47 [49.47%]
32 [33.68%]
13 [13.68%]
3 [3.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heart of the Sunrise Vs Starship Trooper
    Posted: November 12 2018 at 11:08
 Two epic Yes songs to chose from.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 11:54
Love them both but voting for Starship Trooper because Steve Howe's guitar solo is simply one of the best ever
Songs cast a light on you
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 12:16
^
Agree classic guitar solo.

Other than Roundabout - which was played incessantly on the radio at the time - have to go with the first song from Yes I ever really connected with the group - Starship Troopers.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 12:53
Starship Trooper.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 13:37
I had to cast the tie vote. Both so perfect in their own way, I couldn't vote against either.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:10
HotS for me.  That middle section with the Bruford/Squire duet is unbeatable...and seeing them recreate that was by far the shining moment of the Union show back in '91 Wink
Mornar Popaj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mornar Popaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:11
Both are masterpieces, but Heart of the sunrise is better for me.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:34
Comparing the studio versions, I'd pick Heart Of The Sunrise, but I really enjoy all the different things they would do live on Starship Trooper more than either studio version (or live versions of HotS, which are still good!), so ST gets my vote.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:49
A close call, but I vote for Heart of the Sunrise.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:52
Trooper......

btw...off topic but is anyone else having trouble posting...cursor doesn't show up ...have to reload the page several times.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 14:59
Starship Trooper.  It's one of their best songs of all time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:26
hah....   

easy vote for the song if one is lucky.. you can catch at the local dive downtown while enjoying a Jack and coke and keeping your head on a shivel for a knife in back.. which is hard with boxum milfs shaking their tits and asses in time with Squire's furious basslines in search of some green... 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:47
I dig them both!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 15:51
Trooper easily. Sunrise just repeats itself
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 16:34
Two absolute Yes classics! I'll take Starship Trooper because it's just too good, but Heart of the Sunrise is really wonderful as well. 
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 16:51
Neither.  Paul Kantner's Starship suite (side 2 of Blows Against the Empire) puts both to shame, especially when a reconstituted Jefferson Starship played it in the mid '90s.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 19:07
Starship Trooper by a hair. I almost voted both equally but for some reason decided to go for ST. I guess it could have gone either way since both are easily in my Yes top ten. Also, it's worth mentioning that both songs are on the compilation album called "Classic Yes." 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 19:46
Now this is a hard one. To choose between these two great songs is almost impossible. I was first inclined to vote for "both equally", but after thinking hard for a while, I decide to go for "Heart of the Sunrise", but only by a very, very small margin, and mainly for very personal reasons.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 21:05
I find Heart of the Sunrise good, but it can become a bit tedious. Starship trooper is great, so I go with it, even if the studio version sounds really tame and incomplete compared to later live versions. For some reason, I like the live version of Heart of the Sunrise by ABWH much better than the original one, I can't really point why, but it sounds less tedious and more powerful, so, whatever little thing they moved around just fixed it for me (however, other live versions with White on drums just doesn't work for me).
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 21:47
voted both equally---because Starship is a great prog song that takes you on a trip and of course Howes landmark guitar solo and Heart is so avant garde and cool and unique---with that jazzy middle section---so hard to choose one---

(^^also Dellinger been listening to a lot of live ABWH recently --I read Howe interview in Prog Mag and he describes ABWH as a "hot little band"---and it was --with so much future potential too bad Anderson and record companies messed it all up.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>