Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the worst album you've heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the worst album you've heard
    Posted: November 02 2018 at 09:05
So, after reviewing one of the worst albums ever (The Residents "The Big Bubble" Thumbs Down), I was curious as to what are some of the worst albums you have heard?  Feel free to add as many as you want. 
If this thread has been done before, I apologize, but I don't think it will hurt to discuss this again. 
Since this is such a negative thread, go ahead and be funny to turn it all into something positive.  And if you see any in this forum that you think are undeserving of being anyone's worst album, feel free to enlighten us, but be polite. 
Sometimes, just knowing something that no one else knew can help bring about an appreciation of even the worst album.  (In The Big Bubble, even after explaining the reasoning behind this hilariously awful album, it didn't make it any better.)

Edit:  Let's keep the discussion about prog or prog related bands, otherwise this list would be endless.

Edited by TCat - November 02 2018 at 19:48

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 09:23
Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos 
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:03
I wouldn't say "worst album" on this one but I really didn't like Vapor Trails  (Rush) 
 I'm a big Rush fan , but that one just didn't work for me. 

P.S. 
I'm assuming we are going with prog or prog related albums & not something like the Go Go's 
 (or else we would be here all day!)

Edited by Argo2112 - November 02 2018 at 10:06
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

Camera Camera? Those is fighten' words!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:10
Yes - Heaven and Earth
Queensryche - Frequency Unknown
Asia - Astra
GTR - GTR
ELP - Love Beach
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

sorry Steve, but I tried really hard with 80s Renaissance, nothing remotely interesting for me. 
Earth & Fire are another band that went pop and became unlistenable for me. 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:18

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
80s Renaissance
DT - The Astonishing

I actually saw them on that tour. There was one song on the album I liked (Tyrant-Tula) 
Cool bass line , the rest , well lets just say it wasn't Scheherazade.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:26
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

well lets just say it wasn't Scheherazade.
Well, that's for damn sure! LOL
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 10:49
Arc - Neil Young. Played once - never again!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 11:35
Tull: Under Wraps. I never got past side 1.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:00
Tough question but I have to say I picked up an original vinyl copy of Jon Anderson's Song of Seven the other day (cheap price..)...mint condition and nice cover.....never heard it before . Perhaps one of the most boring things I have ever heard.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:31
Arc was the first CD I ever bought. I played it on repeat for nine hours. Then a few weeks later I did the same, but only for six hours.
Amazing album.

The worst prog album I ever heard was the first Asia album. Kansas a close second (can't remember which albums I attempted, but they were all dreary)

Edited by Stool Man - November 02 2018 at 12:35
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 12:59
Worst album?
Prog - Rael - Mascaras Urbanas
Non-prog - Cristofer Luca - Stopy i Werble
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:29
Worst prog?  I would have to say Steve Howe's first solo album "Beginnings," I find his voice impossible to tolerate.  

For Yes, it is a tie between "Big Generator" and "Heaven and Earth."  

I really try to find the value of all music, but some efforts are just impossible to tolerate.  Sorry if my selections offend anyone.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:47

Tull: Under Wraps. I never got past side 1.

I never heard it but catfish rising was pretty bad. Just boring songs. Zzzzzzzzz. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Worst prog?  I would have to say Steve Howe's first solo album "Beginnings," I find his voice impossible to tolerate.  

For Yes, it is a tie between "Big Generator" and "Heaven and Earth."  

I really try to find the value of all music, but some efforts are just impossible to tolerate.  Sorry if my selections offend anyone.

Not really offended but I kind of get tired of people throwing Big Generator under the bus. There's some great stuff on there especially I'm running, final eyes and holy lamb. Even Shoot High aim low is pretty decent. I admit the rest is hit or miss and often poppy but not bad.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 14:36
Had to dig deep into my brain cells to recall albums, or rather bands, over decades:

Aviator
Blodwyn Pig
Flower Kings
Air Supply Wink

Edited by Boojieboy - November 02 2018 at 14:37
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:11
The first one that springs to mind,,Lou Reed's Metal Music Machine.
Mind ,after reading a review,I knew what I was getting into.
Only managed to sample my way through some of it.
Horrendous.
Shake & bake.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:25
aren't we supposed to mention prog bands since this is in the prog music section?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 15:50

There are many albums that I listened to before deciding not to obtain that album because it didn't appeal to me enough. There are also albums that I obtained before hearing it for the first time. Perhaps I obtained them because I was familiar with other works by the artist, or perhaps they were regarded as masterpieces by reputable sources. Anyway, the following two albums are albums that I actually have:

Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

In the case of Philip Glass - Music With Changing Parts, I was so offended when I first listened to this that I thought that I had been ripped off by this album. However, I decided to listen to it again just before I wrote this post, and it didn't evoke the same feelings of hatred that it did the first time I listened to it. Therefore, I'm not sure if it really belongs here.

In the case of Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica, this is an album that I just can't get into regardless of how many times I listen to it. There are some tracks that do have some appeal, but overall the album just doesn't appeal to me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>