Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114284
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 04:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WTF Phil ???
Posted By: JD
Subject: WTF Phil ???
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:18
Ok...so god bless his soul for wanting to honour his touring commitments but WTF ???
Is this Phil Collins or that guy from the Six Flags Commercial ? Time to put it to rest Phil.

Next up, The Rolling Stones Steel Wheelchair Tour!

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:25
Seems a bit harsh, didn't he have a back injury or something?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:31
Well....he could have at least stood with some kind of support....in a chair honestly....next he'll be thinking he's Robert Fripp.

;)

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Seems a bit harsh, didn't he have a back injury or something?
He had some sort of back surgery, but it was a fall on the way to the can where he smacked his head on a chair for some serious stitches that put him in this position. (Help, I've fallen and I can't get up).

Nevertheless, ELP garnered a world of hate here when they did the 40th Anniversary concert, and as one their biggest fans I had to agree, they weren't up to it. At least not the live stuff, and that was due to a physical restriction with Keith's hand and perhaps Greg's aging voice and limited range, I still believe they could have done some great recordings.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:39
"I Can't Dance" could be the caption for that image as it has become more relevant for Phil Collins.

I'm thankful that Robert Wyatt didn't give up music after his back-breaking accident in 1973 that left him paralysed from the waist down and wheelchair bound. He came back very successfully, one might say, to quote a Phil song, against all odds.

Even if Phil Collins were to become wheelchair bound, that doesn't mean that he won't be in your hearts. That's All I have to say, as personally I Don't Care Anymore if he retires or not, just because I'm not a big fan or one might say an Easy Lover of his music. Seriously, more power to him for continuing to perform despite any physical issues. Sometimes the show must go on.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:50
Ian Anderson and Dave Grohl come to mind. Like Phil Collins, I have more respect for them than, say, Axel Rose or [some other famous person who is/was late a lot].

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 13:38
hahhaha

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:30
Hey, the guy had a nasty accident (he slipped in the bath room and crashed onto a stool or something),
so give him some slack for still trying..

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:31
Old Father Time (Lee Sklar) in the background isn't helping matters much.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:57
Look....does he really even need to do this...he's made a sh*te load of money according to sales data. Why is he even still on stage?
https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/musician/phil-collins-net-worth/
260 million.....Phil...retire already.

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 17:03
"....You STAND there with your fixed expression..."

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 17:05
The energy of a supportive crowd must be worth it in itself. 

Aaaah thousands of people to connect with and share the very feeling !! Muhammad Ali could also enjoy this... Hawking also ...? Emerson must have lost that blessing after the '77 tour.

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 18:36
He looks rough for his age. I'm not aware of what accident or injury he's dealing with, but that's unfortunate.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:48
I guess some people can't let it go. Look at Ian Anderson, Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, they can hardly sing, and still are going on touring (though Geddy Lee seems to finally have accepted the sad true).

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:57
Pity, in his day he was probably the BEST drummer in prog rock!  

He should listen to the lyrics of "Ripples"....

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:59
He starred in this video.....great song and video. Clap

Related image

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 20:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Pity, in his day he was probably the BEST drummer in prog rock!  

I think he is highly underrated in the larger world.. but let's not overrate him in our fish bowl

he was a good prog drummer... but he was no Carl Palmer.

in a word.. Toccata... IMO the single most impressive drumming in all prog rock right there.  Only Palmer could have composed and pulled that off...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 21:43
Oh, aging rockers.  Maybe they remind us of our own mortality.

I'll never forget this sad if completely unfair photo of one of my guitar gods -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiS7M2SiYnaAhUV12MKHapGCWcQjRx6BAgAEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Farticlebio.com%2Feddie-van-halen&psig=AOvVaw0Y0wvgLTxcS9QMbzb6bbaG&ust=1522121999460194" rel="nofollow">Related image

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 25 2018 at 21:45
it's shocking to see how fast Phil deteriorated ---very sad. I've been seeing pics of his concerts on Facebook and he does the whole thing from a chair. His voice is hit or miss but still sort of there. Tony Banks saw him and commented on how fragile he is. And recently said tours of Genesis would most likely never happen. It's sad because the band is not that old and all of them are in good shape except Phil.

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 02:16
^EVH started going downhill in the early 2000's. I think he had part of his tongue removed due to cancer? He wasn't exactly caring for his health his entire career, either.

I think Tony Banks recently said somewhere that Genesis is done.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 04:26
Does this mean that Phil will have to change his album cover photos again, for an even older looking pic of himself? Confused

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 04:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I'll never forget this sad if completely unfair photo of one of my guitar gods -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiS7M2SiYnaAhUV12MKHapGCWcQjRx6BAgAEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Farticlebio.com%2Feddie-van-halen&psig=AOvVaw0Y0wvgLTxcS9QMbzb6bbaG&ust=1522121999460194" rel="nofollow">Related image
Huh, Van Halen or Beethovan?

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 04:39
Does it matter ?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Look....does he really even need to do this...he's made a sh*te load of money according to sales data. Why is he even still on stage?
https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/musician/phil-collins-net-worth/
260 million.....Phil...retire already.

LOL
He's been cleaned out by gold-diggers more often than a Yukon deposit.....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 05:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Huh, Van Halen or Beethovan?
He looks healthier these days !!
He did sport the ‘worn-out Rock Star’ look for a while there.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:08
C'mon... Phil is only 67 and some prog icons are already in their seventies and still performing. I read a tweet a few days ago about Kerry Minnear and Derek and Ray Shulman being up to something ( https://twitter.com/GGIANTMUSIC/status/976704994173964289" rel="nofollow - link ). And Phil does not need to wear the Old Man mask, like PG in the heyday of Genesis.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:11
^ Come on ! How many pictures of Phil do we need?! Oh, that's not Phil...never mind.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:13
^So you noticed the striking resemblance ... Wink

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:15
How old is Phil ?
67 ???
Nik Turner is pushing 80 and still bouncing around...........
f**k, Ozzy is doing fine (relatively).
Poor Phil. Gosh, don’t we all think we’re invincible in our youth....?

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:32

That EVH is only shocling if you know it's him (hadn't really recognized him right away), but otherwise it looks like any ageing rocker

For Collins, it's much more worrysome, though.

I gess that's what he deserves for ruining Genesis, prog and ProgArchives Evil SmilePigClown

Just kidding Phil...Embarrassed

Hope you get betterHug

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Hope you get betterHug

Seconded. None of us are getting any younger.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 13:25
Phil Collins ruined old age.....

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:32
My question is how did he sound? How was the music? I don't care how old he is or what he looks like. He appears fragile and has clearly had a rough time of it. I saw Ravi Shankar, B.B. King and Andres Segovia when they were well into their 80s and they gave excellent performances. What each one had lost in terms of fire they gained in soul. Granted, there were no laser light shows or anything like that, but that just brings me back to my original question - how did it all sound? We all age and some of us get beat up in the process. The heart of the artist moves on and incorporates the changes.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:48

Does it matter ?

Absolutely. I actually knew Beethoven. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 18:14
^ You're thinking of Bay Toven, the female journalist who broke the Welsh transportation scam in 2009.

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

yeah man.... after seeing those pics yesterday I picked up an extra carton of Winstons and 2 extra bottles of Jack...  and one nasty ass grease laden cheese steak.  That voodoo priestess told me that I didn't have long left on this earth.. yet I haven't been able to kill myself yet... and more than death I fear looking like Phil Collins, EVH.. or simply pissing and drooling on myself while the nursing home crew is out back smoking dope...

f**k old age...

-------------

Posted By: sidc58
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:41
Carl Palmer did not compose "Toccata". It is by Ginastera.

-------------
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:42
no sh*t...  what he did compose is the middle drum section..

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

How old is Phil ?
67 ???
Nik Turner is pushing 80 and still bouncing around...........
f**k, Ozzy is doing fine (relatively).
Poor Phil. Gosh, don’t we all think we’re invincible in our youth....?

I can't believe he can still stand (somewhat) upright!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:48

Cristian Vander still strong and on fire at 70 years of age.  Most importantly, creative juices have not dried up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJjValFQq4

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:49

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

yeah man.... after seeing those pics yesterday I picked up an extra carton of Winstons and 2 extra bottles of Jack...  and one nasty ass grease laden cheese steak.  That voodoo priestess told me that I didn't have long left on this earth.. yet I haven't been able to kill myself yet... and more than death I fear looking like Phil Collins, EVH.. or simply pissing and drooling on myself while the nursing home crew is out back smoking dope...

f**k old age...
Oh, you are a caution.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

"....You STAND there with your fixed expression..."

I was thinking the same exact thing. He looks like the old man character that Peter Gabriel used to do during the Musical Box. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 21:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

My question is how did he sound? How was the music? I don't care how old he is or what he looks like. He appears fragile and has clearly had a rough time of it. I saw Ravi Shankar, B.B. King and Andres Segovia when they were well into their 80s and they gave excellent performances. What each one had lost in terms of fire they gained in soul. Granted, there were no laser light shows or anything like that, but that just brings me back to my original question - how did it all sound? We all age and some of us get beat up in the process. The heart of the artist moves on and incorporates the changes.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 22:53
Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 09:28
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.

After reading Bruford's autobiography I had the impression that he didn't give up primarily for his lower back issues...more for the fact that he became so bitter and disillusioned with the industry and the stress of leading his own bands.  It's a strange book...the first half is exciting and fun, the second half hard to read as it's just plain sad Ouch

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 10:12
Bruford always sounded bitter to me, regardless of the era. But a great drummer hands down.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 10:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Bruford always sounded bitter to me, regardless of the era. But a great drummer hands down.

I think he's just cynical, to be honest. Comes off kind of elitist, but the dude can play a beat or two.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 11:34
Indeed he do!

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:39
Generation X has been spoiled by many great drummers: Bruford, Copeland, Peart, Chambers, White, Harrison, etc. But we still got Portnoy! (;

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 19:38
Let’s not forget his old bandmate Steve Hackett, who turned 67 last year and is still recording and touring, and still hale and hearty.  His concert in my area last year was the concert of the year.  Okay, it was the only one I attended, but still…

I couldn’t help comparing him to a neighbor of mine who’s the same age and ridden with health issues, largely due a lifelong smoking habit.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 21:25
^ I just saw Steve a few weeks ago, and indeed it was wonderful. Specially the second set, pure Genesis magic. I only wish he had played the whole Shadow of the Hierophant and Cinema Show.

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:05
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

Carl Palmer did not compose "Toccata". It is by Ginastera.

Ok, let's talk Carl for a moment. He just turned 68 and he is in incredible shape. He tours more than any other Prog Dinosaur and is still a solid player. Granted he doesn't have the speed he had in the 70's (who does?) but he plays with guys half his age and never falls behind.

Do you think one type of musician (Keys, Drums, Bass etc.) ages harder than another or is it purely genetics or lifestyle?

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 07:39
Hi,

I'm not sure that Christian Vander will stop playing before he breaks one more bass drum petal or gets the bass drum flying off the floor again ... !!! 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 14:06
just think of poor and brave sax player Barbara Thompson who suffers from Parkinson's disease. she has to be strapped into a chair to prevent her from falling out of it, and still she plays on

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 14:16
Between Collins, Bruford and Palmer: who promotes the best life as a pop/prog musician ?

(Knowing that C.P. is also on duty as a bouncer , as we can see https://www.facebook.com/CarlFPalmer/videos/1693652667379712/" rel="nofollow - here )

-------------
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 15:44
This guy !

Photos by JD

-------------

Date Posted: March 28 2018 at 17:25
But these guys are ok too !

Photos by JD

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 29 2018 at 08:08
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

After reading Bruford's autobiography I had the impression that he didn't give up primarily for his lower back issues...more for the fact that he became so bitter and disillusioned with the industry and the stress of leading his own bands.  It's a strange book...the first half is exciting and fun, the second half hard to read as it's just plain sad Ouch

I had a hard time with it as well, and I'm not sure why he can not say something nice about the music he did in his life, and has completely left it to waste. It's like he was not a part of Fragile, or Close to the Edge, or anything that KC did ... like his own sound and drumming was not existent ... and I simply do not see that at all ... 

I kept thinking that someone that could help him come off more positive would be nice to make the book more interesting and better. But there are some bits that are crazy ... like the small video where he shows you the "same thing", but on two different places, and they sound so different that you never realized that it helped a song ... and it was exactly the same thing on two places. I think he was saying that too much drumming is just cheating, and not about the music itself, and on this part I would agree with him.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:19
I see zero problems with this.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:37
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

This guy !

But these guys are ok too !

Great photos...A first line witness of Great Times you are !!

Do you also mean, not only in their prime, but all their lives throughout ?...

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I'm not sure why he can not say something nice about the music he did in his life, and has completely left it to waste. It's like he was not a part of Fragile, or Close to the Edge, or anything that KC did ... like his own sound and drumming was not existent ... and I simply do not see that at all ... 

Let's not forget family challenges: his kids made no name in the showbiz, so what if he turns out to be the only admired semi-god, who can enjoy fun in famous bands, in the family ? It creates a sense of deep unfairness, so maybe better for him to get rid of all those magic glorious showbiz things and focus on getting along with his family ?...

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:40
I just feel bad for him having to deal with his condition.

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2018 at 14:48
I certainly can't answer to their lives as I'm but a humble man who lives a humble life.

I can tell you this, I have met and spoken at length with Carl twice in my lifetime, once during the soundcheck prior to the first ever concert Asia did in London Ont. and then several years later at a drum clinic he put on in the Toronto area. Both times he was every bit the gentleman you would expect by looking at him. Courteous, engaging and interested in my opinions. I have no direct comparison for Bill or Phil. I'm glad he still puts on quality shows for fans around the world. I do wish he would do another original project, but it seems unlikely at this time.

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 11:15
^  Maybe he doesn't trust new material to compare in quality ? He could test new things under an unknown band name and "officialize" if it works... There are ways to add new repertoire without risking too much... but maybe he's just so happy playing on ! For sure concerts with his current band look very good, even if it's well-known stuff

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: March 30 2018 at 13:05

I certainly can't answer to their lives as I'm but a humble man who lives a humble life.

I can tell you this, I have met and spoken at length with Carl twice in my lifetime, once during the soundcheck prior to the first ever concert Asia did in London Ont. and then several years later at a drum clinic he put on in the Toronto area. Both times he was every bit the gentleman you would expect by looking at him. Courteous, engaging and interested in my opinions. I have no direct comparison for Bill or Phil. I'm glad he still puts on quality shows for fans around the world. I do wish he would do another original project, but it seems unlikely at this time.

I spoke to Bill for a bit after an ABWH show.  He was very nice and personable.  He had nothing bad to say about any of the music he performed over the years (I mentioned Yes, KC, Genesis, UK, and a few others).  It may have loosened him up that I asked him to sign an Earthworks cover.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: April 12 2018 at 08:32

I'm but a humble man 
or so you boast

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: lostrom
Date Posted: April 27 2018 at 04:39
No big deal, we're all getting old.