clue. 

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 14:56
Ok, I did some research and I think I found it? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumvirate_(album)

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.. Doubt I'll like it as much as ELP but who knows. 

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:06
Triumvirat is a German 70s prog band heavily influenced by ELP. And they're great, maman. You should check 'Illusions on a Double Dimple', you'll surely appreciate.

Presdougvirat is the guardian of the Trium Galaxy.

As for ELP...the early to mid 70s albums are essential afaic.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:13
That sound like some good @#%#$. Definitely have to check into that! 

And yeah, early ELP totally essential as far as prog goes. I agree. 

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:22
In the 90's after getting into Pink Floyd, I thought about other bands. But the fact ELP were always having the piss taken out of them but me off. Eventually I learned not to worry about what other people thought and dived into the excellent "The Atlantic Years" compilation.
Didn't see what all the hate was about as it was pretty great.
I think "Tarkus" is still my favourite piece.

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:27
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

In the 90's after getting into Pink Floyd, I thought about other bands. But the fact ELP were always having the piss taken out of them but me off. Eventually I learned not to worry about what other people thought and dived into the excellent "The Atlantic Years" compilation.
Didn't see what all the hate was about as it was pretty great.
I think "Tarkus" is still my favourite piece.

Yeah Tarkus is an interesting album. I don't like it quite as much as Trilogy(at the moment), but it is really good for sure.   

Edit: Oh I think you mean the first half.. Yeah, that is awesome. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:33
Regarding the Triumvirat comment, we've kind of got our little memes here that act as internal jokes. For instance, all post '89 music sucks, which refers to an ex-poster. We're a bit of an eccentric group with different obsessions. I guess I was thought of around here as the Art Zoyd fanatic.

As for ELP, I like the debut the most. The first album I got was Trilogy, and it was one of the first album I got when I got back into Prog, or into Prog in a big way back near the turn of the millennium.   I was looking for particular music that I remembered hearing when I was younger but didn't know what it was (that was Hairless Heart by Genesis). I found a sample on amazon, I think. In the meantime I also found music by ELP off Trilogy that I remembered. I must have heard the album Trilogy when I was a kid, because when I got the album I recognized the whole thing.

Anyway, partially because of nostalgia, I really loved ELP back then. I stopped listening to ELP quite some years ago as my music interest shifted, but I do enjoy listening to them now and again. FOr me ELP often is just "too much" to handle. If you can't stand the heat, don't jump in the Lake (not that Greg was the problem).

ELP is important from a Prog 101 perspective for sure. The band has become less fashionable in Prog circles as I think some think it took excess to too much of an extreme (too bombastic), but I think most would find music by ELP that would appeal. Stuff like "Oh Lucky Man: of course remains popular amongst classic rock fans.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 15:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Regarding the Triumvirat comment, we've kind of got our little memes here that act as internal jokes. For instance, all post '89 music sucks, which refers to an ex-poster. We're a bit of an eccentric group with different obsessions. I guess I was thought of around here as the Art Zoyd fanatic.

As for ELP, I like the debut the most. The first album I got was Trilogy, and it was one of the first album I got when I got back into Prog, or into Prog in a big way back near the turn of the millennium.   I was looking for particular music that I remembered hearing when I was younger but didn't know what it was (that was Hairless Heart by Genesis). I found a sample on amazon, I think. In the meantime I also found music by ELP off Trilogy that I remembered. I must have heard the album Trilogy when I was a kid, because when I got the album I recognized the whole thing.

Anyway, partially because of nostalgia, I really loved ELP back then. I stopped listening to ELP quite some years ago as my music interest shifted, but I do enjoy listening to them now and again. FOr me ELP often is just "too much" to handle. If you can't stand the heat, don't jump in the Lake (not that Greg was the problem).

ELP is important from a Prog 101 perspective for sure. The band has become less fashionable in Prog circles as I think some think it took excess to too much of an extreme (too bombastic), but I think most would find music by ELP that would appeal. Stuff like "Oh Lucky Man: of course remains popular amongst classic rock fans.

Yeah I still hear that one on classic rock radio, as well as some karn evil. I kind of grow in and out of ELP too, but they are important enough to me that I thought they should be my first topic on here. Thanks for sharing. 

Edit: Yeah the first album is kind of special to me too, but I like the three after it better(just more my style). I kind of alternate between Trilogy and BSS as my favorite.  

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:00
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Yeah I still hear that one on classic rock radio, as well as some karn evil. I kind of grow in and out of ELP too, but they are important enough to me that I thought they should be my first topic on here. Thanks for sharing. 

Edit: Yeah the first album is kind of special to me too, but I like the three after it better(just more my style). 

I also hear Karn Evil and From the Beginning. Thanks. Trilogy was the most important to me album of theirs, and Pictures, but these days it's the debut.   And I also mentioned ELP in my first topic here:

"Hello, I'm a happily married man with one child looking to meet open-minded women with large collections of classic prog albums and mp3s to be my Sheherezade. I enjoy moonlit walks on the beach while listening to Gentle Giant on my mp3 player and candlelight dinners while listening to classic Genesis, Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, and ELP. If you're a renaissance woman with a good stereo system, say Yes to me. I'd love to check out your equipment."

-------------

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:03
ELP made probably the best symphonic prog music ever, but by the mid '70s they have already burned, contract deals and/or management made them go for too long. Their '90s album Black Moon kind of redeemed the group. Ultimately Emerson health problems were too much to overcome and ended costing him his life. Going back to the first albums, all the way to Works in my opinion, the lyrical and musical content was beyond anybody else and talk about musicianship! Emerson was the most gifted keyboard player of his generation, Palmer the best or at least top 5 drummer and Lake the best vocalist of the crop. So even though most people consider Yes and Genesis the best groups of the founding generation in my consideration ELP is the unmistakable number one.

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:07
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

ELP made probably the best symphonic prog music ever, but by the mid '70s they have already burned, contract deals and/or management made them go for too long. Their '90s album Black Moon kind of redeemed the group. Ultimately Emerson health problems were too much to overcome and ended costing him his life. Going back to the first albums, all the way to Works in my opinion, the lyrical and musical content was beyond anybody else and talk about musicianship! Emerson was the most gifted keyboard player of his generation, Palmer the best or at least top 5 drummer and Lake the best vocalist of the crop. So even though most people consider Yes and Genesis the best groups of the founding generation in my consideration ELP is the unmistakable number one.

Like 'em or leave 'em, I would say that ELP is THE quintessential Prog band. That said, at least in hardcore Prog circles, I think King Crimson tends to get the laurels as the King of Prog.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:29

I like Works but not as much as those first four. I kind of think of Yes as the unmistakable number one, but ELP is certainly right there and oh yeah Emerson is such a wizard on those keyboards! Gotta love it.

Oh is Black Moon any good? I've never heard that one..

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:34

Like 'em or leave 'em, I would say that ELP is THE quintessential Prog band. That said, at least in hardcore Prog circles, I think King Crimson tends to get the laurels as the King of Prog.

Oh no.. that means I guess I have to get into King Crimson now to call myself a real prog fan. I'm very familiar with their first album, "In The Court.." with my man Greg. But never cared about them after that. 

Oh boy.. King Crimson here I come lol

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:48

Oh no.. that means I guess I have to get into King Crimson now to call myself a real prog fan. I'm very familiar with their first album, "In The Court.." with my man Greg. But never cared about them after that. 

Oh boy.. King Crimson here I come lol

I'm procrastiposting [sic] , whereas I should be working.   

I really like the follow-up, In the Wake of Poseidon, which also features Greg Lake (don't know if you have heard it, but it is a similar album to the debut). Personally, Lizard is my favourite, and if by your username I'm right to guess that you like Yes, and if you haven't heard Lizard, this is worth listening to for Jon Anderson's vocals:

Great thing about Prog is there's always more to explore, but that can be a double-edged sword, and the wallet sure can suffer.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 17:00

I'm procrastiposting [sic] , whereas I should be working.   

I really like the follow-up, In the Wake of Poseidon, which also features Greg Lake (don't know if you have heard it, but it is a similar album to the debut). Personally, Lizard is my favourite, and if by your username I'm right to guess that you like Yes, and if you haven't heard Lizard, this is worth listening to for Jon Anderson's vocals:

Great thing about Prog is there's always more to explore, but that can be a double-edged sword, and the wallet sure can suffer.

I need to run to the store to get something for my freakin dinner here lol. But thanks so much for posting this! I'll check it out when I get back. And you're right, my username is supposed to be a "mashup" of Yes and Genesis. Yes is my favorite prog band. I love all their albums pretty much, but imo everything from "The Yes Album" through "Going for the One" just can't be beat. I love Genesis a lot too(I could actually talk about them all night lol). But gotta run. Be back later. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 21:02
Yes ELP is great, and have done a lot of wonderful songs... yet, somehow, their albums never worked for me as a whole. They would have great stuff, but also things I don't really like so much. It's mostly those sort of "joke" songs that don't work for me, or when they go into their "carnival music" mode (or however other people may describe them). Also, usually I love live versions from the bands, but somehow ELP didn't really do it for me... I guess I just don't like the way Emmerson jams. However, my favourite from ELP may not be the most logical choice for other people, "Pictures at an Exhibition". Also, Black Moon was mentioned, and yes, I think that one is a good album, though it sounds completley different from their 70's stuff... it sounds more 90's, I guess, and it's mostly more poppy than proggy, but in general I found it all pleasing to hear, even if there isn't much that stands out. As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered, but yeah, ELP is just about as worthy of the title too.

As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them (you may not like them, that you will have to discover by yourself, but you must know them). And yeah, if you like their debut and Greg's singing on it, you must get Poseidon too (even though I consider Poseidon to be mostly an inferior copy of the debut, but it's still got some great Greg Lake singing). And if you are a Yes fan, you must listen to Lizard, as you were already recommended, but that piece that was shared for you to listen is the only part were Anderson sings on that album (the main singer for the album is, as far as I'm concerned, not very good). From them you must also get "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" and "Red". Plus some live albums (unlike ELP, I do love King Crimson live, and there are many songs that are really better on their live versions). I personally would recommend "Collectable King Crimson Vol 1".

And since you were already recommended another prog band given their similarity to ELP (Triumviran, which I'm afraid I have not heard), I may go on and recommend another one. They are perhaps not really that similar (at least not on line-up), but somehow often enough I find some similarities on the music they play, being the italians "Banco del Muttuo Soccorso"... they have some of those traits I don't really enjoy from ELP... but somehow make them sound much better to my ears and love them for that (oh yeah, and if you check them out, be prepared to listen to one of the very best and most unique singers in prog, second to no other, not even Greg Lake or Jon Anderson, or whichever other singer you may worship).

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 22:36
"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 02:46
Man I love it when someone new enters our beloved cult
First 5 albums = top-tier Prog.
My pick will always be their Piccies album. Followed by Tarkus (both sides.....)
So sad how these guys (bar Mr Health-freak Palmer) have left our world.   I'm sure that in 200 years, folks will be baffled as to what's going on here.....

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:12
That tripple live album was terrific. Still have original vinyl. Great version of Aqua Tarkus. I remember when we got Love Beach it was a real downer. My friend just said, " well people, it's over" and lit up another joint. Not the band's fault. Best track for me was Fanfare For The Common Man. Might throw Trilogy on the turntable.  It's been a while.

Posted By: scruffydragon
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:33
Crimson may take many  years to acquire the taste for some of their albums, Larks tongues especially, but when it clicks the world of Prog will suddenly shift and many doors to many new and exciting species of music will suddenly open to you.

ElP is a band I respect highly, but have always struggled with a lot of their albums. Somehow I always felt they were rather inconsistent. I would love some tracks but remained indifferent to others. Tarkus side 1 is fantastic,and Trilogy is an album to cherish. But saying that most albums have something of interest. For me it's the work of Keith Emerson that makes their sound on the pieces of music I like so attractive. Perhaps you should also take a look at The Nice,especially their version of America. Wow, Wackothat Hammond can scream.Thumbs Up

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 14:01
I remember hearing Lucky Man on the radio a lot when I was a kid...I was fascinated with the sad words and that insane whooping thing at the end LOL...it was a magical song.  Fast forward 4 years and BSS was the very 1st prog album I ever bought, so ELP was my gateway and will always hold a special place.  Then I got Welcome Back... so got used to the sped up version of Tarkus so the studio version was pretty disappointing.  Of the 70's albums, I still give them all a spin in their entirety except Works I & II  & Love Beach (though I'll give Pirates, Fanfare, Hallowed be thy Name and Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman a listen once in awhile).  

Recently I got hold of the "Live at Mar Y Sol Festival 1972" album and it's incredible!  I think for sound quality and performance it blows Welcome Back... out of the water (though Welcome Back is still very cool).

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 14:36
The first 4 are all excellent imho....the debut being my personal favorite for sentimental and artistic reasons. 
After that they took a nosedive for me but 'ces't la vie'....no pun intended.
I can listen to the debut over and over again......a great early prog rock work imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Man I love it when someone new enters our beloved cult

When I first read this I immediately tried to delete my account, but it wouldn't let me! Cry

First 5 albums = top-tier Prog.

No question

My pick will always be their Piccies album. Followed by Tarkus (both sides.....)

You love all of Tarkus huh.. I usually stop listening after side one. I should probably stop doing that lol. 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:19
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

That tripple live album was terrific. Still have original vinyl. Great version of Aqua Tarkus. I remember when we got Love Beach it was a real downer. My friend just said, " well people, it's over" and lit up another joint. Not the band's fault. Best track for me was Fanfare For The Common Man. Might throw Trilogy on the turntable.  It's been a while.

Even after seeing that photo on the cover you were probably like, "Well no don't panic it's still ELP.." But then after the first two tracks you probably were like, "Oh..crap." I like Canario a fair amount from that album. 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:31
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Crimson may take many  years to acquire the taste for some of their albums, Larks tongues especially, but when it clicks the world of Prog will suddenly shift and many doors to many new and exciting species of music will suddenly open to you.

Hmm, ok well guess it'll be worth it then..

ElP is a band I respect highly, but have always struggled with a lot of their albums. Somehow I always felt they were rather inconsistent. I would love some tracks but remained indifferent to others. Tarkus side 1 is fantastic,and Trilogy is an album to cherish.. For me it's the work of Keith Emerson that makes their sound on the pieces of music I like so attractive. Perhaps you should also take a look at The Nice,especially their version of America. Wow, Wackothat Hammond can scream.Thumbs Up

The bolded part I completely agree with. Thanks for the suggestion about The Nice. I've seen them mentioned a few times now, so I may really have to check them out.. After I finish acquiring that taste for KC lol. 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I remember hearing Lucky Man on the radio a lot when I was a kid...I was fascinated with the sad words and that insane whooping thing at the end LOL...it was a magical song.  Fast forward 4 years and BSS was the very 1st prog album I ever bought, so ELP was my gateway and will always hold a special place.  Then I got Welcome Back... so got used to the sped up version of Tarkus so the studio version was pretty disappointing.  Of the 70's albums, I still give them all a spin in their entirety except Works I & II  & Love Beach (though I'll give Pirates, Fanfare, Hallowed be thy Name and Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman a listen once in awhile).  

Recently I got hold of the "Live at Mar Y Sol Festival 1972" album and it's incredible!  I think for sound quality and performance it blows Welcome Back... out of the water (though Welcome Back is still very cool).

Yeah I haven't listened to Works in a long time either. You sound like a true fan(not that everyone posting in this thread isn't). I'll definitely have to check out this Mar Y Sol Festival deal(I didn't even know that existed). 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The first 4 are all excellent imho....the debut being my personal favorite for sentimental and artistic reasons. 
After that they took a nosedive for me but 'ces't la vie'....no pun intended.
I can listen to the debut over and over again......a great early prog rock work imho.

Unfortunately yeah, they pretty much did. Dead

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I've always liked ELP, but I though BSS was not as impressive as the albums before it. I like Tarkus and Trilogy the best, with Pictures and the self titled following very close. A great band, quite innovative back then, who unfortunately suffered artistically and financially due to mismanagement and bad PR.

Interesting. I feel "Karn Evil 9" is the absolute pinnacle of their "progression." But everything they recorded in their initial four-year-long heyday is absolutely essential in my book. Still...they turn me on! Big smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:44

Yeah I haven't listened to Works in a long time either. You sound like a true fan(not that everyone posting in this thread isn't). I'll definitely have to check out this Mar Y Sol Festival deal(I didn't even know that existed). 

A true fan?  You might say that...I did see them at the Oakland Arena on the Works '77 tour Wink  

A couple things about that show, the opening band was Journey.  It was about a month before they hired Steve Perry so hadn't blatantly gone commercial yet and still had the proggy tendencies of their early albums.  ELP had already fired the orchestra because they were losing too much money so you got Pirates with Keith filling all the orchestral parts like a madman.  Have always remembered one of Keith's great comments to the audience.  After a song ended a roadie came out and was working on Keith's setup...he walks up to the mic and says:

"I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that" LOL

As far as the Mar Y Sol '72 album goes, you get a fantastic ripping 23 minute Tarkus, abbreviated 15 minute Pictures at an Exhibition, and their big show stopper from the early 70's, an 18+ minute Rondo with a killer CP drum solo and Keith with some of his finest live Hammond work ever, plus Hoedown, Take a Pebble, Lucky Man, and Keith's 10 minute Piano Improvisation showcase.   Plus the sound quality is significantly better than "Welcome Back..."

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:45

There's some good material on the Works albums.

I also like the Emerson, Lake & Powell record a lot.

Black Moon was a very enjoyable comeback.

Now, that 3 album (Emerson, Palmer, Berry), and In the Hot Seat...yeah those are forgettable.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

A true fan?  You might say that...I did see them at the Oakland Arena on the Works '77 tour Wink  

A couple things about that show, the opening band was Journey.  It was about a month before they hired Steve Perry so hadn't blatantly gone commercial yet and still had the proggy tendencies of their early albums.  ELP had already fired the orchestra because they were losing too much money so you got Pirates with Keith filling all the orchestral parts like a madman.  Have always remembered one of Keith's great comments to the audience.  After a song ended a roadie came out and was working on Keith's setup...he walks up to the mic and says:

"I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that" LOL

As far as the Mar Y Sol '72 album goes, you get a fantastic ripping 23 minute Tarkus, abbreviated 15 minute Pictures at an Exhibition, and their big show stopper from the early 70's, an 18+ minute Rondo with a killer CP drum solo and Keith with some of his finest live Hammond work ever, plus Hoedown, Take a Pebble, Lucky Man, and Keith's 10 minute Piano Improvisation showcase.   Plus the sound quality is significantly better than "Welcome Back..."

Oh man! You saw ELP live with a (before Steve Perry)Journey.. Mercy you're lucky. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and be catch that show! 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

There's some good material on the Works albums.

I also like the Emerson, Lake & Powell record a lot.

Black Moon was a very enjoyable comeback.

Now, that 3 album (Emerson, Palmer, Berry), and In the Hot Seat...yeah those are forgettable.

I like a lot of Works, just not nearly as much as the first 5 albums(including Pictures). And then I never really followed their career after that. I've listened to Love Beach a couple times but that's it(couldn't stomach it more than that). 

People keep mentioning Black Moon I'll have to check that out after I finish this KC deal. Listening to Larks' right now and just got done listening to Red again. So far seem kind of heavy and dark..

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:39

"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:47
EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER are among the most brilliant of Prog bands.
I can't understand those who think otherwise.....??

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:07

Haha. I can't either. I think whoever this person is... needs to be labeled on here as "not a true prog fan."

I'm kidding of course. I love ELP but if someone else doesn't it's cool.

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Man after my own heart! 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.

Cool I like that album a lot too. That's the one album by them that I do know, but I'm working on the others slowly but surely. So far I don't like them but that could change.. I didn't like Gentle Giant at first either(seemed too bizarre), but now I love them. 

Sounds like you know a lot about KC so I appreciate your knowledge and input. 

Date Posted: July 31 2017 at 22:03

Oh man! You saw ELP live with a (before Steve Perry)Journey.. Mercy you're lucky. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and be catch that show! 

Definitely lucky...though I bet there's probably a small group of people around here who saw the BSS tour in '74 Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 00:17

Haha. I can't either. I think whoever this person is... needs to be labeled on here as "not a true prog fan."

I say this coz among the very first vinyls I bought were BSS. Back in 1986 - I was 14. Those who I played it to - mainly the Ginastera piece, labelled me as a 'crazy tripper'. I still suffer for it, but would never pass up my ELP !! I also have a ton of respect for Love Beach (mainly Canario and side 2) so there goes.

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 04:58
ELP are my favourite group, mainly for the first four albums with BSS as the zenith. To me they were heavy and progressive, with tracks like Knife Edge, Time and a Place, Living Sin and their versions of Jerusalem and Toccata. BSS remains marvellously experimental and futuristic to this day, if not even more so. Following BSS, Works was a disappointment, although they do contain Pirates and I Believe in Father Christmas, both of which stand alongside anything else by the band. 

I like Love Beach a lot, although the synths have always been irritating by comparison with those on the earlier albums. Even the otherwise bland In the Hot Seat, is listenable to me, just to hear Greg Lake's voice. To use a terrible cliche, he really could sing the telephone directory and make it sound good.

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score. Dark Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard. 

I came to ELP from Lake/McDonald-era Crimson and Atomic Rooster (less so The Nice who are okay), and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out. Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks. 

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 05:47
Keith holds his own with Oscar Peterson one of the greatest jazz interpreters. Carl Palmer is in Keith's corner.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 08:32
^ Agreed but according to his autobiography, Keith was so nervous about this performance with his avowed hero 'Peterson' he seriously considered abandoning the whole show while sitting in his dressing room prior to going on screen....

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score.
I think it's a very underrated record. "The Score," "The Miracle," "Touch and Go," "Love Blind" and even "Step Aside" all rock my boat.

Black Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard.

ELP's concert at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles remains one of the best shows I've ever seen. Incredible.

Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out.

It's a must if you're into the keyboard trio prog rock sound!

Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks.

I like those solo Lake records a lot.

Even better: Keith's scores for Dario Argento's Inferno, and Michele Soavi's The Church. The 3CD collection At The Movies contains those, plus Best Revenge, Murderock, Harmagedon, and Godzilla: Final Wars. (Keith's music for Marvel's 1994 Iron Man animated series is not a part of the set.)

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:33

ELP are my favourite group, mainly for the first four albums with BSS as the zenith. To me they were heavy and progressive, with tracks like Knife Edge, Time and a Place, Living Sin and their versions of Jerusalem and Toccata. BSS remains marvellously experimental and futuristic to this day, if not even more so. Following BSS, Works was a disappointment, although they do contain Pirates and I Believe in Father Christmas, both of which stand alongside anything else by the band. 

I like Love Beach a lot, although the synths have always been irritating by comparison with those on the earlier albums. Even the otherwise bland In the Hot Seat, is listenable to me, just to hear Greg Lake's voice. To use a terrible cliche, he really could sing the telephone directory and make it sound good.

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score. Dark Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard. 

I came to ELP from Lake/McDonald-era Crimson and Atomic Rooster (less so The Nice who are okay), and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out. Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks. 

Wow, this is a true fan. I gotta get into some of this stuff beyond just the first 5 albums lol. Great suggestions, thanks. 

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:37

I say this coz among the very first vinyls I bought were BSS. Back in 1986 - I was 14. Those who I played it to - mainly the Ginastera piece, labelled me as a 'crazy tripper'. I still suffer for it, but would never pass up my ELP !! I also have a ton of respect for Love Beach (mainly Canario and side 2) so there goes.

I was 15 in '86. Born may of '71. Haha, those first 2 or 3 songs on Love Beach you're not crazy about though huh lol. 

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:41
Boy you all know your stuff here, right on. I can see I've come to the right place. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 21:23

Man after my own heart! 

Cool I like that album a lot too. That's the one album by them that I do know, but I'm working on the others slowly but surely. So far I don't like them but that could change.. I didn't like Gentle Giant at first either(seemed too bizarre), but now I love them. 

Yeah, it's happened to me too... finding the music too weird at first and not understanding it. Many times with prog. But I guess the most notorious was with Yes, Fragile and CttE... I had already gotten to know and love some prog (Focus, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd), but this was the first band I got into knowing they were Prog, and what prog was. And indeed the albums sounded too weird, and I just didn't find the melodies easily... but there was something that made me come back again and again, listen to them over and over. I would find the bass heavy middle section of "Roundabout" interesting and cool, and listen to that song because of that. Or the middle piano section of "South Side of the Sky" so beautiful. Or the organ "I get Up, I get Down" section of "Close to the Edge"... and actually the whole "And you and I"... and then I would just love the albums, and go on getting the next ones. More recently it happened with Van Der Graaf Generator (and many others). With Pink Floyd it was mostly the other way around, finding their music too dull and slow, or whatever... but when the melodies stuck in my mind and can relate to them, they are were the best (then I got into earlier Pink Floyd, and then they would be weird too). And yeah, I might know enough from King Crimson... but I don't even have all their studio albums... but I have filled the gap with live albums including songs from those albums I don't have.

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 22:16

Man after my own heart! 

Yeah, it's happened to me too... finding the music too weird at first and not understanding it. Many times with prog. But I guess the most notorious was with Yes, Fragile and CttE... I had already gotten to know and love some prog (Focus, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd), but this was the first band I got into knowing they were Prog, and what prog was. And indeed the albums sounded too weird, and I just didn't find the melodies easily... but there was something that made me come back again and again, listen to them over and over. I would find the bass heavy middle section of "Roundabout" interesting and cool, and listen to that song because of that. Or the middle piano section of "South Side of the Sky" so beautiful. Or the organ "I get Up, I get Down" section of "Close to the Edge"... and actually the whole "And you and I"... and then I would just love the albums, and go on getting the next ones. More recently it happened with Van Der Graaf Generator (and many others). With Pink Floyd it was mostly the other way around, finding their music too dull and slow, or whatever... but when the melodies stuck in my mind and can relate to them, they are were the best (then I got into earlier Pink Floyd, and then they would be weird too). And yeah, I might know enough from King Crimson... but I don't even have all their studio albums... but I have filled the gap with live albums including songs from those albums I don't have.

Yeah CTTE I didn't like the first time I heard it either. I had 90125 and people said, oh you gotta get Close to the Edge and Fragile.. basically along the lines of 'you're not a true fan if you don't have that early proggy stuff.' The same thing happened with Genesis btw(I had the self-titled album and people weren't satisfied until I got the earlier Gabriel stuff). So I was kind of forced into prog by the 'real' fans of the 80's stuff I was already listening to at the time. But anyway, you mentioned Van der Graaf Generator.. I'm sort of trying to get into them as well now(seem to be big on this forum). I listened to The least we can do.. and it was very just ok imo. But then I really liked the second song on Pawn Hearts. The organ along with whatever that distortion is was pretty kick ass. So not sure what to think of them so far. But yeah.. Crimson idk, I've listened to Red and 'Larks' a couple times each now and it's good. Both are very heavy.. and then become much more mellow.. and some interesting instruments and stuff, but it's not classic Yes lol. It's good but didn't blow me away basically. So I gave them a chance.. just, idk.. good but definitely not my favorite. 

Date Posted: August 01 2017 at 22:58

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score.
I think it's a very underrated record. "The Score," "The Miracle," "Touch and Go," "Love Blind" and even "Step Aside" all rock my boat.

Agreed...very overlooked.  Back in my vinyl days it was one of those "side 1 only albums" for me...but what a great side 1!!!  And I always thought the "Touch and Go" video was really cool too Wink

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 12:35

I prefer Triumvirat.

Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out.  The first three albums are the best.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out. The first three albums are the best.
The fourth album, Old Loves Die Hard, is a winner! (The first record is simply too derivative of ELP.)

-------------

Posted By: zachfive
Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:59
Yeah Old Loves Die Hard has some great vocals by Barry Palmer

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:29
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Yeah Old Loves Die Hard has some great vocals by Barry Palmer

Barry P..Palmer?? Now I gotta hear this album..

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I prefer Triumvirat.

Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out.  The first three albums are the best.

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestion. 

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:32

The fourth album, Old Loves Die Hard, is a winner! (The first record is simply too derivative of ELP.)

And that's a bad thing? 

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 18:29
It's not a bad thing, per se. I simply prefer to listen to the three after it.

More stellar ELP-inspired albums you need to check out:

Ars Nova – Fear and Anxiety
Ars Nova – Transi
Ars Nova – The Goddess of Darkness
Ars Nova – Book of the Dead
Cherry Five – self-titled
Deja-Vu – Baroque in the Future
Gerard – Pandora's Box
Gerard – Live at Marseilles
Gerard/Ars Nova – Keyboards Triangle
Gerard – Keyboards Triangle 2
Jaime Rosas – Virgo
Jaime Rosas Trio – Extremos
Motoi Sakuraba – Gikyoku Onsou
Social Tension – MacBethia
Trace – self-titled
Trace – Birds
U.K. – Danger Money

...and if you haven't heard Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII, or Criminal Record...you need to!

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 18:35
Rick %$#^ Wakeman.. now you're speaking my language! Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 20:50

Rick %$#^ Wakeman.. now you're speaking my language! Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

If you want some input on Rick Wakeman, I might be able to help you there too. He's one of my very favourite artists (along with Yes, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, and Dream Theater).

Date Posted: August 02 2017 at 21:14

If you want some input on Rick Wakeman, I might be able to help you there too. He's one of my very favourite artists (along with Yes, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, and Dream Theater).

I appreciate it buddy. I used to be into Floyd but are they truly considered prog? Dream Theater I keep hearing mentioned but don't know anything by them, and this Mike person same thing. I already know a lot about Yes(them and Genesis are literally my favorite prog bands). LOVE ELP and Gentle Giant too though! 

My man Wakeman, does this Six Wives of Henry VIII and Criminal Record sound like classic Yes? If so then I might really have to check them out. I love everyone from the Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, Bruford lineup of Yes. 

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 02:14
For King Crimon (KC) the first albums until red would be not too hard I guess, but I suggest listening to their recent shows. It seems a little lighter to take and then see which songs you like and which albums they originally come from. Mainly KC was for me just getting used to a lot of dissonance and distortion...
As for ELP, adore their stuff! A lot of their songs have that typical classical feel. My favourites are The Endless Enigma, KE9 part (!)2(!), Tarkus obv., and yeah The Barbarian just rocks. Greg Lake is also my favourite singer (oh the first vocal part of Trilogy!). Though my very favourite band is Gentle Giant (with ELP and KC close behind), I guess that's my "obsession"?
Oh and yeah Dream Theater is probably the most popular Prog-metal bands, very technical, complicated rhythms (not really compared to tech-metal bands though) and has a lot of energy, but for me it gets boring after a while. And copying is somewhat against the nature of progressive rock, why many don't appreciate for example Triumvirat and In The Wake Of Poseidon (and shhh Neo-prog as a complete genre but shhhhh you can't say that ;)

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 10:36

My man Wakeman, does this Six Wives of Henry VIII and Criminal Record sound like classic Yes? If so then I might really have to check them out. I love everyone from the Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman, Bruford lineup of Yes. 

Those albums are entirely instrumental, which is why I love them so much.

Rick's famous "symphonic" albums are Journey to the Centre of the Earth, and The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I'm not sure if you'll like those.

However, I strongly recommend the album Rick put out a few years back called Out There. That one featured Damian Wilson on lead vocals and was the best thing Rick had done in many years.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 10:46
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Though my very favourite band is Gentle Giant

Yeah, baby!

and to think that, not so long ago, just mentioning GG here at PA was considered obscene.

Good to see that some things have changed for good here!

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 12:47
GG's one of the major UK prog bands, though. When was it considered obscene? LOL

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 13:19
I suppose my only knock at ELP are the little 'beer hall' cute songs they included here and there on the early albums after the debut. To me they ruined/interrupted the flow of the longer more prog like tracks and the nice ballads. I never understood the point of that.....imho it would have been better to put them all on an album dedicated to the 'fun' songs so as not to affect the flow of the other albums with themed prog tracks.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 13:23

GG's one of the major UK prog bands, though. When was it considered obscene? LOL

When GG meant Giant Genitalia.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 13:25

Some very strange things happens here from time to time.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 14:04
My favorite is the first one. I think all of the first four studio albums are very good though. Parts of BSS are as good if not better than anything the band has done but parts of it are very repetitious and get a bit annoying after a while. That's my only problem with it. How many times do you they have to repeat the whole "welcome back my friends thing." If they cut that in half and put something else in there instead it would maybe be their best album. As is it is I'd still say it's maybe my second favorite album by them. Not sure. I suppose it depends on my mood. The first one was the first album by them I heard so maybe that's partly why it's my favorite. Tarkus has filler on side two and so does Trilogy. BSS as I implied also does(with the Karn Evil 9 section being padded out which makes it filler). 

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 15:47
My Favourite ELP lp (by miles) is the self titled first lp, vinyl on the original pink Island label.. and I really like Tarkus. I like Trilogy too but to a slightly lesser extent. My main problem with Brain salad surgery is the production; its very tinny and harsh with limited mid range and an odd metallic sheen over the whole thing.. I understand that perhaps that was intentional for Karn Evil 9 and fits into the futuristic theme but it just makes it almost unlistenable to my ears.. I admit, this is listening to original vinyl on a reasonable spec set up, not a re-mastered version. I briefly worked with a guy who in a previous position worked for ELP in logistics in the 70's and we went to see them on the Black Moon tour and it was a seriously good show and re-kindled my interest in their early lps. And, yes, I thought some of the Emerson, Lake and Powell lp was very good too..

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:33
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

For King Crimon (KC) the first albums until red would be not too hard I guess, but I suggest listening to their recent shows. It seems a little lighter to take and then see which songs you like and which albums they originally come from. Mainly KC was for me just getting used to a lot of dissonance and distortion...
As for ELP, adore their stuff! A lot of their songs have that typical classical feel. My favourites are The Endless Enigma, KE9 part (!)2(!), Tarkus obv., and yeah The Barbarian just rocks. Greg Lake is also my favourite singer (oh the first vocal part of Trilogy!). Though my very favourite band is Gentle Giant (with ELP and KC close behind), I guess that's my "obsession"?
Oh and yeah Dream Theater is probably the most popular Prog-metal bands, very technical, complicated rhythms (not really compared to tech-metal bands though) and has a lot of energy, but for me it gets boring after a while. And copying is somewhat against the nature of progressive rock, why many don't appreciate for example Triumvirat and In The Wake Of Poseidon (and shhh Neo-prog as a complete genre but shhhhh you can't say that ;)

Shocked Be careful friend! *looks around* Please don't say things that you umm 'shouldn't say on here.' I..I don't want there to be a problem. LOL

Your favorite band is Gentle Giant?? And you're obsessed? Hmm, I might be able to identify with that a little bit. Embarrassed

Anyway thanks for your input about ELP. I largely agree with it and although Lake is not my favorite singer, he's definitely right up there! Oh and I greatly appreciate your advice about KC, I may have to give them another chance. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:39

Cool! I don't need singing. I really like albums like The Snow Goose by Camel or Nouveau Calls by Wishbone Ash. Now I HAVE to check these out. Thanks again. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I suppose my only knock at ELP are the little 'beer hall' cute songs they included here and there on the early albums after the debut. To me they ruined/interrupted the flow of the longer more prog like tracks and the nice ballads. I never understood the point of that.....imho it would have been better to put them all on an album dedicated to the 'fun' songs so as not to affect the flow of the other albums with themed prog tracks.

Oh like Jeremy Bender. I'm not a huge fan of those either, but don't mind them. Sort of make the records slightly more interesting I suppose lol. Idk, to each their own. Thanks for your input though. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:52
Hmm seems like their debut is a lot of people's favorite on here, interesting. I like the 3 studio albums after it all better but definitely going have to listen to it again now(it's been a long time) and see what I could have missed.. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:57
I just looked it up and "Criminal Record" is not entirely instrumental. There's vocals on one track and a choir on others. Six wives which I am familiar with has vocals but no singing per se just "oohs and ahhs" from some of the same singers who were on Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon which explains why the background wordless vocals sound similar. Still I suppose we could call Six wives instrumental. 

If you do a search on here I believe you can still find some good threads on instrumental prog. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 19:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I just looked it up and "Criminal Record" is not entirely instrumental. There's vocals on one track and a choir on others. Six wives which I am familiar with has vocals but no singing per se just "oohs and ahhs" from some of the same singers who were on Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon which explains why the background wordless vocals sound similar. Still I suppose we could call Six wives instrumental. 

If you do a search on here I believe you can still find some good threads on instrumental prog

Cool, that sounds totally right up my alley. Thanks a lot.

And I just finished listening to the debut album all the way through, and it was pretty much like I remembered.. VERY good but still don't like it as much as the three studio albums that followed(they're just more my style).  

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 19:14
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

My Favourite ELP lp (by miles) is the self titled first lp, vinyl on the original pink Island label.. and I really like Tarkus. I like Trilogy too but to a slightly lesser extent. My main problem with Brain salad surgery is the production; its very tinny and harsh with limited mid range and an odd metallic sheen over the whole thing.. I understand that perhaps that was intentional for Karn Evil 9 and fits into the futuristic theme but it just makes it almost unlistenable to my ears.. I admit, this is listening to original vinyl on a reasonable spec set up, not a re-mastered version. I briefly worked with a guy who in a previous position worked for ELP in logistics in the 70's and we went to see them on the Black Moon tour and it was a seriously good show and re-kindled my interest in their early lps. And, yes, I thought some of the Emerson, Lake and Powell lp was very good too..

Wow, that's cool. And thanks for your input. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 19:30

Cool! I don't need singing. I really like albums like The Snow Goose by Camel or Nouveau Calls by Wishbone Ash. Now I HAVE to check these out. Thanks again.

Good to hear! Most of the albums in the list are posted yesterday are instrumental and contain incendiary playing.

Let me add two more by Rick Wakeman: Retro and Retro 2. They were recorded entirely with vintage keyboards (Moog, Mellotron, etc.) that were pulled out of storage or borrowed for the sessions. Both songs and instrumentals populate the two, but Retro 2 has less vocals. (I had hoped for a Retro 3  where he went 70/30 or 75/25 with the instrumentals/songs, but it didn't happen.)

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 19:32

I just looked it up and "Criminal Record" is not entirely instrumental. There's vocals on one track and a choir on others.

It's still considered one of his "instrumental" albums, unlike, for example, JttCotE, 1984, Time Machine, Rock 'n Roll Prophet, Out There, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 19:35

Good to hear! Most of the albums in the list are posted yesterday are instrumental and contain incendiary playing.

Let me add two more by Rick Wakeman: Retro and Retro 2. They were recorded entirely with vintage keyboards (Moog, Mellotron, etc.) that were pulled out of storage or borrowed for the sessions. Both songs and instrumentals populate the two, but Retro 2 has less vocals. (I had hoped for a Retro 3  where he went 70/30 or 75/25 with the instrumentals/songs, but it didn't happen.)

Awesome, thanks again for all the recommendations. Yeah, even sometimes on an album I'll be jamming out to the music and then singing starts and I'll like, "oh no come on.. don't ruin it!" 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 21:45

I appreciate it buddy. I used to be into Floyd but are they truly considered prog? Dream Theater I keep hearing mentioned but don't know anything by them, and this Mike person same thing. I already know a lot about Yes(them and Genesis are literally my favorite prog bands). LOVE ELP and Gentle Giant too though! 

No, I would say Wakeman's music is very much his own thing, not really so similar to Yes... except that they are both Symphonic prog, and that give them enough resemblance. Plus, if you check out Rick's keyboard solos on Yes music you can get a bit more of an idea of how his albums will sound. As said, Six Wives and Criminal Record are mostly instrumental, and both among his best (for me, specially 6 Wives). The opener of that album (Catherine of Aragon) is actually performed almost by the Yes line-up from CttE, so that one sounds a bit more Yes-like (mostly for the bass opening the song)... and Rick wanted it his solo contribution for Fragile, but for record labels contractual reasons he couldn't contribute song-writing with Yes, so he had to use that Brahms thing (I believe it would have benefitted Fragile a lot to have had that piece instead... but then it would have been missing from 6 Wives, which is just perfect the way it was released).There are some other contributions from Yes men on other songs of the album. Criminal Record actually features Squire and White on the first 3 songs, but the focus is on the keyboards anyway... the final (Judas Iscariot) song features prominently a church organ and choir, and is just a fantastic piece of music. As for other albums, besides 6 Wives, my other favourite is Myths and Legends from King Arthur, though this one is even more different from Yes: orchestra and choirs are the key words here, besides the keyboards, of course (and the bad singers, but they don't bother me anymore)... and if this album were to be your thing, then you would need to get Journey to the Centre of the Earth too. Besides this ones, the already mentioned "Out There" is really great too, and to a lesser extent, but still with great music included, the Retro albums (also already mentioned).

As for Floyd, they are mostly accepted as prog around here, and if you have polls including them, they will usually win or do very well, even against the other top bands (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson). And as far as I'm concerned they are perfectly prog. Dream Theater are prog metal, so liking metal is a must to get into them. I guess I could describe them as a metal version of Yes. If you like instrumental music and classic Genesis (the soft side of it), then you should like Mike Oldfield. His first 4 70's albums are pure instrumental magic, 2 songs per album (1 per side, of course)... except Incantations, a double album with 4 songs. Some other great albums after that too... but in particular his latest (return to Ommadawn) really brought him back to the great music he created in the 70's.

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 21:50

Cool! I don't need singing. I really like albums like The Snow Goose by Camel or <span>Nouveau Calls by Wishbone Ash. Now I HAVE to check these out. Thanks again. </span>

If you like instrumental, then you should check out Focus too. Hamburger Concerto is an awsome album, as well as Moving Waves. Mostly instrumental, with some medieval themes at times... or jazzy sections, and a good amount of flute. Plus, the guitar player is awsome too. Another piece for instrumental lovers would be the song "Histoires Sans Paroles" from Harmonium... total instrumental beauty... once again for lovers of the pastoral side of Genesis (as a matter of fact, the whole album would do fine for pastoral tastes, though the rest is not instrumental, and is sung in french). And then I guess another one you might like to check out is "The Geese and the Ghost" by Anthony Phillips (the original guitar player of Genesis)... once again a bit of Genesis resemblance in a soft way.

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 21:52

If you do a search on here I believe you can still find some good threads on instrumental prog. 

I hadn't noticed that thing about shared singers on 6 Wives and Dark Side... I'll have to check it out. It's a nice anecdotes (good for the Obscure Prog Facts that was around for a good time a while ago).

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 21:56
Oh yeah, one more thing, for the Genesis loving part, you might want to check out Big Big Train's English Electric albums. I really loved those ones, and they had that feel from Genesis, without ripping them off. Though, actually, given the sound they achieved, I would love if they would make a tribute album of classic Genesis.

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 22:04

I hadn't noticed that thing about shared singers on 6 Wives and Dark Side... I'll have to check it out. It's a nice anecdotes (good for the Obscure Prog Facts that was around for a good time a while ago).

Well only two singers were the same for both sessions(Liza Strike and Barry St. John)but you can still hear strong similarities in the backing vocals nonetheless. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 22:57

Oh yeah, one more thing, for the Genesis loving part, you might want to check out Big Big Train's English Electric albums. I really loved those ones, and they had that feel from Genesis, without ripping them off. Though, actually, given the sound they achieved, I would love if they would make a tribute album of classic Genesis.

I do love my classic Genesis.. ANY Genesis tbh.  Yeah wow, thanks a lot for all of these great suggestions in all these posts tonight. A lot to digest lol. And that Mike guy sounds great.. 4 albums in a row of pure instrumental magic. Mercy, that sounds fantastic to me. And that Catherine of Aragon performed by almost the CTTE lineup.. anything done by that version of Yes has to be good! So thanks again for all your suggestions.. looks like a whole lot of terrific stuff here for me to discover.. 

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 23:06
I just listened to the whole Brain Salad Surgery again from start to finish and man what an album! Yeah, it has some 'silliness' if you want to call it that with Benny the Bouncer.. but man Karn Evil 9(the whole of it) just so kick ass. Keith Emerson doing magic those keyboards, and really the whole band just on fire! For me that album, Selling England by the Pound, and Close to the Edge are simply prog at it's best. There's those three albums and then everything else. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 05:04
I never was an ELP fan. They have top skills and I like Lake as a singer a lot; I respect them, but very often they don't touch me. I have the impression that often there's too much showing off in their music, doing something in order to show that they can, complexity for complexity's sake, and then sometimes doing something ridiculous because "yes, we can do that, too". Of course this is personal, if you feel touched by their music, fine by me.

That said, I love the whole first album and there's quite a bit of material on the next few that I like, too. They could actually write really good melodies, and also generate a lot of energy and power, and you can find a lot of musicality - just top musicians. Still... too often something's missing for me.

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 05:07
KE9. First Impression is as good as it gets for ELP...shortly behind is PAAE and Tarkus (title track)....A lot of the other stuff is very poor by comparison. I'm not too keen on the stuff before Tarkus.... nor any stuff after BSS.
Yes & genesis 1970-1977 have far more quality and consistency.
I would recommend - The Par Lindh project - Gothic Impressions - thats very ELP in parts and It's a brilliant CD!

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 05:42
Just been Capcha'd several times this eve for posting extended responses. Captcha can get f**ked. I'm not bothering with nothing but few word replies......(dirty c**ts.......)

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 05:45
ELP are great. Their Works albums and Love Beach were on the cheezy side, but still had some great material.
Love Black Moon !!!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 05:50
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I also don't like the production on BSS. It sounds like a transistor radio turned up loud. It baffles me that some people think it sounds great. It has no balls.

As for ELPowell. I have a 'complex' relationship with that album. There are some dynamite tracks on ELPowell; The Score, Touch & Go and The Miracle, but then they also butchered Holst and for some wierd reason recorded a version of The Locomotion.. I guess they were just having fun.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 06:20
I think the old U.S. Cotillion vinyl pressings had a much 'beefier' and heavy sound to them. Could be my overactive imagination though.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 07:21
All that is wonderful and utterly deplorable about Prog is manifest in ELP (and that's why they should be a salutary deterrent to anyone even attempting 'earnest' on this site) : Unimpeachable virtuosity wedded to musical substance, grandiose musical structures, unfettered musical ambition, faux symphonic rigour, pyrotechnical panto theatrics, supply teacher lyricism, tongue in cheek bombast, 'everything louder than everything else' dynamics and a huge slice of 'devil may care' chutzpah. I love 'em to bits and hope that Lester Bangs continues to relish their work from whatever corner of Hell he is consigned, shackled in front of a PA system blasting out their entire discography for eternity (with In the Hot Seat repeated twice each time for ironic emphasis)

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 09:40
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I would recommend - The Par Lindh project - Gothic Impressions - thats very ELP in parts and It's a brilliant CD!

I concur, and the next two are even better: Mundus Incompertus, and Veni Vidi Vici.

A decade later, Par Lindh returned with a new album and line-up for Time Mirror, which is also good.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 11:54
^ Also, try the Agentinian band Nexus. 

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 14:25
C'mon, Japanese trio of beautiful ladies, Ars Nova, are a great substitute for ELP. Throw in a bit of Goblin and Balletto Di Bronzo and there you have it !!

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 14:50
Occasionally i Try to listen to Love Beach hoping that there is something that I might have missed . I always start with side two but when I flip it over I just can't get even halfway through the title track Love Beach so I just skip to Canario and say to myself, " Yep, still sh*t".

Date Posted: August 04 2017 at 15:29

C'mon, Japanese trio of beautiful ladies, Ars Nova, are a great substitute for ELP. Throw in a bit of Goblin and Balletto Di Bronzo and there you have it !!

Check my big list of recommends in this thread. Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk