Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did you become a proghead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you become a proghead?
    Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:44
Here's a question that should spawn a variety of different answers. How did you, fellow forum users, become progheads? What was the reason for you to dive into this not-so-obvious ocean of music and what made you stay? Did you discover prog by yourself or did you inherit this good taste from someone?
I'm curious to see what stories there are.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:53
I'm one of the fortunate ones who was growing up through the emergence of psychedelia and it's transition into prog, so I've been there for the whole journey to date. The biggest influence were local bands, who happened to include the local school band, Genesis and the University of Surrey, Guildford Technical College, The Civic Hall and a load of other venues that had live music of every kind. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:55
Heard a lot from local students when I were a small lad. A very unique house on a street that was not a street and a lot of foliage, pathways between houses and everyone playing this ultra interesting music.. Tull, Crim, Floyd, Moodies, Stones, Cream and The Who... at different houses. And Kindergarten.

Odd child.

;)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 04:00
I've had a natural affinity for "busy" music since before I could even articulate what that really was, or could mean. Naturally drawn to stuff like jazz and fusion, which I admittedly have to thank my father for since he'd have it on on occasion. As a teen I always enjoyed harder rock and metal, eventually reaching out to what this site would consider tech/extreme prog, and realizing it wasn't so much the heaviness on its own as it was the well-arranged and composed heaviness. This led me backwards to the 70's and I essentially realized bands like Yes and KC are really what my ears were pining for, I just enjoyed (and still do) the occasional metal/extreme/tech veneer, lol.

Prog is prog is prog for my ears. I just go heavier or lighter depending on my present mood and tastes! One day that could be Captain Beefheart Trout Mask Replica, the next it could be Death Individual Thought Patterns. Then Yes Close to The Edge. Then Gorguts Obscura. Then Henry Cow, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 04:51
In 6th form college I was mainly into Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Scorpions etc. A friend did me a mix tape with Genesis Hogweed and the Knife plus a couple of Yes tracks, can't remember which, after that I started exploring mainly Floyd, Tull, Supertramp, Oldfield and the like.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:07
As a pre-teen (late 60's) I was always listening to my AM 'transistor' radio. All 3 stations that it picked up. Around 1970 my mom brought home a AM/FM Cassette machine that had been left in a lost and found for over 6 months. She gave it to me for my bedroom. FM? What's that? Boy...did I soon learn. Radio stations from Detroit at 9pm...well you should know how the story goes from there. One of the first songs I remember hearing on the FM dial that really stuck was ELP's Knife Edge. I had no idea who it was 'cause they didn't always tell you the songs and most times they would play 30 minutes of stuff before naming the songs (if they did at all). Eventually I learned about the band's first album and was hooked.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:37
I loved music from a very early age. My dad acquired a large amount of second hand vinyl when he bought me my first mono record player in the early 70's. It was a diverse collection of many 60's pop and some country and easy listening. I 'progressed' onto ABBA... Then in the late 70's a friend played me The War of the Worlds. At the same time, several quirky chart singles caught my ear; Germ Free Adolescents by X-Ray Spex and Making Plans for Nigel by XTC. Then I heard Another Brick in the Wall by Floyd, then at the start of the 80's I took a shine to heavy metal.

A fellow metalhead at school leant me Exit Stage Left by Rush and Script for a Jesters Tear by Marillion around 1983. Then I heard Genesis on a late night radio show, and the rest is history. So I always had an ear for quirky music, that very few other people I knew seemed to like, and prog rock seemed a natural progression from that.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 05:45
It was 45 + years ago so I mostly forget. I liked early Floyd as I was a fan of psychedelic music, so it probably started from that. And early Yes and KC caught my eye also. Early Moody Blues captured my attention too, but I only thought of them as a trippy rock band. Still do

Edited by SteveG - February 12 2021 at 05:53
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:02
The beginning of my interest in music in 1970 (aged 10/11) coincided with the emergence of prog, so it was the perfect match. Thumbs Up
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:12
Tull .
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:14
At the age of 3 until i think 7, I had a turntable and I was used to spend days playing the 45rpms of my elder brother and sister. I can remember to have listened to Animals, Creedence Clearwater Revival and also classical music. In particular a LP of Chopin. At 8 I was schocked by 2001 A Space Odyssey, and other than Strauss I understood that music could be challenging thanks to Ligety.
At about 11 I had a tape with ELP Trilogy. It really started then. 
Later, groeing up I started playing guitar and I was mainly into blues and country/finger picking plus some Italian singer-songwriters and a bit of PFM/Orme.
My passion for prog exploded when I discovered Meddle and most of all, Atom Heart Mother. The connections with classical music did the job. At the end of the 70s I discovered Heaven And Hell by Vangelis, then Rick Wakeman, Yes and so on.
I never liked Genesis too much, even now, so I wonder whether I am really a proghead or not.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

At the age of 3 until i think 7, I had a turntable and I was used to spend days playing the 45rpms of my elder brother and sister. I can remember to have listened to Animals, Creedence Clearwater Revival and also classical music. In particular a LP of Chopin. At 8 I was schocked by 2001 A Space Odyssey, and other than Strauss I understood that music could be challenging thanks to Ligety.
At about 11 I had a tape with ELP Trilogy. It really started then. 
Later, groeing up I started playing guitar and I was mainly into blues and country/finger picking plus some Italian singer-songwriters and a bit of PFM/Orme.
My passion for prog exploded when I discovered Meddle and most of all, Atom Heart Mother. The connections with classical music did the job. At the end of the 70s I discovered Heaven And Hell by Vangelis, then Rick Wakeman, Yes and so on.
I never liked Genesis too much, even now, so I wonder whether I am really a proghead or not.
Turn in your prog badge Luca ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:50
In 1972, a friend told me about a band named Jethro Tull. A few days later, when I went to a record store, I saw Stand Up and the cover blew my mind away. I bought the record and when I got home and played it, I was hooked, and I've been hooked since then.
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:01
My musical life story, grossly oversimplified:

I discovered radio when I was about 13. I quickly got bored with top-40 pap and found a station that played anything from the Moody Blues to the Mothers, from Harry Partch to the Incredible String Band. One evening I heard the Nice's "America," and that was it: this was what I wanted to listen to.

Years passed, radio got stupider, I lost touch with friends with similar tastes, and I pretty much abandoned all forms of rock for classical music, with some Celtic, bluegrass and other oddments for variety. I'd occasionally check in record shops to see what Robert Fripp and Steve Morse were up to, and that was it for the last quarter of the 20th century.

Shortly before the turn of the century I finally got online and discovered an active prog rock community there. That awakened my dormant interest, and here I am at PA.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:01
When I was born, one of PA's all-time greatest albums, Kind of Blue was playing. That was all it took.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:28
Just got out of High School.  I had a small music collection with Elton, Eagles, Who, Bill Withers, Bread...

A neighbor played me "Musical Box" and the entirety of Trick of the Tail (It was relatively new at the time).
I've been a prog freak ever since.  Even more since around 96-97, since I rediscovered newer prog. Numerous festivals and 1000's of CDs later, here I am.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:26
I wouldn't exactly call myself a proghead; there is too much other music I like. I got into this music via my brother Frank, who is exactly 10 years older than me. He usually had to babysit me because my parents both worked, and he always had a lot of friends around who smoked hashish and listened to all sorts of weird music, including prog, but also hard rock, blues rock, free jazz or classical music (very often the weirder compositions of classical music). Lots of Krautrock too.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 12 2021 at 09:10

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:41
Once upon a time a long time ago in a galaxy far far away....My Road to Prog Enlightenment - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 1 (progarchives.com)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:01
I ordered a special cocktail and drank it for 40 days and 40 nights and then i went to a cave in Peru and mediated on Frank Zappa album covers for an undisclosed amount of time. Once i emerged i loved all things prog and then i shed my skin and grew a new exoskeleton.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 09:07
I'm born in 66 and I'm the youngest of 4 brothers / sisters, and also younger than most of my cousins with whom we spent a lot of time.
I grew up listening to the music they were playing in the early 70s, the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, The Who, but also Genesis, ELP, Yes, KC...
The first Prog album that made a deep impression on me was Tarkus, and that's why it has remained a favourite ever since.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>