Print Page | Close Window

What is the worst album you've heard

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116668
Printed Date: July 26 2024 at 17:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What is the worst album you've heard
Posted By: TCat
Subject: What is the worst album you've heard
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 09:05
So, after reviewing one of the worst albums ever (The Residents "The Big Bubble" Thumbs Down), I was curious as to what are some of the worst albums you have heard?  Feel free to add as many as you want. 
If this thread has been done before, I apologize, but I don't think it will hurt to discuss this again. 
Since this is such a negative thread, go ahead and be funny to turn it all into something positive.  And if you see any in this forum that you think are undeserving of being anyone's worst album, feel free to enlighten us, but be polite. 
Sometimes, just knowing something that no one else knew can help bring about an appreciation of even the worst album.  (In The Big Bubble, even after explaining the reasoning behind this hilariously awful album, it didn't make it any better.)

Edit:  Let's keep the discussion about prog or prog related bands, otherwise this list would be endless.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 09:23
Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos 
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:03
I wouldn't say "worst album" on this one but I really didn't like Vapor Trails  (Rush) 
 I'm a big Rush fan , but that one just didn't work for me. 

P.S. 
I'm assuming we are going with prog or prog related albums & not something like the Go Go's 
 (or else we would be here all day!)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Camera Camera? Those is fighten' words!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:10
Yes - Heaven and Earth
Queensryche - Frequency Unknown
Asia - Astra
GTR - GTR
ELP - Love Beach

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

sorry Steve, but I tried really hard with 80s Renaissance, nothing remotely interesting for me. 
Earth & Fire are another band that went pop and became unlistenable for me. 

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:18

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

I actually saw them on that tour. There was one song on the album I liked (Tyrant-Tula) 
Cool bass line , the rest , well lets just say it wasn't Scheherazade.

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:26
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

well lets just say it wasn't Scheherazade.
Well, that's for damn sure! LOL

-------------

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:49
Arc - Neil Young. Played once - never again!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 11:35
Tull: Under Wraps. I never got past side 1.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:00
Tough question but I have to say I picked up an original vinyl copy of Jon Anderson's Song of Seven the other day (cheap price..)...mint condition and nice cover.....never heard it before . Perhaps one of the most boring things I have ever heard.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:31
Arc was the first CD I ever bought. I played it on repeat for nine hours. Then a few weeks later I did the same, but only for six hours.
Amazing album.

The worst prog album I ever heard was the first Asia album. Kansas a close second (can't remember which albums I attempted, but they were all dreary)

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:59
Worst album?
Prog - Rael - Mascaras Urbanas
Non-prog - Cristofer Luca - Stopy i Werble

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:29
Worst prog?  I would have to say Steve Howe's first solo album "Beginnings," I find his voice impossible to tolerate.  

For Yes, it is a tie between "Big Generator" and "Heaven and Earth."  

I really try to find the value of all music, but some efforts are just impossible to tolerate.  Sorry if my selections offend anyone.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:47

I never heard it but catfish rising was pretty bad. Just boring songs. Zzzzzzzzz. 

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Worst prog?  I would have to say Steve Howe's first solo album "Beginnings," I find his voice impossible to tolerate.  

I really try to find the value of all music, but some efforts are just impossible to tolerate.  Sorry if my selections offend anyone.

Not really offended but I kind of get tired of people throwing Big Generator under the bus. There's some great stuff on there especially I'm running, final eyes and holy lamb. Even Shoot High aim low is pretty decent. I admit the rest is hit or miss and often poppy but not bad.

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 14:36
Had to dig deep into my brain cells to recall albums, or rather bands, over decades:

Aviator
Blodwyn Pig
Flower Kings
Air Supply Wink

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:11
The first one that springs to mind,,Lou Reed's Metal Music Machine.
Mind ,after reading a review,I knew what I was getting into.
Only managed to sample my way through some of it.
Horrendous.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:25
aren't we supposed to mention prog bands since this is in the prog music section?

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:50

There are many albums that I listened to before deciding not to obtain that album because it didn't appeal to me enough. There are also albums that I obtained before hearing it for the first time. Perhaps I obtained them because I was familiar with other works by the artist, or perhaps they were regarded as masterpieces by reputable sources. Anyway, the following two albums are albums that I actually have:

Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

In the case of Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts, I was so offended when I first listened to this that I thought that I had been ripped off by this album. However, I decided to listen to it again just before I wrote this post, and it didn't evoke the same feelings of hatred that it did the first time I listened to it. Therefore, I'm not sure if it really belongs here.

In the case of Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica, this is an album that I just can't get into regardless of how many times I listen to it. There are some tracks that do have some appeal, but overall the album just doesn't appeal to me.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:15
For those who referenced the first Asia album: prog alumni don't always a prog record make. And they didn't set out to make one. Asia's AOR all the way, just like Journey and Survivor.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:20

I agree. He's an incredible guitarist, but a horrible vocalist.

Open Your Eyes and Talk definitely rank lower (for me) than Big Generator, which at least has "Shoot High, Aim Low."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:23
I've heard a lot of dodgy prog over the years, but this one's the worst...

Badger - One Live Badger (Tony Kaye is fired from Yes and forms Badger.  What could go wrong?  One Live Badger is One Lousy Album)

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:27
^ Oh come on, that's a raunchy heavy-prog classic !  

I think there may even be a couple good songs on it too.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Cylli Kat
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:55
Well, I'm not too keen on Slim Whitman or Boxcar Willie...

Despite the fact that a lynch mob may form by my saying this; but anything Steven Wilson has been associated with
would make the list. (I've tried and tried, Wilson's material just doesn't resonate with me at all.)

But the biggest bomb in recent memory would have to be Dream Theater - The Astonishing.
Horrendous waste of money and time. Where's the puke emoticon when you need it?

-------------
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 18:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Oh come on, that's a raunchy heavy-prog classic !  

I think there may even be a couple good songs on it too.

One proghead's raunchy is another proghead's trashy LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 18:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

For those who referenced the first Asia album: prog alumni don't always a prog record make. And they didn't set out to make one. Asia's AOR all the way, just like Journey and Survivor.

The Asia debut is fine if you dont expect it to sound like a Yes or KC spinoff...but they did get even less inspired with each subsequent album. But to lump them in with Journey and Survivor? That's just uncalled for.

And there was an exception to that rule, their XXX album is a masterpiece from end to end with nary a bad cut.

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 18:28
^Have you guys not heard the first three Journey albums(pre Steve Perry)? 

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:06
Yeah, definitely better. Much like the first couple Ambrosia albums.

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:08
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Good comparison. 

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Very familiar with them, but Asia doesn't sound like those albums. Asia, Alpha and Astra are dyed-in-the-wool catchy AOR rock records (not that there's anything wrong with that), in the same manner (per your tastes) like Perry-era Journey and Survivor. In AOR, the vocals are the centerpiece, not the instruments. These bands (and most AOR bands) boast great singers.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:18

The Asia debut is fine if you dont expect it to sound like a Yes or KC spinoff...but they did get even less inspired with each subsequent album. But to lump them in with Journey and Survivor? That's just uncalled for.

LOL If only you knew how many crazy Journey fans there are out there who would say it's outrageous to "lump" their favorite band in with Asia, Survivor, Foreigner, etc.! (And I like the first few albums by Foreigner a lot.)

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:25
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I wouldn't say "worst album" on this one but I really didn't like Vapor Trails  (Rush) 
 I'm a big Rush fan , but that one just didn't work for me. 

P.S. 
I'm assuming we are going with prog or prog related albums & not something like the Go Go's 
 (or else we would be here all day!)

Yes I suppose it would be a good idea to keep the thread within Prog and prog related.  The list would be endless otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:32
As far as Yes is concerned, the only Jon Anderson led album I can't tolerate is "Open Your Eyes".  Other than that, the band that recorded "Far From Here" and "Heaven and Earth" are imposters.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:34

Good comparison. 

I love it when there is an appreciation for the 2 early Ambrosia albums.  Their debut album is always at the top of my list of favorites.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:45
I just saw King Crimson live and I love them to pieces... but the sound on the Earthbound live album is outright unbearable. What were they thinking?? (I have even seen the odd good review of that one... probably they just wanted to be uncivilised and wild no matter how it sounds...)

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:46
When it comes to prog, I guess Porcupine Tree's "In the Sunday of Life". Scratch that...Floyd's"Ummagumma" is worse.
I bet there are lots of Avant/RIO bands with really sh*tty albums, but I don't listen to that.

But if you are asking for the WORST album I've ever heard, it must be Atari Teenage Riot's "60 second wipeout". Pure, unadulterated garbage.

Metallica's "St. Anger",Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" and their team effort called "Lulu"...those are unlistenable too.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 22:08
When Roger Waters was touring The Wall some years ago, I went to see them in a trip on a bus to go to the city were the concert was held (Mexico City). Since we arrived early enough, the guy who organized the trip stopped at a market specialized on music (I got Zarathurstra from Museo Rosenbach there, as well as another Tull album that wasn't nearly as memorable)... however, someone else got an album that he put on while we were heading back after the concert... some extreme metal album or whatever (I have never really liked growling, so it was out of my preference to begin with)... however, it just sounded like noise... and there wasn't even singing, it was rather like a dog half howling, half growling, and half just bored at doing it, and all the "music" was just a mess... fortunatley I don't really remember much from it, but it was rather annoying to have to tolerate such horrible "music"... twice in a row.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 22:10

I agree. He's an incredible guitarist, but a horrible vocalist.

Open Your Eyes and Talk definitely rank lower (for me) than Big Generator, which at least has "Shoot High, Aim Low."

Thanks!  Yes has had their share of rank LPs.  I should have put "Onion" in the pile as well.  Some have given props for "Big Generator," so I'll give it another listen.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 02 2018 at 22:30
This list could be endless just with prog that went astray in the 70s and beyond!

I agree with many already stated:

Asia - Astra
Queensryche - anything after "Promised Land"
80s Renaissance

I'm probably the most tolerant music lover as i love pop and novelty cheese
But..... these suck!

Area - Tic & Tac
anything Phil Collins solo
Agitation Free - 2nd
Genesis - From Gensis To Revelation
Genesis - Calling All Stations
non-Fish era Marillion
Iron Maiden without Bruce Dickinson
Zarathustra - self titled
Atomic Rooster - Nice & Greasy
Thirsty Moon - Blitz
Karl Jenkins - Rubber Riff
Can - Flow Motion
Magma - Merci
most Barclay James Harvest but especially 80s
Rick Wakeman - Cirque Surreal
IQ - Are You Sitting Comfortably?
Yes - Union

I could really go on ad nauseum but you get my drift. There be some sucky pseudo-prog out there! But there are albums i like that everybody else hates too so forgive me if you like something here Big smile

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 02:01
Prog:
Acqua Fragile - Mass-Media Stars (a constipated Peter Gabriel - no thanks)

All:
Eros Ramazzotti - In Ogni Senso (thanks to various pasta/pizza-restaurants throughout the 90's - after he had a monster-hit in most of Europe with that horrid Se Bastasse Una Calzone)

What? Both Italians - but I love vintage Italian music more than anything. 

Extra bonus hate: worst canonized rock album ever: Exile on Main Street

Btw: I know its Canzone

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:16
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Prog:

All:
Eros Ramazzotti - In Ogni Senso (thanks to various pasta/pizza-restaurants throughout the 90's - after he had a monster-hit in most of Europe with that horrid Se Bastasse Una Calzone)

I caught your intended slip up there LOL.  (Calzone/Canzone). 

What about "I Pooh", who is listed on this site btw.  They probably have the highest amount of terrible albums and really only had a couple of songs that could really be considered prog.  I always thought of them as Italy's Air Supply.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:26
^ don't f**k with I Pooh.. they rule.... one of my favorite torture devises to my dear wife.. who screams in pain everytime I put on one of their albums...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Prog:

All:

What about "I Pooh", who is listed on this site btw.  They probably have the highest amount of terrible albums and really only had a couple of songs that could really be considered prog.  I always thought of them as Italy's Air Supply.

You are a man after my own heartClap. I grew up in Italy, at at time when I Pooh regularly topped the charts every time they released something, and have always hated them with a passion. Though they are undeniably talented musicians, the cheesy oversentimentality of their output has always put me off big time.  However, the stuff released by Alan Sorrenti and New Trolls after both stopped being prog makes I Pooh sound like Yes circa CTTE. To avoid giving you nightmares, I'll refrain from posting anything here, but if you are curious just google "Tu sei l'unica donna per me" or "Quella carezza della sera"Dead.

In terms of worst album released by a favourite band, I'd nominate Deep Purple's The House of Blue Light - a true abomination of an album, with only a halfway decent song on it.

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:33
hahahah.. oh I know what I am putting on next...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 11:20
Probably Venom-Welcome To Hell-the band's retarded lyrics and image make it so, plus the music is pretty moronic, as well

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 11:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Probably Venom-Welcome To Hell-the band's retarded lyrics and image make it so, plus the music is pretty moronic, as well

I don't like Venom either, but you are way to harsh (plus don't use the "r-word", I'm not even gonna write it).

Their music and lyrics were tongue in cheek, over the top. Even they admitted. Same idea that was behind shock-rock. 

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 11:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I just saw King Crimson live and I love them to pieces... but the sound on the Earthbound live album is outright unbearable. What were they thinking?? (I have even seen the odd good review of that one... probably they just wanted to be uncivilised and wild no matter how it sounds...)

I believe it was actually recorded on a cassette player, so it's really not much more than an audience bootleg.  That's why Atlantic never released it in the US and it was only available as an import.  Besides, it has those 2 interminably boring 2 chord vamps with Boz scat singing...scary.  That said, it has one of my all time favorite live versions of Schizoid Man with Boz' vocals run through some type of distortion (or perhaps Sinfield running a VCS3).  Anyway, didn't Fripp clean it up and re-release the same show on the King Crimson Collectors Club album, "Live at Jacksonville" ?

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:15

I don't like Venom either, but you are way to harsh (plus don't use the "r-word", I'm not even gonna write it).

Their music and lyrics were tongue in cheek, over the top. Even they admitted. Same idea that was behind shock-rock. 
If you feel I am using offensive language, then report me, but I feel Venom deserve much worse, really...

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:22

If you feel I am using offensive language, then report me, but I feel Venom deserve much worse, really...

what's the point of using that word? Were you annoyed so much by this band? 

I listened to the band, I did not like it much, I don't care for them, end of story. No negative emotion needed. 

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 13:44
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Prog:

All:

You are a man after my own heartClap. I grew up in Italy, at at time when I Pooh regularly topped the charts every time they released something, and have always hated them with a passion. Though they are undeniably talented musicians, the cheesy oversentimentality of their output has always put me off big time.  However, the stuff released by Alan Sorrenti and New Trolls after both stopped being prog makes I Pooh sound like Yes circa CTTE. To avoid giving you nightmares, I'll refrain from posting anything here, but if you are curious just google "Tu sei l'unica donna per me" or "Quella carezza della sera"Dead.

In terms of worst album released by a favourite band, I'd nominate Deep Purple's The House of Blue Light - a true abomination of an album, with only a halfway decent song on it.

Yes I'm familiar with "New Trolls" too.  At least they had a couple of full prog albums and not just one or two songs, but they practically buried themselves from any respect when they left prog.

The interesting thing about pop in Italy is that Prog is so popular there that even their pop artists try to incorporate prog into their music, sometimes to embarrassingly bad music.  I remember one example when I was staying in Italy, but I don't remember the artist.  The lyrics were "Music was my first love, and it will be my last.  Music of the future and music of the past."  and so on.  Ugh what an awful song.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ don't f**k with I Pooh.. they rule.... one of my favorite torture devises to my dear wife.. who screams in pain everytime I put on one of their albums...

So sadistic.....LOL

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 15:30

Hm..I haven't listened to this for a long time, but I remember liking it.

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

When it comes to prog, I guess Porcupine Tree's "In the Sunday of Life". Scratch that...Floyd's"Ummagumma" is worse.
I bet there are lots of Avant/RIO bands with really sh*tty albums, but I don't listen to that.

Umma Gumma is my favorite Floyd album.

You and me both. There are times when Ian's lyrics and vocals are poignant and irresistible and there are times when they're a ponderous chore to listen to.

For me, worst album, I might choose IQ - Nomzamo, Ash Ra Tempel's debut, or Gentle Giant - Giant For a Day. I'm not sure which.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 16:09

So sadistic.....LOL

that's me I suppose! LOL Best friend you could ever want.. worst enemy you could ever have...

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 16:55
Many European neo bands like Final Conflict. Chandelier, Ziff and Jump recorded subpar albums. Not horrid, per se, but bland, as though they foraged for scraps in the bin outside Fish-era Marillion's studio.

Now, if you want to talk about a fall from grace, the final album Twelfth Night recorded before they initially called it a day, XII, was simply awful. They'd finally thrown in the proverbial towel and tried to go new wave/ro and turned out something dreadful. Avoid at all costs.

Another dud: Saga's The Pleasure and the Pain. I believe it's their "contractual obligation" album or something. Should've never been issued.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 17:14
for me an easy choice...  forget the numberous stinkers one is exposed here.. not everyone has great talent... however some did or once did and didn't know when to quit was they hit their expiration date... so we have the single greatest turd..  pile of sh*t.. pile of diarrhea ...  puddle of piss ever recorded by a once formerly great group...

AMLOR...  

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 18:19

Now, if you want to talk about a fall from grace, the final album Twelfth Night recorded before they initially called it a day, XII, was simply awful. They'd finally thrown in the proverbial towel and tried to go new wave/ro and turned out something dreadful. Avoid at all costs.

I can't bear to listen to any Twelfth Night after Geoff Mann left.  Andy Sears trying to replace Geoff was like...well...just don't.

-------------

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 18:39
*Puts on some solo Collins curls up on floor with thumb in mouth and starts gently rocking*

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 18:41
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Umma Gumma is my favorite Floyd album.

You and me both. There are times when Ian's lyrics and vocals are poignant and irresistible and there are times when they're a ponderous chore to listen to.

For me, worst album, I might choose IQ - Nomzamo, Ash Ra Tempel's debut, or Gentle Giant - Giant For a Day. I'm not sure which.

Love me some "Ummagumma" too, but I do like a lot of AvantProg and RIO, so there is that.

I also thought "Under Wraps" wasn't quite as bad that I would say it's one of the worst albums ever, it's not their best, but it has a few redeeming songs.

I mentioned "The Replacements" as having one of the worst albums in "The Big Bubble" but I still like about half of their albums.  But that album, being an Anti-Music album, is just plain awful, even when you know the concept.  It's funny for about 5 seconds, then it's just stupid.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 19:28
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I can't bear to listen to any Twelfth Night after Geoff Mann left.  Andy Sears trying to replace Geoff was like...well...just don't.

Same here.* I love Live At The Target (all-instrumental), Smiling At Grief, Fact And Fiction, and Live And Let Live, along with Geoff's songs on Collector's Item.

And that's all I need.

*"Art & Illusion" isn't a bad tune, because it IS a Geoff co-write.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 19:30

Haha interesting. Don't think I've ever checked them out - guess I have to now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2018 at 19:34

for me an easy choice...  forget the numberous stinkers one is exposed here.. not everyone has great talent... however some did or once did and didn't know when to quit was they hit their expiration date... so we have the single greatest turd..  pile of sh*t.. pile of diarrhea ...  puddle of piss ever recorded by a once formerly great group...

AMLOR...

It suffered from FM overplay, but AMLOR is not that bad an album. Dave saves it. "One Slip" and "Sorrow" are cool songs. 

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 06:34
jethro tull rock island

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 09:22

AMLOR...

It suffered from FM overplay, but AMLOR is not that bad an album. Dave saves it. "One Slip" and "Sorrow" are cool songs. 

bah... if that was but the only problem with it..

one of these days I will do the review of reviews topping my previously #1 collaborator ranked greatest PA's album review ever and giving that album the review it so justly earned....

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 10:32

I love Art & Illusion but always thought it was an Andy Sears song.  I never realized Geoff had anything to do with it until I got the Live and Let Live Extended double CD re-release.  There he was singing it live at the Marquee Thumbs Up  Maybe we should start a new thread called, "lead vocalists who were irreplaceable"...I'd put Geoff near the top of the list.  To be fair, how could Andy Sears, or anyone for that matter, ever compare to this:

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 11:18
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love Art & Illusion but always thought it was an Andy Sears song.  I never realized Geoff had anything to do with it until I got the Live and Let Live Extended double CD re-release.  There he was singing it live at the Marquee Thumbs Up  Maybe we should start a new thread called, "lead vocalists who were irreplaceable"...I'd put Geoff near the top of the list.  To be fair, how could Andy Sears, or anyone for that matter, ever compare to this:

Sears would have been a great frontman — for a different band. I guess TN were trying to branch out (they did land a deal, but then the subsidiary folded), but by the end everything Sears was writing was total crap. He couldn't dust Geoff's notebooks!

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 11:58
Most new prog. Technically efficient, but I just don't get it.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 13:04

LOL If only you knew how many crazy Journey fans there are out there who would say it's outrageous to "lump" their favorite band in with Asia, Survivor, Foreigner, etc.! (And I like the first few albums by Foreigner a lot.)

And they'd be right.   Journey was a great band.   Survivor, Foreigner, Asia, might as well throw in Loverboy, not nearly in the same league.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 13:21
^ yeah Journey was a great band before they went sicky sweet commercial. After that I put them in the same pile with Asia, Styx, Survivor, etc., etc. On the bottom.

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 14:27

And they'd be right.   Journey was a great band.   Survivor, Foreigner, Asia, might as well throw in Loverboy, not nearly in the same league.

Yes, "was." But they're not referring to albums like Journey and Look Into The Future. Most "Journeyfans" focus on the Perry era. And Journey had voluntarily begun the shift to AOR before Perry joined. The evidence is right there on Next, their third record.

As for Foreigner, have a listen to the very first album. Easily a few notches above those other bands you "lumped" them in with.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 15:30
There are many, "worst" is a tough word to use.
* A lot of Steve Hackett albums are just boring, especially the Wolf one...he should not sing.
* Magma, the Klingon's are coming thru my speakers....don't get it, gibberish garbage.
*Yes~Fly From Here, blah no color like walking into a white room.
* DT~ Astonishing, putrid!
* Marillion~Holidays In Eden, boring.
* VdGG~Grounding In Numbers, why even step in the studio?
* Gong~ I See You, stick a fork in them more than done!

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 18:51
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

jethro tull rock island

I think catfish rising is worse. So is keys to the kingdom by the Moody Blues. 

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 18:53

^ yeah Journey was a great band before they went sicky sweet commercial. After that I put them in the same pile with Asia, Styx, Survivor, etc., etc. On the bottom.

Ok, so in your opinion with which album did they stop being a great band?

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 19:31

jethro tull rock island

HUGE Moody Blues fan here. Keys of the Kingdom was when eve I finally stopped worrying about being a completist in my Moodies collection. And they didn't exactly redeem themselves with Strange Times.

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 19:34

jethro tull rock island

HUGE Moody Blues fan here. Keys of the Kingdom was when eve I finally stopped worrying about being a completist in my Moodies collection. And they didn't exactly redeem themselves with Strange Times.

Me too but even as fans we have the right not to love everything. I'm actually not hard to please but aside from maybe two or three decent songs KotK just sounded like drab adult contemporary to me. I actually liked Sur Le Mur(saw the tour too)so it's not like I have low tolerance for the post Pinder era. I haven't heard Strange Times yet though. 

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 19:50

jethro tull rock island

Me too but even as fans we have the right not to love everything. I'm actually not hard to please but aside from maybe two or three decent songs KotK just sounded like drab adult contemporary to me. I actually liked Sur Le Mur(saw the tour too)so it's not like I have low tolerance for the post Pinder era. I haven't heard Strange Times yet though. 

I don't decry the post-Pinder era either. I actually still put Long Distance Voyager right up there with the big seven. It was the great comeback Octave should have been. Even though it's now a horribly dated product of its time, I still like The Present as well.

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 19:52
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I actually had that exact same response to every Neil Young album.

Date Posted: November 04 2018 at 20:03
I'm listening to the Residents album The Big Bubble right now. LOL
I've never heard it before but it sure is hilarious for a first time listener!!!!
Most annoying album EVER? I could listen to this again on rare occasions but it sure ain't gonna go down in history as their best, THAT's for damn sure!!!
I'd take this over Tiffany, Mylie Cyrus, Justin Bieber or Barbara Streisand ANY day but i wouldn't want to hear it on perpetual replay for eternity either LOL

-------------

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 02:55
anything by Genesis.

If pushed I would say The Lamb snores away on Broadway is the worst I have ever heard.

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:00

I actually had that exact same response to every Neil Young album.
Then I suggest you stop trying them out in the first place. 

-------------

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 05:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agreed (and boy, do I love VDGG Cry)

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 09:31
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm listening to the Residents album The Big Bubble right now. LOL
I've never heard it before but it sure is hilarious for a first time listener!!!!
Most annoying album EVER? I could listen to this again on rare occasions but it sure ain't gonna go down in history as their best, THAT's for damn sure!!!
I'd take this over Tiffany, Mylie Cyrus, Justin Bieber or Barbara Streisand ANY day but i wouldn't want to hear it on perpetual replay for eternity either LOL

Yeah there are more annoying albums out there for sure.  And of course I would take anything from The Residents than any of those other non-artists that you mentioned above.  I do appreciate and love about half of The Residents albums and listen to even the ones I don't consider their best quite often.  But I won't even consider listening the garbage that you mentioned.  Hell, I would listen to "Vileness Fats" or "The Big Bubble" from The Residents over that pop drivel any day.  It's just hard to keep interest in it after many listenings.  And it's fun to make fun of it too (the bad Residents music, I mean.  Pop music just makes me angry Angry)

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2018 at 13:48

Yes, "was." But they're not referring to albums like Journey and Look Into The Future. Most "Journeyfans" focus on the Perry era. And Journey had voluntarily begun the shift to AOR before Perry joined. The evidence is right there on Next, their third record.

As for Foreigner, have a listen to the very first album. Easily a few notches above those other bands you "lumped" them in with.

I'm talking about Perry era.   The first few albums were fine for their time but Perry-era Journey offered hard pop-rock some quality songwriting, highly professional standards, and great musicianship (Neal Schon?  Are you kidding?  One of the best all-around rock guitarists in the business).  

Great songwriting band, both early or later periods.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 00:24
Sticking to bands I like 

Eloy - Ra (there are many 80's horrors in general and this is one of them!)
ELP - In the Hot Seat (ok an obvious one but its depressingly bad)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (horrible and unlistenable to me btw I actually like The Astonishing)
Triumvirat - Spartacus ( just a mess to me . I am really sorry Doug!  I do like the first 2 Rat albums though)
Tangerine Dream - Zeit (sorry again but I really hate very early TD)

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 01:58

not made to be listened to more than once, but it isn't bad... Of course Weld is much better.
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Worst album?
Prog - Rael - Mascaras Urbanas

just a clone album... hardly the worst in that clone-prog genre.

I never heard it but catfish rising was pretty bad. Just boring songs. Zzzzzzzzz. 

Boring doesn't mean bad... UW is offensive to the ears, though.

I'd say Close Your Ears from No... difficult to do worse after the two KTA and Keystudio.
Also Gilmour's worst solo AMLOR (it's not a Floyd album Wright & Mason almost don't play on it)

I think they meant the Rollie & Dunbar-less and Perry-added Journey
BTW, Next is not good (only three tracks are OK) and even LitF is relatively average... it's only down to the great debut album for me.

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

*Puts on some solo Collins curls up on floor with thumb in mouth and starts gently rocking*

Phil killed un-prog music too LOL

Agitation Free - 2nd

you're kidding for AF's 2nd, right??Confused It's their best of the three (and not just IMHO)

As for FGTR, it's only the shadow of they would become, but it's not half-bad as its reputation is.... Much inspired on early Family, early Traffic and early Bee Gees.

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 03:20
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Agitation Free - 2nd

you're kidding for AF's 2nd, right??Confused It's their best of the three (and not just IMHO)

As for FGTR, it's only the shadow of they would become, but it's not half-bad as its reputation is.... Much inspired on early Family, early Traffic and early Bee Gees.

For me, those are two of the most boring albums ever. True musical torture!

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 03:53

After the first three albums.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 03:53

After the first three albums. The end of jazzy/prog sound.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 04:25
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agreed (and boy, do I love VDGG Cry)

Disagreed Smile.

Jethro Tull - Warchild
Rush - Roll the Bones

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 04:39
Renaissance - Timeline. Horrible production, terrible songs, totally disinterested Annie, and then THAT cover.

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 04:43

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Agitation Free - 2nd

For me, those are two of the most boring albums ever. True musical torture!
Yeah I too thought 2nd was a weird album to consider "worst" - and like torture? To my ears it beautifully melodic only occasionally krauty jazzrock-fusion. One of my favorite "guitar-albums" actually.

-and yes I quite like FGtR as well, but I love the gentle late 60's psychpop of the Bee Gees, the Moodies etc...

-------------

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:13
I think some of the worst albums ever were created during the Euro-House-period and the Boyband/girlband period:

Spice Girls, Backstreetboys, 2 Unlimited, MC Hammer, Take That, Cheeky Girls.
Although a lot of people seemed to like it, so was it bad if it's not my taste?

This thread looks like some people just want to show how much they dislike certain bands.
How is Rock Island by Jethro Tull or Roll the Bones by Rush, the worst album?

The first post was started because of a particular album by The Residents, wich in fact is really awful.
And now people throw in Pink Floyd, Genesis, Phil Collins and Neil Young in that same category?

Wow, just wow....

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 05:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Renaissance - Timeline. Horrible production, terrible songs, totally disinterested Annie, and then THAT cover.
After the cover for Camera Camera I thought it was an improvement! LOL

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 07:17

I'm not sure that the album was actually listened to. Both AF albums are very good, and the sad thought of the year was when PFM took this very good singer for their lead, and then they forgot all the far out stuff they used to do vocally, by using one main vocalist. It killed AF, but their two albums are very satisfying.

IF, btw, all you can hear is a constipated PG, I will state that you did not hear the album or bother listening to it at all. In fact, you will find that they were on at the same time as GENESIS, and it would not qualify as a copy, or constipated.

Years active1971 – 1975

AND, there are many other singers that are "constipated" and not many folks have said anything or that anyone copied them ... Joe Cocker, Roger Chapman, and many others, who did not need PG to show them that theatrical vocals could be done in a much more interesting style than PG, who quit doing it after the best thing he ever wrote, because not enough fans kissed GENESIS for it! So many folks trashed it, it was not funny! And at the time, radio stations could not even figure out which song to use for a "hit", and was one of the reasons to trash the album!

BTW, I don't knopw why you would bother listening to something that you have been told is "bad/worst" ... you don't know how to define and make up your mind, do you? You need to be told?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 08:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I'm not sure that the album was actually listened to. Both AF albums are very good, and the sad thought of the year was when PFM took this very good singer for their lead, and then they forgot all the far out stuff they used to do vocally, by using one main vocalist. It killed AF, but their two albums are very satisfying.
Yes well I can't stand them and actually think he ruined PFM when he joined them. 

IF, btw, all you can hear is a constipated PG, I will state that you did not hear the album or bother listening to it at all. In fact, you will find that they were on at the same time as GENESIS, and it would not qualify as a copy, or constipated.
I don't care what you state - or that they operated at the same time. I never said they didn't. I didn't write he was a copycat but made a comparison/assosiation (and as you yourself mention Roger Chapman's similarly constipated vocals you've obviously understood what I meant by it). I listened more than enough and the vocals gets in the way of anything potentially attractive about them. Like so many vocalists do in different ways imo. 

AND, there are many other singers that are "constipated" and not many folks have said anything or that anyone copied them ... Joe Cocker, Roger Chapman, and many others,
Yeah - all kinda horrible. Next!

BTW, I don't knopw why you would bother listening to something that you have been told is "bad/worst" ... you don't know how to define and make up your mind, do you? You need to be told?
Jeez...nobody told me anything. I made my mind up all by myself. Now leave me alone.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:36

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

After the cover for Camera Camera I thought it was an improvement! LOL

They are both terrible covers but Timeline really rubs the change in your face. Plus at least Camera Camera had some interesting songs.

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Triumvirat - Spartacus ( just a mess to me . I am really sorry Doug!  I do like the first 2 Rat albums though)

Are you sure you don't mean Russian RouletteLOL

Even if you hate early TD, Zeit can't be the worst thing they ever did. For that, look at one of any number of albums they issued in the '90s! (I always talk about TD in the past tense now because, like Yes, there are no original members).

-------------

Posted By: flyingveepixie
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 15:25
 anything by Steven Wilson - I can't stand the fella...

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 17:27

Good call!

Now that's a five star masterpiece... tastes! Tongue

Date Posted: November 06 2018 at 20:28

Sticking to bands I like 

ELP - In the Hot Seat (ok an obvious one but its depressingly bad)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (horrible and unlistenable to me btw I actually like The Astonishing)
That's ok, Richard, no harm done; if we all felt the same way about music, it would be a pretty boring world...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk