Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119886
Printed Date: May 22 2024 at 08:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes vs King Crimson
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Subject: Yes vs King Crimson
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 02:09
All these new vs polls lately, figured I'd get on it!

Go!!!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Replies:
Posted By: thief
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 02:23
I don't want to spoil the fun but it's been done a couple of times.
When it comes to my answer, I guess it's "Both". Great bands but for different reasons. On a moody, gloomy day, KC takes the cake. But when the Sun is high and I want to celebrate, Yes is more fitting.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 02:26
Yes by far

Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 02:36
Of course it's been done, probably dozens of times lol.

I picked YES.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 03:57
Too lazy to formulate something on my own so
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

On a moody, gloomy day, KC takes the cake. But when the Sun is high and I want to celebrate, Yes is more fitting.
On a moody, gloomy day, KC takes the cake. But when the Sun is high and I want to celebrate, KC is more fitting still.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:03
Yes

need a special mood for KC. Oh well...

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:17
Yes for the simple fact that there are more songs that I like and they are far more listenable. I do like a lot of KC though. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 04:22
Tough choice, but I'll go for KC. I tend to listen to them more than Yes these days.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 05:12
YES !!!

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 05:22
King Crimson...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 06:17
Love Yes, but Crimson was an easy choice...they remained consistently awesome for a lot longer

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 07:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yes

need a special mood for KC. Oh well...

Same for me.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 07:48
I like KC but voted Yes by a good margin.  

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 07:58
Yes sir ! 

Posted By: Braka
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:10
Yes, but to be fair any prog band  would have come second to Yes at their peak AFFAIC.

Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:13
Totally thought this board would default to KC real fast; I'm impressed!

-------------

Posted By: Whamdaddy
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:17
super hard to pick, since Yes is my intro to prog back in the day, and KC is my new fave prog band, as I am clamoring to listen to every live release they have put out, but will have to say Yes just for old times sake

-------------
The Wham Daddy

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 09:44
KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 10:34
King Crimson for sure, though Yes, specially their classic period, is not far behind.

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 10:43
King Crimson just barely over Yes.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by Whamdaddy Whamdaddy wrote:

super hard to pick, since Yes is my intro to prog back in the day, and KC is my new fave prog band, as I am clamoring to listen to every live release they have put out, but will have to say Yes just for old times sake

If it was for old times sake, then it would be Yes for me, but I pretty much lost interest in Yes many years ago. I sometimes return to the pre-Close to the Edge albums (I do like the title-track off CLose to the Edge but that album never clicked for me). Fragile is the one that really got me into Yes, and played an important part in my Prog journey. That was my favourite album for quite some time when I was in high school. I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog, and I liked it a lot. I especially like Lizard, Larks' Tongues Aspic, and Islands these days, but I have enjoyed all of KC's classic albums (pre-Discipline) very much, and I like 80s Crimson more than 80s Yes.

This is a no-brainer for me, King Crimson rules here. While there are various exceptions, I'm not generally that big on acts included in the Symphonic Prog category (various classic French ones in Symph tend to me my favourites and for modern ones I have enjoyed Kotebel, which is reminiscent of KC to me, Deluge Grander and Karda Estra).

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:34
Indubitably both.

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:37
Both. Naturally!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 14:14
Crimson easily

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 15:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Of course it's been done, probably dozens of times lol.

I picked YES.

You are so... frenetic in adding polls!!! Wink

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 16:59
Yes.  But if you check back tomorrow it might be King Crimson.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:52
Neither are favourites though I like both, but I prefer KC

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:57
In the court of the topographic lizard relayer king who stood too close to the edge of poseidon while going for his red fragile island. Ok, that made no sense. :P 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:58
Hi,

I was thinking that KC probably deserves this better, since they have been very good and great right from the start. I can not find a single album by KC that is not satisfying in a whole lot of ways, as opposed to YES, that for me, dropped the ball after RELAYER.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Crimson easily

Come on. We both know you draw little yes logos on the back of your car's window when it gets foggy. Wink

Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:00
Hey, why don't we all split the difference and say the band Bruford. :P 

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:12
Love both, but Yes is better.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 21:02
Yes over any other band (except Pink Floyd).

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 10 2019 at 21:38
Yes simply has more great albums than KC has.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 09:41
Not fair!!! (But I had to vote YES.)

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 10:16
Yes is an easy choice.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 22:05
King Crimson

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: April 11 2019 at 22:09
Both equally for me and if you included Pink Floyd and Genesis into the discussion, all four equally.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 15:18
Both. It's like having to choose between Pa and Ma.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 16:04
I remember some time ago someone organised battle of bands polls, which were quite thrilling. Many hundreds voted. I think King Crimson, Yes and Genesis made it to the finals. King Crimson won by a hair... LOL

Voted King Crimson.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 22:06
If this was a classic rock poll Yes would probably win only because most classic rock fans haven't even heard of King Crimson. Tongue

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 13 2019 at 23:56
Its to close to call so BOTH!!!!

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:19
Soooo Clooose!  Live KC - Studio Yes

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 10:13
Both! Hard to pick right now as both are two of my favorite bands! Tongue

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 11:52
It's a Yes vote for me. I only like King Crimson's first two albums, but I like every album Yes has ever done.

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 18:29
Yes this was an easy choice for me.

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate

I can't believe that someone on here would actually hate on this.. HORRIBLE band. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 19:41
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate

I can't believe that someone on here would actually hate on this.. HORRIBLE band. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I could interpret your post in various ways, do you find all of King Crimson music horrible or does the "horrible" refer to the poster's thoughts I was referring to, as he has called it horrible, or maybe it was horrid and dreadful?

You lost some context with your snipping. I would at least use ellipses to indicate when snipping because not everyone reads through the whole thread (that's a reason why I tend to quote in full, wouldn't want to risk losing any context. Sometimes I have done so, mostly, for humorous purposes).

This would be the full relevant part of my longer post:

...By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

I mean, that has Jon Anderson in it and is very Yes reminiscent to me.

For that matter for those who like the debut and hate everything else, the second album is quite similar to the debut. I think the band has been truly eclectic, and one could enjoy, say this:

And hate this:

And one could hate both. My point, I think, was that I would have thought that certain Yes fans could have found more to enjoy other than just In the Court... Heck, even if it's just parts of "Prince Rupert Awakes".

I remember you were concerned about the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referencing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

...I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

Kind of surprised that isn't the bit that got attention.

That was truly horrible, he shot his girlfriend in the face blinding and disfiguring her, then went to the park and killed himself. I was chatting with him online the day before as I recall, and we were good online friends in fact I'd tried to give him advice as he was going through a rough time. I discovered King Crimson through him, so maybe KC can exert some evil influence, or appeal to the deranged, or maybe I played a part even though I tried to help and was concerned. I don't really think so re KC. I think his love of The Punisher was more concerning, and while I can enjoy KC despite the association, I won't ever watch The Punisher (that was his big obsession).

If you're just referencing H, sorry for getting heavy. Really wasn't sure how to interpret your post.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 19:53

Hercules have returned?!?

I knew he would!

-------------

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:12

I could interpret your post in various ways, do you find all of King Crimson music horrible or does the "horrible" refer to the poster's thoughts I was referring to, as he has called it horrible, or maybe it was horrid and dreadful?

You lost some context with your snipping. I would at least use ellipses to indicate when snipping because not everyone reads through the whole thread (that's a reason why I tend to quote in full, wouldn't want to risk losing any context. Sometimes I have done so, mostly, for humorous purposes).

...By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

For that matter for those who like the debut and hate everything else, the second album is quite similar to the debut. I think the band has been truly eclectic, and one could enjoy, say this:

And hate this:

And one could hate both. My point, I think, was that I would have thought that certain Yes fans could have found more to enjoy other than just In the Court... Heck, even if it's just parts of "Prince Rupert Awakes".

I remember you didn't like the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referncing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

That was truly horrible, he shot his girlfriend in the face blinding and disfiguring her, then went to the park and killed himself. I was chatting with him online the day before as I recall, and we were good online friends in fact I'd tried to give him advice as he was going through a rough time. I discovered King Crimson through him, so maybe KC can exert some evil influence, or appeal to the deranged, or maybe I played a part even though I tried to help and was concerned. I don't really think so re KC. I think his love of The Punisher was more concerning, and while I can enjoy KC despite the association, I won't ever watch The Punisher (that was his big obsession).

If you're just referencing H, sorry for getting heavy. Really wasn't sure how to interpret your post.

I'm sorry to hear that man. That sucks. And you're right, I should have used your whole quote, and then just bolded that part maybe. I was mostly just being my, too often, silly self. I obviously love Yes, they and Genesis were the two that originally got me into prog in the 80's(and ELP too at the time through Asia). And I don't like KC(at all, nothing about them). Although Robert Fripp seems to be an alright guy, I read that he's a vegetarian. So that cool. Anyway, sorry for the mixup. You know you're alright with me, I just am a generally silly person.

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Hercules have returned?!?

I knew he would!

Nope, this is the only username I've ever had on here. Good to hear there's another one like me though.

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:41

And hate this:

I remember you didn't like the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referncing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

I'm sorry to hear that man. That sucks. And you're right, I should have used your whole quote, and then just bolded that part maybe. I was mostly just being my, too often, silly self. I obviously love Yes, they and Genesis were the two that originally got me into prog in the 80's(and ELP too at the time through Asia). And I don't like KC(at all, nothing about them). Although Robert Fripp seems to be an alright guy, I read that he's a vegetarian. So that cool. Anyway, sorry for the mixup. You know you're alright with me, I just am a generally silly person.

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it (sometimes they misinterpret my intent and get angry, I've even been threatened over the use of a pun -- some Tool fans have no sense of humour). Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

Hercules has been our number one King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator hater here. He used to hate Gentle Giant, but grew to like it, so I figure there was always hope. We share plenty of music we do like in common (from Camel to Cardiacs), which doesn't leave a heck of lot alphabetically in between, come to think of it. We have rather different philosophies when it comes to art appreciation though, and I don't like to make subjective claims in an objective manner, but maybe that's me being pedantic and that led to some disagreements.

Apparently, it seemed to be claimed, the avant-garde crowd pushed out the more mainstream proggers, but I don't remember a time when bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Camel, Jethro Tull etc. were not being discussed, and it was all Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Shub-Nigguarth, Igor Wakhevitch and The Residents etc. discussion.

By the way, guess I mentioned, at least in part, earlier in the thread, but I used to love Yes. I got to know them in the 80s. I started with Fragile and loved it. These days I like The Yes Album and Time and a Word the most. When I started getting back into Prog, classic symph was my favourite, but my tastes moved more towards the avant-garde. Being rather odd myself, I've always been drawn to the strange, and with familiarity it ceases to be strange. Nowadays I mostly listen to folk music, classical, electronic and jazz, and don't have much rock music of any kind in my diet, but I go through phases. What I'm into most right now, I might not be into in six months. My tastes expand and flow in different directions (often one thing leads to another, then I'm surprised by something different, and my interest goes there). Most of what I liked when I was a teen I'm not really into anymore, and listening to such stuff is more for nostalgia. I try not to discount any music as I never know where I will be sometime later in my journey. I would hope my tastes never stagnate or become too set-in-stone (I try to keep an open mind and open ears). I don't think I'll ever be big on Crunk or Emo-Noisecore, but hardly anyone is I would think. That said, someone here might post a video which I check out, and it totally changes my mind (always up to hearing new-to-me stuff, and challenging myself).

-------------

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 21:18

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it. Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

Hercules has been our number one King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator hater here. He used to hate Gentle Giant, but grew to like it, so I figure there was always hope. We share plenty of music we do like in common (from Camel to Cardiacs), which doesn't leave a heck of lot alphabetically in between, come to think of it. We have rather different philosophies when it comes to art appreciation though, and I don't like to make subjective claims in an objective manner, but maybe that's me being pedantic and that led to some disagreements.

Apparently, it seemed to be claimed, the avant-garde crowd pushed out the more mainstream proggers, but I don't remember a time when bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Camel, Jethro Tull etc. were not being discussed, and it was all Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Shub-Nigguarth, Igor Wakhevitch and The Residents etc. discussion.

By the way, guess I mentioned, at least in part, earlier in the thread, but I used to love Yes. I got to know them in the 80s. I started with Fragile and loved it. These days I like The Yes Album and Time and a Word the most. When I started getting back into Prog, classic symph was my favourite, but my tastes moved more towards the avant-garde. Being rather odd myself, I've always been drawn to the strange, and with familiarity it ceases to be strange. Nowadays I mostly listen to folk music, classical, electronic and jazz, and don't have much rock music of any kind in my diet, but I go through phases. What I'm into most right now, I might not be into in six months. My tastes expand and flow in different directions (often one thing leads to another, then I'm surprised by something different, and my interest goes there). Most of what I liked when I was a teen I'm not really into anymore, and listening to such stuff is more for nostalgia. I try not to discount any music as I never know where I will be sometime later in my journey. I would hope my tastes never stagnate or become too set-in-stone (I try to keep an open mind and open ears). I don't think I'll ever be big on Crunk or Emo-Noisecore, but hardly anyone is I would think. That said, someone here might post a video which I check out, and it totally changes my mind (always up to hearing new-to-me stuff, and challenging myself).

I'm starting to really like VdGG. My favorite album of theirs is The Least We Can Do..

You don't really strike me as silly, you seem more like intellectual and just 'with it'(for lack of a better phrase). Yeah, those are certainly two of their better albums imo(The Yes Album and Time and a Word). Close to the Edge(the album as a whole) can get too repetitive I think. I've tried to get into that stuff like Henry Cow, Art Zoyd.. but it just sounded too weird(almost like it wasn't even musical). Maybe I should try again though at some point. I've been listening to a whole lot of classical music lately. Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi.. Beethoven I'm finding hard to get into other than his 5th. And I don't love the piano stuff, I'm all about Cellos and Violins. It just sounds good to me. 

Date Posted: October 02 2019 at 22:50

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it. Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

I'm starting to really like VdGG. My favorite album of theirs is The Least We Can Do..

You don't really strike me as silly, you seem more like intellectual and just 'with it'(for lack of a better phrase). Yeah, those are certainly two of their better albums imo(The Yes Album and Time and a Word). Close to the Edge(the album as a whole) can get too repetitive I think. I've tried to get into that stuff like Henry Cow, Art Zoyd.. but it just sounded too weird(almost like it wasn't even musical). Maybe I should try again though at some point. I've been listening to a whole lot of classical music lately. Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi.. Beethoven I'm finding hard to get into other than his 5th. And I don't love the piano stuff, I'm all about Cellos and Violins. It just sounds good to me. 

^ Thanks. That's my favourite too. I enjoy nothing more than making silly jokes. I especially liked to write silly stories. I stop myself most of the time from cracking jokes here. A lot of the time my jokes are interspersed amongst serious posts, and a very good friend at a past forum told me, never let them know when you're joking as it spoils the joke, so I think I sometimes bury them too much -- I often ramble so much anyway, that I bet it seems just a jumble of words much of the time -- I respect those people who have substance while being much more succinct than I usually manage.

Even I can't always get into stuff like Henry Cow. I used to love it, but it's tough going for me now unless I'mm in just the right mood, and that depends on the album. I let my mood choose my music most of the time. My tastes are less experimental than they used to be. At one time it seems I couldn't enjoy music unless it was really out-there (like weird equalled this is great!) Art Zoyd I always seem to love for some reason, well, not all Art Zoyd, a lot of it would be tough for me now. Close to the Edge never totally worked for me,rather too repetitive as you say, but there is music I love off it. Lots of Yes music I really enjoy.

I love Mozart, Back, Vivaldi and Beethoven. I grew up with that music as my dad only wanted classical music played in the house, and I did love it. With Beethoven, my dad's favourite was the 5th, mine is the 9th overall, and I love the second movement of Beethoven's 7th . I got into the 7th thanks to an odd and rather disturbing Sean Connery film called Zardoz -- for those who have seem my Connery in a red diaper avatar, that's the one. A favourite of mine is Myaskovsky's Cello concerto, sad and beautiful, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 (so romantic). Albioni's Adago, and Tallis (choral) are some others i love And I still love old favourites such as Holst's The Planets and Orff's Karmina Burana.

I like a lot of sad music, which as a depressive, maybe I shouldn't be wallowing in. Anyway, sorry went on a bit and got very self-indulgent.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 03 2019 at 00:18
Yes although I do enjoy Crimson as well and Red is well up there.   

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 03 2019 at 16:54
Yes. Far more consistent with quality albums in the 70s.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: October 03 2019 at 22:06

^ Thanks. That's my favourite too. I enjoy nothing more than making silly jokes. I especially liked to write silly stories. I stop myself most of the time from cracking jokes here. A lot of the time my jokes are interspersed amongst serious posts, and a very good friend at a past forum told me, never let them know when you're joking as it spoils the joke, so I think I sometimes bury them too much -- I often ramble so much anyway, that I bet it seems just a jumble of words much of the time -- I respect those people who have substance while being much more succinct than I usually manage.

Even I can't always get into stuff like Henry Cow. I used to love it, but it's tough going for me now unless I'mm in just the right mood, and that depends on the album. I let my mood choose my music most of the time. My tastes are less experimental than they used to be. At one time it seems I couldn't enjoy music unless it was really out-there (like weird equalled this is great!) Art Zoyd I always seem to love for some reason, well, not all Art Zoyd, a lot of it would be tough for me now. Close to the Edge never totally worked for me,rather too repetitive as you say, but there is music I love off it. Lots of Yes music I really enjoy.

I love Mozart, Back, Vivaldi and Beethoven. I grew up with that music as my dad only wanted classical music played in the house, and I did love it. With Beethoven, my dad's favourite was the 5th, mine is the 9th overall, and I love the second movement of Beethoven's 7th . I got into the 7th thanks to an odd and rather disturbing Sean Connery film called Zardoz -- for those who have seem my Connery in a red diaper avatar, that's the one. A favourite of mine is Myaskovsky's Cello concerto, sad and beautiful, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 (so romantic). Albioni's Adago, and Tallis (choral) are some others i love And I still love old favourites such as Holst's The Planets and Orff's Karmina Burana.

I like a lot of sad music, which as a depressive, maybe I shouldn't be wallowing in. Anyway, sorry went on a bit and got very self-indulgent.

Sorry, reading over that last post of mine it didn't come out the way I intended. Anyway thank you for the suggestions and ramble on as much as you want as far as I'm concerned.

Posted By: m0usey
Date Posted: October 03 2019 at 22:40
YES for me.
Bought that first album with the dodgy logo back in the early 70s. Still one of my favourites.
Saw them at the Empire Pool, Wembley in 1977.  My first "proper" gig.  I get goose bumps even now thinking about it!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 04 2019 at 10:31
KC.....but as someone said the classic Yes period is hard to beat.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Crimson easily

This but in reverse, Yes easily. 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:08
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

All these new vs polls lately, figured I'd get on it!

Go!!!

...And this was five months before I joined ProgArchives. I have a lot of polls to catch up on. Smile

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: October 11 2019 at 22:04
I voted both, this is one poll where it did feel awkward choosing one over the other so I went with both 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk