Print Page | Close Window

Which prog band would you join? And why?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126020
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 15:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which prog band would you join? And why?
Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Subject: Which prog band would you join? And why?
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 03:46
Let's suppose that you have a time machine for some weird reason, and you are capable of going back in time... you could travel back to yesterday to finish some chores, you could travel back ten years ago, or you could end up in 1960-something and become a raging pothead... possibilities are innumerable.
But the plot we are looking for is the following: You travel back in time in order to join any prog band and you can take any of the band duties: vocals, keys, bass, whatever you feel like.
So, which prog band would you go back and join? And why? What instrument would you play, and would you change the direction that this band was going to?

I think this thread will spawn some very interesting answers; I will need more time to give an answer myself.

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 04:45
Interesting question, but to be quite honest, my answer is none of them. The answer is simply because I rather like all of my favourite bands quite enough without my “spoiling” them with my contributions, because, by and large, you would be replacing an extremely accomplished musician who adds so much to that band.

I dabbled with the drums a bit when I was a misbegotten yoof, and I wish I had carried on with that. Ditto the guitar. I took guitar lessons, but haven’t picked one up since I was 18, and I regret that.

Personally speaking, then, if I were able to go back, I would love to have been involved with a band, either as a manager, on the road, doing tax and accountancy. That would be great fun, because it would be a way of being with a band without detracting from them.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:41
^That's so funny.
Not funny HaHa, but funny strange. As I was reading the original post I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'd want to be the band manager for sure. Like the mighty Laz I'm a nit quite drummer. Unlike Laz I didn't take guitar lessons. I took accordion lessons, for a very brief while when I was around 12yrs old. Damn that thing was heavy. I quickly moved onto the trumpet at 13, much easier to carry to lessons at the local high school. But as I got into music more I didn't hear much trumpet in the bands I was loving and there was no way I was dragging a piano or organ to lessons and back LOL. I actually asked my music teacher if I could do drums or piano, but there was no piano or drums in the band, Mostly just wind instruments as my failing memory recalls.

So my answer is easy...I'd love to have been ELP's manager. For all the right reasons.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:52
I have absolutely *zero musical talent and never learned to play anything, but I always dreamed of being the bass player in a symphonic prog band.

*even less 'talent' than The Shaggs, but that's a whole other debate.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 05:59
Assuming I could play as well as the musician and not destroy any band chemistry. I would be Bill Bruford from 1971 to 2001. Not change anything, but just be a part of the superb albums/bands he has played in. Yes, KC, Chris Squire, Bruford, U.K., Genesis, National Health, Earthworks. 

And I would like to visit the future in 500 years and be the bass player of a stellar prog band, yet unknown. Wink

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 07:24
I would love to play for the Martin Barre Band. Those guys are having so much fun playing their music, is hard to resists the temptation. Unfortunately, I'm not that good of a bass or guitar player to make the cut.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:04
It's an interesting question. Having no training in playing an instrument but occasionally using them to make weird noises, I tend to use software more to get what I want. So I don't think any band in the past would be interested in me.

On the other hand, if I could travel back in time and magically know how to play an instrument, I think I'd pick Thinking Plague. I would play anything they'd put in front of me. It would just be an honor and I wouldn't try to change the direction they took.

One individual in which I'd like to change their direction would be Scott Walker. I'd try to convince him to drop the cover songs and the flirting with country music from the 1970-1974 period and dive into the avant-garde in 1970. But, who am I to mess with a legend? Maybe he needed to take that path in order to give us the treasures that came out from 1984 onward?

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:37
I would say Jethro Tull, but Ian Anderson is such a D-bag I wouldn't last for more than a couple albums.

Fairport Convention, then. Maybe fill in on tours for Pink Floyd like Snowy White. You know, casual stuff.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 11:55
I would have liked to join the Beatles but Lennon and McCartney would have been jealous of finally having a good songwriter in the group.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 12:48
Ive never been a good enough musician (though probably could have been if i'd stuck at it..) and frankly i prefer listening to other's music rather than creating it (probably laziness and lack of creative vision as well as lack of skillWink) The first job i did when i left school was work at a local venue when bands played there and i just so wanted to be a roadie attached to a band.. i took my first tentative steps by joining an agency and very rapidly discovered i was a home-loving country mouse and not a globe trotting, hard living, rock n rolling roadie at all!

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 15:44
I would have loved to play bass for Yes.  However, having seen (and met) Mr. Christopher Squire many times, including CTTE tour (22 September 1972 in Chicago) and many time since, I'm afraid I would have just stunk the place up!  

Mind you, I'm not bad on the old 4 string, and if I did the wood-shed like Squire did after his bad LSD trip, who knows?  I'm very happy to live with the fact that I have trod the rock & roll stage in my youth, played with some amazing folks, and have met nearly all all of my prog heroes.

This was exactly how Squire looked when I first saw him, boots & all.   He was like a God.  Plus I cannot sing nearly as well as he did.  So, let's just say we all are lucky that I didn't return the invitation to join Yes.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 16:22
I assumed even those with limited or no musical talent would magically have it, equal to the player of their choice. Correct?

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 20:31
Now that Martin Barre's place in Jethro Tull seems to be vacant, I don't need a time machine, just need... to learn to play guitar well enough.
And get to met Ian Anderson.
And then persuade him.
Forget it, I'll take the machine and go back to see the concert recorded for Genesis Live.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 22:08
Being in one of Zappa's line-ups would probably be the most fun.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 23:49
I'd like to go back and join up with Split Enz so I could get to play the spoons.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

This is what I am circulating around as well.

Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 01:37
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

From what I've read by folks like Steve Vai, Zappa was quite the perfectionist/slave-driver! 

However, the live shows were amazing, I saw him twice.  

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 03:35
My secret dream: an acoustic guitars duo with David Gilmour or, totally different, adding some extra keyboard to Tangerine Dream.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:16
Just let me stand on stage with Yes while they make noise circa '72-'74. 

I'll blow a whistle in time; Jamie Muir it or something.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:20
I would ruin any established prog band that has ever existed. I have no musical talent at all. I can kind of carry a tune, but I would still not muddy the waters of any prog band, even the ones I am not that fond of. 

If I got to go back with actual musical talent, then...no, I still wouldn't do it.
I have no interest in being in a band or performing at all.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:26
I'd quite fancy adding lead guitar to some early Caravan stuff. Pye Hastings played a bit of lead guitar but has said he always preferred playing rhythm guitar, especially when his guitar of choice was a Rick electric 12-string!!

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 04:52
I have a special affection for England, mainly because they're close to home, and I have a close friend who toured Japan with them on their 2006 Kikimimi tour. In reality though, I'm more likely to be employed as a roadie, rather than a fully paid-up band member, bearing in mind my limited musical abilities - not unless they need a tambourine player. Smile

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 06:03
I have no worthwhile musical ability on any instrument, but I can sing very well.
I'd rather like to have performed vocals on the first 4 Camel albums (well 3 since The Snow Goose is instrumental).
Touring would have been a major problem though, as I have a chronic fear of singing in public, which ended my association with my band at university. 

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 07:45
Since we're in fantasy worlds.... StarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStarStar

I dabbled a bit with bass, but gave up after a bit because Squire wouildn't leave Yes and Weather Report hired Jaco instrad of me LOL

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally speaking, then, if I were able to go back, I would love to have been involved with a band, either as a manager, on the road, doing tax and accountancy. That would be great fun, because it would be a way of being with a band without detracting from them.

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^That's so funny.
Not funny HaHa, but funny strange. As I was reading the original post I was thinking the exact same thing. But I'd want to be the band manager for sure. Like the mighty Laz I'm a nit quite drummer.

Rather than being a band manager, I'd rather be a record engineer/producer and record label owner, signing them better bands for recording deals with better percentage deals and have them keep their rights over their musicApprove.
Surely one the word gets out, most bands would rush in to get signed and I'd have my pick and be fairly selective about which I'd choose.ClapStar

Accessorily, I'd also own a couple of mid-sized venues (like the Fillmores) and have them play full concerts in the band's prime, filming and recording their sets then hand them personally (not to their managers) the films for them to exploit the way they would want ...Cool

Aaaaaand while we're at it fantasizing away, I'd also own a few radio stations in key cities, and have the better records play out regularly. LOL

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 07:54
Keys for Genesis--from Nursery crime to W and W.Tongue

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:14
Well I had a dream where I was on stage with Yes playing keyboards so there's my answer. 

Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:15
On the subject of band managers and radio stations, if I was England's manager, I'd promote them to be given "heavy rotation" on WKRP in Cincinnati to break the American market. Tongue

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

wait, do you think you'd do just as good of a job as Tony Banks? ConfusedLOL

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 11:05
Blue Oyster Cult...they need more cowbells!!!  Although, like Laz, I'm more the manager, accountancy and tax guy than the music maker.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 11:27
Assuming my musical skills would be up to par (98% guitar, but I dabble in banjo, mandolin, percussion, and recorders), which they are not, it would be cool to play with a jam band like Phish, or perhaps a collaboration with Jon Anderson. Maybe full-time guitars for ELP. We could have called it FLEP. lol.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 12:24
Gentle Giant - playing the triangle or something. But mainly to stop them trying to go more mainstream and try to put out another Octopus instead of The Missing Piece.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

From what I've read by folks like Steve Vai, Zappa was quite the perfectionist/slave-driver! 

However, the live shows were amazing, I saw him twice.  

Well this would be assuming my piano, vocal, and maybe saxophone skills would be up to snuff in all relevant categories (performance, sight reading, improvisation). Much better than they are now. Maybe some day I'll be actually worthy of having been a member. I certainly have the sense of humor for it, as well as a flair for the theatrical and absurd.

My music partner and I actually put together a concert of his music at our college. It was great night, turned a lot of people on to Frank. And we did the schtick and everything. Our secret word of the night was "Olé" (the slogan of our mascot, the Gaucho). I'd love to do more concerts like that. I'd send a link to the video, but it's unlisted on YouTube, and will remain that way. If any word gets out to ZFT that's it's gone public, they'll be on our A$$es legally speaking.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:03
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Gentle Giant - playing the triangle or something. But mainly to stop them trying to go more mainstream and try to put out another Octopus instead of The Missing Piece.

Sounds like a good idea, but for me, it would be to get Van der Graaf Generator to rethink ALT... to examine the successful parts of Present CD2 in order to create an improved version of ALT.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Assuming my musical skills would be up to par (98% guitar, but I dabble in banjo, mandolin, percussion, and recorders), which they are not, it would be cool to play with a jam band like Phish, or perhaps a collaboration with Jon Anderson. Maybe full-time guitars for ELP. We could have called it FLEP. lol.
You would be right at home with the Strawbs though.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:19
AC/DC

because they rock

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: PJMarten
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 14:36
I used to drum, and I still have that rhythm in me. I don't want to replace any existing legend so Yes, ELP, and Rush are out of the question. I'd rather play alongside these musicians, so my choice is going to be 70's Sweden's Kaipa. This way I can play right next to my rock icons, Roine Stolt and Hans Lundin, while playing their beautiful rock music.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 16:15
This is a tough one. But it would have to be something with avant-garde elements. Maybe Can.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 19:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

wait, do you think you'd do just as good of a job as Tony Banks? ConfusedLOL

of course I could.Evil Smile 

(don't think anyone can do what he did during this time frame--so much great perfect tasteful playing)

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 01:40
Okay so this is just PURE FANTASY trip right?

I dunno about prog bands. I mean, it would surely be a helluva adventure to tour with Zappa & the Mothers, or record 10+ great albums in a row with Jethro, or push the boundaries of rock improvisation with King Crimson for 8 months and get ditched. But to be honest none of these are my "dream" scenarios. I think I'd have the best time in a later era, say, 80s-90s, being part of some metal group, i.e. Type O Negative (top pick for mixture of goth, epic, doom and fun), Slayer, Death; or maybe some huge names for ca$h flow and touring all over the globe (tallica, Megadeth, Maiden)...

Okay, let's find a compromise between the two: Deep Purple!

-------------
TOP20 Songs
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124211" rel="nofollow - Genesis
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125999" rel="nofollow - Rush

Posted By: bartymj
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 02:14
Like many, I have zero musical talent, so would just have to be a tribute act for Bez from the Happy Mondays. Jumping about and playing the maracas doesn't really work in most prog though sadly. As I'd offer zero improvement to any band I'll just have to say I'd join Mostly Autumn for the desperate and unlikely possibility that my little crush on Livvy Sparnenn would lead anywhere.

Posted By: haerskar
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 07:46
If it was 1972 I would become the tuba player with Gentle Giant on Octopus. Gentle Giant always needed a tuba player.

-------------
" First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that sh*t and just play." Charlie Parker

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:06
I would like to play piano with Magma, perhaps sing a bit too

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:33
Hi,

None, really.

I'm into theater and film, and I would want to enhance the whole thing with film and some theatrical things, and I think that the band's members might not like/enjoy that as much ... the one thing for sure, would be that it would make the band "different" and "special" in its own way, and not have to be compared to JT or YES, or ELP ... and while that would likely take it away from PA, in many ways, I don't care ....

You're either into the music itself, or into PA ... and PA is NOT the history of music and what has survived, thus, the desire to do something different is valuable to me ... 

As an example, of all the "live" theater I have ever seen, what do I remember the best? THE NATIONAL THEATER OF THE DEAF ... with its incredible ability to show pantomime within a "story" format and incredible intelligence and creativity. I doubt anyone can even imagine its amazing show! The other? THE ETC LAMAMMA GROUP doing "Carmilla" on a set with a large red couch that turned into a hearse, that turned into a bed and had film in one of its windows as the "set" ... and you saw the landscape go by as the actors acted through it ... it was the most amazing thing that even "progressive" music could not do, and had to resort to pyrotechnics to show its creativity, so the fans would think there is something "hot" in this whole thing ... and for the majority of the bands ... it was just a show! And what a massive BS it was, too!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

None, really.

That's all you had to type. The rest has nothing to do with the object of the thread. And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants in band practice. The minute you start talking about "hits", there'd be an instantaneous and unanimous ejection vote by the rest of the band. LOL

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:31
Renaissance,for obvious reasons. Leave over " musical differences" and join Curved Air.

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hi,

None, really.

And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants 

Not just the rest of the group LOL

Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:07
I would have enjoyed being a roadie for these chaps! 

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:26
Originally posted by haerskar haerskar wrote:

If it was 1972 I would become the tuba player with Gentle Giant on Octopus. Gentle Giant always needed a tuba player.

I vaguely remember there was a strange band in the 70's that used something like a French horn (or similar brass instrument), but I'm darned if I can remember their name now.

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Interesting question, but to be quite honest, my answer is none of them. The answer is simply because I rather like all of my favourite bands quite enough without my “spoiling” them with my contributions, because, by and large, you would be replacing an extremely accomplished musician who adds so much to that band.

I dabbled with the drums a bit when I was a misbegotten yoof, and I wish I had carried on with that. Ditto the guitar. I took guitar lessons, but haven’t picked one up since I was 18, and I regret that.

Of all the answers, this one, the first one, is my favorite. 

But, I did like to jam. We'd get in a room, tune and do mic checks, flip on all the switches, flip open our beers, turn of the lights, and then push "record" and jam for hours. 

I think I would have soared as an acid-taking member of some commune band like Amon Düül or Ash Ra Tempel, The Grateful Dead or Phish. As for my instrument: I'll take anything you put in my hands except the drum kit (even the Simmons or Roland Octopads are just beyond me); flute, sax, guitar, bass, ChapmanStick, trumpet, synths, MIDI-anything, Fairlight, Fender Rhodes, pipe organ (please: not the Hammond or Wurlitzer), I'm game!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 13:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

You would be right at home with the Strawbs though.

Good call. I would like that still.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 15:36
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Originally posted by haerskar haerskar wrote:

I vaguely remember there was a strange band in the 70's that used something like a French horn (or similar brass instrument), but I'm darned if I can remember their name now.

SOT use tuba instead of bass.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 02:59
Rabhi Abou-Khalil uses tuba a lot, usually played by Michel Godard. here two videos:

Friede and I have been at several concerts of Rabih Abou-Khalil, and they were always a great experience. he is not only a great musician, he has amazing language skills too. he grew up in Beirut and came to Germany at age 21. usually people who learn a language at that age have a heavy accent, but he speaks perfect German without any accent at all (I still have one), and he speaks perfect English and French too.

at his concerts he tells hilarious made-up stories between the songs. so there is a double experience at his gigs

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:23
I'm still racking my brains, I'm pretty sure there was an obscure 1970's band that used a tuba as a main instrument.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:08

I'm still racking my brains, I'm pretty sure there was an obscure 1970's band that used a tuba as a main instrument.
The only band that springs to mind is Sky, with Herbie Flowers playing "Tuba Smarties" on Sky 2 (1980). Smile

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 05:33
On reflection it may have been a French horn.

-------------

Posted By: kyrandia
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 05:41
For the acoustic Guitar : Jethro Tull
For the electric Guitar : Gong 
Smile

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 06:55
If I could travel back in time and be in the late 60s and early 70s in my late teens and early 20s (I was born 1969) I would love to be part of the wild bunch of either Amon Düül II, Hawkwind or Gong, probably slightly preferring the Düüls (though on second thoughts when thinking of Stacia... Forbidden fruit; I am happily married to Jean, though I am certain she wouldn't mind a threesome with Stacia. Or with Renate). I would play drums and sing.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 08:39

Hi,

None, really.

That's all you had to type. The rest has nothing to do with the object of the thread. And you are correct about the rest of the group not wanting to hear your rants in band practice. The minute you start talking about "hits", there'd be an instantaneous and unanimous ejection vote by the rest of the band. LOL

Hi,

I had more actors and actresses wanting to work with me than you can imagine ... they knew it would be an experience and then some ... but of course, in rock music ... there is no such thing and most bands and kids are not smart enough to know about anything else but 4 beats ... !

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

If I could travel back in time and be in the late 60s and early 70s in my late teens and early 20s (I was born 1969) I would love to be part of the wild bunch of either Amon Düül II, Hawkwind or Gong, probably slightly preferring the Düüls (though on second thoughts when thinking of Stacia... Forbidden fruit; I am happily married to Jean, though I am certain she wouldn't mind a threesome with Stacia. Or with Renate). I would play drums and sing.

I have Stacia on my Twitter - she's a lovely lady, but doesn't tweet very often. Tho I never did get to a Hawkwind gig back in the day when she was their 'dancer'.

-------------

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:47

Hi,

None, really.

Hi,

I had more actors and actresses wanting to work with me than you can imagine ... they knew it would be an experience and then some ... but of course, in rock music ... there is no such thing and most bands and kids are not smart enough to know about anything else but 4 beats ... !

Yes, I can see you in an adaptation of Beckett's Waiting for Godot, which would be instead titled "Waiting for the Band" about a lone character sitting in front of his house waiting for the group to come pick him up for their first gig, but the band's van never comes by.  

The lone actor then soliloquizes about "hits" and the band "knowing nothing but 4 beats" and how they will amount to nothing but being in a genre on Prog Archives. Unfortunately, the play only lasts one night as the audience leaves about 10 minutes into the actor's rambling rant. 

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 10:17

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I have Stacia on my Twitter - she's a lovely lady, but doesn't tweet very often. Tho I never did get to a Hawkwind gig back in the day when she was their 'dancer'.

Any chance of you tweeting the voluptuous Stacia and asking whether she would, in fact, be willing to have a threesome with the Baldies? This is the burning question in progdom, and requires answering as a matter of the utmost urgency.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:24
I could try, but she hasn't tweeted since January.

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:33
I would join today's Yes, in order to get rid of all of the present musicians and then invite and play triangle with Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Rabin and Levin...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:10
As a kid it was to play drums in ELP (this surely doesn't need any explanation although it would be nice if, as well as watching my hero play keyboards, I could also have the talent and ripped physique of Carl Palmer lol). But I am so lazy I would be better off playing drums in AC/DC or ZZ Top LOL

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:24
It's a nice game, let's say I'd be the top skilled musician I always wanted to be but never was, and even be respected enough to have a proper effect on that band... I'd probably join Tangerine Dream in 1983 (no attempt to mess around with anything they did earlier) and inject some Holger Czukay-type experimental spirit and genius throwing in field recordings, radio snippets, and soundscapes to make the sugar go away and have some more adventure than they had, in my ears, after that time.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 03:02
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It's a nice game, let's say I'd be the top skilled musician I always wanted to be but never was, and even be respected enough to have a proper effect on that band... I'd probably join Tangerine Dream in 1983 (no attempt to mess around with anything they did earlier) and inject some Holger Czukay-type experimental spirit and genius throwing in field recordings, radio snippets, and soundscapes to make the sugar go away and have some more adventure than they had, in my ears, after that time.

Yes, after "Hyperborea" and the live album "Logos" Tangerine Dream are found wanting.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I would join today's Yes, in order to get rid of all of the present musicians and then invite and play triangle with Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Rabin and Levin...

Well played! Clap

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 17 2021 at 00:48
I’d probably join Dream Theater as the new trombonist

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Cylli Kat (0fficial)
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 18:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I would have liked to join the Beatles but Lennon and McCartney would have been jealous of finally having a good songwriter in the group.

Now THAT was freakin' funny!!!
LOL

-------------
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: https://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=17597" rel="nofollow - Cylli Kat

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 22:56
Can or Neu. I could be a multi-instrumentalist doing a bit of this and that or just make extra racket. It would be amazing to see how they worked in the studio and take part in it. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk