Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122075
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 17:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: VDGG vs VDGG
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: VDGG vs VDGG
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 17:55
Not many bands you can really do something like this with but it's obvious that these could be seen as two different periods due to their absence for a few years.

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 19:19
Second period.

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:00
Both, unique in their own right

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:30
Wowee what a tough one! Godbluff and Still Life are my top two, but I prefer the least we can do to world record by a little bit. I love all of these but gotta vote for the one with my two favs.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Run Home Slow
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:54
neither can't be left out... voted for both equally :)

-------------
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:01
Could have voted for both equally but give it to their first period.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 28 2020 at 23:26
option 1

but both are top notch. Any band should be thrilled to have such a successful run of albums 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 00:27
Well you've split Pawn Hearts and Godbluff (understandably otherwise the poll would be pointless). Trouble is those (along with Do Not Disturb) are the only VDGG albums I care about so I went for the 'tie' option.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 01:31
The three earlier albums, because they're the only three VDGG albums I've listened to. Smile

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 01:58
I was going to do the same poll (but with only the first two options). However, it was my intention that the poll be about the general sound of the group during those two periods rather than the specific albums. So, because I prefer the overall sound of the earlier period than the overall sound of the later period, I vote for the "The Least we can do.., H to He.., Pawn Hearts" option.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I was going to do the same poll (but with only the first two options). However, it was my intention that the poll be about the general sound of the group during those two periods rather than the specific albums. So, because I prefer the overall sound of the earlier period than the overall sound of the later period, I vote for the "The Least we can do.., H to He.., Pawn Hearts" option.

I've never heard Van der Graaf Generator's first "Aerosol" album and I've noticed it doesn't get much of a mention on ProgArchives, so I'm guessing it's not that good. Smile

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've never heard Van der Graaf Generator's first "Aerosol" album and I've noticed it doesn't get much of a mention on ProgArchives, so I'm guessing it's not that good. Smile

I think you would like it, given that it's more psychedelic than their subsequent albums. Actually, I think it's interesting to look at the progression from their debut album through to Pawn Hearts. There were hints of their sound in the debut. They found their sound proper with their second album, but that sound was in a distinctly crude form. With their third album, they had refined their sound, but the album itself lacked unity. With Pawn Hearts, they created the perfect album.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:41
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think you would like it, given that it's more psychedelic than their subsequent albums. Actually, I think it's interesting to look at the progression from their debut album through to Pawn Hearts. There were hints of their sound in the debut. They found their sound proper with their second album, but that sound was in a distinctly crude form. With their third album, they had refined their sound, but the album itself lacked unity. With Pawn Hearts, they created the perfect album.

Okay, I'll give their first album a listen sometime. I bought the second and third VDGG albums without even listening to them first after they were recommended to me here on PA, and I really enjoyed them, but I wasn't so keen on their Pawn Hearts album, although I've only listened to it once. Smile

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:44
3 - 0 for first period.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 04:08
Godbluff is peak VDGG for me, but the first clustering of albums is preferred over the second in this context.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:19
Second period by a hair.

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:35
Both.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:51
The first option. Not that the second one is not good, but the three albums in the first option much better to my ears.  

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:21
First three. Still Life is every bit as good as the three from the first period, but I'm not that keen on Godbluff and World Record.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:36
First three for me too, but Godbluff is my favourite VDGG (today that is lol)

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 29 2020 at 14:34
Still Life > Godbluff > H to He >= The Least We Can Do > Pawn Hearts > World Record

The 2nd period wins.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:13
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The first option. Not that the second one is not good, but the three albums in the first option much better to my ears.  

Ditto

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk