Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125442
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 14:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How did you become a proghead?
Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Subject: How did you become a proghead?
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:44
Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?
I'm curious to see what stories there are.

Replies:
Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:53
I'm one of the fortunate ones who was growing up through the emergence of psychedelia and it's transition into prog, so I've been there for the whole journey to date. The biggest influence were local bands, who happened to include the local school band, Genesis and the University of Surrey, Guildford Technical College, The Civic Hall and a load of other venues that had live music of every kind. 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:55
Heard a lot from local students when I were a small lad. A very unique house on a street that was not a street and a lot of foliage, pathways between houses and everyone playing this ultra interesting music.. Tull, Crim, Floyd, Moodies, Stones, Cream and The Who... at different houses. And Kindergarten.

Odd child.

;)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 04:00
I've had a natural affinity for "busy" music since before I could even articulate what that really was, or could mean. Naturally drawn to stuff like jazz and fusion, which I admittedly have to thank my father for since he'd have it on on occasion. As a teen I always enjoyed harder rock and metal, eventually reaching out to what this site would consider tech/extreme prog, and realizing it wasn't so much the heaviness on its own as it was the well-arranged and composed heaviness. This led me backwards to the 70's and I essentially realized bands like Yes and KC are really what my ears were pining for, I just enjoyed (and still do) the occasional metal/extreme/tech veneer, lol.

Prog is prog is prog for my ears. I just go heavier or lighter depending on my present mood and tastes! One day that could be Captain Beefheart Trout Mask Replica, the next it could be Death Individual Thought Patterns. Then Yes Close to The Edge. Then Gorguts Obscura. Then Henry Cow, lol.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 04:51
In 6th form college I was mainly into Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Scorpions etc. A friend did me a mix tape with Genesis Hogweed and the Knife plus a couple of Yes tracks, can't remember which, after that I started exploring mainly Floyd, Tull, Supertramp, Oldfield and the like.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:07
As a pre-teen (late 60's) I was always listening to my AM 'transistor' radio. All 3 stations that it picked up. Around 1970 my mom brought home a AM/FM Cassette machine that had been left in a lost and found for over 6 months. She gave it to me for my bedroom. FM? What's that? Boy...did I soon learn. Radio stations from Detroit at 9pm...well you should know how the story goes from there. One of the first songs I remember hearing on the FM dial that really stuck was ELP's Knife Edge. I had no idea who it was 'cause they didn't always tell you the songs and most times they would play 30 minutes of stuff before naming the songs (if they did at all). Eventually I learned about the band's first album and was hooked.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:37
I loved music from a very early age. My dad acquired a large amount of second hand vinyl when he bought me my first mono record player in the early 70's. It was a diverse collection of many 60's pop and some country and easy listening. I 'progressed' onto ABBA... Then in the late 70's a friend played me The War of the Worlds. At the same time, several quirky chart singles caught my ear; Germ Free Adolescents by X-Ray Spex and Making Plans for Nigel by XTC. Then I heard Another Brick in the Wall by Floyd, then at the start of the 80's I took a shine to heavy metal.

A fellow metalhead at school leant me Exit Stage Left by Rush and Script for a Jesters Tear by Marillion around 1983. Then I heard Genesis on a late night radio show, and the rest is history. So I always had an ear for quirky music, that very few other people I knew seemed to like, and prog rock seemed a natural progression from that.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:45
It was 45 + years ago so I mostly forget. I liked early Floyd as I was a fan of psychedelic music, so it probably started from that. And early Yes and KC caught my eye also. Early Moody Blues captured my attention too, but I only thought of them as a trippy rock band. Still do

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:02
The beginning of my interest in music in 1970 (aged 10/11) coincided with the emergence of prog, so it was the perfect match. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:12
Tull .

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:14
At the age of 3 until i think 7, I had a turntable and I was used to spend days playing the 45rpms of my elder brother and sister. I can remember to have listened to Animals, Creedence Clearwater Revival and also classical music. In particular a LP of Chopin. At 8 I was schocked by 2001 A Space Odyssey, and other than Strauss I understood that music could be challenging thanks to Ligety.
At about 11 I had a tape with ELP Trilogy. It really started then. 
Later, groeing up I started playing guitar and I was mainly into blues and country/finger picking plus some Italian singer-songwriters and a bit of PFM/Orme.
My passion for prog exploded when I discovered Meddle and most of all, Atom Heart Mother. The connections with classical music did the job. At the end of the 70s I discovered Heaven And Hell by Vangelis, then Rick Wakeman, Yes and so on.
I never liked Genesis too much, even now, so I wonder whether I am really a proghead or not.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

At the age of 3 until i think 7, I had a turntable and I was used to spend days playing the 45rpms of my elder brother and sister. I can remember to have listened to Animals, Creedence Clearwater Revival and also classical music. In particular a LP of Chopin. At 8 I was schocked by 2001 A Space Odyssey, and other than Strauss I understood that music could be challenging thanks to Ligety.
Later, groeing up I started playing guitar and I was mainly into blues and country/finger picking plus some Italian singer-songwriters and a bit of PFM/Orme.
My passion for prog exploded when I discovered Meddle and most of all, Atom Heart Mother. The connections with classical music did the job. At the end of the 70s I discovered Heaven And Hell by Vangelis, then Rick Wakeman, Yes and so on.
I never liked Genesis too much, even now, so I wonder whether I am really a proghead or not.
Turn in your prog badge Luca ;)

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:50
In 1972, a friend told me about a band named Jethro Tull. A few days later, when I went to a record store, I saw Stand Up and the cover blew my mind away. I bought the record and when I got home and played it, I was hooked, and I've been hooked since then.

Posted By: Tancos
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:01
My musical life story, grossly oversimplified:

I discovered radio when I was about 13. I quickly got bored with top-40 pap and found a station that played anything from the Moody Blues to the Mothers, from Harry Partch to the Incredible String Band. One evening I heard the Nice's "America," and that was it: this was what I wanted to listen to.

Years passed, radio got stupider, I lost touch with friends with similar tastes, and I pretty much abandoned all forms of rock for classical music, with some Celtic, bluegrass and other oddments for variety. I'd occasionally check in record shops to see what Robert Fripp and Steve Morse were up to, and that was it for the last quarter of the 20th century.

Shortly before the turn of the century I finally got online and discovered an active prog rock community there. That awakened my dormant interest, and here I am at PA.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:01
When I was born, one of PA's all-time greatest albums, Kind of Blue was playing. That was all it took.

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:28
Just got out of High School.  I had a small music collection with Elton, Eagles, Who, Bill Withers, Bread...

A neighbor played me "Musical Box" and the entirety of Trick of the Tail (It was relatively new at the time).
I've been a prog freak ever since.  Even more since around 96-97, since I rediscovered newer prog. Numerous festivals and 1000's of CDs later, here I am.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:26
I wouldn't exactly call myself a proghead; there is too much other music I like. I got into this music via my brother Frank, who is exactly 10 years older than me. He usually had to babysit me because my parents both worked, and he always had a lot of friends around who smoked hashish and listened to all sorts of weird music, including prog, but also hard rock, blues rock, free jazz or classical music (very often the weirder compositions of classical music). Lots of Krautrock too.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:41
Once upon a time a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43586" rel="nofollow - My Road to Prog Enlightenment - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 1 (progarchives.com)

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:01
I ordered a special cocktail and drank it for 40 days and 40 nights and then i went to a cave in Peru and mediated on Frank Zappa album covers for an undisclosed amount of time. Once i emerged i loved all things prog and then i shed my skin and grew a new exoskeleton.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:07
I'm born in 66 and I'm the youngest of 4 brothers / sisters, and also younger than most of my cousins with whom we spent a lot of time.
I grew up listening to the music they were playing in the early 70s, the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, The Who, but also Genesis, ELP, Yes, KC...
The first Prog album that made a deep impression on me was Tarkus, and that's why it has remained a favourite ever since.

Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I ordered a special cocktail and drank it for 40 days and 40 nights and then i went to a cave in Peru and mediated on Frank Zappa album covers for an undisclosed amount of time. Once i emerged i loved all things prog and then i shed my skin and grew a new exoskeleton.
Isn't this how we all got there? Tongue

Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:20
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I wouldn't exactly call myself a proghead; there is too much other music I like. I got into this music via my brother Frank, who is exactly 10 years older than me. He usually had to babysit me because my parents both worked, and he always had a lot of friends around who smoked hashish and listened to all sorts of weird music, including prog, but also hard rock, blues rock, free jazz or classical music (very often the weirder compositions of classical music). Lots of Krautrock too.
Interesting, I think this set of tastes is one that many 'progheads' can refer to.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:28
I'm totally a proghead! But I can't remember how I became one.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:34
Being 11 or 12 years old in the early 70s and listening to Tull, Floyd, Yes and King Crimson in grade school will have that effect on you.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:44

I wouldn't exactly call myself a proghead; there is too much other music I like. 

Hi,

Same here ... but I suppose that we could say that the Beatles and Rolling Stones helped, however, at the time, in Brazil, I was also hearing other things that were tremendous and I liked them a lot, from pop, to the local stuff to classical ... it was all excellent and has a great history, that we will not even try to look at! Same with a lot of other countries, although NONE, get a chance at a history of it all like Germany and England!

All in all, the new things by the Beatles were far out and by 1967/1968 I got into the California scene a lot, and was well versed and familiar with the great bands of the time. The Midwest, in America, did have some far out things, although we never consider CHICAGO progressive, but in those early days, they were far more "progressive than most bands around, specially with the longer cuts showing some excellent music and composition.

By 1970, I was already aware of the European scene, and my sister (for example) already had Alan Stivell (she played harp for the SB Symphony) and Aphrodite's Child ... and a couple of other things from Italy, although I thought they were mostly pop music. 

It all really "broke" in 1972, when Guy Guden, in one night played SEBTP, A Tab in the Ocean and Tangerine Dream (Phaedra) ... and I have never lost the flavor for appreciating new music, and specially experimental and improvised materials, of which I already had some taste of from the SF scene which was full of it in those early days, until the whole thing was ruined by the media. Before 1972, I already had Yes, ELP, PF and JT in my collection.

I have never left behind many sounds from Europe ... they still are too intelligent and far out for my ears, and I have never, also, succumbed to the malady of top ten numbers and favorites, something that I don't think belongs in a place about progressive music ... but that's another story.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:44
I was a Dream Theater listener and Symphony X fan before my 20s, I also was familiar with Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and a couple of other prog rock bands then. But I became a full-fledged prog fan in 2005 or something, in my mid 20s. I became a Prog Archives denizen in 2004 or 2005 which helped a lot.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:45

Sounds like my childhood. I also had older siblings that  looked after me, turned on to lots of me different music & yes, occasionally smoked various plant based substances with their friends. Wink

Posted By: malsader
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:21
Heard Close To The Edge in 1972 (in Baghdad-Iraq). The rest was/is history.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:24
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

When I was born, one of PA's all-time greatest albums, Kind of Blue was playing. That was all it took.

It's good to see you back again, Grumpy.  I haven't seen you around here since before Christmas, and on the subject of Christmas, I haven't seen Father Christmas since December last year either.  Confused

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:55
^Thankx Paul!!!

Posted By: Proghound23
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:57
Greetings to all with my first post here.  A thread with this title seems like as good a place as any to start :)

I guess it was inevitable that I'd end up in Prog, I was always most attracted to music with decent music-value.  Even as a very young child, I took in the more Brian Wilson-heavy songs from Dad's tape of the Beach Boys' 20 Golden Greats as much as, if not more than the straightforward ones.

My first exposure to Prog was probably watching in black-and-white and hearing in FM stereo, what I now know to be Renaissance performing "Ocean Gypsy" on a TV/Radio simultaneous broadcast some time in the 70's.  I was maybe 8 years old and hadn't even got my first radio yet. It was only after the arrival of the internet and Napster in particular, that I found out what that song was from the phrases that I could still remember from so many years previously.

Popular music was large in my young life from 1978 to about 1985, back when a lot of it was still properly musical.  Genesis' "Turn It On Again" in particular stuck with me (I remember Simon Bates on Radio 1 playing it at 33rpm by mistake on one occasion!).  But the one song that kick-started my journey through Prog was Jon & Vangelis "I Hear You Now" in 1980.  Hearing it on the radio resulted in the purchase of the Short Stories album.  A cousin and her husband were into prog, told me who the singer was, and gave me a tape of Tormato (along with Duke and Then There Were Three for good measure).  I pretty much never looked back.  As soon as I got to Uni in 1987, my fate was sealed as I heard so many recordings of decent bands I'd never heard of, with second-hand record shops full of every one's back-catalogues.  I think I got more of a degree in music than the Economics that I was supposed to be studying! 

These days I'm well served for discoveries by a combination of Newprogreleases and Bandcamp, which takes me into all sorts of strange corners of the Progsphere.  I've been very pleased to find that a lot of them are already reviewed here on PA and feel it's about time that I made some input also.  I'm currently listening to a quite accessible, but definitely Proggy album with enchanting female vocals in a native Mexican language and loving every minute of it - "Dual I" by Aly - which I heartily commend to all open minds with inquisitive ears :)

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:58
Well my obsession with music was listening to my parents music. Which included Opera, Classical, 50’s Rock and Roll etc! Plus older cousins tastes all the usual suspects! But my inspirational interest was pecked in ‘73 aged 12 and to be truthful I wouldn’t call myself a Proghead because of the other musical genre that. I listen to as well. It’s a awesome favourite genre of music!!!!

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:06
Ah..the new members always ask the same questions that have been asked before....Wink

Like Steve G  I go back a long way >50 years...started with the usual bands like The Beatles, Stones, Jefferson Airplane ,Doors, The Who, Traffic, Procol Harum, Moody Blues...then one day I heard Crimsons' Court and the rest was history. Started seeking out unusual music like that....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ah..the new members always ask the same questions that have been asked before....Wink

Like Steve G  I go back a long way >50 years...started with the usual bands like The Beatles, Stones, Jefferson Airplane ,Doors, The Who, Traffic, Procol Harum, Moody Blues...then one day I heard Crimsons' Court and the rest was history. Started seeking out unusual music like that....

And the older ones always answer the same way

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:19
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Trilogy for me too. It was from my mom's record collection.

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:51
I didnt even realize I was getting into 'prog' at the time - it was hearing both Long Distance Runaround and Roundabout, discovering my fathers Jethro Tull records, and hearing 80's era King Crimson all around 1982.  At the time I thought of these things as unconnected, just three bands i liked.  Eventually I learned that Yes and Crimson were 'prog', though until I stumbled on PA, I never, ever thought of Tull as being in the same category, they were just this separate weird eccentric english band that no-one but me and a few friends liked.  Which may also be a workable definition for a great deal of prog. 

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:51
I was listening to mostly metal when a mate at school lent me (forced me to listen to) Rush - Caress of Steel. At about the same time my sister had heard Dark Side of the Moon and passed that on to me. Another mate was a massive Hawkwind fan, so I started listening to them too.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 12:51
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

I didnt even realize I was getting into 'prog' at the time - it was hearing both Long Distance Runaround and Roundabout, discovering my fathers Jethro Tull records, and hearing 80's era King Crimson all around 1982.  At the time I thought of these things as unconnected, just three bands i liked.  Eventually I learned that Yes and Crimson were 'prog', though until I stumbled on PA, I never, ever thought of Tull as being in the same category, they were just this separate weird eccentric english band that no-one but me and a few friends liked.  Which may also be a workable definition for a great deal of prog
Clap

-------------

Posted By: Jherek6
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 12:55
I started out with English invasion bands and started hearing early psychedelia, which I found quite intriguing.  Then I drifted into hard rock, until I realized I could air guitar most of the solos the first time I heard them.  I realized I needed something different.  Prog was that something different, even though I did not realize it as being prog at that time (not sure 'prog' existed yet- it was art rock I believe).  It wasn't until I discovered Prog Archives that I realized just how much of the music I liked was considered Progressive.

Posted By: timbo
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:16
I listened mainly to classical music growing up, learning organ and trumpet. Didn’t listen to much pop or rock, Mum hated it and Dad liked jazz.

Most of my friends at school were into metal which was a ok but a bit heavy for me. Then one day around 1979 my friend lent me a copy of “And then there were three”, and I was hooked. Within a year I had the entire back catalogue of Genesis, was getting into Yes and Floyd, and just kept branching out from there.

I went to Uni in 1982 and there were quite a few Neo prog bands touring around like Marillion, Pallas and 12th Night, also bands like Steve Hackett and Rick Wakeman toured the universities, got to see Genesis a couple of times, Jethro Tull too. I had tickets for the 90125 tour but missed the gig - never did get to see Yes again.

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:47
This topic comes up every now and then on PA, but I think its been a while. I gave some too-long answers before, going thru my music stages; the short summary of that is:

1) Friends in Jr. High introduced me to Rush-- for about a year I listened to almost nothing else; wore out a cassette with 2112 on one side and Moving Pictures on the other.

2) In High School, friends introduced me to 80's Yes. 90125 was a music staple.

3) In college started checking out 70's Yes; listened to almost nothing else for about a 6-month period.

4) Post-college: found out what "Prog Rock" is, discovered Renaissance, 70s Genesis, and other bands on Prog Rock radio, found PA and other websites, started collecting a lot of Prog rock.

5) Became a Prog DJ,  and continue to collect A LOT more Prog Rock to this day. So I'm a total "Prog Head".

And like a lot of others here, I listen to all types of music, but Prog Rock is by far my favorite type.

-------------
Z

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:57
My Dad played The Dark Side of the Moon on the stereo for us (my Mom, brother and me) when I was a kid. Maybe around 1975 or so. I remember the heartbeat seemed a little scary at first, but the helicopter noises and weird synthesizer noises from On the Run clicked with me immediately. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:58
This is an interesting question for me  personally because I discovered prog at a time when probably not too many other people my age were discovering it and that would be the 1980's. After Yes released 90125(which I soon bought on cassette tape) I began to realize this was the same  band who put out "the Yes album" which I heard a year or so earlier, because my dad owned it, but couldn't get into it because I thought it was too jammy or something(I don't think I made it past "yours is no disgrace"). I ordered "classic yes" on cassette tape just before I went away to summer camp in the summer of 1984 when I was fourteen. While at camp some of the guys in my cabin heard me playing 90125 and it turns out they were Yes fans(maybe because of their dad; I'm not sure). That helped me get into them more and through them I realized this band I liked from a couple of years earlier called Asia had connections to them. 

It was still a gradual journey into becoming a prog fan though. I was still mostly into classic rock and whatever was popular. Led Zeppelin was my favorite band. However, my cousin was a big fan of Genesis and to some degree Yes also so that helped me get more into and discover this thing called progressive rock but I don't think my cousin, who also liked King Crimson, used the term progressive rock. I didn't really take that term seriously until seeing it mentioned in a guitar book that had Robert Fripp in it. I also had a rock encyclopedia that mentioned progressive rock and first heard about a few bands that way. I gradually got more into Yes and Genesis and started to discover their back catalogs and also started to explore King Crimson even though I almost gave up since the first album I heard by them was "islands." By 1986 or so I was a fan of progressive rock bands but was mostly limited to the most obvious ones. My step mother's brother, who was a musician and dj mentioned to me a band called Gentle Giant and I eventually bought three friends and Octopus by them(this was late 80's).  Before the end of the decade I discovered prog mail order catalogs(such as the laser's edge) and the rest is history. 

Prog was growing in the underground at this time even before the internet due to cd reissues and these mail order catalogs. Although I wasn't into it you also had progressive metal popping up. I eventually discovered progression magazine, got sidetracked by alternative while in college and took a break fromm prog in the mid 90's but then rediscovered it before the end of the decade due to rediscovering my old prog catalogs and then also first got online and discovered prog that way after seeing a prog website mentioned in a book I bought called the progressive rock files. I soon started going to prog festivals and got more into this genre online and the rest as they say is history. 

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 14:46
Hearing Fragile--I never heard anything like that before---then a British friend of mine I met in my college town turned me on to Selling England--and once again while very different than Yes---had a mesmerizing magic that it still has for me today. I'm a prog fan but a lot of it isn't really my thing---so I'm a selective prog fan. I tend to appreciate the originality of the best of the best.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 15:20
my parents were hippies and listened to all that psychedelic stuff, including prog and Krautrock (a friend of them was in the army and stationed in Kaiserslautern; he sent them all these Krautrock albums). they took all kinds of drugs, and the house (we lived in a hippie commune) was always filled with sweet smoke. they were at Woodstock with me when I was 8 months old; my parents and I can be seen in one scene of the Woodstock movie. we lived in Oakland, just a bridge away from the center of the hippie movement.

my mother played some piano; she was my first piano teacher

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:00
I was 12 in 1969, and a friend played his brother's copy of ITCOTCK for me. 

I was hooked from the opening Mellotron chords.  The rest is history.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:08
I grew up in west somerset near the commune of a band listed here and heard them practice regularly but didnt know who they were at the time! Later as a teenager i went to a lot of their parties (though most of the bands that played there were Reggae or Hippie-punk.. Poison girls, Crass, Hippie sl*g...) Heard bands like Camel, Stackridge, Barclay James Harvest and Focus through my older brother, worked as a roadie for a bit (Hawkwind etc), ran a record shop for a bit (discovered loads of bands then) and spent a lot of time travelling round festivals.
To be honest, it was not till after my first marriage ended that i re-discovered Prog and rebuilt my record collection and started going to gigs again.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:19
I may be a progarchiveshead, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a Proghead. There's a huge amount of music outside of the Prog sphere that I appreciate, although much of it relates to Prog in various ways. Perhaps what kind of head I am depends on the hat I'm wearing at that moment. Does the hat make the head or the head make the hat? Or both or neither. I have tended to gravitate towards the unusual and always have, which is why a lot of "avant prog" appeals to me. I was raised mostly on classical music, and perhaps I liked how various progressive rock utilised classical form, and even purloined some of the music. An early Prog fave of mine was Focus' Hamburger Concerto. I wasn't much into a lot of yahoo check out my what I'm packing (is that a strat in my pants or am I just glad to see you?) testosterone fueled rock, even if Hamburger Concerto is very ballsy in its way. Later on I really got into it because I was searching for "Hairless Heart" from The Lamb..., and didn't know what it was other than it's some kind of Prog and Peter Gabriel related. That got me delving deep, although I was already familiar with some Prog. Gryphon was one of the first bands I got into when small (in my brothers collection), and Alan Parsons Project with I Robot (I didn't know the prog term then). And I knew a lot of Floyd, some Yes, Rush and Zappa. It's all terribly convoluted and dull, but suffice to say, here I am, proghead or not.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:29
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?

I just like music.

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:58
I was a metalhead before getting into prog. Then my father (who is actually not all that into prog) told me to listen to Jethro Tull, so I did, and loved them.

Then I just randomly listened to some Yes song as a teenager and it all came together from that point.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:26
This website pays me a ton of money to be a prog head......although I really don't like prog but hey its money.

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:28
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I just like music.

Rob (aka Skeletor!) good to see u here Bro.....Working on any new music??

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: February 12 2021 at 18:54
I was a Moody Blues fan at the age of five, thanks to my dad letting me adopt their 2 1969 records as my own. Got into Floyd and Camel several years later. ELP, Genesis etc several years after that, etc. I guess to make a long story short, prog was always a part of my life, and my interest in it probably reached its peak in my late teens and early 20s, coinciding with the early 90s resurgence when I discovered that bands other than England and the US had bands in the 60s-80s too, thanks to CD reissues and the internet.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 05:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This website pays me a ton of money to be a prog head......although I really don't like prog but hey its money.
You're right!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:06
told too many times before:

For short:

Stand Up age 6 (in 69)
Beatles & Stones - age 9
Crime of the Century in 74 the second day of its release (age 11)
Prog floodgates opened the next day: Crimson, Genesis, etc...

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:54

I just like music.

Always a pleasure to see you!

I am always working on music, even if I don't have an instrument in front of me!

I can tell you the next Epignosis album has been titled The Way Things Were.  It's looking to be about twelve songs or so.

I hope you are doing well and even thriving in these times.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:31
Grew up on FM radio in its heyday - it was like being alive when the dinosaurs ruled.  It was easy - listen, ID what you dig, then head to the local record stores with paper route profits on Saturday morning to scour the bins for what you done dug.  One of the first was the intro to All Good People.....then devouring the Yes Album, couldn't have been more than 12.  I bet the Yes Album was a gateway for many prog fans.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:51
My brother came home from boarding school for Thanksgiving vacation. He had all this new music he'd been exposed to. I was mildly interested (a lot of it was heavy guitar oriented).

I went outside to perform my nightly basketball drills under the lights of our driveway when brother Brian opened his bedroom windows (which were over my basketball "court"), placed his "big" audio speakers into his window boxes, and started blasting Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards--playing the album the whole way through--while I worked out. I was, from that event on, a changed person.

Three years previously, I had heard someone in a local band play the portamento strip on a keyboard before playing their cover of this new hit by Grand Funk Railroad called "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)" 

A year later I was coerced by my "wild" friend to go to a community-wide dance for middle schoolers. While I tried avoiding the usual conspiratorial girls, I found myself sucked into the performances of the live band(s?) up on stage. I remember them playing theatric versions of "Maggie May," "Stairway to Heaven," "Locomotive Breath," and "Aqualung."

Other than that, in the 1960s, my mother was a Beatles fanatic and dad a Latin pop-jazz nut (mostly Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendez).

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 10:48
It all started with hearing my brother's 'Tull records as a young nymph in high school. Then he took me to their 'Passion Play concert in '73. Then my friend across the street turned me onto PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' 'Trick' around the time of their release. From then on, it was all downhill.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:02
I wouldn't call myself a proghead either. I'm a music addict where prog rock takes on a prominent role in this addition. When i hear words like proghead it sounds like a fan who is only emerged in that one particular genre.

I'm a proghead but also a metalhead, jazzhead, classicalhead, electronichead but definitely not a Deadhead. Sorry Jerry Garcia Big smile

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:02
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It all started with hearing my brother's 'Tull records as a young nymph in high school. Then he took me to their 'Passion Play concert in '73. Then my friend across the street turned me onto PFM's Chocolate Kings and Genesis' 'Trick' around the time of their release. From then on, it was all downhill.

a nymph? nymphs are female; the male equivalent is a satyr

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:06
I always was for rock / hard rock and guitars. My earliest tastes were Creedence CR, Led Zeppelin.. (only IV at that time) from my dad; around 5th grade (1989, age: 10), it was Guns 'n Roses with school mates. I also had a cassette by Bon Jovi and another one by Europe by then, he. Poison too, recorded from the radio. Deep Purple we used to hear at the car's stereo with my dad. Some Beatles of course with my dad on vacation trips.

I think I have some natural affinity to music though; thankfully, for instance, I've always have had good hearing and intonation too, so I think it was 'natural' to delve further in music complexity. Also comes to confirm this my interest in the guitar since I was around 11 years old.

The rest is a matter of taste maybe.. I've always liked 'retro' and sci-fi things (not for being 'retro' obviously but is what I truly like).

I discovered prog a bit by myself. I'm the oldest of my brothers so it couldn't have coming that way. Neither by radio, tv, friends or school mates at that pre-internet, pre-cd era. One summer we heard 'Wish You Were Here' song, among others, all along with a group of friends. Then back home we passed outside a record store at the local mall and I asked my dad for 2 bucks to buy the cassette (something I rarely did, but this one deserved it.. ; ) ). Needless to say, at first I didn't like or understand the rest of the album, and always was rewinding side 2 to hear Have a Cigar and WYWH. But then 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part VI' started slowly creeping in each time... : )

The next original cassette that went round and round at the car's stereo on mornings on the road to school was JT's Thick As A Brick, that a friend lent me from his older brother.

From there it was all exchange with class mates, and they in turn with their older brothers. That way came Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Rush and Marillion. It was already the CD era. Jimi Hendrix too.

Later, already at university in the late 90's, came Zappa, PFM, Maxophone, Gong, Mahavishnu Orchestra through friends, and I had a glimpse of the less known stuff: Caravan, Renaissance and the like. Gentle Giant. Return to Forever (RIP Chick Cry) I knew from the last years of school and somehow rediscovered it later, along with Weather Report.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Perhaps like Hermaphroditus he was more than what he seemed to be. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greekmythology/images/4/46/Hermaphroditus02.jpg

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 11:24
It was a great time to be a young teenager with Woodstock, the Lunar landings and the Beatles (among others) but the biggest aspect looking back was the OPENESS of the rock scene, where young people where looking at the whole gamut of offerings there out in the market. Great example: there was this record store in Montreal called L'Alternatif (the title says it all) where there was a huge aquarium, staff that where always smiling (Wink) and the offer of listening booths. I remember vividly picking up Wishbone Ash, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Oldfield, Traffic and Robin Trower albums , all in one swoop. There was no labelling or allegiance to just one style , like later decades. All were open to discovery of classical, jazz, rock, R'n B, funk, electronic ,etc... everything flew. Even some pop! 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:18

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/greekmythology/images/4/46/Hermaphroditus02.jpg

Gender identity of course has been a much debated issue. Let's not forget about gender fluidity and non-binary gender designations (beyond being a hermaphrodite). There's a wide spectrum of identity and I don't like to stereotype. I have a friend who identifies as "They" and doesn't like being put in the male or female box, and of course many transition and have gender dysphoria.

Not seriously speaking, I wonder how many with satyriasis half-identify with the furry community (a half fursona one might say)? Me, I'm all minotaur, or is that a crock of bull? Progheads, bullheads, it's all the same to me (I say as a means to segue back to the initial discussion).

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 12:37
^
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 20:56

I just like music.

Always a pleasure to see you!

I am always working on music, even if I don't have an instrument in front of me!

I can tell you the next Epignosis album has been titled The Way Things Were.  It's looking to be about twelve songs or so.

I hope you are doing well and even thriving in these times.
All good my friend....Keep me posted on when The Way Things Were drops so I can buy it.

Cheers Brother...!

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 21:29

Certainly not an inheritance.  Maybe prodded in that direction by some friends as I was getting into rock. 

It so happened that through my prior background in Indian music, I made some not so obvious connections to prog.  Connections that only people like me who listened to the same composer and also got into prog seem to be aware of.

Listen to the intro of this track and you can hear at least some resemblance to something Genesis would have done circa SEBTP (particularly some sections of Cinema Show).

So...when I heard Firth of the Fifth for the first time, it felt like coming home to me.  I didn't know before then that there was a whole style of rock that borrowed classical sounding licks and appropriated them in rock. I was delighted because as much as I like straight up rock, the variety and unpredictability of prog along with it being strongly rooted in a conventionally melodic foundation (speaking only of symph prog here) evoked for me the music I had been listening to all through my formative years. 

It was bands like KC or Gentle Giant that took more effort on my part to crack.  Likewise the first exposure to old Metallica was a shock to me, but an exciting shock. That was the kind of music I had to adjust to.  But Genesis/pre-TFTO Yes was like listening to the music I had always loved but in a different language - English. It's also why I found stuff like Canterbury easier to get into than prog metal.  Prog metal required adjusting to the sonic palate (and also shutting out the biased thinking of 'true' metalheads according to which any innovation is 'selling out'), but the classic, melodic 70s prog was so comfortable to get into for me and yet also fresh and different in many ways.

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: February 14 2021 at 00:42
These happened around the same time 91-93 when I was in my early teens:

-The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on TV. Not prog per se but close enough for me.
-A close relative moving near by. He had some Pink Floyd, Genesis, Deep Purple, etc. records I could listen to and borrow. 
-Realizing that the local library had a collection records and that you could borrow them. 

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: February 14 2021 at 01:00
I'd take exception to being called a Proghead in the same way I'm able to enjoy broccoli but ain't a vegetarian. At secondary school I was the only person who liked ELP, the Clash, Duke Ellington, Bartok and Black Sabbath in equal measure but didn't have the hairstyle or uniform to match. For me, this is maybe closer to what the original 'Punk' ethos was supposed to be about i.e. the primacy of the individual over communal values. It certainly makes for a solitary path and I still find the myopic tribalism of Prog, Punk, Jazz, Classical and Metal engineered by marketing tiresome and pitiful in the extreme. I've also never needed drugs to open my mind to anything. I think Timothy Leary was a bit of a dick.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 15 2021 at 14:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The beginning of my interest in music in 1970 (aged 10/11) coincided with the emergence of prog, so it was the perfect match. Thumbs Up

Not unusual for 1959 births. Many bands of the period had something progressive in their music, so time was on our side. I remember I found a single by Ekseption: Feelings with Italian Concerto as the B-side. I liked side A and fell in love with side B. The next sign was in March 1971 or so, when A Girl Named You by Supersister entered the charts.
In June 1972 I heard Pink Floyd for the first time (Relics) and this marked my final conversion to prog.

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 17 2021 at 09:02
My older brother went away to University and on Christmas break came back with a cassette tape that had Fragile on one side and Tarkus on the other...

It was a wrap.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: February 18 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'd take exception to being called a Proghead in the same way I'm able to enjoy broccoli but ain't a vegetarian. At secondary school I was the only person who liked ELP, the Clash, Duke Ellington, Bartok and Black Sabbath in equal measure but didn't have the hairstyle or uniform to match. For me, this is maybe closer to what the original 'Punk' ethos was supposed to be about i.e. the primacy of the individual over communal values. It certainly makes for a solitary path and I still find the myopic tribalism of Prog, Punk, Jazz, Classical and Metal engineered by marketing tiresome and pitiful in the extreme. I've also never needed drugs to open my mind to anything. I think Timothy Leary was a bit of a dick.
I always enjoy your posts Iain. They are much missed lately.

-------------

Posted By: Lieutenant_Lan
Date Posted: February 21 2021 at 13:05
Listens to As I Am by Dream Theater once. 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: February 21 2021 at 20:47
I just like listening to good music. If it comes from Prog that's what I listen to.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk