Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VDGG vs VDGG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which set of VDGG albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [46.15%]
8 [20.51%]
9 [23.08%]
4 [10.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VDGG vs VDGG
    Posted: January 28 2020 at 17:55
Not many bands you can really do something like this with but it's obvious that these could be seen as two different periods due to their absence for a few years.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 28 2020 at 17:55
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 19:19
Second period.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:00
Both, unique in their own right
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:30
Wowee what a tough one! Godbluff and Still Life are my top two, but I prefer the least we can do to world record by a little bit. I love all of these but gotta vote for the one with my two favs.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Home Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 20:54
neither can't be left out... voted for both equally :)
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:01
Could have voted for both equally but give it to their first period.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 23:26
option 1

but both are top notch. Any band should be thrilled to have such a successful run of albums 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 00:27
Well you've split Pawn Hearts and Godbluff (understandably otherwise the poll would be pointless). Trouble is those (along with Do Not Disturb) are the only VDGG albums I care about so I went for the 'tie' option.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 01:31
The three earlier albums, because they're the only three VDGG albums I've listened to. Smile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 01:58
I was going to do the same poll (but with only the first two options). However, it was my intention that the poll be about the general sound of the group during those two periods rather than the specific albums. So, because I prefer the overall sound of the earlier period than the overall sound of the later period, I vote for the "The Least we can do.., H to He.., Pawn Hearts" option.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I was going to do the same poll (but with only the first two options). However, it was my intention that the poll be about the general sound of the group during those two periods rather than the specific albums. So, because I prefer the overall sound of the earlier period than the overall sound of the later period, I vote for the "The Least we can do.., H to He.., Pawn Hearts" option.

I've never heard Van der Graaf Generator's first "Aerosol" album and I've noticed it doesn't get much of a mention on ProgArchives, so I'm guessing it's not that good. Smile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've never heard Van der Graaf Generator's first "Aerosol" album and I've noticed it doesn't get much of a mention on ProgArchives, so I'm guessing it's not that good. Smile

I think you would like it, given that it's more psychedelic than their subsequent albums. Actually, I think it's interesting to look at the progression from their debut album through to Pawn Hearts. There were hints of their sound in the debut. They found their sound proper with their second album, but that sound was in a distinctly crude form. With their third album, they had refined their sound, but the album itself lacked unity. With Pawn Hearts, they created the perfect album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:41
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think you would like it, given that it's more psychedelic than their subsequent albums. Actually, I think it's interesting to look at the progression from their debut album through to Pawn Hearts. There were hints of their sound in the debut. They found their sound proper with their second album, but that sound was in a distinctly crude form. With their third album, they had refined their sound, but the album itself lacked unity. With Pawn Hearts, they created the perfect album.

Okay, I'll give their first album a listen sometime. I bought the second and third VDGG albums without even listening to them first after they were recommended to me here on PA, and I really enjoyed them, but I wasn't so keen on their Pawn Hearts album, although I've only listened to it once. Smile
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 02:44
3 - 0 for first period.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 04:08
Godbluff is peak VDGG for me, but the first clustering of albums is preferred over the second in this context.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:19
Second period by a hair.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:35
Both.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:51
The first option. Not that the second one is not good, but the three albums in the first option much better to my ears.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:21
First three. Still Life is every bit as good as the three from the first period, but I'm not that keen on Godbluff and World Record.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:36
First three for me too, but Godbluff is my favourite VDGG (today that is lol)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>