11 [14.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes vs King Crimson
    Posted: October 11 2019 at 22:04
I voted both, this is one poll where it did feel awkward choosing one over the other so I went with both 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:08
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

All these new vs polls lately, figured I'd get on it!

Go!!!

...And this was five months before I joined ProgArchives. I have a lot of polls to catch up on. Smile
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 14:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Crimson easily

This but in reverse, Yes easily. 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 10:31
KC.....but as someone said the classic Yes period is hard to beat.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
m0usey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0usey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 22:40
YES for me.
Bought that first album with the dodgy logo back in the early 70s. Still one of my favourites.
Saw them at the Empire Pool, Wembley in 1977.  My first "proper" gig.  I get goose bumps even now thinking about it!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 22:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Thanks. That's my favourite too. I enjoy nothing more than making silly jokes. I especially liked to write silly stories. I stop myself most of the time from cracking jokes here. A lot of the time my jokes are interspersed amongst serious posts, and a very good friend at a past forum told me, never let them know when you're joking as it spoils the joke, so I think I sometimes bury them too much -- I often ramble so much anyway, that I bet it seems just a jumble of words much of the time -- I respect those people who have substance while being much more succinct than I usually manage.

Even I can't always get into stuff like Henry Cow. I used to love it, but it's tough going for me now unless I'mm in just the right mood, and that depends on the album. I let my mood choose my music most of the time. My tastes are less experimental than they used to be. At one time it seems I couldn't enjoy music unless it was really out-there (like weird equalled this is great!) Art Zoyd I always seem to love for some reason, well, not all Art Zoyd, a lot of it would be tough for me now. Close to the Edge never totally worked for me,rather too repetitive as you say, but there is music I love off it. Lots of Yes music I really enjoy.

I love Mozart, Back, Vivaldi and Beethoven. I grew up with that music as my dad only wanted classical music played in the house, and I did love it. With Beethoven, my dad's favourite was the 5th, mine is the 9th overall, and I love the second movement of Beethoven's 7th . I got into the 7th thanks to an odd and rather disturbing Sean Connery film called Zardoz -- for those who have seem my Connery in a red diaper avatar, that's the one. A favourite of mine is Myaskovsky's Cello concerto, sad and beautiful, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 (so romantic). Albioni's Adago, and Tallis (choral) are some others i love And I still love old favourites such as Holst's The Planets and Orff's Karmina Burana.

I like a lot of sad music, which as a depressive, maybe I shouldn't be wallowing in. Anyway, sorry went on a bit and got very self-indulgent.

Sorry, reading over that last post of mine it didn't come out the way I intended. Anyway thank you for the suggestions and ramble on as much as you want as far as I'm concerned.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 16:54
Yes. Far more consistent with quality albums in the 70s.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 00:18
Yes although I do enjoy Crimson as well and Red is well up there.   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 22:50
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it. Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

Hercules has been our number one King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator hater here. He used to hate Gentle Giant, but grew to like it, so I figure there was always hope. We share plenty of music we do like in common (from Camel to Cardiacs), which doesn't leave a heck of lot alphabetically in between, come to think of it. We have rather different philosophies when it comes to art appreciation though, and I don't like to make subjective claims in an objective manner, but maybe that's me being pedantic and that led to some disagreements.

Apparently, it seemed to be claimed, the avant-garde crowd pushed out the more mainstream proggers, but I don't remember a time when bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Camel, Jethro Tull etc. were not being discussed, and it was all Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Shub-Nigguarth, Igor Wakhevitch and The Residents etc. discussion.

By the way, guess I mentioned, at least in part, earlier in the thread, but I used to love Yes. I got to know them in the 80s. I started with Fragile and loved it. These days I like The Yes Album and Time and a Word the most. When I started getting back into Prog, classic symph was my favourite, but my tastes moved more towards the avant-garde. Being rather odd myself, I've always been drawn to the strange, and with familiarity it ceases to be strange. Nowadays I mostly listen to folk music, classical, electronic and jazz, and don't have much rock music of any kind in my diet, but I go through phases. What I'm into most right now, I might not be into in six months. My tastes expand and flow in different directions (often one thing leads to another, then I'm surprised by something different, and my interest goes there). Most of what I liked when I was a teen I'm not really into anymore, and listening to such stuff is more for nostalgia. I try not to discount any music as I never know where I will be sometime later in my journey. I would hope my tastes never stagnate or become too set-in-stone (I try to keep an open mind and open ears). I don't think I'll ever be big on Crunk or Emo-Noisecore, but hardly anyone is I would think. That said, someone here might post a video which I check out, and it totally changes my mind (always up to hearing new-to-me stuff, and challenging myself).

I'm starting to really like VdGG. My favorite album of theirs is The Least We Can Do..

You don't really strike me as silly, you seem more like intellectual and just 'with it'(for lack of a better phrase). Yeah, those are certainly two of their better albums imo(The Yes Album and Time and a Word). Close to the Edge(the album as a whole) can get too repetitive I think. I've tried to get into that stuff like Henry Cow, Art Zoyd.. but it just sounded too weird(almost like it wasn't even musical). Maybe I should try again though at some point. I've been listening to a whole lot of classical music lately. Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi.. Beethoven I'm finding hard to get into other than his 5th. And I don't love the piano stuff, I'm all about Cellos and Violins. It just sounds good to me. 

^ Thanks. That's my favourite too. I enjoy nothing more than making silly jokes. I especially liked to write silly stories. I stop myself most of the time from cracking jokes here. A lot of the time my jokes are interspersed amongst serious posts, and a very good friend at a past forum told me, never let them know when you're joking as it spoils the joke, so I think I sometimes bury them too much -- I often ramble so much anyway, that I bet it seems just a jumble of words much of the time -- I respect those people who have substance while being much more succinct than I usually manage.

Even I can't always get into stuff like Henry Cow. I used to love it, but it's tough going for me now unless I'mm in just the right mood, and that depends on the album. I let my mood choose my music most of the time. My tastes are less experimental than they used to be. At one time it seems I couldn't enjoy music unless it was really out-there (like weird equalled this is great!) Art Zoyd I always seem to love for some reason, well, not all Art Zoyd, a lot of it would be tough for me now. Close to the Edge never totally worked for me,rather too repetitive as you say, but there is music I love off it. Lots of Yes music I really enjoy.

I love Mozart, Back, Vivaldi and Beethoven. I grew up with that music as my dad only wanted classical music played in the house, and I did love it. With Beethoven, my dad's favourite was the 5th, mine is the 9th overall, and I love the second movement of Beethoven's 7th . I got into the 7th thanks to an odd and rather disturbing Sean Connery film called Zardoz -- for those who have seem my Connery in a red diaper avatar, that's the one. A favourite of mine is Myaskovsky's Cello concerto, sad and beautiful, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no.2 (so romantic). Albioni's Adago, and Tallis (choral) are some others i love And I still love old favourites such as Holst's The Planets and Orff's Karmina Burana.

I like a lot of sad music, which as a depressive, maybe I shouldn't be wallowing in. Anyway, sorry went on a bit and got very self-indulgent.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 21:18

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it. Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

Hercules has been our number one King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator hater here. He used to hate Gentle Giant, but grew to like it, so I figure there was always hope. We share plenty of music we do like in common (from Camel to Cardiacs), which doesn't leave a heck of lot alphabetically in between, come to think of it. We have rather different philosophies when it comes to art appreciation though, and I don't like to make subjective claims in an objective manner, but maybe that's me being pedantic and that led to some disagreements.

Apparently, it seemed to be claimed, the avant-garde crowd pushed out the more mainstream proggers, but I don't remember a time when bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Camel, Jethro Tull etc. were not being discussed, and it was all Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Shub-Nigguarth, Igor Wakhevitch and The Residents etc. discussion.

By the way, guess I mentioned, at least in part, earlier in the thread, but I used to love Yes. I got to know them in the 80s. I started with Fragile and loved it. These days I like The Yes Album and Time and a Word the most. When I started getting back into Prog, classic symph was my favourite, but my tastes moved more towards the avant-garde. Being rather odd myself, I've always been drawn to the strange, and with familiarity it ceases to be strange. Nowadays I mostly listen to folk music, classical, electronic and jazz, and don't have much rock music of any kind in my diet, but I go through phases. What I'm into most right now, I might not be into in six months. My tastes expand and flow in different directions (often one thing leads to another, then I'm surprised by something different, and my interest goes there). Most of what I liked when I was a teen I'm not really into anymore, and listening to such stuff is more for nostalgia. I try not to discount any music as I never know where I will be sometime later in my journey. I would hope my tastes never stagnate or become too set-in-stone (I try to keep an open mind and open ears). I don't think I'll ever be big on Crunk or Emo-Noisecore, but hardly anyone is I would think. That said, someone here might post a video which I check out, and it totally changes my mind (always up to hearing new-to-me stuff, and challenging myself).

I'm starting to really like VdGG. My favorite album of theirs is The Least We Can Do..

You don't really strike me as silly, you seem more like intellectual and just 'with it'(for lack of a better phrase). Yeah, those are certainly two of their better albums imo(The Yes Album and Time and a Word). Close to the Edge(the album as a whole) can get too repetitive I think. I've tried to get into that stuff like Henry Cow, Art Zoyd.. but it just sounded too weird(almost like it wasn't even musical). Maybe I should try again though at some point. I've been listening to a whole lot of classical music lately. Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi.. Beethoven I'm finding hard to get into other than his 5th. And I don't love the piano stuff, I'm all about Cellos and Violins. It just sounds good to me. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:41

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate

I can't believe that someone on here would actually hate on this.. HORRIBLE band. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I could interpret your post in various ways, do you find all of King Crimson music horrible or does the "horrible" refer to the poster's thoughts I was referring to, as he has called it horrible, or maybe it was horrid and dreadful?

You lost some context with your snipping. I would at least use ellipses to indicate when snipping because not everyone reads through the whole thread (that's a reason why I tend to quote in full, wouldn't want to risk losing any context. Sometimes I have done so, mostly, for humorous purposes).

This would be the full relevant part of my longer post:

...By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

I mean, that has Jon Anderson in it and is very Yes reminiscent to me.

For that matter for those who like the debut and hate everything else, the second album is quite similar to the debut. I think the band has been truly eclectic, and one could enjoy, say this:

And hate this:

And one could hate both. My point, I think, was that I would have thought that certain Yes fans could have found more to enjoy other than just In the Court... Heck, even if it's just parts of "Prince Rupert Awakes".

I remember you didn't like the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referncing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

Kind of surprised that isn't the bit that got attention.

That was truly horrible, he shot his girlfriend in the face blinding and disfiguring her, then went to the park and killed himself. I was chatting with him online the day before as I recall, and we were good online friends in fact I'd tried to give him advice as he was going through a rough time. I discovered King Crimson through him, so maybe KC can exert some evil influence, or appeal to the deranged, or maybe I played a part even though I tried to help and was concerned. I don't really think so re KC. I think his love of The Punisher was more concerning, and while I can enjoy KC despite the association, I won't ever watch The Punisher (that was his big obsession).

If you're just referencing H, sorry for getting heavy. Really wasn't sure how to interpret your post.

I'm sorry to hear that man. That sucks. And you're right, I should have used your whole quote, and then just bolded that part maybe. I was mostly just being my, too often, silly self. I obviously love Yes, they and Genesis were the two that originally got me into prog in the 80's(and ELP too at the time through Asia). And I don't like KC(at all, nothing about them). Although Robert Fripp seems to be an alright guy, I read that he's a vegetarian. So that cool. Anyway, sorry for the mixup. You know you're alright with me, I just am a generally silly person.

No worries, I have a very silly sense of humour, and people often don't seem to get it (sometimes they misinterpret my intent and get angry, I've even been threatened over the use of a pun -- some Tool fans have no sense of humour). Mostly, like my son, they just ignore it. Well he ducks and slowly walks away backwards. Apparently he's lost more than 50 brain cells listening to Desposito (he just said so).

Edited by Logan - October 02 2019 at 21:05
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:13
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate

I can't believe that someone on here would actually hate on this.. HORRIBLE band. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Hercules have returned?!?

I knew he would!

Nope, this is the only username I've ever had on here. Good to hear there's another one like me though.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 20:12

I could interpret your post in various ways, do you find all of King Crimson music horrible or does the "horrible" refer to the poster's thoughts I was referring to, as he has called it horrible, or maybe it was horrid and dreadful?

You lost some context with your snipping. I would at least use ellipses to indicate when snipping because not everyone reads through the whole thread (that's a reason why I tend to quote in full, wouldn't want to risk losing any context. Sometimes I have done so, mostly, for humorous purposes).

...By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

For that matter for those who like the debut and hate everything else, the second album is quite similar to the debut. I think the band has been truly eclectic, and one could enjoy, say this:

And hate this:

And one could hate both. My point, I think, was that I would have thought that certain Yes fans could have found more to enjoy other than just In the Court... Heck, even if it's just parts of "Prince Rupert Awakes".

I remember you didn't like the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referncing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

That was truly horrible, he shot his girlfriend in the face blinding and disfiguring her, then went to the park and killed himself. I was chatting with him online the day before as I recall, and we were good online friends in fact I'd tried to give him advice as he was going through a rough time. I discovered King Crimson through him, so maybe KC can exert some evil influence, or appeal to the deranged, or maybe I played a part even though I tried to help and was concerned. I don't really think so re KC. I think his love of The Punisher was more concerning, and while I can enjoy KC despite the association, I won't ever watch The Punisher (that was his big obsession).

If you're just referencing H, sorry for getting heavy. Really wasn't sure how to interpret your post.

I'm sorry to hear that man. That sucks. And you're right, I should have used your whole quote, and then just bolded that part maybe. I was mostly just being my, too often, silly self. I obviously love Yes, they and Genesis were the two that originally got me into prog in the 80's(and ELP too at the time through Asia). And I don't like KC(at all, nothing about them). Although Robert Fripp seems to be an alright guy, I read that he's a vegetarian. So that cool. Anyway, sorry for the mixup. You know you're alright with me, I just am a generally silly person.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 19:53

Hercules have returned?!?

I knew he would!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 19:41

And hate this:

I remember you were concerned about the band because of the name, although that says next to nothing about the music itself, other than one will find some evil riffage. I was talking specifically about music that Yes fans might appreciate. The poster I was thinking of particularly is an atheist, and I'm sure the band name wouldn't be an issue for him (he has claimed that the only the debut is worth listening to as I recall). That said, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, it's rather ambiguous (just a joke perhaps?), but then perhaps my post you were quoting a part from also wasn't clear enough.

Or perhaps the horrible was referencing my use of the word horrible in the first paragraph of that post you posted a short excerpt from:

...I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog....

Edited by Logan - October 02 2019 at 20:08
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 18:32

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 18:29
Yes this was an easy choice for me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 11:52
It's a Yes vote for me. I only like King Crimson's first two albums, but I like every album Yes has ever done.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 10:13
Both! Hard to pick right now as both are two of my favorite bands! Tongue
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2019 at 09:19
Soooo Clooose!  Live KC - Studio Yes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>