Topic: Heart of the Sunrise Vs Starship Trooper
Posted By: Argo2112
Subject: Heart of the Sunrise Vs Starship Trooper
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 11:08
 Two epic Yes songs to chose from.

Replies:
Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 11:54
Love them both but voting for Starship Trooper because Steve Howe's guitar solo is simply one of the best ever

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 12:16
^
Agree classic guitar solo.

Other than Roundabout - which was played incessantly on the radio at the time - have to go with the first song from Yes I ever really connected with the group - Starship Troopers.

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 12:53
Starship Trooper.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Fischman
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 13:37
I had to cast the tie vote. Both so perfect in their own way, I couldn't vote against either.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:10
HotS for me.  That middle section with the Bruford/Squire duet is unbeatable...and seeing them recreate that was by far the shining moment of the Union show back in '91 Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Mornar Popaj
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:11
Both are masterpieces, but Heart of the sunrise is better for me.

Posted By: ForestFriend
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:34
Comparing the studio versions, I'd pick Heart Of The Sunrise, but I really enjoy all the different things they would do live on Starship Trooper more than either studio version (or live versions of HotS, which are still good!), so ST gets my vote.

-------------
https://borealkinship.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My prog band - Boreal Kinship

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:49
A close call, but I vote for Heart of the Sunrise.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:52
Trooper......

btw...off topic but is anyone else having trouble posting...cursor doesn't show up ...have to reload the page several times.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:59
Starship Trooper.  It's one of their best songs of all time.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:26
hah....   

easy vote for the song if one is lucky.. you can catch at the local dive downtown while enjoying a Jack and coke and keeping your head on a shivel for a knife in back.. which is hard with boxum milfs shaking their tits and asses in time with Squire's furious basslines in search of some green... 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:47
I dig them both!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:51
Trooper easily. Sunrise just repeats itself

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 16:34
Two absolute Yes classics! I'll take Starship Trooper because it's just too good, but Heart of the Sunrise is really wonderful as well. 

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 16:51
Neither.  Paul Kantner's Starship suite (side 2 of Blows Against the Empire) puts both to shame, especially when a reconstituted Jefferson Starship played it in the mid '90s.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 19:07
Starship Trooper by a hair. I almost voted both equally but for some reason decided to go for ST. I guess it could have gone either way since both are easily in my Yes top ten. Also, it's worth mentioning that both songs are on the compilation album called "Classic Yes." 

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 19:46
Now this is a hard one. To choose between these two great songs is almost impossible. I was first inclined to vote for "both equally", but after thinking hard for a while, I decide to go for "Heart of the Sunrise", but only by a very, very small margin, and mainly for very personal reasons.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 21:05
I find Heart of the Sunrise good, but it can become a bit tedious. Starship trooper is great, so I go with it, even if the studio version sounds really tame and incomplete compared to later live versions. For some reason, I like the live version of Heart of the Sunrise by ABWH much better than the original one, I can't really point why, but it sounds less tedious and more powerful, so, whatever little thing they moved around just fixed it for me (however, other live versions with White on drums just doesn't work for me).

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 21:47
voted both equally---because Starship is a great prog song that takes you on a trip and of course Howes landmark guitar solo and Heart is so avant garde and cool and unique---with that jazzy middle section---so hard to choose one---

(^^also Dellinger been listening to a lot of live ABWH recently --I read Howe interview in Prog Mag and he describes ABWH as a "hot little band"---and it was --with so much future potential too bad Anderson and record companies messed it all up.)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 12 2018 at 23:46
HOTS for me 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 00:07
I was also going to vote 'both' - but playing them last night a couple of times back-to-back, I realised that Stsrship Trooper tends to give me slightly more goosebumps (when heard live in concert) than Heart of the Sunrise - even though the latter is a more mature and intricate work.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 04:50
Heart of the Sunrise. Easy choice for me but of course Starship Trooper is great song. 

Now, had it been Yours Is No Disgrace Vs HotS, much tougher to pick

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 05:30
Starship Trooper mainly due to live version(s)... It's last section on concerts is absolutely marvellous.

-------------

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 06:19
Starship Trooper... That damn bruford fills... just legendary

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 07:14
Heart Of The Sunrise is my favorite song of all time...

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 07:15
I went with Starship Trooper, However Heart is defiantly my favorite track on Fragile.
( wow, It's tied at 18 each right now. ) 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 09:57
Starship Trooper is great and Heart of the Sunrise is not for me.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 11:58
Sharp  Distance

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 12:19
Starship Trooper

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 17:09
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Neither.  Paul Kantner's Starship suite (side 2 of Blows Against the Empire) puts both to shame, especially when a reconstituted Jefferson Starship played it in the mid '90s.
Paul Kantner's Starship is one of the all time underrated albums, ever.  But, that said (and I'll paraphrase from what someone else has already posted)  "Starship Trooper" is just TOO good.  For me the only Yes that is better is probably CTTE.

Posted By: CristauxFeur
Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 19:08
Love them both but i prefer heart of the sunrise because I love the introduction

-------------
Dragged down by the stone

Date Posted: November 13 2018 at 21:59
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

voted both equally---because Starship is a great prog song that takes you on a trip and of course Howes landmark guitar solo and Heart is so avant garde and cool and unique---with that jazzy middle section---so hard to choose one---

(^^also Dellinger been listening to a lot of live ABWH recently --I read Howe interview in Prog Mag and he describes ABWH as a "hot little band"---and it was --with so much future potential too bad Anderson and record companies messed it all up.)

I do love some ABWH songs, too bad the ones on Union are suposedly mostly played by session musicians. I wish they would recover, polish, and release the original recordings with the real Yes (or ABWH) people playing their parts (if such a thing exists)... perhaps for a reissue of the album as bonus tracks?

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 01:24
HOTS

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 03:13
Heart of The Sunrise.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 03:16
Both are great songs !

Posted By: GrafHaarschnitt
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 07:46
Drumming, Best acoustic break ever.... challenged only by the one in the Remembering.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:07
Tied again! I just can't choose!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 15 2018 at 11:50
I have always thought HotS was repetitive even if a great tune. ST doesn't have that problem. Hence...

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 15 2018 at 14:43
Sunrise is a broken record

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: November 15 2018 at 20:35
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I have always thought HotS was repetitive even if a great tune. ST doesn't have that problem. Hence...

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's the main problem I find with HotS too.

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: November 15 2018 at 22:04
Both are great tunes. For me, Heart of the Sunrise is a level above virtually all other music, one of the most musical compositions, truly inspired and unique. I don't find it repetitive. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:23
Interesting people are finding HoTS repetitive; never thought about it, yet strangely felt ST wasn't as interesting a song.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 05:21
HotS is a bit of a mess. ST is solid. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 16 2018 at 09:59
I like mess so HotS it is

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 00:20
I think if I ever was to get rid of my Yes collection, and had to keep only 1 album of theirs , I’d have a very difficult decision to choose between Fragile and Drama........

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 07:40
^ easy choice there for me it would be Tales.  The very definition of a deserted island classic...  you can listen to it for years and still find little discoveries within it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I think if I ever was to get rid of my Yes collection, and had to keep only 1 album of theirs , I’d have a very difficult decision to choose between Fragile and Drama........

Both great albums certainly.

For me it would be between Close to the Edge and Relayer, and I think Relayer might be the one that comes with me.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 17 2018 at 08:57
^ ^^ ......yeah, well, any album from Fragile through to Relayer and Drama. Definitive Yes.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 26 2019 at 00:16
Really close call voted for Heart Of The Sunrise  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 26 2019 at 03:25
Love em both, but I'll vote Starship Trooper.

As for HOTSR, I prefer the live version at 11:44 from this concert, to the original..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLU5Qa4298" rel="nofollow - Yes live at Wembley 1978

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: April 26 2019 at 20:59
^ My favourite version of Heart of the Sunrise is the one by ABWH on An Evening of Yes Music.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 26 2019 at 23:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ easy choice there for me it would be Tales.  The very definition of a deserted island classic...  you can listen to it for years and still find little discoveries within it.

Yep. I think there's even one section where if you listen carefully you can hear Jon Anderson peeing in a toilet. At least I think it's a toilet. Smile

Posted By: tailings
Date Posted: April 27 2019 at 11:19
"Starship Trooper"

'You can not vote in this poll'
I have looked up and down, top to bottom and through every FAQ and guide I can find on the site and yet I can not find an explanation for this message.  I'm assuming it is related to post count??

Date Posted: April 27 2019 at 21:11
^ Yeah, keep posting until you get one more star, and then you can vote.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:53
^^ It's in this FAQ under "Forum": http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13080" rel="nofollow - CLICK

"Why can't I create polls or vote in existing ones?

Poll creation and voting is only available to forum members with higher ranks than Newbie. Once you've posted 40 messages on the forum, you'll be able to vote in prog polls. This was introduced on the forums to avoid people creating fake accounts to mess with the polls."

You need 40 points, so yeah, just keep posting. Personally, I'm more interested in reading what people have to "say" than in looking at poll results.

As for me, "Heart of the Sunrise" has greater highs for me, but also some fiddly bits that I'd rather wish it went without. "Starship Trooper" is more consistent, but I find it rather less interesting on the whole. I used to find "Heart of the Sunrise" would reach sublime levels. I had to think about it a a bit, but HotS for me as it is more emotionally resonant. That said, I'm not very big on Yes. It's band that I loved as a teenager, but since then doesn't do that much for me. Fragile was one of my first Prog loves -- these days I might be more likely to play The Yes Album and am most likely to play Time and a Word by Yes.

Not long ago ago I started up a conversation with someone in a Yes tee-shirt (he's a young cellist trying out for the Symphony Orchestra).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: tailings
Date Posted: April 28 2019 at 13:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ It's in this FAQ under "Forum": http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13080" rel="nofollow - CLICK

Poll creation and voting is only available to forum members with higher ranks than Newbie. Once you've posted 40 messages on the forum, you'll be able to vote in prog polls. This was introduced on the forums to avoid people creating fake accounts to mess with the polls."

Y

Thanks for that.  That instruction is worded distinctly differently than http://www.progarchives.com/forum/help.asp" rel="nofollow - here , which makes no mention of voting, only poll creation.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 28 2019 at 14:19
Originally posted by tailings tailings wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Y

Thanks for that.  That instruction is worded distinctly differently than http://www.progarchives.com/forum/help.asp" rel="nofollow - here , which makes no mention of voting, only poll creation.

That's just the standard Web Wiz forum spiel (they provide the forum software), and is not this site specific and was not written by people from this site. This forum has been customised somewhat by changing various settings. The http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=78" rel="nofollow - Site rules and guidelines forum is where much about forum use is mentioned as written by Prog Archives "staff".

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 29 2019 at 17:53
As I have already written, 

I consider Heart of the Sunrise (maybe) the bigger peak ever reached by Yes. 

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk