Print Page | Close Window

Help me understand krautrock and canterbury

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=121998
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 17:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Help me understand krautrock and canterbury
Posted By: Ozric_Gnome
Subject: Help me understand krautrock and canterbury
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 07:05
I'm a huge prog fan and have experimented with many different genres and styles but every time I listen to Krautrock or Canterbury i just end up getting bored quite fast. I feel that for some reason those genres feel quite emotionless.

Can anybody recommend a way to get into Canterbury and Krautrock?

Just for an idea of where I'm coming from, here are some of my favorite bands: Opeth, Pink Floyd, Yes, Cynic, Pain of Salvation, Comus, Spock's Beard, Gentle Giant, In The Woods..., Bachdenkel, Leprous, and Porcupine Tree.

Thanks!Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:21
Personally I’d go to the Krautrock/Canterbury pages and then sample some of the highest regarded albums off of jootoob
Both “genres” contain very different sounding music spanning from fusion to psychedelic to avant to electronic and everything in between.
Good luck

Edith: but sure two easy-to-get-into albums are:
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
Can - Saw Delight

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:27
I'm not a Krautrock guy so I can understand the OP's position.
Now as far as Canterbury goes: try National Health or Egg. As a fan of all the bands you listed I think you might like those two the best...

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:30
Krautrock and Canterbury are definitely not emotionless. just listen to these:

a Canterbury example:

a Krautrock example:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:38
Hey! I’m just getting into Canterbury as well. Caravan and National Health convinced me, though Hatfield and the North is another favorite. Try land of Grey and Pink a couple times.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:44
I wonder what you have listened to already. Surely typical Krautrock is more spontaneous and less organised than the bands you have listed as your favourites (except early Pink Floyd, who had a huge influence on Kraut) and it's surely not for everyone. One special thing is Can's hypnotic style; you may or may not get it but once you've caught the bug, Jaki Liebezeit can drum as monotonously as he wants but he will never get you bored again. The first album of Tago Mago is a prime example, but all their albums through to Soon Over Babaluma have that hypnotic quality (actually you may prefer Future Days and Soon Over Babaluma sound-wise, but that's just a guess). Later they change quite a bit but Jaki is still Jaki so his magic is still there, if hidden a bit better. A different spin on hypnotic is given by  Neu! Actually I have been bored by that for quite some time but can finally appreciate at least their first album. It's easy to criticise minimalism, but there's no way around the fact that it's very original and special. 

By the way, Holger Czukay's later solo albums are quite different, intricate experimental sound alchemy if that's your thing (it may not be, doesn't really resonate with your list of favourites, but then RIO or Progressive Electronic may not be that alien to you). Not sure whether he is well classified as "Kraut" but there we are.

Of Amon Düül II, Wolf City is probably an easier accessible compromise between their free jamming and transparent sound structures than the more famous earlier Yeti and Tanz der Lemminge. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Of Amon Düül II, Wolf City is probably an easier accessible compromise between their free jamming and transparent sound structures than the more famous earlier Yeti and Tanz der Lemminge.  

Welcome to the forum ... I'm worried about saying anything here ... I'm not sure that the answers you are looking for, will be here ... and we do not know how well you listened to things ... to be able to help you better. In both cases, partial listens (not complete, or just skipping around), will likely leave you more confused than otherwise.

To better understand these, and the early periods in "progressive" music, one has to open up the noggin to appreciating IMPROVISATION and where it takes a person ... this is not what you and I would consider a top ten song, or a "composition" per se ... and to listen to AD2's YETI, and realize that is an "improvisation" is down right crazy, and not exactly something that most guitarists and bands can even consider doing ... thus, a lot of fans, are not likely to be able to appreciate these things and where they came from.

This is just a series of thoughts ... not necessarily a reality, but the question is scary ... for me. Not to mention that "understanding" is not exactly a science, or idea ... it's a very individual thing ... but in the arts, "improvisation" has always been important ... except in "progressive music" as defined by many websites, where the definition is about 5 bands, and not the music itself from around the world ... and this is probably the root of the problem.

Remember that "krautrock" was not just about some music ... it's "style" and "ability" was used in film, literature, and theater ... for just as long as in the rock music area ... and I'm not sure that one can really understand one section without seeing the other ... it's like ... Klaus Kinski in those days, is just as much "krautrock" as anything else ... his free form improvisations FORCED the camera to follow him, not anything else ... and there is a lot of this in the music itself.

Canterbury, for my tastes, is not as improvisational and valuable as an art form in so many disciplines, as the German style was in my view of things. But it is fun, and sometimes nutz and musically insane, but folks that were ... quite obviously ... very well educated musically and were making changes intentionally to see where it took things ... !!!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Ozric_Gnome Ozric_Gnome wrote:

There is no way to get into any music. If you don't like it, move on. Some members have suggested some good choices. Don't force yourself to tolerate anything, no need for multiple listens for it to sink in, it won't work.

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:16
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

no need for multiple listens for it to sink in, it won't work.

Apparently it doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone.

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:21

There is no way to get into any music. If you don't like it, move on. Some members have suggested some good choices. Don't force yourself to tolerate anything, no need for multiple listens for it to sink in, it won't work.

I get where you’re coming from, but I think it entirely depends on the individual. Speaking for myself here but some of my absolute favourite albums now were absolutely dreadful/boring/impenetrable when I first span them. They sort of snuck up on me in a sly ninja-fashion and suddenly, by magic or some sort, sounds and odd melodies from before transform into something that just gels.
Conversely, I find certain albums I originally bought for their almost ‘instant gradification-factor’ now seem rather dull.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:34

Apparently it doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone.
You need to stop attacking all my posts Lewian. It doesn't work for anyone.

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:47

If I went by this way of thinking I would not be a prog fan

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:53

You need to stop attacking all my posts Lewian. It doesn't work for anyone.

If I disagree with something, I won't stop writing that.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:53
I'm not an expert either but like most of what I have heard in those two categories especially Caravan and Can.

Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 10:55
Chill pill time. There’s a new guy here asking for recs to get the low-down on some of the more..erm approachable bands/albums from Krautrock/Canterbury. Let’s keep that going shall we

P.S. Grumpyprogfan: When you phrase posts the way you do, you’re bound to get some blowback every once in a while.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 11:18
Well...his name is 'Grumpyprogfan'.....

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 11:58

I'm a huge prog fan and have experimented with many different genres and styles but every time I listen to Krautrock or Canterbury i just end up getting bored quite fast. I feel that for some reason those genres feel quite emotionless.

Just for an idea of where I'm coming from, here are some of my favorite bands: Opeth, Pink Floyd, Yes, Cynic, Pain of Salvation, Comus, Spock's Beard, Gentle Giant, In The Woods..., Bachdenkel, Leprous, and Porcupine Tree.

Thanks!Big smile

As stated before, the site defined parameters of the two sub-genres on their respective pages will give you the most complete definitions. Ultimately, these are primarily geography based subs with a few outliers. The simplest why to look at them sound wise is to think of where the majority of bands within would fit if these subs didn't exist. Krautrock has a lot of avant-garde/experimental feel, infused with psychedelia. Canterbury bands tend to have an old-school fusion motif. There are others here that will be able to guide you toward the more accessible examples of Krautrock. The only band that really spoke to me there was Faust, and that was for a couple later albums (checkout "Something Dirty"). I have several of the "classics" from Can and Amon Duul II in my collection. I revisit periodically, but still not making the connection. 
Canterbury also took awhile for me to really sink my teeth into. The band that really pushed my over the top was Supersister. Try anything from their first 4 albums. "Present from Nancy" and "Iskander" are my favorites, though many here do not like the latter. 

Anyway, listening is a journey, not a destination. Don't force it. Something you listen to now that doesn't stick may sound completely different to you somewhere down an alternate contextual path.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:04
the whole "Vive la Trance" album by Amon Düül 2 is pretty accessible too and in my opinion better than its average rating in the archives

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: deandob
Date Posted: January 17 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the whole "Vive la Trance" album by Amon Düül 2 is pretty accessible too and in my opinion better than its average rating in the archives
Thanks BaldJean, I enjoyed listening to that one you posted above.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 01:13
Lots of recommendations already, but I think you should try first side of Can´s Tago-Mago. To me it´s one of the best music ever made, whole album is also really great but goes lot more experimental.

Also Faust IV is my big favourites.

And maybe you should try also some Kevin Ayers, for example first "Joy Of a Toy" or "the Confessions Of Dr. Dream".

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 03:51
Don't let genre names distract you--   Krautrock is just prog from Germany, and as far as Canterbury goes, you have to find the prog elements that interest you.   National Health would be a good place to start.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 06:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Don't let genre names distract you--   Krautrock is just prog from Germany,

I thought so, too, but looking more into the classifications, actually that's not true. I checked this when looking for things to recommend. There are many prog bands from Germany that are classified elsewhere, Eloy, Grobschnitt, Novalis, Hoelderlin, Anyone's Daughter, Tangerine Dream, just to name a few. And although I didn't contribute to any of these classifications, I think there are good reasons for this. "Kraut", I'd say, stands for freedom, experimentation, and improvisation in the tradition of the late 60s/early 70s music communes of which Amon Düül is the prime example. There is a lot of free form in the earlier works. Later it's bands that picked up Kraut elements like the rhythm orientation of Can. There is also some minimalism to be found as in Neu, Cluster and La Duesseldorf, anyway much of this music is less "composed" and more organically developed than other prog genres (although some such as Amon Düül II got into more conventional/"composed" song formats later). The genre was meant to have a proper musical meaning beyond "being German" and I think it does. (And given the list of favourites in the first posting, I can well understand why these bands are more difficult for the poster to get into than, say, Eloy or Anyone's Daughter.)  

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 06:49

Don't let genre names distract you--   Krautrock is just prog from Germany, and as far as Canterbury goes, you have to find the prog elements that interest you.   National Health would be a good place to start.

Sorry, David, I don't agree at allWink. "True" Krautrock is characterized by a very high level of experimentation, which in some cases goes beyond even what you would find labeled as RIO/Avant. Though I cannot call myself an expert, I have been involved in the latest installment of the Romantic Warriors documentary series - the first part of a trilogy dedicated to Krautrock - and that has given me a much deeper insight into this "subgenre". In fact, some Krautrock bands have more in common with post-punk/new wave that traditional prog. I would say that Krautrock is the embodiment of the "progressive vs prog" debate.

As to "understanding" any subgenre, it is something that may happen, or it may not. There are some subgenres I don't really care for, and forcing myself to listen to some highly praised albums has not produced any result. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes, and it is perfectly OK not to "get" something that others do.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:11
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As to "understanding" any subgenre, it is something that may happen, or it may not. There are some subgenres I don't really care for, and forcing myself to listen to some highly praised albums has not produced any result. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes, and it is perfectly OK not to "get" something that others do.
Agree. I said the same thing, although I may not have phrased it as well, and Lewian and others shat all over it. I can only conclude that they like to belittle me but not others.

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:24

Agree. I said the same thing, although I may not have phrased it as well, and Lewian and others shat all over it. I can only conclude that they like to belittle me but not others.

Actually I agree that everybody has the right to their own taste and opinion, and nobody needs to get into any subgenre, hell, it is even fine to hate all of prog and not listen to any of it anymore ever if anybody decides so. However if somebody is curious enough to ask, it doesn't make sense to tell them that they shouldn't even ask because trying to get into something won't work anyway (for which there are many, many counterexamples).

And no, it's not personal. I actually like controversial exchange, however you don't seem to share that. Which is fair enough but really, no need to feel chased by me.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:41

Sorry, David, I don't agree at allWink. "True" Krautrock is characterized by a very high level of experimentation, which in some cases goes beyond even what you would find labeled as RIO/Avant. 

I have been, for many years trying to explain this from a theater/film perspective, and have had a really hard time getting through for some folks to have a better idea of what an "experimentation" really is ... and one of the accidental postings brought out, yet another example for me ... that I do not think it was meant to.

Titles ... usually a "title" tells you what the piece is about, and often the piece/song has lyrics around that theme. This is a problem for "experimentation" and "improvisation", since you do not want to create a situation where someone (an audience let's say) thinks about this word or that word, and the whole thing was nowhere near that word when created.

A true improvisation, will have many of the musicians going in many directions, and things may or may not come together ... and this is the hard part in naming anything ... and my take, specially in the situation with Robert Wyatt and Soft Machine, was that the title of his book, was about the fact that the music in SM at the time, had stopped being "different every time" and had become more "controlled" and "composed" ... which makes it less of an improvisation altogether.

In this last sense, the numbering of albums by number makes sense ... no need to number an album with a word, 1) when they did not have one in the first place, and 2) the putting together of the whole thing was about being together at one place in time, and this worked ... and then comes the big elephant ... are we going to be able to play that on stage?

Though I cannot call myself an expert, I have been involved in the latest installment of the Romantic Warriors documentary series - the first part of a trilogy dedicated to Krautrock - and that has given me a much deeper insight into this "subgenre". In fact, some Krautrock bands have more in common with post-punk/new wave that traditional prog. I would say that Krautrock is the embodiment of the "progressive vs prog" debate.

The book FUTURE DAYS goes over this really well, and it kind of shows you how different each area was, from each other in regards to not only the music, but in its own development.

My take is that one forgets, how important this kind of experimental process was in other disciplines of art, something that too many folks in this board are scared to discuss, or perhaps they are not as aware of theater, film, literature and other arts as I have been lucky to be.

I always ask ... do you really think there is as much of a difference between Klaus Kinski and what Damo Suzuki did for CAN ... and the answer is no ... we immediately went after it, and Werner Herzog could not keep the camera away from the loon ... that would not stop acting when the scene was "over", which was very visible sometimes, when (I think) it is very clear that the whole thing was extended because it was simply too good, and some of it could be cut later if it needed to. 

Lastly, originally, on the CAN website, Holger had stated that TAGO MAGO was put together off 20 some hours of stuff and that most of it was put together by chance and whatever other idea ... to put something together that was not a WESTERNIZED FORM of music ... and this wording shows up more than once within the "krautrock" ideas and concept ... and the same thing happened in literature when you had someone like Peter Handke (and others) writing "word plays" ... where it was a literal 52 pickup with no order whatsoever, no theme that anyone can pick up and a total dismantling of the idea/concept of composition ... something that drives folks here totally crazy ... why/now could anyone be so stupid and crazy to even consider that? A piece of something with no concepts, no ideas, no story, no characters, no lyrics that you and I could define ... the absolute worst thoughts and ideas ... and guess what Damo was doing? A version of the same thing ... guess what Klaus was doing? A version of the same thing thinly disguised as a characterization that never ended, something that we only hear a handful of actors EVER try and work with!

My take is that there is a lot more to it all, than we're comfortable describing ... to the point where at least one troll will say that all this is trivial and drivel ... and no one has the guts to call them on their lack of apprehension and appreciation for an art form!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:16

Except you didn’t say the same thing Had Raff written the same post as you did, you can bet your sweet behind that she would have received the same replies. Yes replies. No one here is attacking you..people have disagreed with you.
I’m sorry you feel this way, but you’re going to find it arduous and downright hostile on any internet forum if you keep seeing attacks instead of discussions.
This is music man. We all got our own experiences with this marvelous art form, so no wonder we differ when it comes to our opinions of the very same

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 17:08

I would say that Krautrock is the embodiment of the "progressive vs prog" debate.

great post... and agree but let me take that a bit further and another reason why Krautrock, though adopted by prog fan (that big umbrella holding several very different beasts that Jacob spoke of yeqrs ago), is really different from prog. 

it isn't just the embodiment of progressive v prog.. it is the embodiment of intellectual v. emotional.  At its root Krautrock could be called.... anti intellectual.. more primal... thus its strong roots in the beats.. the rhythms.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 17:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Except you didn’t say the same thing Had Raff written the same post as you did, you can bet your sweet behind that she would have received the same replies. Yes replies. No one here is attacking you..people have disagreed with you.
I’m sorry you feel this way, but you’re going to find it arduous and downright hostile on any internet forum if you keep seeing attacks instead of discussions.
This is music man. We all got our own experiences with this marvelous art form, so no wonder we differ when it comes to our opinions of the very same

Internet discussion can indeed be a full-contact sport.   

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 18:09
Krautrock is so hard to understand...because the instrumentals are all in German.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:35
^LOL...and in vocals there are so "terrible accent".

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 14:42

I just reviewed National Health's first album today. Smile

My all-time favourite Canterbury Scene album is "Space Shanty" by Khan, featuring Steve Hillage on guitar.

Date Posted: January 19 2020 at 15:04
^ Space Shanty was gonna be my next suggestion

-------------

Posted By: Ozric_Gnome
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:19
Thank you guys for the suggestions, I never expected to get so manyBig smile

I'm gonna start off listening to Tago Mago, IV, Phallus Dei, In the land of Gray and Pink, Fitter Stoke Has a Bath, and To the Highest Bidder

I believe my problem with the genres is honestly just my attention spanLOL For awhile I find it quite enjoyable until I get lost and zone out. I'm only sixteen and a frequent drug user so I tend to get dazed and confused

Edit: I will also be listening to Of Queues and Cures

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:54
Caravan's In the land of Gray and Pink is probably the most easily approachable music out of all of the Canterbury Scene albums.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk